or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Has the anti-incumbent backlash begun?

Has the anti-incumbent backlash begun?

post #1 of 3
Analysis: Open season on political incumbents

Quote:
So much for political kingmakers and the machine, at least in Kentucky and Pennsylvania. National and statewide political officials and operatives watched their chosen candidates fall Tuesday in two separate primaries with two different narratives weaved together by the common thread of anti-establishment.

Republican-turned-Democratic Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania saw his 30-year career in the Senate come to an abrupt end at the hands of Rep. Joe Sestak despite being endorsed by President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell and just about every big-name Democrat.

In Kentucky, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell failed in his attempt to crown Secretary of State Trey Grayson the GOP Senate nominee in the race to succeed retiring Sen. Jim Bunning. Grayson lost in a landslide to Rand Paul, whose campaign was fueled by Tea Party activists.

Quote:
These three races all have unique storylines with their own set of actors, subplots and circumstances. Yet each political contest shares the overarching themes of anti-Washington and anti-establishment exacerbated by a sluggish economy and high unemployment rate.

So...isolated cases (yeah, we all know that Arlen Specter is something of a slime ball no matter how you cut it...but he certainly is iconic of the current establishment)? The beginning of a trend? Is this broad-based (i.e., not just Democrats or Republicans)?

Thoughts?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #2 of 3
I haven't been following this other than hearing a little on cspan but I hope it's a new trend. My impression is that people, both left and right and in between are tracking politicians closer than before and who's supplying them with the most campaign contributions etc. Here's Mother Jones take - http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/05/...sday-primaries

I think America needs at least four main parties. A genuinely left progressive party, the current party which is moderate but right wing in many respects, the current Republican party and a Tea party type party that is super far right, intolerant and hates wildlife. If the party candidates could all get together and split into the relevant camps then at least we'd have a chance of getting what we vote for. Even three major parties would be an improvement.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

and a Tea party type party that is super far right, intolerant and hates wildlife.

I wake up, ready for the day...checking news, AO/PO, etc. and I get to start the day out with a good chuckle...and a roll of my eyes.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Has the anti-incumbent backlash begun?