or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad - Page 6

post #201 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Does Google perhaps have a long-term contract to pay Apple increasingly large sums of money for Google to be the default search engine on all Apple products? If not, then I'd like Apple to provide a way to change the default search engine.


Ummm....Apples DOES provide a way to change the default search engine. Don't they?
post #202 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I still dont get how Google is going to make money from an open source OS if they dont make the hardware either?!?

Advertising.
post #203 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Ummm....Apples DOES provide a way to change the default search engine. Don't they?

Safari/iPhone: yes.

Safari/Mac: no. Third party add-on required (such as Glims) or probably a Terminal command.

Safari/Win: n/a.
post #204 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Those are worldwide numbers, comparing quarter to quarter.

Verizon doesn't matter. I live in Canada, every single major carrier has the iPhone and Android is still selling like hotcakes and growing fast.

The "new iPhone coming soon" argument doesn't hold any water because the exact same thing was true at the exact same time as last year.

lol We shall continue this arguement in a month when iPhone sales in one month trump Android's annual figures.. ITs still a relitively new product.. how fast it grows isn't really as important as where it caps.. or how many people stay on board when it comes time to upgrade. Google can only ride the "we're open" wave for so long, before it's time to come up with something new.. then what?

JUST AN FYI.. don't take this as me saying Android sucks.. I've tried one and I honestly think it's awesome.. I just genuinely believe iPhone is a far superior product. And I think the numbers will ultimately show that.
post #205 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The reason it's already dead, or at least condemned without possibility of appeal, is that content providers are essentially technology neutral, they just want eyeballs, and it's become clear to them that Flash won't give them the eyeballs they want, quite the contrary. HTML5 will give them the eyeballs, on mobile and on the desktop, and that will drive the adoption, which will accelerate over the next 2 years. It won't be that long until Flash is simply a niche product, if it's still used at all.

Flash proponents can argue till they are blue in the face that Flash isn't going anywhere because HTML5 can't do this or that. The reality is that a) if HTML5 can't do something Flash can do, site designers, at the command of content providers, will make HTML5 do something else which is just as, or more, effective, and b) what HTML5 can do will expand, driven by the desire of these same content providers to reach those eyeballs.

Flash isn't dead. Not much has changed, certainly not yet.

HTML5 isn't the thing that will kill flash. Adobe's inability to make it work, -and- keep it relevant and it viable platform for developers, would. A little early yet to tell I think, though many on both sides are placing bets. Personally I'll save my money.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #206 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Those are worldwide numbers, comparing quarter to quarter.

Verizon doesn't matter. I live in Canada, every single major carrier has the iPhone and Android is still selling like hotcakes and growing fast.

The "new iPhone coming soon" argument doesn't hold any water because the exact same thing was true at the exact same time as last year.

I'd love to see some number. Can't wait for the Big 3 to release their numbers. They all sell the iPhone and they all sell Android phones. And they vary which product they push from moment to moment. The iPhone champion, Rogers, has lately been pushing the Sony Ericsson X10 and Telus went right from a Christmas iPhone campaign to a Motorola Milestone campaign. I find that interesting. Android's almost being promoted as the "cool" phone, now that everybody has an iPhone.

I don't think Android is outselling the iPhone in Canada yet. We'll see what the future holds though.
post #207 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Either way, Apples goal is not to make the most devices, but to make the best devices.

This is the single hardest thing for most people to remember.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It seems to me that the logical conclusion is that Apple's vertically integrated model is deficient, if market share is a priority.

See what I mean....
post #208 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

Flash isn't dead. Not much has changed, certainly not yet.

HTML5 isn't the thing that will kill flash. Adobe's inability to make it work, -and- keep it relevant and it viable platform for developers, would. A little early yet to tell I think, though many on both sides are placing bets. Personally I'll save my money.

It's only, "A little early yet to tell," if you don't look at the announcements and articles, that appear almost daily now, showing that the move to HTML5 has happened at yet another organization. This is a bit like the periods when companies here and there are announcing poor financial results, layoffs, etc., but the government tells us we aren't in a recession. The die is already cast, the recession is inevitable, but the economy is declared healthy. For Flash, the die is already cast.
post #209 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Perhaps you are correct with respect to the amount of freedom Android OEMs have in using Google services, but "allowing" a user access to other services isn't necessarily an antitrust defense if extra steps are required to enjoy that access -- as Microsoft learned.

That's not what's happening. Samsung is building phones with Yahoo's services as default. It'd be like like Microsoft selling Windows with Firefox as default and IE nowhere in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Still a great burden of evidence would be required to find Google in violation of antitrust laws. The first step would be demonstrating market power in a given market, presumably in this case, online advertising. The second would be showing that they are using that market power and the Android platform to leverage themselves into other markets, to the disadvantage of competitors.

Very difficult to prove. As much as some on here would like to think of Google as utterly evil, they aren't anti-competitive like that. What services did they cut-off the iPhone from after the Google-Apple split? The iPhone still got two of it's most popular apps from Google: Maps and Youtube. If they reserved all that just for Android, maybe somebody would have a case.
post #210 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's only, "A little early yet to tell," if you don't look at the announcements and articles, that appear almost daily now, showing that the move to HTML5 has happened at yet another organization. This is a bit like the periods when companies here and there are announcing poor financial results, layoffs, etc., but the government tells us we aren't in a recession. The die is already cast, the recession is inevitable, but the economy is declared healthy. For Flash, the die is already cast.

You have to understand that none of us developers are at all surprised by the adoption of the html5 video tag. In fact we've expected and couldn't wait for it. This isn't at all a flash is dead' thing like people are making it out to be. We've all, css, javascript, flash, whathaveyou developers been waiting to be able to embed a video without having to use flash for some time now. The announcements seem to be framed as some big thing like a nail in a coffin, but certainly the company announcing it is getting some press release mileage out of it.

Flash is a very advanced platform, and it's going to take a hell of a lot more to kill it believe me. As cool as html5 is, it's still some time away from replacing flash if at all. Let's remember, if adobe does manage to keep it working in the near term, they release major updates every18 months. That's a HELL of a lot faster than html. I won't predict what will go down, because honestly, many of us who have been in the industry for years, don't know at this point. Though it seems many seem to have this slam dunked. I just take all that talkin through the hats with a bit of a grain of salt.

I can only predict that things will indeed change, hopefully for the better.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #211 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

For once, I'll agree with you. I think the only valid comparison is between the number of devices running each OS. That's what really concerns most developers, vendors, etc.

Keep that in mind though, when Android is running on cars, TV set-top boxes, phones, refrigerators....

While on the face of it that would seem to make sense, it fails to take into account monetization of the platform - or the amount of profit generated. So for example the only reason why the carriers and hardware makers are in bed with Goggle is to sell contracts and handsets respectively. And Android makes it attractive to do so (except for HTC who decided to pay blood money to Microsoft to cover licensing issues for Android - expect similar deals for the other handset makers as well).

As Janis so soulfully sang, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose..." Perhaps devs need to go back and watch Pinnochio again, to be reminded that nothing is ever really free.

Microsoft is in datacenters world-wide, and on the majority of the world's desktops - and yet, Apple is the one that everyone looks to to innovate. Neither Microsoft nor Open Source was able to produce a viable, popular tablet. Or smartphone (unless of course someone like Google backed it with capital as they did with Android). Or media player. Apple did and does. And does so very profitably - which in turn allows them to move on to the next innovation.

When your local successful community leader comes to you to offer to buy your land for a nice price, you need to ask WHY? What does that successful person stand to GAIN from doing so. Apple's motives were never in question - they want to build a successful, consumer-oriented platform and ecosystem (a shopping mall if you will - complete with restaurants, play areas for the kids and entertainment areas). Along the way they made provision for the inclusion of the dev community in the role of building apps that potentially would make those devs also successful - but their motive was never in question - to make money. Google comes along, offers to buy Android, and drive it's implementation in the mobile space, under the rubric of "open, free and awesome". Demurring all the while, "no, no we don't need to be paid licensing fees - we just want to build a nice park here where everyone can come and play. Ignore the fact that we own all the adjoining property, where all those cameras are - pointing at the park."

post #212 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

steve is control-freaking apple in a bad direction. he better wake up and do more positive and less negative.

LOL at this post.
post #213 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

1, 8, 64, 512

100, 112, 125, 140.


There YOU go...

Or in another, just as plausible scenario:

1, 8, 64, 120

100, 112, 125, 150

There may be limits to growth, even for Google...

Bas
post #214 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

"We didn't enter the search business"

What a laugh. Google has always - ALWAYS - been in the advertising business. Search has only been their primary platform for it.

Steve said "phone business" and "search business".

Quote:
Now they advertise in gmail, google docs, google maps...

Google also monitors all our activities in those apps.

Quote:
Android is only another means to an end: advertising revenue.

Don't forget the means for more spying!

Google is tired of paying Apple for the privilege of spying on the growing leagues of Apple customers.

Quote:
With iAd, Apple is treading on Google's turf!

You got that right. Turnabout is fair play.

Quote:
Steve, sorry, but this time, you're wrong.

Also you're big brother. Open the freaking app store.

-Clive

How does the act of screening apps that have been volunteered up for sale in a publicly accessible store come anywhere near the issues of privacy and control associated with monitoring your every move and communication on the web?

Stop complaining about Apple. Be happy Google is willing to take care of the garbage (porn, Flash, malware). You're welcome to go there, too.
post #215 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

... Flash is a very advanced platform, and it's going to take a hell of a lot more to kill it believe me. As cool as html5 is, it's still some time away from replacing flash if at all. Let's remember, if adobe does manage to keep it working in the near term, they release major updates every18 months. That's a HELL of a lot faster than html. I won't predict what will go down, because honestly, many of us who have been in the industry for years, don't know at this point. Though it seems many seem to have this slam dunked. I just take all that talkin through the hats with a bit of a grain of salt. ...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...57#post1636857

2nd paragraph.
post #216 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Right. So let's not pretend it's all about "the user experience". It's not. It's about Apple's profit margins. Nothing wrong with that. But nobody should pretend that Apple (or Google or anybody else for that matter) is some kind of benevolent overlord who really cares about your "user experience". They care, only insofar as it helps them sell gadgets.

Except the user experience is exactly what allows Apple to sell its products at a high profit. Apple maximizes the user experience so it can maximize its profit!

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #217 of 431
The essential difference between Google and Apple: Google's business model is one of continual expansion and constant growth above all. Apple's model is to produce excellence, and has often foregone market share to stay true to that ideal. Which model more closely resembles 1984?

As Agent Smith noted, there is an organism that exhibits Google's pattern.
post #218 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

geekdad, if apple held a majority position in the market (like rim or nokia for example) then your argument would hold water - but they don't. What is happening is that google has targeting apple as being the most geek-tastic and therefore worthy of inflammatory rhetoric and the whole "freedom" argument. These sorts of arguments do nothing to mitigate the obvious popularity with the consuming public of the iphone, ipod touch and ipad. So google has to address it's attack elsewhere. By crying "freedom" they hope to peel as many devs away from apple as they can, hoping that none of the other players in the smartphone market gain/regain any traction with consumers.

It is far easier to just ignore rim and nokia (and microsoft) and focus on attacking apple than to construct a well-thought-out and comprehensive approach to the market over the long term. Remember just like the google fanboys, google has a notoriously short attention span (remember the nexus one?) and while they are selling koolaid by the gallons to the current fan club, there's every indication that once they hit too many obstacles, or just simply get bored, the enthusiasm will evaporate leaving devs and fans alike with empty cups and unrequited thirst. The degree to which the likes of stevie, asianbob and asharian are championing google/android indicates the success of the attempt.

And android kiddies, let's review a little history shall we?
Google purchased android (a modified linux kernel)in 2005
2007 they announced the android distro, together with the consortium they put together of a bunch of carriers, hardware and software suppliers (essentially a significant body of competitors to the iphone). And apple announced an dreleased the first gen iphone - note that schmidt sat on apple's bod this whole time, reaping the information out of apple's development plans.
2008 google releases android as open source - allowing vendors to add proprietary extensions without referencing the open-source community
android market started out with only free apps but now supports paid-for apps as well effective 2007
2009 google sues cyanogen for modding/re-distro of the closed google apps. Google reserves their own apps from open modification.
Now, with google tv coming, the word from the inside is the desire to produce a walled garden of tv-optimized web services.
And of course from the dev conference itself: Don't use our private apis (even tho a while back we were told "we have no private apis")
so even content provisioning is limited:"there are more content providers in the system than are documented in that package, and while you can use them, you probably shouldnt. Theyre there because some of the google-provided apps use them internally to access their own data resources."
so yeah, the front room is wide open - windows open, doors open even ceiling is open - but you don't get to go in the back rooms. At all. Just sayin'.

When something is open, it either is open or it isn't. Something that is mostly open but not completely open, isn't really open, and just saying the word doesn't change that simple fact.

+++ qft

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #219 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

steve is control-freaking apple in a bad direction. he better wake up and do more positive and less negative.

Tip of the day: You'll only hear the negative from Apple's competitors and wannabes. Anything you hear from them that seems positive will be feint praise.

Go to any Apple store to see what the company has done positively.

The vast majority of Apple's profits come from hardware sales.

Contrast this with Google, whose profits come almost entirely from advertising, fed primarily by search, where the company has about 65% market share. To feed the advertising monster, Google is hugely into monitoring people's activities.

Unfortunately for Google, the company's share of the search market has flatlined*. Combine this with a stagnate world economy, the China gaffe, and a bit of competition from Bing, if Google is to maintain its market valuation, the company is "forced" to seek growth opportunities in other markets. Unfortunately for the public, this means further expansion of Google's monitoring activities, because that's all Google really knows how to do. Unfortunately for Apple, Schmidt was on its board of directors for a couple years and Google isn't innovative enough to forge new (as in "novel") markets.

*http://www.businessinsider.com/henry...atlined-2010-5
post #220 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

...Either way, Apples goal is not to make the most devices, but to make the best devices.

to make the device is easy... to make the best device is not... this is why we need apple...
post #221 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Very difficult to prove. As much as some on here would like to think of Google as utterly evil, they aren't anti-competitive like that. What services did they cut-off the iPhone from after the Google-Apple split? The iPhone still got two of it's most popular apps from Google: Maps and Youtube. If they reserved all that just for Android, maybe somebody would have a case.

I agree, it's not even close to being a real antitrust issue now. Antitrust violations are difficult to prove at a minimum. Even as blindly obvious as Microsoft's transgressions were, it took years to move that case successfully through the courts. That's in the U.S. anyway. The EU tends to be more aggressive on antitrust issues, and seems to have a lower threshold of evidence in the law.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #222 of 431
This coming from a company who's entire strategy is built on taking Apple's good ideas and coming out with their own 'open source' versions of them? They must be smoking some pretty strong stuff in Mountain View these days. Did they open up a Pot club in the Googleplex cafeteria or something
post #223 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

The essential difference between Google and Apple: Google's business model is one of continual expansion and constant growth above all. Apple's model is to produce excellence, and has often foregone market share to stay true to that ideal. Which model more closely resembles 1984?

As Agent Smith noted, there is an organism that exhibits Google's pattern.

Ya I kinda have to agree.. Google just seems to toss anything and everything against the wall and run with what sticks.. for as long as it sticks.

If you honestly think Apple is solely after maximum profit and not after what they personally believe is the best product you can buy.. then why wouldn't they just make 2 or 3 versions of the iPhone to try and please every one?
post #224 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...57#post1636857

2nd paragraph.

So what? It seems you might be the one here arguing about something that hasn't actually taken place yet... Flash is still, currently in high demand, it hasn't changed despite some companies using a different video delivery. Flash was extremely popular without video, to think that will kill it is to be naive. I stand by what I said, other factors, would kill it.

YOU can argue til you're blue in the face, however, the difference is, I'm speaking about what is the current reality, and you're making predictions.

I can't say for sure if your predictions for the -future-, are incorrect, and it's a waste of time to bother really at this point, but I can certainly disagree from what I know.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #225 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Steve said "phone business" and "search business".


Google also monitors all our activities in those apps.


Don't forget the means for more spying!

Google is tired of paying Apple for the privilege of spying on the growing leagues of Apple customers.


You got that right. Turnabout is fair play.



How does the act of screening apps that have been volunteered up for sale in a publicly accessible store come anywhere near the issues of privacy and control associated with monitoring your every move and communication on the web?

Stop complaining about Apple. Be happy Google is willing to take care of the garbage (porn, Flash, malware). You're welcome to go there, too.

Are you kidding me? Did you just attempt to turn my criticism of Apple into a justification for Google, likely in a desperate attempt to refuse my bullet-proof argument? No, obviously no one would be foolish enough think that would work... So what was your intent?

Google has a right to enter the phone business. Apple has a right to enter the advertising business. It's not even about retribution - it's business... it's about opportunity. Of course Google is much more "Big Brother" than Apple. Even an idiot knows that. That doesn't mean Apple is free of such practices. I don't need someone to screen apps for me. If I don't want to find smut, I don't search for it. I have a hard enough time finding relevant apps I know exist...

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #226 of 431
They "innovated" the phone, then the GoggleTV, and even the 1984 commercial. Areal record of innovation. Sort of like Microsoft use to do...
post #227 of 431
1) Changing your message makes your image/brand untrustworthy... When Android/Chrome were first announced it was not accompanied by such an anti-Apple attitude. Apple has not changed its own attitude since then - so the only thing that has changed is Google trying to emulate the flashiness/swagger of Apple. And that's a duel Google won't win. Apple and Steve Jobs have mastered the art of persuasion far longer than Google geeks have been writing code or Vic has been clicking slides. Google is a giant pillar - Apple has always positioned itself as the diamond - small, special and dazzling. Apple is more than happy to have people flock to them when there's a vacuum of innovation (ehem, what took Google so long is a better question!), but priority one for Apple is always special beauty and simplicity, not fat ubiquity - which is precisely where Google is headed. But go ahead and be the giant Google; go ahead and swing at the shiny apple.

2) All the fancy HTML5 and Chrome development that Google is pushing is dandy - but I don't care about all the hype of speed and performance. All the demos I've seen implemented still lack the polish and elegance of Apple's Xcode and Cocoa platform. Not one demo in the Google keynote came close to the richness and polish of iPhone/iPad apps. Richness, polish - you may want to look those words up since you rarely see them at a Google keynote. And how many times did Google's demos freeze up from lack of connectivity? Why depend on a UI/platform that can only be at its best when it's online?

3) The more Google tries to make "the browser" their killer product the easier it will be for Apple's integrated approach to outshine them. This is Microsoft all over again - trying to leverage separating the platform from the hardware. Okay, we'll see where that gets you 5 years from now when all the hardware manufacturers prove unable/unwilling to keep up with your vision.
post #228 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

...as long as he [Big Brother] helps bring down my cable bill, I'm okay with it!

You're okay with it because you're a Google shareholder.
post #229 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I thought you left and weren't coming back?

By the way, it seems you were pretty far off on your claims that Android is on more carriers than iPhone, so your credibility has taken a bit of a hit while you were sulking.

I doubt those claims about Apple's carrier count and they're unsubstantiated.

And I did leave -- some of us are professionals with real jobs and can't spend all day, every day irrationally defending a company they don't even work for.

I was actually fixing a bug in my company's iPhone app today. On Tuesday I'm resuming work on our Android app.

Some of us don't have allegiances, and that can offend like yourself that swears one. You are immensely childish and doing a disservice to anyone who truly appreciates Apple products.
post #230 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

So what? It seems you might be the one here arguing about something that hasn't actually taken place yet... Flash is still, currently in high demand, it hasn't changed despite some companies using a different video delivery. Flash was extremely popular without video, to think that will kill it is to be naive. I stand by what I said, other factors, would kill it.

YOU can argue til you're blue in the face, however, the difference is, I'm speaking about what is the current reality, and you're making predictions.

I can't say for sure if your predictions for the -future-, are incorrect, and it's a waste of time to bother really at this point, but I can certainly disagree from what I know.

Sure, you can disagree, but Flash's fate is already determined, and its fate is that content providers will abandon it because it can't give them access to the eyeballs they want to reach, but HTML5 can and will.
post #231 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The EU tends to be more aggressive on antitrust issues, and seems to have a lower threshold of evidence in the law.

That's because everyone's a victim in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmchugh View Post

They "innovated" the phone, then the GoggleTV, and even the 1984 commercial. Areal record of innovation. Sort of like Microsoft use to do...

OMG, I need Goggle-TV. <-- goggles
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #232 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sure, you can disagree, but Flash's fate is already determined, and its fate is that content providers will abandon it because it can't give them access to the eyeballs they want to reach, but HTML5 can and will.

There's no hard evidence out there to support this, other than predictions.

I can't say you're completely wrong anymore than you can state that with any degree of certainty.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #233 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I live in Canada too. Got to play with an android phone and its pretty much an iphone OS copycat, only with garbage multi-touch. The android phone (Sansung) multi-touch I tried is no where near the iphone.

And imo Android is a steal of the iphones OS, so I rather buy an iphone and help the people who really invented the thing.

I dont think Apple is more of a big brother than any other company. You dont "have" to buy from itunes, you can put external music,TV,movies,books into any Apple device. The only thing I see Apple controling is apps in the appstore and you can always jailbreak is you really want to install some wierd app.

You're welcome to your opinion.

On my desk right now at work I've got:

iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS [personal phone]
iPhone 3GS w/ iPhoneOS 4.0 Beta 4
iPad 16GB
HTC Magic (Android 1.6)
Google Nexus One (Android 2.1) [personal phone]
Google Nexus One (Android 2.2 beta)
Motorola Milestone (Droid in the States) (Android 2.1)
Samsung Galaxy (Android 1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10A (Android 1.6)
HTC Dream (Cyanogen Android)
Palm Pre
Palm Pixi
HTC HD2 (Windows Mobile)
Nokia N97 (Symbian)
Blackberry Bold 2
Blackberry Storm 2
Blackberry Curve 8900

I personally always carry with me my iPhone 3GS (which I bought) and my Nexus One (disclaimer: I got the N1 for free from Google at a conference). I swap the SIM chip between the two a few times a week, because I recognize the strength and utility of both. When the SIM chip is in one, the other uses WiFi.

Neither platform sucks, and the people who assert that one sucks and the other one doesn't are probably not being very honest.
post #234 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

I doubt those claims about Apple's carrier count and they're unsubstantiated.

Well, you claimed Android is on more carriers, so the onus is on you to substantiate your claim.

Quote:
And I did leave -- some of us are professionals with real jobs and can't spend all day, every day irrationally defending a company they don't even work for.

So you admit that you work for Google? Or are you just here spending part of your day irrationally defending them?
post #235 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

OMG, I need a Goggle TV.

Or a GoOgle TV?
post #236 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So you admit that you work for Google? Or are you just here spending part of your day irrationally defending them?

I don't work for Google, and I never have. A couple of my ex-colleagues work for Google, but another one works for Apple...another works for Mozilla.

I work for an independent company. I write apps for iPhone, Android, WebOS, Windows Phone, and sometimes Blackberry.
post #237 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

There's no hard evidence out there to support this, other than predictions.

I can't say you're completely wrong anymore than you can state that with any degree of certainty.

Sure, but, if you were a content provider, would you wait to see if you are right, shut out from all those eyeballs while you do, for who knows how long, maybe forever? Or would you just say, "screw it, make us a site that doesn't use Flash, now!" That's why I'm confident that I'm correct.
post #238 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So you admit that you work for Google? Or are you just here spending part of your day irrationally defending them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

I don't work for Google, and I never have. A couple of my ex-colleagues work for Google, but another one works for Apple...another works for Mozilla.

I work for an independent company.

So, the second option? Glad we cleared that up.
post #239 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, the second option? Glad we cleared that up.

Since you're not interested in having a grown-up discussion, I'll leave for a bit again. Maybe someone else here is interested in real discussions, I'll check back later.
post #240 of 431
Adobe and Google are wailing and moaning like little children that Apple will take over the world because they sense the end is near. Very few grown up companies cry like them. Boo hoo.

The major tech companies are in turmoil as they are desperately trying to respond to the rapid pace of technology driven by Apple. The ignored ipod. They think they have a footing with the iphone, and then sudden the ipad comes along. Since fathead is no longer on the Apple board of directors, they can not divine the course of the future and they are scared. Google, Adobe, Sony and others are huddle, creating alliances, together trying to brace for the tsunami.

SJ is the grandmaster of strategy, and I believe has a plan. We are witness to something great coming. The hardware, software elements are in place. The server farmers are coming in line. Check, check, and checkmate. Can't you sense it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad