or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia hopes to take on Apple in the US with new Yahoo partnership

Nokia hopes to take on Apple in the US with new Yahoo partnership - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It just seems to me that Steve really has no peers amongst CEO's of any of the competing companies. What the hell is Yahoo going to lend Nokia to help them compete with Apple? Doesn't anyone get it? Apple has a whole ecosystem built around the iPhone which has resulted in its bottom line desirability. Do these other companies seriously expect to outdo Apple with anything not as comprehensive, much less better than what Apple has?

Sure countless mindless drones have been led down into the Windoze abyss, and perhaps someone will create a competing smartphone abyss for those same hordes to get further mired into. But on the other hand, a phone purchase is not like a computer purchase. It would seem like not nearly as many would be forced into buying a particular phone as might have been forced into buying a Windoze computer.

I have to agree, most of these CEO have no clue all they are trying to do is manage a money stream and once it threaten they run around and do mergers and alliances to prop up the money stream again. If any of them had an original idea it would truly be amazing.

oh wait my iphone works with my computer, oh wait my iphone works with my stereo systems, oh wait my iphone works with my car, oh wait, my iphone works with..... Now explain why I would get rid of it or my ipods for something that barely works and does not work with all my other stuff.

They are not gong to beat Jobs at his own game, he has a strategy which he is still delivering on and I can tell you the next target is the cable business, once they figure out how to deliver people video content the way it easy to use and make sense the cable companies will fall next, the will be relegated to just providing you a wire to the internet.

Think about how many companies Apple have affective with all their technologies, usually on company affects another competitor, in this case apple has effected mp3 player manufactures, they affected the music industry, they affected Dell, they affected Microsoft, now they will affect Amazon and the print industry and the list goes on.
post #42 of 61
Nothing good can come from this partnership, it just smells all kinds of desperation, I can bet you one months income from my job on this.
post #43 of 61
You'd think the answer is to create compelling, user-friendly devices backed by a strong software ecosystem.

That's the answer, alright. Except we've seen that it isn't so easy to pull off for some reason.

It all comes down to attitude and the decision to take risks. Nokia seems to have issues in both departments.
post #44 of 61
good luck with that. :-)
post #45 of 61
Two increasingly irrelevant companies

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

Typical of both Nokia and Yahoo, two dying giants. You guys may think you've reached some transcendental corporate synergy, but this isn't a case of 1+1=3, it's more like 0+0 still = 0.

Nokia still does not get software, and they still do not get services.

I would agree with you totally about Nokia but with Yahoo, you have to look at the parts, not the whole. Yahoo mail is usually the 1st or 2nd highest trafficked web based email site and their IM use is around the same also, at least in the U.S. and many places around the world.

http://www.email-marketing-reports.c...statistics.htm

Although I believe Gmail has double the email use though...
post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Yahoo becoming the exclusive provider of Mail and Chat on the OVI platform?

I might be reading this wrong, but it seems to imply that rival Email and IM services will not be offered on the OVI platform.

This means Nokia buyers will not get access to Gmail...
..or AIM ... or MSN or Skype..
How about Facebook Messenger?

They say Apple is trying to lock-down users. But this takes the biscuit. This takes a big truckload of biscuits.

C.

Maybe they continue to do this the same way they have always done it, by installing an app to gain this functionality? They haven't said anything about banning third party apps.
post #48 of 61
Yes, Nokia has not doing well in US, but quite good all around the planet. To answer a appleinsider user "Nokia supports flash, for quite some time!" Symbian is a great OS, and I won't change it for an iPhone, I have such good features like, phone cell location to display notes, easy share to facebook, twitter, etc, with just one button, FREE World maps, with voice guidance and traffic info, voice recognition, and I can install what ever I want. Nokia it is Not a dying company, to say least, Nokia is going to have a huge word to say in the US market! About Yahoo, I am not a fan either, but they are quite successful in China, where population is more than 1 000 000 000, and they produce almost everything for everyone, so, saying these two companies aren's important is a very ignorant remark!
post #49 of 61
Quote:
In hopes of increasing its smartphone presence in the U.S., Nokia on Monday announced a new "strategic alliance" with Yahoo, with the search company powering e-mail and instant messaging services for the Ovi platform.

post #50 of 61
How good can it be for a smartphone platform to tie itself exclusively to one EMAIL provider?? That's ridiculous.....
post #51 of 61
Brilliant - lets team up with the weakest player in their space so we can take on the best and strongest in a market where we have virtually no penetration. Clowns all!
post #52 of 61
Nokia still don't get it.

Two wrongs don't make a right!!
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Maybe they continue to do this the same way they have always done it, by installing an app to gain this functionality? They haven't said anything about banning third party apps.

They said that Yahoo's IM and mail would be exclusive on the OVI platform.
That presumably means banning rival products from the Ovi store.

I suspect customers will be able to get around this. But this move does not seem compatible with giving more choice.

C.
post #54 of 61
Quote:

They said that Yahoo's IM and mail would be exclusive on the OVI platform.
That presumably means banning rival products from the Ovi store.

C.

No, what they said in the article was

Quote:
The deal will make Nokia the exclusive global provider of Yahoo maps and navigations services, while Yahoo will become the exclusive provider for Mail and Chat services in Nokia's Ovi platform.

And what was listed in the Nokia press release was

http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1418261

Quote:
As part of the alliance:
- Nokia will be the exclusive, global provider of Yahoo!'s maps and navigation services, integrating Ovi Maps across Yahoo! properties, branded as "powered by Ovi."
- Yahoo! will become the exclusive, global provider of Nokia's Ovi Mail and Ovi Chat services branded as "Ovi Mail / Ovi Chat powered by Yahoo!"

Both of which read very easily, and I can't see how you could get your statement from these two quotes. And if you are still having trouble working out, Yahoo will be the branded solutions, others won't be branded OVI.

Quote:

I suspect customers will be able to get around this. But this move does not seem compatible with giving more choice.

Well even though your original statement was very wrong, I will answer this anyway, since you aren't forced to get applications from the Ovi Store, then there is no issue obtaining other solutions is there
post #55 of 61
I'm going to post a link on my Geocities site...

...oh, hang on.

Maybe Nokia should partner with Excite next.

Ovi mail is garbage it just won't work on my iPhone, it's as if Nokia is blocking it or something.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No, what they said in the article was

You must be right.
To exclude Gmail and IM services from the OVI store would be insane. (even for Nokia)

C.
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

How good can it be for a smartphone platform to tie itself exclusively to one EMAIL provider?? That's ridiculous.....

How good can it be for a smartphone platform to tie itself exclusively to one browser? THAT'S ridiculous!
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Two increasingly irrelevant companies

Nokia sells more cellphoones than anybody.
post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Yes, Nokia has not doing well in US, but quite good all around the planet. To answer a appleinsider user "Nokia supports flash, for quite some time!" Symbian is a great OS, and I won't change it for an iPhone, I have such good features like, phone cell location to display notes, easy share to facebook, twitter, etc, with just one button, FREE World maps, with voice guidance and traffic info, voice recognition, and I can install what ever I want. Nokia it is Not a dying company, to say least, Nokia is going to have a huge word to say in the US market! About Yahoo, I am not a fan either, but they are quite successful in China, where population is more than 1 000 000 000, and they produce almost everything for everyone, so, saying these two companies aren's important is a very ignorant remark!

Yep. Nokia is huge. And they make excellent products.
post #60 of 61
Regardless of whether they can take on Apple or not, this deal makes good sense for Nokia and Yahoo. Nokia is terribly behind in the software game. And without hardware partners (like Google with Android), Yahoo is getting pushed out of the mobile space. It makes sense for them to hook-up.

Now whether this partnership can successfully take on the iPhone/Apple ecosystem or the Android platform is another matter altogether. Though, I do think they'll do alright outside the USA.
post #61 of 61
This partnership is simply a marketing/branding move. Yahoo was already using maps from Navteq (Nokia unit), and Nokia wants to get its Ovi branding on as many properties as possible. Nokia would like to offer its cellphone owners more options for mail and instant messaging, and Yahoo wants to have its mail and instant messaging be the default choice on as many hardware platforms as possible. Yahoo mail is recognized by most to be at or near the top, and Nokia would like its Ovi branded mail to have that reputation.

So it's a win-win for everyone involved but I don't think Yahoo or Nokia expect this to increase their market share by much.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia hopes to take on Apple in the US with new Yahoo partnership