or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › AudoCAD appears headed back to the Mac

AudoCAD appears headed back to the Mac

post #1 of 87
After an 18 year hiatus, AutoCAD appears to be headed back to the Mac platform, according to screen shots of a new beta posted on an Italian Mac forum.

The screen shots, appearing on Italiamac depict the installation screens and interface for an upcoming Autodesk AutoCAD 64-bit early beta release for Mac OS X called "Sledgehammer."

The last time Autodesk's AutoCAD drafting software was made available for the Mac was in 1992, with Release 12. The current 2011 version, available only for Windows, is designated Release 25.

Earlier this spring, the French Mac site Hardmac reported references to Mac OS X in Autodesk's ObjectARX SDK (The Object AutoCAD Runtime Extension is an extension mechanism for customizing the application) and offered a confirmation of previous rumors that a private beta release of AutoCAD for the Mac was being prepared.

post #2 of 87
Good bye BootCamp partition !!!!

Christmas comes early, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a quick release !
post #3 of 87
"AudoCAD appears headed back to the Mac"

What the heck is AudoCAD?
post #4 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Good bye BootCamp partition !!!!

Christmas comes early, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a quick release !

Amen to that!

The only real reason I keep Windows alive. I've nearly gotten the wife converted....the first and second generation MBP didn't do it, but she loves the new i7 15". Even if she won't admit it
If I get her one, and AutoCAD finally gets to OS X, I will be able to abandon Windows at home. Yay!
post #5 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by agl82 View Post

LMFAO
That's a heck of a mistake...

No once-throughs on these articles, AI?
post #6 of 87
Yay! I won't have to learn Vectorworks!
post #7 of 87
It's about time for this very welcome addition to the Mac OS canon. Bravo.
post #8 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Yay! I won't have to learn Vectorworks!

My Boss will be SO happy! He hates Vectorworks, and he wants to avoid putting too much Windows stuff on his mac...

(We're all PCs in the office, he's the only one with a Mac. We all use AutoCAD)
post #9 of 87
oh sweet awesome, yay!
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #10 of 87
This is the only reason I run VMWare. I hope for sooner than later and then no morevirtual machine junk!
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #11 of 87
I'm excited!

That was my biggest fear in going into Arch was having to run on windows...
post #12 of 87
F. I. N. A. L. L. Y.

Thank you, very very very Much !
post #13 of 87
I also pray it is not as buggy as r12 was on the Mac back then.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #14 of 87
Yay! Mac using engineers rejoyce!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #15 of 87
HOLY SHIT i'm so learning AutoCAD again! Going back to my old career choice with this set of good news
post #16 of 87
Hopefully SolidWorks comes to the mac then I will be able to abandon windows too.
post #17 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by agl82 View Post

from hundreds of article written and covered, once in awhile AI also make a mistake..

Btw regarding to the rumor itself, I'm glad to see AudoCAD really is going to Mac platform *again*.. The last time I used one was AudoCAD 4 on PC..!
post #18 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiChriS View Post

HOLY SHIT i'm so learning AutoCAD again! Going back to my old career choice with this set of good news

what was your old career..?? Don't tell me you were an architect..
so what do you do now (with your Mac)..?
post #19 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejamrock View Post

Hopefully SolidWorks comes to the mac then I will be able to abandon windows too.

so right now you haven't leave Windows completely..? You cheater you.. \
so in short; Windows for painful work and Mac for fun life..?
post #20 of 87
Its an unfortunate reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

so right now you haven't leave Windows completely..? You cheater you.. \
so in short; Windows for painful work and Mac for fun life..?
post #21 of 87
Too bad Apple and Adobe are in the midst of a spat. Now would be great time to return FrameMaker to the Mac. It's only been gone one-third as long as AutoCad and there's a still-in-production Unix version that might provide a foundation for an OS X version.
post #22 of 87
Is Google's SketchUp much of a competitor to AutoCAD? I'm just wondering why AutoCAD would come out for the Mac after all this time.

http://sketchup.google.com/
post #23 of 87
Absolutely insane that they haven't been developing for the Mac all this time... but nice to see it finally.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Is Google's SketchUp much of a competitor to AutoCAD? I'm just wondering why AutoCAD would come out for the Mac after all this time.

Sorry man but comparing SketchUp to AutoCAD is like comparing the moon to the sun. They don't even come close.

SketchUp is great for simple CAD work and for anyone needing basic CAD it's a good step but AutoCAD is just infinitely superior.
post #25 of 87
YES!!!!!!

FINALLY!!!!

Now what about CATIA V5?
post #26 of 87
This is good news indeed. Let's just hope they include everything such as scripting and customization! Then the last win workstations will be used fore some kind of tossing competition!
post #27 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

This is good news indeed. Let's just hope they include everything such as scripting and customization! Then the last win workstations will be used fore some kind of tossing competition!

And let's not forget LISP.
post #28 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

They are not even in the same category. Google Sketch is 3D modeling software and AutoCAD is drafting software as well as BIM software.
post #29 of 87
what about Autodesk inventor*? I hope it follows suite.

*Autodesk inventor is from the same company as Autocad.
post #30 of 87
You should never look for a reason to give her one...
post #31 of 87
Autodesk are up themselves, it's about time they pulled their head out of their asses and get in touch with the real world.
Bunch of morons.
Now make sure you RE-WRITE the Autocad interface and get rid of the clunky PC crap that you've got away with for the last decade.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #32 of 87
Awesome news. I know lots who have been holding out because of AutoCAD.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #33 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Sorry man but comparing SketchUp to AutoCAD is like comparing the moon to the sun. They don't even come close.

SketchUp is great for simple CAD work and for anyone needing basic CAD it's a good step but AutoCAD is just infinitely superior.

Perhaps a candle to the sun. Nothing has effectively challenged autocad ever, doesn't mean it's awesome, it's just everything.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #34 of 87
This makes me very very happy. Now the only thing keeping me from leaving Windows is SolidWorks. I would love to see that happen.
post #35 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

And let's not forget LISP.

Oh Thisp I remember coding in thisp
post #36 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

LMFAO
That's a heck of a mistake...

No once-throughs on these articles, AI?

No, they harvest the collective intelligence of the readers to edit them.

It's cheaper and more effective --provided that the initial product is good enough to merit attention from a lot of readers.
post #37 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Autodesk are up themselves, it's about time they pulled their head out of their asses and get in touch with the real world.
Bunch of morons.
Now make sure you RE-WRITE the Autocad interface and get rid of the clunky PC crap that you've got away with for the last decade.

Yes, "bunch of morons" that just happened to produce a product that defined a market --and that you seem to want on your Mac.
post #38 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yes, "bunch of morons" that just happened to produce a product that defined a market --and that you seem to want on your Mac.

Yes that's for sure, but so did MS. They are a bunch of morons for the most part by all indications.

Anyway, these are Great News, one of the few things missing from the platform, one that's been perpetually in limbo and you 'd thought it would never happen. But they better get off their asses and hurry it though. And yes, put a decent interface to the damn thing too.
post #39 of 87
I thought AutoCAD was based on OpenGL, so why didn't they do this years before?
post #40 of 87
I am not in that industry, but I think the more industrial strength apps the platform has the better. As devices like the iPad take over more basic things like email and web browsing, it will be the big apps that keep people buying traditional desktop computers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › AudoCAD appears headed back to the Mac