or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged iPhone 4G part suggests Apple could offer white front panel

Alleged iPhone 4G part suggests Apple could offer white front panel

post #1 of 43
A purported component from Apple's forthcoming fourth-generation iPhone suggests the new handset could have a white external casing on its front side.

As first reported by fscklog, the alleged iPhone 4G part, obtained by Taiwanese website Apple.pro, is white, unlike the current iPhone, as well as the prototype next-generation models previously leaked to the public. The website offered a side-by-side comparison of the white and black front panels, both clearly showing a hole for a forward facing camera.

Apple began offering color options with the iPhone 3G in 2008. The redesign of the iPhone in its second-generation version gave it a polished, plastic back, available in shiny black for the 8GB and 16GB models, or polished white for the 16GB model only. But both the black and white models retained the black front panel surrounding the handset's multitouch LCD screen.

Obtained fourth-generation iPhone prototypes have all shown the device with a black front and back. The new models featured a flat back said to be made of glass or hard plastic that is believed to offer superior reception on the smartphone.

The front and back of the devices were held together by metal sides, another change for the iPhone. The prototype models also featured circular metal volume buttons and a metal vibrate switch.

Earlier Wednesday, cases from China designed to fit the prototype iPhones spotted in the wild were revealed, lending support to earlier rumors that the design of the hardware was near-final. Apple is expected to formally introduce its new iPhone at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, which begins on June 7.

post #2 of 43
Wow. Even uglier.
post #3 of 43
I was very much against this until I saw the following mockup:

(credit: kontheur on MacRumors Forum)

That's hot.
post #4 of 43
It's not bad, I guess. It's like what would have happened if a classic 5G white iPod got it on with an iPhone.

I think I'd still lean toward the black, but I'd like to see the final product on June 7 before making any decision! However, the white does give it a neat, almost retro look. It reminds me a bit of some of the cell phones you might seen in Japan or South Korea.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

... That's hot.

It's a subjective thing of course, but speaking as someone who *always* buys the white gear, .... I ain't buying that.

I would buy a clear glass one if they made it, (by that I mean without the black or white paint on the back plane).

To me, that would be hot.
post #6 of 43
Quote:

That's hot.

Ideal for girls, arabs and p-diddly

I guess choice is good, but the black version would be the only real option IMO.
post #7 of 43
Quote:

That's hot.

Oh ok... That's way better than what I had imagined.
post #8 of 43
Jonathan Ive lost me here. The design of the rumored new iPhone G4 is very worrysome

Of course, it will appeal to the tech savvy pre dominantly male audience. They will love the sleek chunkyness. But hey, they should go Android!

Bring back the curves! I'd like my phone to be feminine <3<3 my hand wants to hug the phone, not just hold it!
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Sexist and racist all in one. Bravo!
post #10 of 43
Love the design of the G4 iPhone, but think the white is ugly.

PS: So are the screws at the bottom going to exist or not?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #11 of 43
I think I would get the black. I do have a white iPhone 3GS and love the color especially since it works well with all cases. That white is too much and needs the screen to be black with the back white like the current 3GS.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Love the design of the G4 iPhone, but think the white is ugly.

PS: So are the screws at the bottom going to exist or not?

The most recent leaks show no screws at the bottom.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #13 of 43
Umm. Could the purported "hole for front-facing camera" just be the proximity sensor?
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The most recent leaks show no screws at the bottom.

I don't understand the sudden 'cut-off' horizontal line about level with the home button, rather than making the aluminium case one solid block - any clarification on that?
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I don't understand the sudden 'cut-off' horizontal line about level with the home button, rather than making the aluminium case one solid block - any clarification on that?

I really like the slits. They are stylistically done. Buy you never know, they might be missing from the final version of the phone but I don't want them to be!
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Jonathan Ive lost me here. The design of the rumored new iPhone G4 is very worrysome

Of course, it will appeal to the tech savvy pre dominantly male audience. They will love the sleek chunkyness. But hey, they should go Android!

Bring back the curves! I'd like my phone to be feminine <3<3 my hand wants to hug the phone, not just hold it!

It's a matter of taste and opinion. Not everyone likes the 3GS and not everyone will like the new iPhone design. For me I care more about the OS and less the hardware design. A lot of people will end up putting it inside a case anyways.

