or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T to increase iPhone contract early termination fee to $325

AT&T to increase iPhone contract early termination fee to $325 - Page 4

post #121 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

That's right, the Skype CEO was whining in December how Apple and AT&T were being unfair by not allowing the 3G version that he stated they'd had ready for months, to be released.

This was in a speech detailing a string of failures to deliver eg Blackberry, Symbian S60v5 etc, the one success (iPhone OS over 3G) he proudly proclaimed was held back through no fault of Skype.

That restriction was relaxed in February and here we are months later and still no Skype for 3G on iPhone's despite Fring being ready to roll on the first day.

Seems to be a common practice in the tech industry: blame Apple for one's own shortcomings.
post #122 of 137
AT&T really does NOT appreciate their customers. Raising the ETF is just another way of saying that. AT&T should be giving their customers great service and then they wouldn't have to worry about people leaving.

It's the old story AT&T was going down hill then came the IPHONE. AT&T struck a great deal (for APPLE) and got exclusivity. And even with a GREAT PHONE, Millions of new customers, and the ability to provide the service they are ready to start the slide downhill again. Face it AT&T just is a lost cause.
post #123 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Steve Jobs can never be forgiven for making us use the INCOMPETENT and HORRIBLE provider ATT.

Almost never any strong 3G signal inside a building.

First of all, no service works well inside buildings unless that building has repeaters. That is totally up to the company occupying that space so quit blasting AT&T for a technology you don't understand.

Second, in the buildings I've been in that are devoid of repeaters all together My AT&T service has always been stronger than my wife's Verizon. Not saying that is a good test, it may just be her phone is so much crappier than mine. If I turn off 3G then yes it's horrible but with 3G on I get great service!

Spewing hate doesn't accomplish anything except to show one's ignorance.
post #124 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Comments like this are pretty stupid.

You really should learn to read and process information better. Many posts above have pointed out the rationale for this, and the per-month reduction that you get.

What is it about a 'contract' that you sign on to that you don't get?

Wow. I mean, just WOW.

Just to let you know, I DID report your comment. You think an opinionated statement like "fuck AT&T" is enough for you to insult my intelligence and reading comprehension?

Many posts above mine made EXCUSES for companies like AT&T ripping people off, and if you think I'M the one with an outside opinion, you're wrong.

Seriously, you need to relax man. People around here think it's OK to be as rude as possible over the littlest thing. It's getting REALLY old, and I'll use that little [!] button without a second thought.
post #125 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

READ the article again S-L-O-W-L-Y and don't ASSuME anything. I doubt you could cancel because according to the article, the new TOS applies to new sales not existing contracts.

Upgrades become new contracts.
post #126 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

So does AT&T.

I know this. I was responding to DaveGee's "2." comment where he says he doesn't know if Verizon prorates their ETFs.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #127 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I'll use that little [!] button without a second thought.

Well, you should give it a second thought. That little button isn't for reporting posts that don't agree with you. Admittedly anantksundaram got close to the line, but he certainly didn't cross it.

If you can't cope with people misinterpreting you, you shouldn't make two-word posts. If you can't cope with people disagreeing with you, I suggest you don't post your opinions in a public forum.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #128 of 137
threads are not the place to argue with moderators about their moderating decisions.

See posting guideline 3
post #129 of 137
This is why it's unlikely apple will make a verizon iPhone:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Smart_phones...es&nodeId=6452
post #130 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

If the ETFs are required for the company to recoup subsidy costs of your phone, then why does the cost of your contract not decrease after two years?

I think what you mean to ask is Why does the cost of ETF not decrease toward the end of the two years? If you have a 2 year contract, and you cancel on month 25, you won't get the fine. 'E' stands for early.

I remember regulators directing very pointed questions to Sprint (I think it was, maybe Verizon) about that exact point. Everybody loved to publish that they got asked the question. I don't think I ever saw anyone publish the carrier's answer.
post #131 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Rogers did the same thing in Canada last year by doubling their ECF fees ($400 ECF for voice and $200 for data). A couple months later Apple announced Bell and Telus got the iPhone (and then Virgin). Likely Rogers got a heads up from Apple and decided more expensive termination fees would help prevent a flood to bell. AT&T has got to be just as concerned. Rogers was in an even worse spot though, since customers that unlocked the iPhones could just move over to the new carriers (I think) whereas AT&T customers would have to buy a new Verizon phone. The increase fee just makes it even more expensive to switch.

Rogers DECF is a maximum $100.00 + taxes. A combined voice and data plan is a maximum $500.00 + taxes. You're confusing Rogers with Bell who charges $200.00 + taxes for DECF on their data attached plans.
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
post #132 of 137
I've never understood the reason for Americans to complain about their ETF with carriers such as AT&T. After all compared to what we pay in Canada I'd say Americans are actually lucky to have carriers not charge more. Our neighbours to the South really need to get a grip on reality

Perspective:
iPhone 3GS 32 GB full price no term = $799.00 CDN + taxes (Not currently an option in the USA to buy on no term).
iPhone 3GS 32 GB on term = $299.00 CDN + taxes or $299.00 USD + taxes.

USA (Smartphones on Voice and Data plan requires 24 month term):

Verizon ETF = maximum $350.00 + taxes.

AT&T ETF = maximum $325.00 + taxes.

Canada (Smartphones on Voice and Data plan requires 36 month term):

Rogers ECF (Early Cancellation Fee) = Voice plan minimum $100.00, $20.00/month to a maximum $400.00 + taxes. DECF (Data Early Cancellation Fee) minimum $25.00, $5.00/month to a maximum $100.00 + taxes = a total combined $500.00 + taxes.

Bell ECF (Early Cancellation Fee) = Voice plan minimum $100.00, $20.00/month to a maximum $400.00 + taxes. DECF (Data Early Cancellation Fee) minimum $25.00, $5.00/month to a maximum $200.00 + taxes = a total combined $600.00 + taxes.

Telus ECF = Voice plan minimum $100.00, $20.00/month to a maximum $720.00 + taxes. DECF minimum $25.00, $5.00/month to a maximum $100.00 + taxes = a total combined $820.00 + taxes.
post #133 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

Seems to be a common practice in the tech industry: blame Apple for one's own shortcomings.

Except that at the time, Apple prohibited Skype from running on 3G. For months after AT&T publicly stated that VOIP over 3G was allowed on their network, Apple still banned any apps from enabling this functionality. From Skypes point of view, on nonoptimized 3G version would have been a simple matter of removing the cripple check that Apple mandated and allow it to use the 3G connection for VOIP.

It is entirely possible that in the months between AT&T allowing VOIP and Apple allowing it that Skype's business priorities changed and they decided to focus on another platform and/or network...perhaps even exclusively. They didn't blame Apple for anything that Apple didn't openly accept 'blame' for. Apple banned these apps from using 3G...what were they supposed to do, release a 3G version on Cyndia or Rock?

It is funny that some people want so desperately not to 'blame' Apple for something that they will blame other companies for limitations that are enforced by Apple, but cannot allow themselves to realize simple facts like Apple banning something from the App Store means it was Apple that banned it from the App Store.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #134 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Wow. I mean, just WOW.

Just to let you know, I DID report your comment. You think an opinionated statement like "fuck AT&T" is enough for you to insult my intelligence and reading comprehension?

So the extent of your post was 'Fuck AT&T" while he gave specific reasons why your post was misguided - yet you think HE should be banned?

You're awfully confused about rational discourse.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #135 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I think what you mean to ask is “Why does the cost of ETF not decrease toward the end of the two years?“ If you have a 2 year contract, and you cancel on month 25, you won't get the fine. 'E' stands for early.

I remember regulators directing very pointed questions to Sprint (I think it was, maybe Verizon) about that exact point. Everybody loved to publish that they got asked the question. I don't think I ever saw anyone publish the carrier's answer.

In many cases the ETF does decrease over time. I had one pro-rated on Verizon. If you're within 3-4 months, they often give you a break. You can sometimes also twist their arms if you've been a long time customer. I told them I had been a customer for 7 years, and I really didn't want to hear about a full ETF. Surprisingly, they seemed sympathetic to this argument.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #136 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So the extent of your post was 'Fuck AT&T" while he gave specific reasons why your post was misguided - yet you think HE should be banned?

You're awfully confused about rational discourse.

Banned? No. Do the insults need to go? Hell yes. What's the point? I had an opinion different from his, so naturally I must be stupid, and my reading comprehension must need work? Good grief.

Oh but since I used a big boy word, I'M the jerk here. It's not even a comment that stood alone either. As some pointed out, many others feel the same way.

If I had said screw Microsoft, and someone replied the same way, tell me it wouldn't have been taken as an insult.

I say screw AT&T. It's my opinion, it's based on more than enough rational reasoning, and it's a shared opinion at that. I didn't need to have my intelligence attacked for it, and that's the kind of crap I see around here that I personally would like to see gone(and yes, that's why I reported the comment. Not because he had a different opinion as Mr. H said.)
post #137 of 137
Have a nice day, ya 3gsees

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T to increase iPhone contract early termination fee to $325