or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad - Page 7

post #241 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Since you're not interested in having a grown-up discussion, I'll leave for a bit again. Maybe someone else here is interested in real discussions, I'll check back later.

Well, you could provide those numbers on worldwide Android vs. iPhone carrier dominance, you know, if you wanted to have a "grown up" discussion, instead of just claiming you don't believe the numbers that contradict you. After that, I figured we were done with reasoned argument, so I'd just make fun of you.
post #242 of 431
Look: I don't have time to look it up, I tried googling it but there's no number easy to find.

I'll retract the claim because I'm not going to support it because I have better things to do.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you care so much about this -- you keep fixating on something as trivial as how many carriers carry each brand of phone. It's a minor point, it doesn't even matter. But you can't refute anything else being said, so when someone says something you don't like you latch on to anything you possibly can to nitpick on then basically call the person names. It's sad, dude.
post #243 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Look: I don't have time to look it up, I tried googling it but there's no number easy to find.

I'll retract the claim because I'm not going to support it because I have better things to do.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you care so much about this -- you keep fixating on something as trivial as how many carriers carry each brand of phone. It's a minor point, it doesn't even matter. But you can't refute anything else being said, so when someone says something you don't like you latch on to anything you possibly can to nitpick on then basically call the person names. It's sad, dude.

If it's such a trivial issue, why are you here promoting Google?
post #244 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Wasn't Apple betrayed before?

Best line of the article:
"If you believe in openness, if you believe in choice, if you believe in innovation from everyone, then welcome to Android"

Whoa! That quote sounds just like Ballmer when he talked about Microsoft Playz for Sure's choice vs Apple. Google even uses the word innovation in a way that it means nothing.

\
post #245 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If it's such a trivial issue, why are you here promoting Google?

I'm not promoting Google, I'm talking about the realities of the market. Android is hot right now, that's how it is.

Just because it's not rah-rah-Apple doesn't mean it's promoting Google. I don't care who "wins", I'm happy with competition. As I said, I regularly use both my iPhone 3GS and Nexus One. I didn't even buy the N1, I got it for free...I bought the iPhone. I use a PC at work and a MacBook Pro at home. I've no allegiances, I just don't care.

These companies don't do anything for me. I use what I like, period.

Edit: But Google does give out better swag at conferences. I get phones each time I go to Google conferences...Apple gives me CDs of trial software. And Apple does reject apps for stupid reasons, which doesn't endear them to my heart much these days. My company's app was rejected after a 3 week wait because we implemented a VOIP system in a feature so people could connect with businesses without paying long distance. They forced us to remove it. Our Android version has that feature.
post #246 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Edit: But Google does give out better swag at conferences. I get phones each time I go to Google conferences...Apple gives me CDs of trial software.

Just have to say that that was quite the reaction when Vic said that everyone in that room would be getting an HTC EVO just for being there.

5,000 free HTC EVOs... If there's a shortage on release day, you know where all that stock went.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #247 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Or a GoOgle TV?

I know what it's *supposed* to be. See the quoted line...
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #248 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sure, but, if you were a content provider, would you wait to see if you are right, shut out from all those eyeballs while you do, for who knows how long, maybe forever? Or would you just say, "screw it, make us a site that doesn't use Flash, now!" That's why I'm confident that I'm correct.

It's just not that simple at all.

no, we'll likely do what we've always done. Create content that has the ability to use multiple ways of delivery. I'm still doing it! That's the beauty of H.264. Something many people conveniently forget, that it allows 'choice'. There things flash video can do which is significant, which html5 -cannot-. Same for other things. html5 cannot despite the bleating of the know-it-alls who know what they read on some blog, do all what flash can. It never will.

I see no drop in demand, and neither are any of the agencies I know of either. As I said, things will change. What will be significant, is what adobe's success (or not) in delivering a good player.

Also, don't discount the fact that flash is always morphing. That AS language has become -aaaaawefully- close to javascript lately... and there's much movement on running flash content -natively without, a plugin... adobe makes nothing off their player, they make $$ on the ide...
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #249 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

How could anyone say this with a straight face?

Android's marketshare is up over 800% year over year, iPhone up 112%. Extrapolate.

Android is already outselling iPhones in the US and is on pace to pass worldwide this year. Android is on a meteoric growth curve right now, growing far faster than iPhone is. And there's no reason to believe that won't continue with how many carriers, how many hardware makers they support. They're activating 100,000 Androids every day right now, and 12,000 apps were added to the Android Market in the past month alone. It's catching up very, very fast.

It really is Mac vs PC from the 80s all over again. That's not to say PC is better than Mac, but far more people will use PCs than Mac. Apple simply can't monopolize the entire market with their couple iPhone models.


800% of 30%, whoops.
800% of 1%, okay.

The numbers you post are meaningless.
post #250 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I know what it's *supposed* to be. See the quoted line...

I didn't mean to offend.

"GoOgle TV" -> "Go-Ogle TV", as in Big Brother is ogling you.
post #251 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Safari/Mac: no. Third party add-on required (such as Glims) or probably a Terminal command.


I find that unacceptable.
post #252 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Just have to say that that was quite the reaction when Vic said that everyone in that room would be getting an HTC EVO just for being there.

5,000 free HTC EVOs... If there's a shortage on release day, you know where all that stock went.

Yeah, and those EVOs will be counted as part of Android's "sales," just like all the other freebies that pump up their sales figures.
post #253 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

If you honestly think Apple is solely after maximum profit and not after what they personally believe is the best product you can buy.. then why wouldn't they just make 2 or 3 versions of the iPhone to try and please every one?

Because they believe that given all relevant factors, their strategy will yield the greatest total profit.

If they thought that 2 or 3 versions would produce higher total profits, all other factors considered, they would do it in a heartbeat.

If they did anything else, they would face lawsuits from the stockholders.

Apple has one goal and one goal only: to maximize total profits. Everything else is just a means to that goal. This is true of every publicly held company.
post #254 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, and those EVOs will be counted as part of Android's "sales," just like all the other freebies that pump up their sales figures.

what about the free iphones, they aren't counted?
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #255 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

what about the free iphones, they aren't counted?

Where do you get free iPhones ??? (Just curious)
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #256 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

No idea, but it'll be a greater number.

Android is on 59 carriers. How many is iPhone on?

Take a look:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937
(Hint: more than that just in Europe)
post #257 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Because they believe that given all relevant factors, their strategy will yield the greatest total profit.

If they thought that 2 or 3 versions would produce higher total profits, all other factors considered, they would do it in a heartbeat.

If they did anything else, they would face lawsuits from the stockholders.

Apple has one goal and one goal only: to maximize total profits. Everything else is just a means to that goal. This is true of every publicly held company.

There is an interview where SJ is asked why on earth they entered the phone business, and his answer was clear: because they hated the hard/soft-ware available and that they build the iPhone to be able to use it themselves.

Please don't get me wrong, I know apple is a business and that they want to make money, but whenever you use a product with the famous Apple on it, or software developed by them, you can feel that it is made with passion/commitment and thought through. (OK, there are some exceptions ...)
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #258 of 431
I totally support choices though after fiddling with my wife's Android phone my choice is definitely still an iPhone/iPod. I hope Android does great though and keeps Apple on it's toes (for my sake). My fear is that someday Google will start closing down and prevent iPhone & iPad access to their services like RSS synching.
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
Reply
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
Reply
post #259 of 431
The difference is that in 1984 IBM was making this.



That future was pretty bleak.

I mean, you can't turn this around on Apple, considering their shit rocks, and IBM's, well, didn't.
post #260 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSF View Post

Don't count them out just yet.

Sorry your wrong. They're down for the count. It's over.
post #261 of 431
so true about people choosing the iphone...i like the fact that i can make a call to ONE number and get hardware and software support....i dont find that a "closed" system but an "easy/convenient" system...just like cable companys asking you to bundle up!
post #262 of 431
a corporation calls its proprietary products open and some people actually believes them.
post #263 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

I just can't get on board with this comment.

Yes these things would be nice to alot of people, but almost all of them involve apple spending money with no real gaurentee of making money.

We all need to rememeber Apple is a business.. weather your a fan of big business or not, you can't honestly expect them to spend time, money and resources on something that will give them little or no gaurentee for return. And I know the best common arguement is "well if they did these things, alot more people would want these products" but the reality is all of these things, in large part, only really make a difference to techy geeks like you and I who love to tweak, hack, unlock and expand anything we can get our hands on with a circuit. This seems over powering in here because we take up the vast majority of blogs, but in reality we are an extremely small fraction of the market.

Apple must first approach all of these things from a business perspective and ask themselves "is this in our best interests as a profitable successful company?" It seems so nice to just say "screw money, I'm just gonna do what the people want!!", and I know alot of company's try and slogan themselves like that but it just isn't how the world works.

I mean come on... all of you work for a living. Would you really go work all day for free?

you are saying apple can only do things that make money, ie having a closed system to sell things an approve all content that goes into the iphone/ipad. sorry i dont agree with that. Macintosh computers get content installed from tons of places. under your thoughts Apple ought to open up an exclusive store to sell Mac software and ban any outside software.

I just believe in times of RECORD APPLE PROFITS, where they are literally rolling in piles of cash. Apple needs to allow more open access for software and programs, and heck even blu-ray hardware in their systems and portable devices.

Apple has proven they censor not only on a content basis, but on a functionality basis as well. ie preventing the google voice app, preventing a vonage app which would add another phone line to your phone, ie a tel #, not the app they approved which is intl long distance only.

I love apple's products, i just don't like the closed systems and minds they are doing with it lately. and i am in a growing amount of people.
post #264 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

pot kettle etc.

(honest, we collected that data from open wifi networks completely by accident)

Was that the best you could come up with? Seriously? You really imagine a google street view car moving at speed connecting to mostly secured wi-fi networks for a fraction of a second for location purposes is in any way like Apple wanting to 'free' users from porn and ban any app they don't like the look of?

Google isn't perfect, no company is, but Google is on a roll now and have surpassed Apple in several areas. Android 2.2 is better than iPhone OS (even 4.0) as it has superior multi-tasking, an open app store, flash support etc. Google TV certainly looks like a huge leap over Apple TV, and Chrome is the best browser on the market. And it's stating the obvious to say that Google's cloud services - email, calender, contacts, video, photos, location, word processing etc are many years ahead of anything Apple have.

On the flip side Google lack any media management software (surprising given how terrible iTunes is on Windows), and I can't imagine Chrome OS ever being more than a novelty item. Plus working with third parties for your hardware has both good and bad sides.

But Apple should be afraid of Google now if they aren't already. Endless money and a clear desire to take on Apple and beat them should make for some interesting years ahead.
post #265 of 431
post #266 of 431
it is interesting to see all the Google trash talking. their problem of course is the arrival of iPhone OS 4 next month and a new generation of Apple hardware, and all the hype that comes with that. not to mention the big success of the iPad. but most of all, the Verizon iPhone which will invade Android's current safe haven. so you got a lot of bravado this week

trash talk and knock offs are cheap.
post #267 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

It's just not that simple at all.

no, we'll likely do what we've always done. Create content that has the ability to use multiple ways of delivery. I'm still doing it! That's the beauty of H.264. Something many people conveniently forget, that it allows 'choice'. There things flash video can do which is significant, which html5 -cannot-. Same for other things. html5 cannot despite the bleating of the know-it-alls who know what they read on some blog, do all what flash can. It never will. .

And HTML can do something that Flash will never do - run on 100,000,000 iDevices (plus all the other non-Apple smartphones that don't run flash - must be pushing a billion by now.

You're pretending that one must write in a finished html 5 today - which is absurd. Lots of people have written very useful sites in html 4 - and they run on everything. As html 5 matures, they can pick it up.

That's the really hilarious part of Adobe's Flash message "write once run everywhere" is far more true of html than it is of Flash since NO smart phone runs Flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

what about the free iphones, they aren't counted?

Go ahead and count them - if you can find any. Then tell me where I get my free iPhone. It's easy to get a free Android phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

There's no hard evidence out there to support this {Flash's impending demise}, other than predictions.

Other than the near daily reports of companies that are switching from Flash back to html.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #268 of 431
EDIT: I retract this post because I did not read the post i was replying to properly, because I am drunk.


On a sober note, google are proving to be bigger scumbags than microsoft could have ever have been.


I wish them all the viruses, trojan's and buggy software that 'openess' brings.

what a bunch of tossers
post #269 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

How could anyone say this with a straight face?

Android's marketshare is up over 800% year over year, iPhone up 112%. Extrapolate.

Android is already outselling iPhones in the US and is on pace to pass worldwide this year. Android is on a meteoric growth curve right now, growing far faster than iPhone is. And there's no reason to believe that won't continue with how many carriers, how many hardware makers they support. They're activating 100,000 Androids every day right now, and 12,000 apps were added to the Android Market in the past month alone. It's catching up very, very fast.

It really is Mac vs PC from the 80s all over again. That's not to say PC is better than Mac, but far more people will use PCs than Mac. Apple simply can't monopolize the entire market with their couple iPhone models.

Extrapolate?

Riiiight. Cuz you know what Apple's going to do next. Cuz you assume Apple will stand still.

Cuz you assume that Android will keep going the way it's been going.

As soon as people realize that upgrading is a bitch, and that Android doesn't always == Android, and that it's a fragmented market *already* which will only lead to pain and suffering, and that it's all a bunch of shortcuts taken to get to market faster to generate that so-called 800% (which is a bullsh*t number anyway), it's just as likely that Android will fall apart.

Look at the lying and the stupidities in the Google TV promo video!

It's just a blue sky idea and the only way they could make it work was to pretend TiVO never existed...and STILL they expect people to TYPE AT THEIR TVs!

Yeah, they're doing well.
post #270 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And HTML can do something that Flash will never do - run on 100,000,000 iDevices (plus all the other non-Apple smartphones that don't run flash - must be pushing a billion by now.

You're pretending that one must write in a finished html 5 today - which is absurd. Lots of people have written very useful sites in html 4 - and they run on everything. As html 5 matures, they can pick it up.

That's the really hilarious part of Adobe's Flash message "write once run everywhere" is far more true of html than it is of Flash since NO smart phone runs Flash.



Go ahead and count them - if you can find any. Then tell me where I get my free iPhone. It's easy to get a free Android phone.



Other than the near daily reports of companies that are switching from Flash back to html.

First of all, I wasn't taking about html4, how is that relevant. I was referring to the notion that flash is -now- dead-, apparently, and html5 has replaced it. It hasn't, and certainly has a ways to go before it can replace a number of things flash does now. Of course by that time, flash will have released new full versions, it's a mistake to assume it will stand still, certainly more so now that the stakes are much higher. It seems most I chat with, have no idea of it's capabilities. People seem to think it's only used as a video player, and it has some vector animation capabilities.

Anyway, you'd get a free iphone in Japan, I hear they trouble selling them there, so now they're giving them away.

I love the iphone, don't get me wrong, I think apple has a great product. But the sometimes the silliness, hyperbole and outright fabrications on either side can get a little funny at times.

near daily reports? You only wish.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #271 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Your original statement was "Oh, please, there's nothing open about Android or Google. "

But please keep going.

DIdn't Google just bless Flash as part of the official Open Web?

I'll agree with you, though, Chrome has open technology in it: The render engine of their Chrome Browser is WebKit.

Y'know. From Apple?
post #272 of 431
and god bless apple for webkit.

Perhaps microsoft would do well to finally put a fork in IE's ass and take on webkit themselves.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #273 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

a corporation calls its proprietary products open and some people actually believes them.

...thats because the majority of "people" are thick as shit. A sea of visionless gimps with unwarranted opinions.
post #274 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Sorry your wrong. They're down for the count. It's over.

yep. They have one chance left in my eyes, and thats if they buy blackberry. Even then its a long shot. I will actually miss them. They were an amusing opposition in the computer wars. Brain dead on every level.
post #275 of 431
Big brother?!? This from the guys that took private information from people's wifi networks and continues to gather more private information from every single query in their search engine? Not to mentions gmail, gchat, google docs, youtube, etc. etc.
post #276 of 431
Talk about Big Brother. So Google is keeping track of where we're going when we use Google Maps navigation? So let's say they get a subpoena to release tracking data by the Feds, are they going to cave?
post #277 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Because they believe that given all relevant factors, their strategy will yield the greatest total profit.

If they thought that 2 or 3 versions would produce higher total profits, all other factors considered, they would do it in a heartbeat.

If they did anything else, they would face lawsuits from the stockholders.

Apple has one goal and one goal only: to maximize total profits. Everything else is just a means to that goal. This is true of every publicly held company.

Ya I think I'm going to have to give you that one.. but that doesn't necessarily mean their intentions are Evil/Bad. The doesn't mean their strategy for maintaining that maximum product isn't providing the best product and service they possibly can.. Companies like this are few and far between but I think Apple has shown time and time again that this is where their minds are.

I think another impossible issue with this whole openness argument is that it is, for the most part, made by people who's only real concerns have to with features THEY personally want. If John Smith is upset because his phone won't let him download non-app store apps and apple decides to change that, is he going to come back and fight the same fight for people who want the phone not to be locked to one carrier?

When most people say their phone isn't open or apple is making their decisions for them what they really mean is the phone just doesn't do everything THEY specifically want.. which by definition makes "openness" a myth for any phone because no phone is ever going to make EVERYONE happy.

And this is kind of a side note but I just simply do not agree with anyone who thinks Apple shouldn't screen apps going into their store. It's just ridiculous!! They provide the software to create them and all the advise you need, and the rules are simple.. it can't be excessively inappropriate, it can't be useless (which I concede is debatable :P), and if it comes down to features that provide functionality for this APPLE phone then they get first dibs.. can you really expect ANYTHING else? They're putting their name on it, so they need to be ok with it.
post #278 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Was that the best you could come up with? Seriously? You really imagine a google street view car moving at speed connecting to mostly secured wi-fi networks for a fraction of a second for location purposes is in any way like Apple wanting to 'free' users from porn and ban any app they don't like the look of?

Google isn't perfect, no company is, but Google is on a roll now and have surpassed Apple in several areas. Android 2.2 is better than iPhone OS (even 4.0) as it has superior multi-tasking, an open app store, flash support etc. Google TV certainly looks like a huge leap over Apple TV, and Chrome is the best browser on the market. And it's stating the obvious to say that Google's cloud services - email, calender, contacts, video, photos, location, word processing etc are many years ahead of anything Apple have.

On the flip side Google lack any media management software (surprising given how terrible iTunes is on Windows), and I can't imagine Chrome OS ever being more than a novelty item. Plus working with third parties for your hardware has both good and bad sides.

But Apple should be afraid of Google now if they aren't already. Endless money and a clear desire to take on Apple and beat them should make for some interesting years ahead.

I disagree with you on everything you mentioned here EXCEPT their cloud services.. I do think that is the future of business.. but in retrospect I also see Apple expanding it's mobile me or an extended version of to strongly compete in this rapidly expanding area. Tons of potential. I'm actually surprised you're the first person to mention that so far.
post #279 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

you are saying apple can only do things that make money, ie having a closed system to sell things an approve all content that goes into the iphone/ipad. sorry i dont agree with that. Macintosh computers get content installed from tons of places. under your thoughts Apple ought to open up an exclusive store to sell Mac software and ban any outside software.

I just believe in times of RECORD APPLE PROFITS, where they are literally rolling in piles of cash. Apple needs to allow more open access for software and programs, and heck even blu-ray hardware in their systems and portable devices.

Apple has proven they censor not only on a content basis, but on a functionality basis as well. ie preventing the google voice app, preventing a vonage app which would add another phone line to your phone, ie a tel #, not the app they approved which is intl long distance only.

I love apple's products, i just don't like the closed systems and minds they are doing with it lately. and i am in a growing amount of people.

Wow.. thank you for telling me my thoughts, I was clearly unaware of them.. dick.

lol kidding, you make some good points.
post #280 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why? I stopped using Google about a year ago and am happy with Bing.

Google, OTOH effectively controls all your data on the Internet and all your personal information. There's absolutely no way to stay out of their sights (unless you're a hermit living in the hills of South Dakota). Who's Big Brother, again?

I thought you use Bing for Search. You don't have to use GMail, Google Maps, Picasa, Google Voice, Google Navigation. So they only access the data that any crawler can access. I can understand the irrational angst over Google on AI since Android is miles better than the iPhone OS (in my view) and the hardware has now eclipsed the iPhone (possibly the upcoming 4th gen as well). I switched from the iPhone to the G1 and loved it back then, in spite of a substantially inferior hardware. Now that it's gone mainstream, the iPhone mind share will eventually decrease as well. The iPhone 3GS is a good phone on it's own merit. It's not for me, but obviously it's for many.

In the last few months, I have been seeing a lot of general negativity against Apple - not just user posts in various forums, but also in the media. I don't understand some of the nastiness, but Apple has been doing a piss poor job of PR - mostly by their actions. I saw the same thing (fawning turning into slamming) of Microsoft in the late 90s - again, mostly because of their actions. I think Apple thoroughly deserves this, just like Microsoft did back when. And if Google oversteps their bounds, so will they. But so far, they haven't. If they do, some one else will come along and we'll all use that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad