or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Apple pulls iSlam Muhammad app

Apple pulls iSlam Muhammad app

post #1 of 16
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/20/found...-muhammad-app/

But curiously leaves BibleThumper, a Christian-bashing app!

Explanations?
post #2 of 16
More PC bs run amok. There's a double standard when it comes to Islam. Christians, Jews and others can laugh it off when people poke fun at their religion, whereas many Muslims resort to violence.
I imagine if the Muslim woman from Islamabab North- Dearborn, MIchigan had not won Miss USA, there would have been riots in the streets.
Another sign we are turning into Europe...
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/20/found...-muhammad-app/

But curiously leaves BibleThumper, a Christian-bashing app!

Explanations?

The two apps are wildly different. If there was a 1-10 "religion-bashing index", Bible Thunper would score a 1 or a 2, and iSlam would be an 11. Bible Thumper points to inconsistencies in the Bible, and thats about as far as it goes. iSlam on the other hand, is 100% vicious, hate-filled bile.... which, of course, is perfectly acceptable in the US, which has spent >$1 trillion in the last few years targeting islam militarily as the officially sanctioned foreign policy, conceived by the murderous right wing "Zionazi" clique in Washington DC.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

The two apps are wildly different.

You're right... one bashes Christianity which is cool now so that App stays. The other bashes Islam which is not cool so that one goes.

post #5 of 16
Quote:

The two apps are wildly different. If there was a 1-10 "religion-bashing index", Bible Thunper would score a 1 or a 2, and iSlam would be an 11. Bible Thumper points to inconsistencies in the Bible, and thats about as far as it goes. iSlam on the other hand, is 100% vicious, hate-filled bile.... which, of course, is perfectly acceptable in the US, which has spent >$1 trillion in the last few years targeting islam militarily as the officially sanctioned foreign policy, conceived by the murderous right wing "Zionazi" clique in Washington DC.

From the descriptions I am reading, they are quite similar.

Quote:
A description of the $.99 app encourages users to "enjoy violent and hateful passages from The Qur'an that support and encourage Muslims to attack and behead anyone who does not agree with them. See how Allah directs his followers to treat men and women."

The app revolves around parchment images featuring controversial images from the holy text. The app was in the store for a day before it was pulled. Below is audio from the developer's conversation with Apple, which among other things, points out that a similar app targeting Christians called BibleThumper still exists in the store.

They both seem to use the texts of the respective holy documents to try to show inconsistencies in their texts. Tell me how this is wildly different?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #6 of 16
But I want to slam BOTH of those cults!!! (among others)
Fortunately, it's easy enough to do without ANY iPhone app. All it takes is a modicum of intelligence.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #7 of 16
Quote:

By 'hate-filled bile', are you referring to passages in the Koran?

We should have spent $2 trillion...
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

By 'hate-filled bile', are you referring to passages in the Koran?...

could be... or any number of passages from the Bible.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Difference is, rarely do Christians act them out. Same can't be said of terror attacks and murder in the name of Islam.
post #10 of 16
Quote:

In the context of Sammi Jo's post what do you suppose was meant? Not in your overall estimation of religion and their religious documents...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

In the context of Sammi Jo's post what do you suppose was meant? Not in your overall estimation of religion and their religious documents...

His post COULD mean the "hate-filled bile" that is present in some passages of the Koran (and also of the Bible,) or it COULD mean that the app in question is itself "hate-filled bile". I tend to think he actually meant the latter.

In that case, I agree with him that in todays overly-PC world, if the roles were reversed in this particular instance (if the app were targeting christians) then it likely wouldn't cause any concern (and probably wouldn't have been pulled.) His point seemed to be that "it's OK to slam christians, but not Muslims", and that seems to be a fair assessment these days.

Personally, I think we ought to be free to "slam" all religions (and atheists) equally... a little something we call "free speech". Just because something is put in print doesn't require people to ACT on it. When they do act, they become criminals and should be prosecuted accordingly... based on their actions, not based on what someone else said/wrote/produced.

That said, Apple is NOT a government entity, they are perfectly within their rights to express their own opinions by allowing or not allowing apps into their store as they see fit. Including arbitrary decisions based on personal preferences. If the public doesn't like it, there are plenty of other (non-Apple) products that do the same things that they can go purchase instead. Apple certainly doesn't have any impact on peoples lives that the people don't grant it by their own free will.
post #12 of 16
Quote:

His post COULD mean the "hate-filled bile" that is present in some passages of the Koran (and also of the Bible,) or it COULD mean that the app in question is itself "hate-filled bile". I tend to think he actually meant the latter.

In that case, I agree with him that in todays overly-PC world, if the roles were reversed in this particular instance (if the app were targeting christians) then it likely wouldn't cause any concern (and probably wouldn't have been pulled.) His point seemed to be that "it's OK to slam christians, but not Muslims", and that seems to be a fair assessment these days.

Personally, I think we ought to be free to "slam" all religions (and atheists) equally... a little something we call "free speech". Just because something is put in print doesn't require people to ACT on it. When they do act, they become criminals and should be prosecuted accordingly... based on their actions, not based on what someone else said/wrote/produced.

That said, Apple is NOT a government entity, they are perfectly within their rights to express their own opinions by allowing or not allowing apps into their store as they see fit. Including arbitrary decisions based on personal preferences. If the public doesn't like it, there are plenty of other (non-Apple) products that do the same things that they can go purchase instead. Apple certainly doesn't have any impact on peoples lives that the people don't grant it by their own free will.

Her post was about the actual iSlam app and how the contents of the app were "hate filled bile". However the app, as per the descriptions I have been able to find, simply reprints "controversial verses" from the Koran. I think that the statement that covers the intent is:

Bible Thumper points to inconsistencies in the Bible, and thats about as far as it goes. iSlam on the other hand, is 100% vicious, hate-filled bile...

Maybe she is saying that the spirit that the app was written in was more hateful, but whatever the case, I think the 2 apps are comparable in many ways as to what the intended spirit was. To try to make another religion look foolish, and to use their own scriptures to do it. Whatever the case, I don't care if Apple pulled it or not, I would not have downloaded it anyhow. Since they did pull it, they should be consistent and pull any apps that do similar things. The whole issue is overblown...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #13 of 16
Yes, way overblown... It's pretty easy to make any religion look foolish.
post #14 of 16
in the form of quotes taken directly from the Qur'an. Just as Bible Thumper is filled with objectionable quotes from the bible.

Here is an example of the quotes from my app;

22.19. These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: But those who deny (their Lord), - for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water.

8.12. Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

If anyone would like to see the actual images and quotes that my app was comprised of you can see it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqSlVHzhRq0
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryemery View Post

in the form of quotes taken directly from the Qur'an. Just as Bible Thumper is filled with objectionable quotes from the bible.

Here is an example of the quotes from my app;

22.19. These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: But those who deny (their Lord), - for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water.

8.12. Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

If anyone would like to see the actual images and quotes that my app was comprised of you can see it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqSlVHzhRq0

Emeryemery - in your no doubt voluminous researches into the Qur'an while creating your app, what was the selection process you used to decide on the inclusion of various sura?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #16 of 16
No answer?

It gives me an idea of an app actually - how about the stupidest comments ever made on PO? It could be called "PO Hall of Lame" or something. I think it would be quite large obviously but could be fun....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Apple pulls iSlam Muhammad app