I like the new design better than the 3GS but that's just me.
post #17 of 43
the moment i read "white front panel" i honestly wondered what the hell were they thinking!?!, but in all honestly after seeing mockup posted above it actually doesn't look too bad.

that said, i'd go with the black.
post #18 of 43
Quote:

The last pictures I have seen of the Vietnamese leak shows they are still there. No idea if they are staying, but my guess would be they are. As far as why they are there has been some speculation, but only speculation.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #19 of 43
Quote:

The last pictures I have seen of the Vietnamese leak shows they are still there. No idea if they are staying, but my guess would be they are. As far as why they are there has been some speculation, but only speculation.

I like them. They give it character.
post #20 of 43
When 3g first came out, the white signaled "premium" because only the larger hard drive version had white so maybe they're doing the same thing here.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Sexist and racist all in one. Bravo!

I don't think he was being negative. To be racist or sexist don't you have to imply some demeaning or negative characteristic? Hello Kitty is 'ideal' for Japanese girls.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridikulas View Post

When 3g first came out, the white signaled "premium" because only the larger hard drive version had white so maybe they're doing the same thing here.

I have a black 3G 16 GB, which was the largest capacity at the time, and I purchased it within a month of release. So are you sure about your claim here? Perhaps the situation you describe only lasted a month?

Thompson
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I have a black 3G 16 GB, which was the largest capacity at the time, and I purchased it within a month of release. So are you sure about your claim here? Perhaps the situation you describe only lasted a month?

Thompson

I don't think he meant the 16 GB only came in white but that white only was available by going to the 16GB. There were no 8GB white.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #24 of 43
Quote:

I don't think he meant the 16 GB only came in white but that white only was available by going to the 16GB. There were no 8GB white.

This is what I meant.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

They will love the sleek chunkyness.

sleek clunkyness?

i like the white, matches the iconic earbuds.
post #26 of 43
I'm REALLY hoping these sweet back and white iPhone HDs come with matching white and black stereo Bluetooth headphones (which, incidentally, would be perfect for the iPad). Speaking of the iPad, anybody else think it's likely that apple will release an iPad pro in the fall that matches the new iPhones? It might upset a few early adopters (not me) but IMO early dominance is better than letting some of the copycats mooch off apples innovation yet again. A white iPad Pro would look pretty nice in the hospital.

p.s. If anybody has any doubts about how apple will fare in the mobile ad market, just check out googles ad below for apple pie. Haha, what a joke!
post #27 of 43
People, the hole in the front isn't for a camera. It's for the holo-emitter.

iChat Holograms will make Android look ancient.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #28 of 43
Wrong thread, but this just popped into my head.

Could it be that this "new" design is not the only iPhone to come in the summer?

Perhaps the "old" design with some tweaks for GSM phones and the new design for CDMA, or the other way around.

I'm sure there a multiple reasons why this isn't true, and I'll hear about them, but the idea just poppsed into my head.

Later...
post #29 of 43
Quote:

I'd say check Gizmodo's tear-down for any clues if you're interested.

**I did check and the function of the frame interruptions is not evident.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

sleek clunkyness?

i like the white, matches the iconic earbuds.

White iPhone HD and white earbuds, sounds good
or maybe black iPhone with black earbuds?
post #31 of 43
How about having your phone modded by mixing parts: black on one side and white on the other--harlequin phone, or Michael Jackson model?
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'd say check Gizmodo's tear-down for any clues if you're interested.

**I did check and the function of the frame interruptions is not evident.

Possible explanations for the seams I've heard:

- stress relief (flexing) for an otherwise too rigid part.
- "grabbing" points for external devices/dongles that connect to the docking port or audio jack.
- actual seams (making the radio antenna portion on the bottom "swappable")
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

How about having your phone modded by mixing parts: black on one side and white on the other--harlequin phone, or Michael Jackson model?

Ebony & Ivory?

How about all white, but make the screen negative to match (like hitting "Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-8" on a Mac)? Sort of a bizarro "ghost" phone.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Ι don't think this comment is sexist or racist at all, pc has gone too far, that's what these groups of people usually buy.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Ι don't think this comment is sexist or racist at all, pc has gone too far, that's what these groups of people usually buy.

I'd classify it as stereotypical, but to be racist or sexist you have to imply that the comment makes the pigeonholed group(s) look inferior for it. The biggest offense here is that it just wasn't that funny (sorry SpinDrift).
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

White iPhone HD and white earbuds, sounds good
or maybe black iPhone with black earbuds?

They had many opportunities to do so, but they've never done that that I remember. The earbuds, dock cable and dock could have all been black with black iDevices as far back as the first U2 iPod. White cable & buds made sense when the iPods were all white, but it seems backwards when most iPhones are black these days.

The new white model is more consistent, the white back/black face on the old models didn't make sense to me, almost might as well make it checkered if you're going to mix it up like that. I think I'll pick the black model, but I wouldn't be offended with a white one.
post #37 of 43
Definite TURN-OFF

Black brings out the screen contrast and colors more. Hopefully this is wrong or at least Black is an option.

I'm surprised at how sloppy and how many leaks have come up for the 4G. Not like Apple.
post #38 of 43
Of all the Apple news sites, I think Appleinsider is the most accurate. Which is why it bothers me that they too keep repeating something that is FALSE. Apple's next iPhone is neither a 4th generation Apple device, nor is it a 4G cell technology device.
Consider:
The original iPhone used EDGE. Marketing likes to call EDGE a 2.5G cell technology, but that's bullshit. EDGE is really 3G. The first iPhone technically was a 3G phone.

The iPhone 3G, Apple's second iPhone release, was not a generation bump from the original. It's basically exactly the same phone, with a different baseband radio, and a GPS chip. Even Apple internally considers these two phones from the same generation.

The iPhone 3GS, also a 3G cell tech phone, is a generation bump. Along with the 2nd Gen iTouch, it uses a faster processor. Apple internally considers this the 2nd Generation of iPhone.

Apple's NEXT iPhone will be a 3G phone, not, as journalists and commenters everywhere like to puke, a 4G phone. so... "iPhone 4G" is clearly an incorrect way to label Apple's next iPhone. Also, it is at best a third generation phone product from Apple, thus calling it "4G iPhone" is also wildly incorrect.

To rehash, Apple's next iPhone, whatever it is, will NOT be a 4G cell phone, it will be a 3G, and also, it is only Apple's 3rd generation of cell phones. So can we please call it "iPhone HD" or possibly "iPhone4." To call it 4G anything is incorrect.
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post

Of all the Apple news sites, I think Appleinsider is the most accurate. Which is why it bothers me that they too keep repeating something that is FALSE. Apple's next iPhone is neither a 4th generation Apple device, nor is it a 4G cell technology device.
Consider:
The original iPhone used EDGE. Marketing likes to call EDGE a 2.5G cell technology, but that's bullshit. EDGE is really 3G. The first iPhone technically was a 3G phone.

The iPhone 3G, Apple's second iPhone release, was not a generation bump from the original. It's basically exactly the same phone, with a different baseband radio, and a GPS chip. Even Apple internally considers these two phones from the same generation.

The iPhone 3GS, also a 3G cell tech phone, is a generation bump. Along with the 2nd Gen iTouch, it uses a faster processor. Apple internally considers this the 2nd Generation of iPhone.

Apple's NEXT iPhone will be a 3G phone, not, as journalists and commenters everywhere like to puke, a 4G phone. so... "iPhone 4G" is clearly an incorrect way to label Apple's next iPhone. Also, it is at best a third generation phone product from Apple, thus calling it "4G iPhone" is also wildly incorrect.

To rehash, Apple's next iPhone, whatever it is, will NOT be a 4G cell phone, it will be a 3G, and also, it is only Apple's 3rd generation of cell phones. So can we please call it "iPhone HD" or possibly "iPhone4." To call it 4G anything is incorrect.

I may be wrong, but I believe Apple referred to it as the iPhone 4G in their police report. certainly the police referred to it this way in the report..

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post

So can we please call it "iPhone HD".

It is not HD. No way, no how.

And if we redefine HD, we can redefine 4G instead.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged iPhone 4G part suggests Apple could offer white front panel