or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iPad has 91% consumer satisfaction, demand greater than pre-launch

iPad has 91% consumer satisfaction, demand greater than pre-launch

post #1 of 56
A pair of new surveys from ChangeWave show that demand for the iPad has grown since the device hit the market in early April, while 91 percent of those who already bought one are satisfied with their purchase.

The results of the two surveys conducted in May were revealed Thursday by ChangeWave. One polled 3,174 consumers to measure future demand for the iPad, while a second survey of 153 new iPad owners set out to discover their impressions of the device.

In the larger study of general consumers, 7 percent of respondents said they are "very likely" to buy an iPad, while another 13 percent said they are "somewhat likely." That's the highest level of consumer interest ChangeWave has seen in the iPad to date.

In February, a previous survey from the same company found that 4 percent of respondents were "very likely" to buy, and 9 percent said they were "somewhat likely." While those numbers were lower than the current totals, they were also higher than the pre-release demand for the iPhone based on a 2007 survey.

Among those polled in ChangeWave's May survey, 245 identified themselves as currently owning an e-reader. Among those, 62 percent currently have an Amazon Kindle, versus 16 percent for the iPad -- just weeks after the hardware's release.

A major change from the February survey came in the form of content read on e-readers. The introduction of the iPad resulted in spikes of newspaper, magazine and blog reading on portable e-readers. Both online newspaper and magazine reading were up 7 percent, while blogs increased 1 percent.

Half of those who own an iPad said they read newspapers on their device, compared to just 14 percent of all other e-reader owners. And 38 percent of iPad owners read magazines, compared to 11 percent of other e-reader owners.

"In short," the ChangeWave study said, "more than 3 times as many iPad e-Reader owners say they read Newspapers and Magazines as do all other e-Reader owners."

ChangeWave's survey of 153 new iPad owners found that 74 percent said they are "very satisfied" with their purchase, and another 17 percent are "somewhat satisfied." Just 2 percent said they were unsatisfied.

"The iPad ratings are nearly identical to the highest rated Smart Phone among consumers -- the Apple iPhone," the report said. "But we note that Apple has now reached these nosebleed levels with a brand new product."

post #2 of 56
Flop
post #3 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Flop

lol sorry I need 5 characters so lol again
post #4 of 56
Why is there 8% "Don't know / NA"? They still haven't figure out what to do with it have they?
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

Why is there 8% "Don't know / NA"? They still haven't figure out what to do with it have they?

It only does the one thing. There's a sucker born every minute. Maybe 2 in Apples case. \
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
post #6 of 56
Slow news day?

I like Appleinsider a lot, but items like this make me cringe. It makes you look like the branch of the Apple Marketing dept. Or maybe I'm just naive, you guys don't work for Apple do you?
post #7 of 56
Quote:
In the larger study of general consumers, 7 percent of respondents said they are "very likely" to buy an iPad, while another 13 percent said they are "somewhat likely."

Keeping things in perspective, that means 80% are unlikely or not to get a iPad, but thats everyone, not just computer users exclusively.

The iPods (non iTouch) has a 36% adoption rate among computer users, quite fantastic.

The iTouch has 9% adoption rate, not bad, but not as good as the iPods.

If the iPad gets a 4-5% adoption rate, that would be quite good and likely about 13 million sold per year.

I think though once the Mac market gets done buying iPads it will be slow going for the PC crowd, they can get a better deal with a netbook or a laptop for the same prices.

Also PC makers are announcing tablet devices, they might chose to wait for better prices. A netbook goes for $300-$350, so a PC tablet should be about $200-$300.

So what I'm thinking is the iPad will mostly be a Mac user thing.
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

It only does the one thing. There's a sucker born every minute. Maybe 2 in Apples case. \

Please tell me oh mighty oracle was is that 'one' thing it does.
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

Because, in any survey, there will always be some percentage who won't express an opinion.
post #10 of 56
Quote:

I have an iPad, I bought my mom an iPad just a week ago.

It does a lot of things, at this point I have no interest justifying my purchase with my money to you.

Either you get it or you don't. Insulting people for their gadget preference is juvenile.
post #11 of 56
So much for those statements of the "pundits" that the iPad would fail and demand would level off quickly after the initial fanboys bought them. See, it's appealing to more than just a niche. This is huge.
post #12 of 56
i cannot wait to see the sale figures when ipad hits europe...they'll eat it up over there
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Slow news day?

I like Appleinsider a lot, but items like this make me cringe. It makes you look like the branch of the Apple Marketing dept. Or maybe I'm just naive, you guys don't work for Apple do you?

The don't read it!
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

changewave's survey of 153 new ipad owners found...

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i cannot wait to see the sale figures when ipad hits europe...they'll eat it up over there

It might be a bigger hit in Japan. You could argue that it is the device they have been waiting for for years. Only challenge is the need for a PC.

(Wonder if anybody will hack a SheevaPlug to act as a host computer for an iPad?)
post #16 of 56
Quote:

If you got a problem with Apple products, how about stop reading the Apple news stories loser?
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Please tell me oh mighty oracle was is that 'one' thing it does.

And just WHAT is that "one thing" oh might smartass?
post #18 of 56
Good for iPad. Good for Apple.

People who compare iPad to iPods are wrong. It is different with iPod. It has no successful competitor. And iPad was introduced to be in between your mac and iphone hence targeted at mac/iphone customer base.
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

...they can get a better deal with a netbook or a laptop for the same prices.

Netbooks are not a better deal at any price. Nice try though.
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
post #20 of 56
Quote:

Meaning "If it doesn'T do Fladh -> It does nothing?"
--NO!

Meaning "Thinking Different = Trashing Herd mentality"?
--YES!

Is there a USA company that gives you more to choose from, by setting its own standards, differentiating itself from the same, oh! same, herd mentality?

Isn't that Liberty (you seems concerned about liberty?)
Isn't Thinking Different itself running free?
C'mon Apple is tiny and it fears NOT being tiny.
So why you fear Apple being tiny?
Can tiny take off your liberty?

Or being different kills you?
post #21 of 56
Well, we all know how reliable and trustworthy the ChangeWave® name is, so this information is unassailable.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #22 of 56
Quote:

If so?
Who cares?
Apple doesn't seem to care.

Mac users are growing, looking by the number of switchers.
Judging by the price of the majority of PCs out there for Apple to still sell Macs like candies it is a miracle. Which is a proof that people who buy Macs do buy it because of the same reason Apple haters would Not buy a thing by Apple.

Or you think only dumb people buy Macs or anything Apple?

Computers are more that tools, they are extensions of oneself, at least for people lucky enough to judge by themselves.
I am sure most windows PC buyers do so because of ads and because of IT people advice.
So most of them will meet the Lady With The Hammer one day, and be Free!
post #23 of 56
I wonder what reasons the other 9% gave?

I am sure they are are über geek type concerns that everyone knew about before purchasing. I have certainly heard a lot of buzz about the lack of a true file (shared) file system, getting files on and off, crashing the networks of lame universities, lack of printing, and a few other Appleonian things.
post #24 of 56
Quote:

Keeping things in perspective, that means 80% are unlikely or not to get a iPad, but thats everyone, not just computer users exclusively.

That would be a defensible argument IF the iPad were not a bridge category device and relies on iTunes to sync - platform independent. Among those I know who have purchased iPads (or in some cases expressed actionable interest in doing so) they are split roughly 50/50 between Mac users and PC users. Some of those had purchased netbooks and had previously expressed disappointment with the netbook physical format. Out of those groups, interestingly, most had bought the iPad to relieve use of their current computer (of either platform), and to stretch the use of an older PC or Mac before having to buy a new one. In other words, many of these acquaintances were augmenting their computer with an iPad (or replacing a poorly performing netbook), not replacing it. Of course this is anecdotal and your pool of contacts may have different behaviors and justifications.

One more additional item, a casual trip into my local Apple Store (where the bloody iPad tables were packed with people - two deep in some cases) let me ask around, and the same situation seemed to be in play there as well - about half the people messing around with iPads and expressing interest in buying one were PC users, the other half self-idenitifed as Mac users. Again your experience may be different, if you care to do the same sort of thing at your local Apple Store.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, we all know how reliable and trustworthy the ChangeWave® name is, so this information is unassailable.

You are immensely consistent and reliable, which is why ignoring you brings me consistent amusement.

post #26 of 56
Quote:

And that will be nothing compared to the gadget crazy Asian market.
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

That would be a defensible argument IF the iPad were not a bridge category device and relies on iTunes to sync - platform independent.

Not quite . . . . There must be a few Linux users who are still looking for the command line so they can activate their iPad in the absence of iTunes for their platform.
post #28 of 56
Quote:

Europe?
I doubt.
Economic woes and lack of TV content (most of offers are from USA cable network)
I live in Portugal and i cannot see iPad selling much here.

Sony and Microsoft Rules in Portugal. Apple is looked at as punk (which Apple is, Really, Only in a Good Way).
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Slow news day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

If you got a problem with Apple products, how about stop reading the Apple news stories loser?

That's something that amazes me. Why people that have absolutely no interest in a subject feel compelled to sh*t on everything. I guess I can understand being more than critical on a general tech site but come on this is AppleInsider. Of course there's going to be a bias.

There's many things that I own/use that there's an us vs. them attitude but I've never wanted to put my two cents in on "their" forums. Why? I simply don't care enough about the other device to waste my time.

I use a Mac. I don't go to Windows specific sites and rag on their OS. I own a PS3 and I couldn't care less what's going on with the XBox 360..... etc.

That being said, as for the iPad. I got one. Love it.
post #30 of 56
51% of iPad buyers own Windows PCs

Quote:

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

You are immensely consistent and reliable, which is why ignoring you brings me consistent amusement.

...too bad you're not very good at it!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

So much for those statements of the "pundits" that the iPad would fail and demand would level off quickly after the initial fanboys bought them. See, it's appealing to more than just a niche. This is huge.

True!
I noticed on another thread one troll type has declared: I was wrong, tablets are a bad idea! Translation: Drat! It looks like Apple is going to win the tablet race before anyone else can join in, so, being a good troll, I will just write off the whole category!
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #33 of 56
Does anyone know where there is an iPad 3G IN STOCK?? For 2 weeks now I can't seem to get my hands on one! Checked multiple sellers but nothing is in stock. Maybe some of you know a good place to go to get the iPad 3G??
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

SpamSandwich'es caustic tone aside, there IS one thing that ought to be included in every discussion of the results from ChangeWave:

The consumers surveyed by ChangeWave are members of the "ChangeWave Alliance" - a pool of volunteers who are carefully chosen (by-application-only) to represent leading-edge thinking. They are NOT chosen to be statistically representative of the general market, and are not intended to be.

So the meaning of the various adoption and preference rates that ChangeWave reports are NOT (and, again, are not intended to be) a simple statistical approximation of the (current) market at large. This is very different from 'most all other market data/surveys one sees.

The ChangeWave surveys ARE intended to illuminate trends. The quantitative statements (like "X% own an iPad so far" and "Y% intend to buy one soon") are still valuable and meaningful, but (mostly) in the context of comparing one ChangeWave survey to another ChangeWave survey (like their report that the pre-launch interest in the iPad was greater than the correspondingly-timed pre-launch interest in the iPhone).

Disclosure: I say all this as a member of said ChangeWave Alliance (who does not (yet) own an iPad ). I do not otherwise speak for them. Anyone interested in applying for membership (it's quite informative) can apply at their web site: http://alliance.changewave.com/

Paul Lustgarten
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus View Post

SpamSandwich'es caustic tone aside, there IS one thing that ought to be included in every discussion of the results from ChangeWave:

The consumers surveyed by ChangeWave are members of the "ChangeWave Alliance" - a pool of volunteers who are carefully chosen (by-application-only) to represent leading-edge thinking. They are NOT chosen to be statistically representative of the general market, and are not intended to be.

So the meaning of the various adoption and preference rates that ChangeWave reports are NOT (and, again, are not intended to be) a simple statistical approximation of the (current) market at large. This is very different from 'most all other market data/surveys one sees.

The ChangeWave surveys ARE intended to illuminate trends. The quantitative statements (like "X% own an iPad so far" and "Y% intend to buy one soon") are still valuable and meaningful, but (mostly) in the context of comparing one ChangeWave survey to another ChangeWave survey (like their report that the pre-launch interest in the iPad was greater than the correspondingly-timed pre-launch interest in the iPhone).

Disclosure: I say all this as a member of said ChangeWave Alliance (who does not (yet) own an iPad ). I do not otherwise speak for them. Anyone interested in applying for membership (it's quite informative) can apply at their web site: http://alliance.changewave.com/

Paul

Useful information -- thanks!
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #36 of 56
Quote:

Yep. As that beer ad (or was it some Republican Congressman?) says, they all carry man-purses over there...... (perfect size for toting an iPad; I am still in the market for a really rugged, but nice-looking and functional case with a handle/strap for mine!).
post #37 of 56
Quote:

I think though once the Mac market gets done buying iPads it will be slow going for the PC crowd, they can get a better deal with a netbook or a laptop for the same prices.

Also PC makers are announcing tablet devices, they might chose to wait for better prices. A netbook goes for $300-$350, so a PC tablet should be about $200-$300.

The Mac only thing is just not true. Apple devices sell on average about 50:50 between windows and PC users (many more PC users for the iPod non-itouch). The only thing you need is itunes so platform is irrelevant. 20% likely to buy any product that is not a staple consumer good is massive, especially at the iPod's price point.

There is not and will be no credible "PC Tablet" since Win7 will never be effective in this form factor within a timeframe that means anything to this market. Android tablets and maybe WebOS tablets will eventually have an impact but are still lagging significantly in many areas. For all the bravado about sales and features, Android still props up the bargain basement of smartphones (cliq, devour, galaxy, mytouch, eris), a fact often obscured by relatively low volume "superphones" (N1/EVO4G etc.) and from a consumer perspective is miles behind the iTunes ecosystem for ease of use, breadth of content and elegance of UI/usability. Nerds will disagree but their wallets don't count for much globally.

From the published reports from actual iPad users, I believe the netbook market will be eaten alive by tablets of all flavors and netbooks will become niche productivity tools for the small market that wants to do traditional productivity on a small/light/weak notebook. iPad is changing the metaphor for average computer use - 90% consumption 10% production (some email, facebook, photo uploads) does not need a netbook - it needs a Star Trek datapad. Traditional computers will become specialist productivity tools and docking stations, backup facilities for consumption devices.
post #38 of 56
Quote:

Keeping things in perspective, 20% of 300 million is 60 million. Not that I expect sales anywhere near that, but capturing 20% of American consumers would be absolutely massive.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #39 of 56
When will we STOP comparing iPad to eReaders? It's like comparing iPhone to Skyp.

The iPhone is so much more than an eReader - it's a whole new category.
post #40 of 56
Looks like we're about half way through the Apple Success Denialists cha-cha (AKA Apple Cannot Succeed On Its Merits So Any Apparent Good News Must Be Explained Away):

-- The entire product concept is stupid and wrong and will fail utterly.

-- Early success is because Apple people will buy anything they're told to buy.

-- Accelerating success is because of Apple's mind control advertising and further amplification of the RDF.

-- Clones with better specs will prove that Apple is hopelessly out of date, conveniently ignoring the fact that Apple created the template in the first place and we were assured it was stupid.

There's a new wrinkle, though: people taking up the Google "free and open" sloganeering who want to paradoxically argue that everyone must be given "choice" so that "markets can decide", but simultaneously railing against people choosing Apple products, which is evidence that people are stupid and wrong.

Which is the Apple denialist endgame, I guess: if a lot or even most people choose Apple products, they are obliged to become embittered misanthropes, denouncing the human race itself as fatally flawed. Apple hatred cannot fail, it can only be failed.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iPad has 91% consumer satisfaction, demand greater than pre-launch