or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad - Page 9

post #321 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It seems to me that the logical conclusion is that Apple's vertically integrated model is deficient, if market share is a priority.

Actually, I suggest they are far ahead of others if market share is a priority.
They are the 7th largest cell phone manufacturer & with a single model.

You are comparing the iPhone (one, product, one company) against Android (an OS (actually multiple OS if you count specific versions by cell companies) that goes onto many devices by many companies).
post #322 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

In The Beginning, you also needed a Mac.

The iPod never really took off until a Windows version of iTunes became available.

Your point is irrelevant. Apple aren't looking to be the biggest and have the largest market share; they are looking to create the best products, the best user experience and big profits. Biggest market share is irrelevant in all of their goals. The most famous products on the planet are created by Apple and they're making a shed load of money. This pathetic criticism is other companies showing how rattled they are while copying Apple. Google tv, music store, smart phone os? How original. What next - a zune running android?
post #323 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Google is obviously envious and/or running scared.

"1984" is in the stale past and has nothing to do with anything. It's feeble FUD.

The fact is, Apple's current prosperity has everything to do with its mislabeled "closed" system.

"Control" is a bad word only to the poor slobs out there who've suffered from lack of good control in their lives and who are consequently irrationally rebelling against it. Apple has benefitted from good leadership under Steve Jobs and from well-defined policy, the purpose of which is not oppressive in the least, but it rather establishes a basis of agreements within an activity or company. These agreements foster efficiency and good communication, and in turn foster a certain "esprit d'corps" which is vital to a company's long term survival.

Others see what Apple has built and what it has and the success it is now enjoying, and they're understandably envious. They also don't seem to understand that "competition" really doesn't consist of "attack" or "battle" or "war". A sane response would simply be to use Apple as an example and to organize competing companies to study what Apple has done that work well and to try to improve on those things.

Good word. There is a reason we use terms like market leader, apple is leading the way in innovation and people are running to catch up. Think about how stagnant the smart phone market was before Apple entered it! Apple isn't keeping anyone from doing anything. The people whining about Apple's "closed" system are going to whine about something no matter what, it's what they do. I hate that AT&T still doesn't have iPhone tethering, but you better believe I till love my iPhone & how it's freed up my life. When I had a blackberry I couldn't have imagined not having tethering (I'm support network infrastructure 24/7). I moved to the iPhone because everything I once needed to tether my laptop for I can now do directly from my iPhone!! Reboot servers, remote into both Macs & PCs, sky is the limit!

I'm sure there are some apps out there for Google that do the same thing, but not one of the android phones out there comes close to the precision of Apple's touch technology.

I pay for the overall experience. I pay for the closed system that is more stable, better hardware & software integration, and I pay for it cause it's beautiful.
post #324 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Apple+Idealism=Profits, the Business Model I believe in!
Google-Idealism=Profits, the Business Model you're comfortable working with.

You believe it's a rat race out there; the purse to the sleazy...
I'd put my money on the Unicorn in a horse race; the purse to the dreamy...

I'm a realist.

Both companies have visions and both companies chase profits. The notion that Apple is some kind of angelic "idealistic" company (that just so happens to have the largest profit margins in the business, which means they're taking far more money from your pocket than other companies) is beyond silly.

Apple is out here to make as much money as possible. That's the goal of any publicly traded company. They have a unique style and approach to business (simplified product lineup + great styling + high profit margins) but to confuse that with some kind of idealism is folly. If anything, Apple's PR historically has been some of the misleading and unidealistic marketing I've ever seen -- do you remember the claims that G4s were "supercomputers"? Their "idealism" leads them to do some things like intentionally change iTunes specifically to break interoperability with other manufacturer's devices. That doesn't help the consumer in any way, despite Apple's spin that it does. Those are not examples of idealism.
post #325 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I pay for the overall experience. I pay for the closed system that is more stable, better hardware & software integration, and I pay for it cause it's beautiful.

Amen to that, brother. By the way, Heaven is a closed system. Earth is an open system. Take your pick.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #326 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

You stated flash is dead. Beyond some companies deciding to use html5 for video delivery, I don't really see a whole lot different, -as of yet-. The same companies, who never used flash to deliver video at a time flash didn't do video, yet still thrived! Imagine that!

No response.

That doesn't seem to be a question, but I think I've already addressed that issue

Quote:
You stated html5 can do stuff flash can't. I asked what.

no response.

Work on mobile platforms.

Believe what you want, but Flash is dead.
post #327 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


As to whether Apple would leverage customer info for their benefit, there are at least two factors to consider: a) Apple's entire business model isn't based on collection and exploitation of "customer" information


That has now changed. The iTunes store has yielded Apple many millions of customers, along with their detailed data. There has been press on this, and it is one reason why Apple has leverage with the recording industry.

So while the entire business model is not based upon customer information, it is becoming a lucrative sideline.
post #328 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

I'm sorry dude, but this entire post was absolutely ridiculous. You've got fanboy blinders on, there's nothing left to be said.

You think I'm pimping Google because I'm observing that Android is hot and has momentum right now. You're obviously just insecure with your allegiance to Apple.

As I've said, I've no allegiances. Google doesn't pay me, Apple doesn't pay me. I don't pay Google anything (all my Android phones I've gotten for free through my job, I don't even see AdWords since I use CustomizeGoogle + Adblock), but I buy lots of Apple products (iPhones, MacBooks Pros, etc).

I simply don't care who "wins". I like competition. My job, though, lies with mobile app development. It requires me to be on top of it and support the whole market. As a result, I've got extensive experience in both using and developing for all of the major mobile platforms.

Your insecurity is a bit ridiculous. Apple is just a company like Google, trying to make big bucks. Stop attacking people who don't pimp your "chosen company" blindly. It's pathetic.

One of us has blinders on, but it's not me. And I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking Google, although, I do find your blind Google evangelism a bit, as you would say, pathetic. If you really believe you have no allegiances, you're being dishonest with yourself, your allegiances are pretty clear. Sorry, but, "I buy lots of Apple products," doesn't grant you magical neutrality.

If you think my post is ridiculous, point out why. But, frankly, I think you're just in denial that you're in league with the devil, metaphorically speaking. As I said before, you seem incapable of seeing beyond technological issues, exactly what Google is hoping for, and a bit sad for all of us that this is true of you and so many people who work in tech.
post #329 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

That has now changed. The iTunes store has yielded Apple many millions of customers, along with their detailed data. There has been press on this, and it is one reason why Apple has leverage with the recording industry.

So while the entire business model is not based upon customer information, it is becoming a lucrative sideline.

And, what are they currently doing with this data?
post #330 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreamz View Post

Can you tell me which contribution for profit is better? At least as far as the end user is concerned.

If I had to choose a world in which either Apple were to disappear or Google were to disappear, so that I could never use any of their products ever again, then the answer is easy.

I use Google stuff all day ever day. I consider a lot of their stuff to be best in breed.


The only Apple product I use is my iPhone. If Apple were to disappear, I would not be impacted hardly at all.

So from my own selfish perspective, I think that Google has given a much larger contribution to the end user. Aside from iPods and iPhones, people use Apple products very rarely.
post #331 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

I'm a realist.

Actually (and now I am commenting on you personally, although, as an example of a certain type of person) you are not a realist. You are an opportunist. You don't care about ideals, you don't care about real, often difficult issues, or what the truth is, you only care about exploiting what you can for your own advantage without concern for the consequences. Which makes you a pretty good fit with Google.

"I am a realist," is what people tell themselves to make it easier to look at themselves in the mirror and sleep at night.

Quote:
[Apple's] "idealism" leads them to do some things like intentionally change iTunes specifically to break interoperability with other manufacturer's devices.

Right, because they have no right to protect their intellectual property from leaches. Your problem is that you aren't capable of any but a simplistic view of the world. Apple must meet some artificial definition of idealism or they are no different from Google, no different from Microsoft, no different from Kim Jong-il (to paraphrase Google). Being idealistic doesn't mean you have to let people walk all over you, which is what Palm was trying to do.
post #332 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

Exactly! The tech world should never allow another Microsoft (Google) to totally dominate the industry. It is not healthy. I'd much rather see a world where nobody stays on top for long. Constant tech war is what we need.

Really? The Tech world seems to be backing Google full speed ahead to monopolize the Internet.

Adobe is playing mind games with the press - and they're falling for it.

Apple has specifically told advertisers that they will not provide personal information to advertisers, nor even break down consumer information in enough detail to be able to identify users. If you are concerned about Apple, you simply don't buy their products.

Google, OTOH, has a number of major privacy problems - including being found to be buying personal information from Facebook. Google took the position around 2004 that copyright laws didn't apply to them and that they had the right to copy and profit form anything they wished - without the author's permission. Google tracks enormous amounts of personal information off the web, including your credit card numbers, web sites you've visited, and even pictures of your home. More info at http://www.google-watch.org/.

Which one sounds more like Big Brother?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #333 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

first of all you're referring to 3rd party companies. I spoke of apple.

secondly if you think calling people ignorant fools arguing for the sake of arguing is filled with well put together thoughts, I suppose you'll fit in with the attack and call'em anti apple if they dare post something 'bad' crowd.

I'm talking about Apple. You said "Apple.... to their benefit..", so I'm responding to that. Apple will not collect information on users to benefit from it in the same way as all of the other companies will. That was my point. It was lucid and easily understandable.


"secondly if you think calling people ignorant fools arguing for the sake of arguing is filled with well put together thoughts, I suppose you'll fit in with the attack and call'em anti apple if they dare post something 'bad' crowd."

I'm sorry, your complete incoherency is getting in the way of a decent back and forth so at this point, I will give up trying to understand what you are saying. Try and construct an easier sentence. Remember, lucidity.
Number of people in ignore list : 1
Reply
Number of people in ignore list : 1
Reply
post #334 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Apple didn't make WebKit, they took KHTML and renamed it and expanded on it. Google also adopted WebKit/KHTML and expanded on it.

Apple adopted WebKit in 2002-2003. Several years before Google got into it.
post #335 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

You stated html5 can do stuff flash can't. I asked what.

1) HTML5 works without a buggy plugin
2) HTML5 will be a standard agreed upon by standards organizations, not a single company
post #336 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

1) HTML5 works without a buggy plugin
2) HTML5 will be a standard agreed upon by standards organizations, not a single company

Nice try, though unfortunately, your answers have absolutely nothing to do with the question.

as a developer, I don't care if it uses a plugin, or... not. As long as it has wide use. And I couldn't care less if it was developed by one company, or 50. Clearly, hundreds of thousands of developers side with me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Apple adopted WebKit in 2002-2003. Several years before Google got into it.

you need to add a "so theeeereeee...' or naaaa na na na naaaaa or something to that affect.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #337 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobility View Post

I'm talking about Apple. You said "Apple.... to their benefit..", so I'm responding to that. Apple will not collect information on users to benefit from it in the same way as all of the other companies will. That was my point. It was lucid and easily understandable.


"secondly if you think calling people ignorant fools arguing for the sake of arguing is filled with well put together thoughts, I suppose you'll fit in with the attack and call'em anti apple if they dare post something 'bad' crowd."

I'm sorry, your complete incoherency is getting in the way of a decent back and forth so at this point, I will give up trying to understand what you are saying. Try and construct an easier sentence. Remember, lucidity.

"your complete incoherency"

ah, yet another one completely incapable of having a conversation, accepting that I might have a different opinion, so they revert to calling me names.

Apparently it's the thing to do around here. "Ignorant fool, "complete incoherency", all methods of dealing with opposing opinions eh?

Sorry pal, but I don't believe apple has my privacy's best interest's at heart. Just don't. No matter how many names you call me, or stamp your feet.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #338 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

"your complete incoherency"

ah, yet another one completely incapable of having a conversation, accepting that I might have a different opinion, so they revert to calling me names.

Apparently it's the thing to do around here. "Ignorant fool, "complete incoherency", all methods of dealing with opposing opinions eh?

Sorry pal, but I don't believe apple has my privacy's best interest's at heart. Just don't. No matter how many names you call me, or stamp your feet.

Well, most of what you write doesn't make any sense, your arguments don't follow any logic, and you can't seem to comprehend that you are just an anecdote, not a trend. That and that you're simply wrong about pretty much everything. What are we to do?
post #339 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, most of what you write doesn't make any sense, your arguments don't follow any logic, and you can't seem to comprehend that you are just an anecdote, not a trend. That and that you're simply wrong about pretty much everything. What are we to do?

When you can address the topic, let me know. But this yammering about how I don't make sense is tiring.

I simply have a different opinion and I suppose that's confusing for you?

Typical forum BS.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #340 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

as a developer, I don't care if it uses a plugin, or... not. As long as it has wide use. And I couldn't care less if it was developed by one company, or 50. Clearly, hundreds of thousands of developers side with me on this.

Yet those hundreds of thousands of developers are apparently smarter than you because at least THEY realize that Flash does not reach mobile users today - and even if Adobe manages to meet their goals for a change, will only reach an insignificant number of mobile users by year end.

That is, you keep ignoring the one thing that html and other technologies can do that Flash can't - reach a billion mobile users.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #341 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

When you can address the topic, let me know. But this yammering about how I don't make sense is tiring.

I simply have a different opinion and I suppose that's confusing for you?

Typical forum BS.

No, I understand what your opinion is. You're simply wrong. All opinions are not of equal value. Yours is simply based on your own personal experience and is therefore of little to no value.

Although, you are a bit of an Adobe tool, too, you have to admit.
post #342 of 431
You know what the biggest irony in this whole debate is that Android is open source and considered a non-gated garden (unlike iPhone), but all the cell phone providers build their own gardens and make it all proprietary.

What do you want to bet that if Verizon had the iPhone that it would still run same apps that was running on AT&T's iPhone. This is the write once run anywhere model, something even Google pursues (but is failing with Android). True freedom and flexibility for applications. How the apps are delivered to your device shouldn't matter.
post #343 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, I understand what your opinion is. You're simply wrong. All opinions are not of equal value. Yours is simply based on your own personal experience and is therefore of little to no value.

Although, you are a bit of an Adobe tool, too, you have to admit.

oooh there it is, "adobe tool".

Lessee. Ignorant fool, adobe tool... LMAO. The tactics of someone out of ideas.

Sorry pal, I use apple computers, love them. Wouldn't consider another platform, certainly not for now. I use adobe software, as well as many different companies. I see the good, and the bad. I don't have blinders on for any one company. I'm not the one defending only one company to the death here LOL.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #344 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

oooh there it is, "adobe tool".

Lessee. Ignorant fool, adobe tool... LMAO. The tactics of someone out of ideas.

Sorry pal, I use apple computers, love them. Wouldn't consider another platform, certainly not for now. I use adobe software, as well as many different companies. I see the good, and the bad. I don't have blinders on for any one company. I'm not the one defending only one company to the death here LOL.

No, you're the one here defending the technology your livelihood depends on to death.

As for your "Apple love", you stated in another thread that you don't have much faith in them. Doesn't sound like love to me. You should get your story straight.

I'm not out of ideas, it's just that you have only one, fully discredited, but repeated by you ad nauseum, so what's left to say other than that you're wrong. Which of us showed up here solely to defend Flash? Which of us showed up in this thread only once Flash was mentioned? If it looks like a tool and walks like a tool, it's a tool.
post #345 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, you're the one here defending the technology your livelihood depends on to death.

As for your "Apple love", you stated in another thread that you don't have much faith in them. Doesn't sound like love to me. You should get your story straight.

I'm not out of ideas, it's just that you have only one, fully discredited, but repeated by you ad nauseum, so what's left to say other than that you're wrong. Which of us showed up here solely to defend Flash? Which of us showed up in this thread only once Flash was mentioned? If it looks like a tool and walks like a tool, it's a tool.

ahhh, here's the direct quote, I said:
Quote:
it appears you have less faith in apple than I do...

try again...


anyway, now you're going in circles. I've finished my coffee it's time to go enjoy the day. later.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #346 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

... anyway, now you're going in circles.

We've been going in circles for weeks. Flash is dead. Accept it or not, see it or not, its fate is already decided.
post #347 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

We've been going in circles for weeks. Flash is dead. Accept it or not, see it or not, its fate is already decided.

well, as long as it seems to have been decided by a handful of posters here who'll defend steve jobs to the death, I think flash will be around for some time.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #348 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

well, as long as it seems to have been decided by a handful of posters here who'll defend steve jobs to the death, I think flash will be around for some time.

See, this is where you show a complete lack of understanding. Saying that Flash is dead has nothing to do with Steve Jobs. Maybe this issue only came to your attention when he published his "Thoughts on Flash", but it's been discussed here long before that. We know what you think. We also know that it has no basis other than your own wishful thinking, no basis other than your inability to accept that something you are committed to is on its way out, no basis other than simple denial of reality.
post #349 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

See, this is where you show a complete lack of understanding. Saying that Flash is dead has nothing to do with Steve Jobs. Maybe this issue only came to your attention when he published his "Thought on Flash", but it's been discussed here long before that. We know what you think. We also know that it has no basis other than your own wishful thinking, no basis other than your inability to accept that something you are committed to is on its way out, no basis other than simple denial of reality.

you've posted ZERO evidence that flash is dead.

Perhaps you can go tell the hundreds of thousands of developers who are still developing on the platform.

Maybe you can go call them ignorant fools too. Good luck with that.

Maybe you call all the users downloading flash on android ignorant fools.

You're full of crap. You've made unsubstantiated statements, and declared flash as dead, before any real evidence of such an event has sown itself. So, therefore, it's your OPINION.

You're welcome to your OPINION, but calling other ignorant fools because they disagree, well, that says it all friend. It says it all.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #350 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

you've posted ZERO evidence that flash is dead.

Perhaps you can go tell the hundreds of thousands of developers who are still developing on the platform.

Actually, I and others have repeatedly posted reams of evidence why Flash is dead. Evidence that you conveniently ignore in your "counterarguments". So, you either have a reading comprehension problem or a desire to misrepresent.

Where will I go to let the Flash developers know what's about to happen? Do they hang out down at Club COBOL?
post #351 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, I and others have repeatedly posted reams of evidence why Flash is dead. Evidence that you conveniently ignore in your "counterarguments". So, you either have a reading comprehension problem or a desire to misrepresent.

Where will I go to let the Flash developers know what's about to happen? Do they hang out down at Club COBOL?

reams of evidence? what that some companies have decided to use html5 for video delivery, and that html5 is "GONNA" kill flash?

That's reams of evidence? pfffft.

Ok. Sounds like a slam dunk to me...
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #352 of 431
Google = future Microsoft of non-PC devices
Vic Gundotra = future Steve Ballmer

Vic was pretty smug. Wanted to shove an iPhone up his *** just to wipe that smirk of his face.

And they were using a Mac for the presentation. LOLs why not use a PC with ChromeOS or something on it.

Good on those getting onto Android, that will pretty much kill Windows Mobile (good riddance to bad rubbish) and give Symbian a run for their money.

In the meantime, Apple will be Apple. Apple's not perfect, and I ain't happy with some of the things they do and the support I get in my country, but tinkering with different versions of Android on different average hardware devices... Meh

<Begin with the flaming calling me an Apple fanboy>

BTW Thanks to Spirit Jailbreak I am running a nice Winterboard theme, got Veency on my iPhone, and other possibilities abound. Also BTW in my country I have tethering. Next up, WiFi syncing of iTunes to explore as well as MyFi / MyWi
post #353 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Amen to that, brother. By the way, Heaven is a closed system. Earth is an open system. Take your pick.

Actually I see it the other way round. But that would derail this thread even further, I don't even know where this thread is now.
post #354 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, I and others have repeatedly posted reams of evidence why Flash is dead. Evidence that you conveniently ignore in your "counterarguments". So, you either have a reading comprehension problem or a desire to misrepresent.

Where will I go to let the Flash developers know what's about to happen? Do they hang out down at Club COBOL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

reams of evidence? what that some companies have decided to use html5 for video delivery, and that html5 is "GONNA" kill flash?

That's reams of evidence? pfffft.

Ok. Sounds like a slam dunk to me...

Flash is as "dead" as the world using fossil fuels. Ideally a lot of people want to move on but the current reality sucks.
post #355 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

reams of evidence? what that some companies have decided to use html5 for video delivery, and that html5 is "GONNA" kill flash?

That's reams of evidence? pfffft.

Ok. Sounds like a slam dunk to me...

Still not clear if you have a reading comprehension problem or just a desire to misrepresent, leaning toward the latter theory, though.
post #356 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

I'm a realist.

Both companies have visions and both companies chase profits. The notion that Apple is some kind of angelic "idealistic" company (that just so happens to have the largest profit margins in the business, which means they're taking far more money from your pocket than other companies) is beyond silly.

Apple is out here to make as much money as possible. That's the goal of any publicly traded company. They have a unique style and approach to business (simplified product lineup + great styling + high profit margins) but to confuse that with some kind of idealism is folly. If anything, Apple's PR historically has been some of the misleading and unidealistic marketing I've ever seen -- do you remember the claims that G4s were "supercomputers"? Their "idealism" leads them to do some things like intentionally change iTunes specifically to break interoperability with other manufacturer's devices. That doesn't help the consumer in any way, despite Apple's spin that it does. Those are not examples of idealism.

Apple is no angel, they are though in a lot of cases the "lesser evil". I'm pissed at Apple for many things but the alternative, for example, a HP Mini netbook running Windows 7, is... sigh... just money down the toilet.
post #357 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Flash is as "dead" as the world using fossil fuels. Ideally a lot of people want to move on but the current reality sucks.

Maybe it seemed like a clever turn of phrase to you when you wrote it?

You can stay in denial as long as you want, but its fate is decided and it's a dead-end technology.
post #358 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Flash is as "dead" as the world using fossil fuels. Ideally a lot of people want to move on but the current reality sucks.

well unsure of the analogy, but I get your point and agree somewhat. Things are very much in flux and don't think anything is 'decided' (other than in the minds of Steve Job's apostles maybe). But certainly the next year or possibly 2 will shape where things will go. Certainly not many (myself included) expected android to suddenly start doing so well. I hope they don't become the next microsoft.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #359 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Flash is as "dead" as the world using fossil fuels. Ideally a lot of people want to move on but the current reality sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Maybe it seemed like a clever turn of phrase to you when you wrote it?

You can stay in denial as long as you want, but its fate is decided and it's a dead-end technology.

I think nvidia2008's analogy is very fitting. Like HTML5, there are plenty of newer fuels under development and it has hit the market in limited quantities. However, like Flash, the bulk of the world still uses fossil fuels.

I think an analogy for your line of thought is that since fossil fuels are technically also a "dead end" technology, that we should all stop using cars that use gas and jump into hydrogen or all-electric cars. Problem is, that the infrastructure (like HTML5 saturation) isn't there to support such an abrupt jump.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #360 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I think nvidia2008's analogy is very fitting. Like HTML5, there are plenty of newer fuels under development and it has hit the market in limited quantities. However, like Flash, the bulk of the world still uses fossil fuels.

I think an analogy for your line of thought is that since fossil fuels are technically also a "dead end" technology, that we should all stop using cars that use gas and jump into hydrogen or all-electric cars. Problem is, that the infrastructure (like HTML5 saturation) isn't there to support such an abrupt jump.

No, it's a dumb analogy, there are no parallels. Clinging to Flash is clinging to false hope.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad