or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple removes 'Get a Mac' ads from site, finalizing end of campaign
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple removes 'Get a Mac' ads from site, finalizing end of campaign - Page 2

post #41 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

In conference calls, Apple representatives have made it no secret that high-end Mac models and high-priced Apple Pro apps are disappointing in their sales.

In one of these conference calls a rep called Apple's high-end (as described above) as "economically challenging" for Apple.

When the switch from PPC to Intel was made, Steve wasn't interested in killing the Mac at that time. It's since iPhone OS and the iPad that he now resents the Mac and will do everything he can to treat it with "death by a thousand cuts."

You don't see mass advertising campaigns (e.g. TV ads for a general audience) for high-end Macs or software because they appeal to a specialized (but lucrative) demographic.

But point to me one Mac Pro or Final Cut Studio or Logic Studio print ad in a specialized pro video or audio magazine. Sony is all over these.

The chances are greater that a high-end, specialized Mac like the Mac Pro will be killed vs. a low-end, broad-appeal Mac like a notebook, low-end iMac or Mac mini.

But the process had begun. The Mac is slowly having its blood drained. Steve commands you to use Apple mobile devices now. The personal computer era is over. It will now be enforced.

The Mac will get the microfloppy and Adobe Flash treatment -- you watch.

And what will Apple use to develop/code/create the next iOS kernels? A Windows machine? Or do you think SJ will introduce some magical pixie-dust that will allow self-generating binary code?
post #42 of 158
Guys,

Let's not sound so funerial.... The Sky is not falling! Steve Jobs is not going to take the individual posters here to ease anyone's paranoia about the future of Macs.... Some folks might think that Mac is dead, and try to make it sound logical, but then it's only those folks' opinion, that is not base on anything the Apple said or did...

The Mac Desktops can't be innovated as quickly as the brand new product lines like iPods, iPhone, iPads... Desktops are an older concept, and a few cosmetic changes don't warrant much fanfare! The HD's can be upgraded, and the Video Cards etc. So, we are not going to see Major Refreshes too often and too dramatic!

The Pro Software already does a TON of stuff, and there can't be too many Revolutions there! Thus, we can't expect Apple to SCREAM about them too often too loudly!

But, let's consider the WORST CASE SCENARIO, as per the negative Mac Desktop is dead earlier posts! In that case, Apple can still open OS to the 3rd party like HP, Dell etc. But, that's as likely to happen as seeing Taliban on American Idol!

Another Remote Possibility: Virtual Mac OS running on Windows, ala Parallels or VM Ware running Windows on Macs...

But, still both of those scenarios are too silly:

iPads, iPhones require Mobile Me, and one would need a Mac for that, or some kind of desktop!!! So, why would Apple give up on those sales?

iPads, iPhones are a HALO EFFECT MAGNETS that will bring bigger crowds to Apple Stores. People will be exposed to Macs and end up switching to Macs from Windows, on the assumption that Macs are as easy and fun as iPads, iPhones, or because they are bored with Windows, and are tired of viruses....

So, the Rumors of Mac Desktop Deaths are Premature and Greatly Blown Out of Proportion!

I will miss those Get a Mac Ads, and still them on YouTube. I assume that Apple Controls that Channel... I don't see why the would Delete them! Those ads are part of Computer/Tech History! They will be viewed for years to come!

The New Mac Ads will appear! Apple doesn't need to make fun of Microsoft any more, and vs. They don't even need to make fun of Google! Apple needs to continue making the best products, and let those speak for themselves, via the actual sales numbers, not opinion polls!!!

The Movie Studios, TV Networks etc. will play Apple vs. Google Divide and Conquer games, same with ISPs, Wireless Carriers, and Social Media! In the end, the WORLD is big enough for ALL of those companies!!!

We'll be always able to shoot our movies and edit them, write our text and edit it, same with photo and other stuff!

The Sky is NOT Falling! The Cloud Computing is Coming! In the end it's about CONTENT and EASE OF ACCESS/DISTRIBUTION!

Google and Android will keep Fragmenting itself, and same with Windows Mobile. Mac Universe of iPhone, Mobile Me etc. will look SIMPLER, more STABLE, with better SUPPORT!

New iPhone and other New Stuff is coming, and will keep coming long after all of us are gone! Sony will assemble their Android TVs. Apple will get someone assemble their products! The Logos will say Sony, Apple etc., and a few geeks will know the actual names of the plants/suppliers for these Resellers like Apple and Sony! In the end it's SOFTWARE and how it all come/WORKS TOGETHER!

APPLE STORES and the SUPPORT will be 2nd to NOBODY, and Apple's Future is BRIGHT!

People will vote with their $$ and we'll always have our Macs!

Relax, and enjoy your Summer everybody!!!

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #43 of 158
OK, it seems that ONLY thing they have to sell about Win 7 is "Snap". How many commercials are there out there that show someone dragging one window to the left and one to the right? Does it do anything else?
post #44 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Just exactly what are you smokin' dude and where do I get some? Your remarks are some of the most ridiculous I have read in years. Actually I guess the Mac was on the way out right after it was introduced by your way of thinking. It has been such a short run (26 yrs so far) and the slow death you are speaking of - do you count this in decades remaining or years?

I don't do drugs, so I'm sorry I can't share any with you.

Steve Jobs' outlook can change on the dime. Love an Apple product today; hate it tomorrow. Read the biographies.

When he announced the iPad, he said "Apple is now the largest mobile device company in the world." So that's what Apple, Inc. is now, not Apple Computer, Inc., maker of personal computers, but a mobile device company. I see now. Now everyone obey the command. I think Apple's "1984" ad should be redone with Steve Jobs' picture on the giant screen.

And Apple Chief Operating Officer recently said at a Goldman Sachs' annual tech conference that "Apple is now a mobile device company." Is there room for the Mac anywhere in there?

Steve believes the personal computer era is over, and he will take actions to hasten it. He's an impatient guy. The Mac will be gradually exsanguinated over time. Soon there will be no Macs. It just will be more gradual and "under-the-radar" than killing microfloppies and Adobe Flash.

There was no logical, defensible reason to kill the "Get a Mac" campaign. It was never stale. Though it adhered to the same formula, the subject matter and scenarios varied widely -- enough to hold everyone's interest ad infinitum. They were a hit with the public and are still a hit as they're being killed.

I'll tell you why Apple canceled the highly successful and industry praised "Get a Mac" campaign: Windows 7. Apple went spineless, because they had so much ammo when Vista was around, but as WSJ's Walt Mossberg wrote, between Mac OS X and Windows 7 "it's now more of a toss-up."

Apple went spineless after the launch of Windows 95 and felt they could no longer compete as they did on the deficiencies of previous versions of Windows as Windows had ripped off the last Mac feature left.

What Mac TV ad campaign will succeed "Get a Mac"? None.

There will be no more Mac TV ads or print ads, for that would run counter to Steve Jobs' efforts to kill the "outmoded" personal computer as we've always known it. It's time for the "post PC era to begin."

In the Apple Q2 2010 quarterly conference call, an Apple representative obliquely referred to a "Future product transition." My money is on a transition away from personal computers and to mobile devices. Now follow the command.

Also noted in the call was that "Not much was said about the Mac."

An article on Betanews talked about what it called a "Macolypse," where between November 2008 and April 2009, Mac year-over-year sales dropped sharply "even as Windows PCs dramatically gained."

The article attributes this to:

In September, Microsoft started its "I'm a PC" marketing campaign, which, according to the company and analysts, boosted Windows perceptions and PC sales over several months.

Apple took a four month break from airing "Get a Mac" commercials.

So does anyone doubt a relationship between the "Get a Mac" campaign and Mac sales?

Steve Jobs recently wrote in an email: "The times they are a changin, and some traditional PC folks feel like their world is slipping away. It is."

And it's no longer a secret that the Mac OS X team was "gutted" of key talent reassigned to iPhone OS. When asked in emails about this Mac OS X product management members aren't even diplomatic and don't do a lot to disguise their resentment.

If that isn't a tangible example that Apple is depleting resources devoted to the Mac and Mac OS X and reallocating them to iPhone OS, I don't know what is.

If you think you can affect the situation by buying or updating your Mac models more often, that will only anger Steve Jobs. He doesn't WANT them to sell well. He needs an alibi for killing the Mac.

Who out there is a betting man or woman?
post #45 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

I don't do drugs, so I'm sorry I can't share any with you.

Steve Jobs' outlook can change on the dime. Love an Apple product today; hate it tomorrow. Read the biographies.

When he announced the iPad, he said "Apple is now the largest mobile device company in the world." So that's what Apple, Inc. is now, not Apple Computer, Inc., maker of personal computers, but a mobile device company. I see now. Now everyone obey the command. I think Apple's "1984" ad should be redone with Steve Jobs' picture on the giant screen.

And Apple Chief Operating Officer recently said at a Goldman Sachs' annual tech conference that "Apple is now a mobile device company." Is there room for the Mac anywhere in there?

Steve believes the personal computer era is over, and he will take actions to hasten it. He's an impatient guy. The Mac will be gradually exsanguinated over time. Soon there will be no Macs. It just will be more gradual and "under-the-radar" than killing microfloppies and Adobe Flash.

There was no logical, defensible reason to kill the "Get a Mac" campaign. It was never stale. Though it adhered to the same formula, the subject matter and scenarios varied widely -- enough to hold everyone's interest ad infinitum. They were a hit with the public and are still a hit as they're being killed.

I'll tell you why Apple canceled the highly successful and industry praised "Get a Mac" campaign: Windows 7. Apple went spineless, because they had so much ammo when Vista was around, but as WSJ's Walt Mossberg wrote, between Mac OS X and Windows 7 "it's now more of a toss-up."

Apple went spineless after the launch of Windows 95 and felt they could no longer compete as they did on the deficiencies of previous versions of Windows as Windows had ripped off the last Mac feature left.

What Mac TV ad campaign will succeed "Get a Mac"? None.

There will be no more Mac TV ads or print ads, for that would run counter to Steve Jobs' efforts to kill the "outmoded" personal computer as we've always known it. It's time for the "post PC era to begin."

In the Apple Q2 2010 quarterly conference call, an Apple representative obliquely referred to a "Future product transition." My money is on a transition away from personal computers and to mobile devices. Now follow the command.

Also noted in the call was that "Not much was said about the Mac."

An article on Betanews talked about what it called a "Macolypse," where between November 2008 and April 2009, Mac year-over-year sales dropped sharply "even as Windows PCs dramatically gained."

The article attributes this to:

In September, Microsoft started its "I'm a PC" marketing campaign, which, according to the company and analysts, boosted Windows perceptions and PC sales over several months.

Apple took a four month break from airing "Get a Mac" commercials.

So does anyone doubt a relationship between the "Get a Mac" campaign and Mac sales?

Steve Jobs recently wrote in an email: "The times they are a changin, and some traditional PC folks feel like their world is slipping away. It is."

And it's no longer a secret that the Mac OS X team was "gutted" of key talent reassigned to iPhone OS. When asked in emails about this Mac OS X product management members aren't even diplomatic and don't do a lot to disguise their resentment.

If that isn't a tangible example that Apple is depleting resources devoted to the Mac and Mac OS X and reallocating them to iPhone OS, I don't know what is.

If you think you can affect the situation by buying or updating your Mac models more often, that will only anger Steve Jobs. He doesn't WANT them to sell well. He needs an alibi for killing the Mac.

Who out there is a betting man or woman?

I am betting you are wrong on most counts for at least 3 years. You can't truly believe or expect Apple to walk away from multi-millions in Mac unit sales.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #46 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Guys,

Let's not sound so funerial....and try to make it sound logical, but then it's only those folks' opinion, that is not base on anything the Apple said or did...

It's "funereal."

Refer to post #44 for specifics, not opinions. I did not come to the conclusion I did lightly or quickly, and oh how I wish I were wrong!

I don't WANT the Mac killed! Or even the Windows PC for that matter!

My observations are not my opinions. I reluctantly came to the conclusions I did after reading comments from COO Tim Cook, Steve Jobs and others.

I don't want it to be true.

I can't effectively use Adobe Creative Suite 5 on an iPad running iPhone OS, with a single processor with a single core and running at 1GHz with 64GB of Flash RAM for active RAM as well as storage. Apps can access a maximum of 256MB.

But it is a fact that Steve Jobs wants to kill the optical disk, Adobe Flash and the personal computer as we know it. Actually, I don't think he wants to kill the personal computer as much as he's concluded that "the personal computer era is over." He's convinced.

He's just impatient as he waits (for however long) for it to finally end. And to have his company properly poised, he's diverting resources away from personal computers and to mobile devices, so he'll be ahead of all other personal computer makers when then end happens and their R&D budgets are all screwed up.

I don't like this anymore than anyone else does.

email sjobs@apple.com and tell him that as a loyal customer who has forked over so much money to his company for so many years, you want Mac and Mac OS X development pursued as forcefully as ever. No more shortchanging the Mac in favor of mobile devices.

And advertise the Mac. I reluctantly believe the end of the "Get a Mac" campaign is not just the end of a campaign, but the end of Mac TV advertising.
post #47 of 158
it is a marketing decision on an old marketing practice, no, Mac will not die, simply, the half of the customers of iPhone, iPod and iPad are PC users and Apple decided that it is better to not bother them!
post #48 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I am betting you are wrong on most counts for at least 3 years. You can't truly believe or expect Apple to walk away from multi-millions in Mac unit sales.

So you agree that Jobs has declared "the personal computer era is over" but it may play out over a three year period? Then we don't disagree.

And I can ABSOLUTELY believe Apple will walk away from the Mac if Steve Jobs sabotages it, neglects it, poaches critical Mac talent for mobile devices, stops advertising or promoting the Mac, and then Mac sales decline to the point where Apple breaks-even or loses money on Macs. He'll have engineered a perfect argument to convince the Board of Directors and institutional investors and large shareholders to agree to discontinue the Mac.

Read a Steve Jobs biography and take notice of his well-documented habit of turning on his once "favorite" Apple products and plot their destruction. He even mistreats the product's product management teams. Many Apple personnel have left for that reason. The atmosphere becomes one of hostility, they no longer fell welcome at the company, and they leave.

email him at sjobs@apple.com and be an opposing force to his plan to foster the Mac withering on the vine.
post #49 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has ended its long-running and highly successful "Get a Mac" ad campaign, and this week the company finally pulled the series of commercials from its website.
"

And good riddance.

While the campaign was highly successful, it did lose its effectiveness over time; it went from getting people to actually switch, to something only the choir bothered to notice. When was the last time anyone in an Apple Store said one of those ads convinced them to try Apple?

That said, Apple didn't have to pull the ads from their site. The ads will be an important part of Apple's history. Check out http://www.info.apple.com/support/ol...twarelist.html ; there are still Apple II downloads available, so Apple can't tell us they need the room on their servers.
post #50 of 158
Apple is allying with Microsoft vs new evil, anyone?
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
post #51 of 158
I find it strange that after all this time they still use the desktop from windows XP when it comes to their point about booting windows. Where's the love for windows 7?
post #52 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

"windows 7 is apple's idea..."

Haha. That's exactly what I think every time one of those commercial airs.
post #53 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

"windows 7 is apple's idea..."

you took the words right outta my mouth.
post #54 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I haven't tried the Windows 7 OS yet. Since Apple uses the same suppliers and hardware as other manufacturers for the internal parts it really comes down to software quality. I didn't love the Apple Mac Book hardware. I loved the Leopard OS because it was so functional without too many bugs.

How wrong you are. Have you seen any Macintosh, laptop or desktop broken down to it's bare parts? Apple constructs much of the internals. Someone else, with better first hand knowledge then me, at this hour, could attest that Apple have a lot of control of the hardware AS the software.

When I use to work in sales for CompUSA (as the only dedicated Mac Guy) and then an Apple Sales Associate at an Apple Store, the often time winning argument in switching people (long before the Get a Mac ads) was that Apple controlled the hardware and the software so when something breaks down it was easy to diagnosis and fix. Much is still the case, despite an Intel processor as the CPU.
post #55 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtss33 View Post

OK, it seems that ONLY thing they have to sell about Win 7 is "Snap". How many commercials are there out there that show someone dragging one window to the left and one to the right? Does it do anything else?

I've not seen any ads, I'm not sure any MS ads have screened in NZ since the Madonna ones around XP's launch, and the I'm a Mac ones never did either, but seriously they advertise snap? It is by far the feature of 7 that I hate most, and thankfully it can be turned off! It's right up there with the Windows Explorer sidebar that is cluttered with many useless things that cannot be removed ... so in a way that is more annoying.

Anyway, on the topic, I'm reluctantly tending towards the Macs being slowly done away with camp. They've really just run out of things to advertise in the way those ads did. Maybe a new "I'm an iPad", "and I'm a Mac" series to really get the point across?

Edit: the immediately above is interesting. I didn't notice what was quoted there, but I'm pretty surprised that people are turned by the OS more so than by the hardware. Running Windows under boot camp on a Mac laptop is a much nicer experience than running it on any PC I've seen - no driver issues and you know there's the nice quality hardware built in and everything you need with it. It is often even more enjoyable than running OS X.
post #56 of 158
I think we're going to see a shift away from "Mac vs PC". I believe Apple's next ad strategy will focus on the whole "Apple experience" with iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac, Apple TV etc. not isolating the Mac as its most important product. If they sell an iPhone, it's just as important as if they're selling a Mac, or an iPad.
post #57 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

i think we're going to see a shift away from "mac vs pc". I believe apple's next ad strategy will focus on the whole "apple experience" with ipad, iphone, ipod, mac, apple tv etc. Not isolating the mac as its most important product. If they sell an iphone, it's just as important as if they're selling a mac, or an ipad.

...+1
post #58 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Apple is allying with Microsoft vs new evil, anyone?

I think there is room for MS and apple to work together to thwart google. Apple could make Bing the default search engine on all apple products (which isn't something to sneeze at -- it won't be long before apple is selling 100 million devices a year that would have a default search engine -- maybe 2011 or 2012) and MS could give Apple a leg up over google in Exchange and Office compatibility / interoperability. MS Office for Mac and iPad, but NOT for Chrome. Full Exchange support for Mac and iPhone/iPad, but NOT for Android/Chrome. Those are all things that would matter.
post #59 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

When the switch from PPC to Intel was made, Steve wasn't interested in killing the Mac at that time. It's since iPhone OS and the iPad that he now resents the Mac and will do everything he can to treat it with "death by a thousand cuts."

This is total, unadulterated, BS. Macs are an important part of Apple's revenue AND Apple's strategy.

The key to success of the iDevices was the ecosystem surrounding it. You need a computer to get the full benefit of that.

Then there's the army of graphics professionals using Macs. Why in the world would Apple walk away from an entrenched market making billions of dollars per year? To save a few tens of millions in R&D costs? The entire concept is absurd. Apple management must be laughing their heads off when uninformed trolls even suggest such a thing.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #60 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I am betting you are wrong on most counts for at least 3 years. You can't truly believe or expect Apple to walk away from multi-millions in Mac unit sales.

I'm not sure what the point of joining this argument is... From my perspective, the trolls have lost the "apple is doomed" angle so have instead begun what seems to be a concerted effort to create new memes.
One is the FUD "Apple is abandoning the Mac" panic. They start with some kernals of truth (mobile devices now account for tha majority of profits/ Computer removed from Apple Inc.) and try to twist that into some sort of illogical the "Mac is doomed" story. This makes no sense. Macs are still quite profitable AND they complement mobile devices--they do not compete with them! But notice, by even just trying to converse with this troll storyline politely, you threw in the "for at least three years" caviot--the rediculous meme wins!

Another meme I see all over the place in troll comments is limited appeal story. The ones that state over and over that the iPad is just for kids and old people/the iPhone is for women...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #61 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

Doesn't apple own the copyright for the commercials? So why would that have anything to do with it?

The ads have run their course. There's no real reason to keep them around anymore, in Apple's view. Even though disk space is cheap, bandwidth isn't. There's also the minor issue of the actors' residuals.

Ideally, Apple or their ad agency would donate these ads to Duke University to be archived in their Adviews program. But for now, at least we'll have YouTube.
post #62 of 158
I just went to the "why you'll love a Mac" pages and I think they are actually very good. Far more substantive than the tv ads ever could be.
post #63 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

It's "funereal."

A suggestion to all: gratuitous correcting of each others' grammar or spelling says more about you than the person being corrected. And what it says is not necessarily flattering. Focusing comments on the substance, not the form, of the argument elevates the level of discourse here. I admire and respect the rules of English as much as anyone, but this is a forum, not a literary magazine.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #64 of 158
It was a good campaign, and happening at the same time as the Vista troubles, really got some switching momentum going for the Mac. But I guess these things loose their magic if they're kept around too long.
post #65 of 158
Well... They seriously lacked validity anyway.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #66 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

Untrue: I typed it on a dual-chip, eight-core (total), 16 logical core 2.93GHz Mac Pro.

In my line of work as a creative pro, I will ALWAYS need the most powerful Mac model available, and if Steve deep-sixes the Mac, I will be left with no choice but to use a Windows PC (Ug!) which I've NEVER done in 22 years. (I'd rather chew glass.)

The Mac is undergoing a slow death at the hands of Steve Jobs, who loves the iPad and iPhone OS and resents the Mac. Look at his history; he'll suddenly turn on a product he once loved and treat it and its product management team like s***. This is typical behavior for the man. Read some books.

The Mac will eventually be killed. The process is already underway.

Your correct about the process but I don't think you will see Macs "killed", at least not in the short term...Maybe in five to ten years but not anytime soon. Apple was a computer company and is becoming a consumer electronics company, although slowly. The Mac will just be a market segment that Apple has in it's portfolio of products.
post #67 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

You watch.

Mark my words. It will be killed.

Not to repost everything you said, but in general, I agree.

Didn't Jobs once say that he wanted to "Milk the Macintosh for all of its worth until the next great thing comes?" I might have paraphrase a bit, but the point of his comments are true. OS X is that thing... Not many would be shocked to hear that Apple killed the OS X running AppleTV...

Even after going to Intel chips, Apple still takes their sweet old time updating their products to the latest and greatest chipsets. Sometimes their competition has product using newer Intel chips long before Apple releases. Not necessary a product category that screams we are 110% behind our desktop/notebook computers...

defenderjarvis time table is probably wrong, but it will happen. Apple is all about selling great products with a high profit margin... Not necessarily selling anyone one product (including Macs).

Once digital content is stored, distributed, and created in the cloud, then we can come back to revisit the issue...
post #68 of 158
they may come back....
but the new halo will be using iphone and ipad to draw to mac in general, apple TV
SJ is continuing the "mac universe", "mac environment", "mac community"

this will be the new mac attack
we have yet to see the growth of the mac/ apple cloud/ ATV
can't wait for the verizon iphone this will put downward pressure on plans, and data costs
which we are seeing in the prepaid arena, USA is at i think 90% saturation, growth comes from growing new markets AKA ipad, and shifting customers, eating up the smaller telecoms

i wonder if apple would ever go to its own telecom, then it would control more of the universe.

I think this could be a huge growth potential for them
iphone, ipad, cloud, iAd, apple search, apple tv becomes a smart TV with it built in or maybe a card so any TV becomes apple
maybe have the set top box AND smart TV.
why not???
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #69 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

they may come back....
but the new halo will be using iphone and ipad to draw to mac in general, apple TV
SJ is continuing the "mac universe", "mac environment", "mac community"

Could be. Apple invented stars and set about creating a universe for them. Google created a universe and is now creating stars to populate it.

Just another way of looking at it.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #70 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post

I wish they'd done one last ad to say goodbye to those great characters. I always thought it should end with the PC (John Hodgman) saying, "I'm a Mac"...

Justin Long: "No, you're a PC."
Hodgman: "No, I'm a Mac. I switched. Now I just need to get the nerve up to tell my parents."

and so on...

Brilliant.
post #71 of 158
Apple has never overtly used the snob appeal approach in its computer ads. It hasn't had to, because the opposition uses it regularly as a jab at Macs and Mac users.

It hasn't had to with iPods because there really isn't any competition--nothing worth comparing to anyway.

Now that the smartphone market is becoming so competitive, it might not be a bad idea to turn tables and embrace the snob appeal of the iPhone. Start branding Android phones as wannabes--as cheap imitations of the real thing--and users of such knock-offs as poseurs. Image is so important to many young people, and if they could get a groundswell of buzz over such a campaign it could cut into Android sales.

The beauty part is that with commodity items like phones you can have the real thing for a relatively small difference in price. Not like the difference between, say, Acura and a Bentley. Maybe you can't drive a rich guy's ride, but you CAN have his phone.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #72 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

A suggestion to all: gratuitous correcting of each others' grammar or spelling says more about you than the person being corrected. And what it says is not necessarily flattering. Focusing comments on the substance, not the form, of the argument elevates the level of discourse here. I admire and respect the rules of English as much as anyone, but this is a forum, not a literary magazine.

Touchy, touchy. "Methinks thou dost protest too much." The length of your response betrayed more than a little insecurity.

I make typos and misspellings, too. My aim was instructive, not to embarrass you. And funereal is a great choice of words.

But you assume that that was all I focused on and didn't give due consideration to your well-thought-through remarks in that post.

It's just that we simply don't see eye-to-eye on 100% of things.

A lot of posters who have basically "flamed" me in their replies, I believe, are engaged in some "Wishful Thinking."

Believe me, I'd love it if I was able to delude myself into thinking that Steve Jobs won't gradually drain the Apple personal computer well until he has a convincing and data-backed argument for the Board of Directors, large shareholders, institutional investors, The Street and large Apple personal computer customers (who buy Apple personal computers in the thousands, and Apple gives them careful "care and feeding") for discontinuing Apple's personal computer line.

I've read so much about Jobs that I have a handle on some of his less-positive habits, actions and beliefs.

It took me a loooooooong time to finally (and reluctantly) conclude that Steve Jobs will slowly, almost unnoticeably, drain Apple's personal computer line until a consensus exists that it should be discontinued from Apple's product lines.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time until it became impossible to do so any longer.

The evidence just kept adding up, and it would be foolish to ignore it, or plug your ears and whistle your favorite tune.

• This year, 2010, Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference which always gives out ADA awards (Apple Design Awards) in key categories, will have no categories for the Mac or OS X apps. All ADA awards will be given to iPhone OS apps only. Plus, the apps eligible will have to be Apple-approved and for sale on the App Store. (I don't remember ever seeing a Mac app on Apple's App Store.)

• The focus on Apple mobile devices, software and development tools will come at the expense of the Mac and its OS. If the Mac were on the "marquee," it would detract attention from Apple's intended focus on mobile devices running iPhone OS, and Apple doesn't want to do that. (Detain the Mac at the entrance because his ID badge looks faked.)

• At the iPad introduction keynote, Steve Jobs said, "Apple is now the largest mobile device company in the world." So that's what Apple is now. They changed their name from "Apple Computer, Inc." to "Apple, Inc." and is now a mobile device company.

• At a Goldman Sachs technology conference address, Apple's Chief Operating Officer, Tim Cook (you know, the guy who did such a stellar job running Apple during Steve Jobs' leave of absence) said, "Apple is a mobile device company now."

• Steve Jobs wrote in an email (that he probably didn't want spread all over the Internet) the following: "traditional PC folks feel like their world is slipping away. It is."

Does this tell you anything? Does it offer even a scintilla of support for what I'm saying?

• The most recent figures show that Apple is selling 200,000 iPads a week -- about twice as many Macs it sells per week. Further, Apple sells about 246,000 iPhone 3GS's a week. So Apple sells about 4 1/2 x as many iPads and iPhones as Macs -- oh, and then there's the iPod.

• Apple makes money on the sale of a Mac at the time the transaction takes place, and that's about the extent of it. Some Mac buyers do buy a few Apple-made Mac software apps. But long after the product purchase transaction, iPod owners send a steady stream of revenue to Apple as they buy songs, TV shows, movies, apps, games and other content off the iTunes Store.

Long after the product purchase transaction, iPhone owners send a steady stream of revenues to Apple in shared telephone plan fees with AT&T, apps from the App store, and media content on the iTunes Store. In similar fashion, iPod touch users send a steady stream of revenue to Apple. And now iPad owners send a continuous revenue stream to Apple as they buy apps on the App Store, music, video and other content from the iTunes Store, etc.

Unless a Mac buyer faithfully subscribes to MobileMe, buys every new milestone release of Mac OS X, every new release of iLife, iWork and maybe even a prosumer app like Final Cut Express, what steady, infinite revenue stream travels from the Mac to Apple's bank account after the point-of-purchase?

If there was a Mac App Store, there would be such a revenue stream, but that would necessarily involve Steve Jobs supporting the Mac! Heaven forbid!

• In Apple's just completed 2Q 2010 earnings call, someone from Apple (possibly Tim Cook or Peter Oppenheimer) obliquely referred to a "future product transition." But when pressed by analysts participating, this person wold not elaborate. I have my suspicions as to what that enigmatic "future product transition" will be.

• In the same article, the author noted, "Not much was said about the Mac."

• In previous Apple quarterly earnings conference calls, Apple participants have made it no secret that high-end Mac models and high-priced Apple Pro apps are disappointing in their sales.

One Apple rep said Apple's high-end (as described above) remains "economically challenging" for Apple. This has to displease them.

• Apple has laid off 40 people from its Final Cut Studio team, and has announced that the software will be repurposed from the creative pro market to the prosumer market.

• Mac sales break down into about 80% notebooks and 20% desktops. Which form do you think would be more likely to be killed?

• It is the worst kept secret that Apple "gutted" the Mac OS X team of key talent and reassigned them to iPhone OS. Email someone on the Mac OS X team; they aren't even diplomatic and cautious as they don't go out of their way in their responses to disguise implications of bitterness at the fact that their all-star team has been poached of its MVPs. They feel dissed. (Though they do exercise some caution in writing; Steve Jobs is always "sniffing" everyone's emails for signs of sedition.)

• The Mac OS X team is severely deficient right now. Don't expect 10.7 for another 2 to 2 1/2 years. You need brilliant, talented, breathing engineers with fingers on keyboards to create a new milestone release of OS X. Their chairs are empty now because they're over at the iPhone OS department.

• If this is evidence that an effort is underway to derail the Mac project, by one method, poaching its best talent, it is backed up by the fact that Apple has $40 billion of cash in the bank. They certainly have the means to attract and hire the best engineering talent in the world for the iPhone OS team. Poaching the Mac OS X team was not their only option -- though they acted like it was. It seems more oriented toward weakening the Mac project than simply putting key talent on iPhone OS.

• Lastly, I buy a new top-of-the-line tower Mac every time a new model is released (which has for years been every year). It's been a year-and-three-months and counting, and no new Mac Pro.

I had foolishly hoped a new Mac Pro would be unleashed at WWDC, but now, recognizing that Apple wants to do nothing to distract the focus from iPhone OS, mobile iDevices and the new iPhone HD, I won't see my next Mac Pro between June 7-11th like I'd hoped. That's IF Apple doesn't cease further development of the Mac Pro line, but continues to market existing models until demand dries up.

• The visionary Steve Jobs sees the personal computing era drawing to a close. If he's right, he should just let it happen naturally -- hands-off. But proactively undercutting Apple's personal computer offerings in an effort to hasten or catalyze the process is indefensible.

• If Apple one day decides to cease selling the Mac, they should at least license Mac OS X to any clone makers who want to take a crack at selling personal computers running Mac OS X.

Viva Mac!

P.S. To gain the best insight, read a biography of Steve Jobs, then you'll understand.

P.P.S. Feel free to correct any grammar or spelling mistakes. Learning is a lifelong process.

P.P.P.S. Don't be too disappointed when the "Get a Mac" TV ad campaign is not succeeded by another Mac TV ad campaign. There will be no Mac TV advertising.
post #73 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

It took me a loooooooong time to finally (and reluctantly) conclude that Steve Jobs will slowly, almost unnoticeably, drain Apple's personal computer line until a consensus exists that it should be discontinued from Apple's product lines.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time until it became impossible to do so any longer.

The evidence just kept adding up, and it would be foolish to ignore it, or plug your ears and whistle your favorite tune.

Since Apple is in business to earn profits then it makes sense that they focus on the most profitable products. In the land of TV often really good shows with OK ratings are cancelled because they cost too much to produce. One example I remember was "The Bionic Woman". Its viewership was growing but it was cancelled. I think the fact that the executive in charge of programming killed it and put a show in its place that he personally earned extra money from because he produced it was a big factor too.

If Apple kills PCs (Macs) then the iPad and other devices will need to function as stand alone devices. As it is the iPad needs to connect with a computer.

My prediction of the end of Apple notebook computers by 2012 makes sense to me. The demise of their desktop computers wasn't something I considered. If they truly can't earn a big enough profit with desktops then it makes sense to shift to other products. This would mean that Apple better find a way to have a prestige product. Without the cachet of the Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro lines Apple would seem to become just another phone/mp3 manufacturer. Leopard stands out in the software world more than the iPhone OS does. The iPhone isn't as awesome as it originally was now that competitors have much improved phones.

It would be cool if all the former OS X programmers got together and built a great Linux OS. Even if they charged a small fee for it I'd buy it if it were as good or better than Leopard.

I might be on my last Apple computer. The newest Ubuntu is closer to commercial grade quality and I'm still annoyed at Microsoft because of Vista. The iPad will be my next new computing device. If Apple would make a Linux compatible iTunes it would take a great swipe at Microsoft which I think would be a great blow to them. I'm still hopeful that one day I won't need any MS OS to do work.
post #74 of 158
It doesn't make sense that Apple would wait until now, when the Mac is finally starting to be a popular platform, and really growing, to kill it.

That's like raising a purebred kitten to be a show-winner, only to kill her right as she starts winning best in shows!

Macs continue to improve, become more powerful, and are now starting to get a gaming focus with Steam being ported to them. I have heard that Apple is fixing a lot of issues in its OpenGL drivers due to more games coming to the platform.

The Mac has a good future as a successful platform. Why kill it now? This is what Apple has been wanting for years and now it's finally happening.

Viva Mac.
post #75 of 158
This whole, "Apple will dump the Mac and make everything iPhone OS," and its variations, such as, "all laptops will become iPhone OS," meme is such ridiculous nonsense. Apple isn't going to dump profitable business lines, that will only become more profitable in coming years, to push just iPhone OS based devices. They didn't invest the effort on Snow Leopard and all the technologies in it just so they could dump it in a couple years. Snow Leopard was a new foundation for Mac OS that will be built on for many years to come, until they build a new, more advanced foundation that they will build on for many years after that.

A lot of this is simply FUD, or people repeating FUD, with the unspoken message of, "Better not buy a Mac, Apple's going to turn it into a giant iPad in a few years and then you won't have a 'real' computer." Some of it is just from people who have no real understanding of what iPhone OS and Mac OS are, how they differ from each other, how they are similar, and how they compliment each other. And some of it is from people who think all touch all the time is the future of computing. This last group is actually a subgroup of the second group.

Mac OS isn't going away because iPhone OS doesn't do, and isn't designed to do, what Mac OS does. Touch, which is just a layer on top of iPhone OS, and could easily become a layer on Mac OS, probably is not going everywhere any time soon, because it's just not appropriate for most workstation uses, especially in regard to ergonomics. (Yes, it would be useful for certain special purpose applications, but I don't think Apple will see this a sufficient reason to implement it across the board.)

So, if you fall into the group spreading FUD (which includes Smallwheels and defenderjarvis), I'm sure you'll keep it up, but you'll just end up looking stupid when your "predictions" don't come to pass, which they won't. If you fall into the second group, a few minutes consideration, and a bit more education, on Mac OS and iPhone OS should make you realize that this isn't actually a realistic, or even, from Apple's perspective, useful scenario. If you fall into the third group, no, all touch all the time is not the future of all computing.
post #76 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This whole, "Apple will dump the Mac and make everything iPhone OS," and its variations, such as, "all laptops will become iPhone OS," meme is such ridiculous nonsense. Apple isn't going to dump profitable business lines, that will only become more profitable in coming years, to push just iPhone OS based devices. They didn't invest the effort on Snow Leopard and all the technologies in it just so they could dump it in a couple years. Snow Leopard was a new foundation for Mac OS that will be built on for many years to come, until they build a new, more advanced foundation that they will build on for many years after that.

A lot of this is simply FUD, or people repeating FUD, with the unspoken message of, "Better not buy a Mac, Apple's going to turn it into a giant iPad in a few years and then you won't have a 'real' computer." Some of it is just from people who have no real understanding of what iPhone OS and Mac OS are, how they differ from each other, how they are similar, and how they compliment each other. And some of it is from people who think all touch all the time is the future of computing. This last group is actually a subgroup of the second group.

Mac OS isn't going away because iPhone OS doesn't do, and isn't designed to do, what Mac OS does. Touch, which is just a layer on top of iPhone OS, and could easily become a layer on Mac OS, probably is not going everywhere any time soon, because it's just not appropriate for most workstation uses, especially in regard to ergonomics. (Yes, it would be useful for certain special purpose applications, but I don't think Apple will see this a sufficient reason to implement it across the board.)

So, if you fall into the group spreading or unwittingly repeating FUD, I'm sure you'll keep it up, but you'll just end up looking stupid when your "predictions" don't come to pass, which they won't. If you fall into the second group, a few minutes consideration, and a bit more education, on Mac OS and iPhone OS should make you realize that this isn't actually a realistic, or even, from Apple's perspective, useful scenario. If you fall into the third group, no, all touch all the time is not the future of all computing.

You don't know Steve Jobs.
post #77 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

You don't know Steve Jobs.

You don't know jack.
post #78 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You don't know jack.

We'll see.
post #79 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

We'll see.

Yes, we will.
post #80 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, we will.

Yes, we will indeed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple removes 'Get a Mac' ads from site, finalizing end of campaign