or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Mosque planned for ground zero.

Mosque planned for ground zero. - Page 8

Poll Results: Are you in favor of a new mosque near ground zero?

• 54% (20)
    Yes.
  • 45% (17)
    No.
37 Total Votes  
post #281 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Obama, however, is expanding upon Bush's failures.

Exponentially of course...
post #282 of 447
Another wonderful piece about how batshit insane the opponents to the "several blocks away and out of line of sight from ground zero mosque" are.

Quote:
“Shame on you,” the Rev. Richard Cizik, a leading evangelical Christian, said to those castigating Islam. “You bring dishonor to the name of Jesus Christ. You directly disobey his commandment to love your neighbor."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/op...rssnyt&emc=rss

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #283 of 447
Quote:

While I am against this Qur'an burning, I believe illegally invading and occupying nations that happen to be predominantly Muslim and killing civilians there has unnecessarily put our troops in harm's way to a much greater degree.
Of course, Obama was against the wars before he was for them, so that makes it all better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Obama was against the wars before he inherited them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

And expanded one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

But if he unilaterally withdrew without a victory, he'd be a defeatist liberal commie peace-nick. So, basically a lose/lose situation for Obama. Which would you have preferred him to do, since you're against the expansion, right?

Bush broke it, Obama's (and probably the next administration if he doesn't get re-elected, the way things are going) left with the bill.

Quote:

The current economic woes we are seeing now were decades in the making. Bush certainly added to the problem, but you can't pin the blame solely on him or Obama.

Obama, however, is expanding upon Bush's failures.

But the issue is whether the Park 51 Cultural Center/Mosque should be built!

Imam says New York mosque site is not 'hallowed ground'

Quote:
"It's absolutely disingenuous, as many have said, that that block is hallowed ground," Rauf said, noting the nearby exotic dance and betting businesses. "So let's clarify that misperception."

Also Monday, author Salman Rushdie, whose 1988 satire, The Satanic Verses, led some Muslims to call for his death, said he believes that the mosque should be allowed.

Rushdie told The Associated Press in an interview that First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and religion should be honored. He added that he is "not personally" a lover of mosques or any place of worship.

Quote:
"The Satanic Verses" author is not a great fan of organized worship but believes an Islamic center and mosque should be permitted two blocks from ground zero. Rushdie's satirical novel led in the 1980s to worldwide riots by Muslims and calls for his death. He said .... that he understands the "sensitivities" of building the site close to where thousands were killed during on Sept. 11, 2001. But he says First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and religion should be honored. He adds that he is "not personally" a lover of mosques or any place of worship.

It is in the best long term interest that the Park 51 Islamic Cultural Center/Mosque be built without further delay. Further delay or moving the intended site will serve the interest of the extremist--both Christian and Muslim.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #284 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Another wonderful piece about how batshit insane the opponents to the "several blocks away and out of line of sight from ground zero mosque" are.

My God...I never thought in a million years I would see this happen. Conservatives have descended so much that they make BUSH look reasonable and tolerant:

From your link:

Quote:
It would have been natural for this test to have come right after 9/11, but it was forestalled because President George W. Bush pushed back at his conservative ranks and repeatedly warned Americans not to confuse Al Qaeda with Islam.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #285 of 447
Sad state of affairs when that happens.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #286 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Quote:
Shame on you, the Rev. Richard Cizik, a leading evangelical Christian, said to those castigating Islam. You bring dishonor to the name of Jesus Christ. You directly disobey his commandment to love your neighbor."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/op...rssnyt&emc=rss

But you are aware of the GROUND ZERO MOSQUE EXCLUSION ZONE aren't you \

and this

post #287 of 447
I'm wondering about the reasoning that says it isn't okay to put a Walmart in New York and this is sane reasoning, but those who don't want a Mosque in a certain place are insane.

If we want to go back to the principle of people being able to do what they want with their property, that is fine but when you have to get community input in what you can do on your property, the community isn't always going to do what you want.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #288 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm wondering about the reasoning that says it isn't okay to put a Walmart in New York and this is sane reasoning, but those who don't want a Mosque in a certain place are insane.

If we want to go back to the principle of people being able to do what they want with their property, that is fine but when you have to get community input in what you can do on your property, the community isn't always going to do what you want.

You've begun to expose the shaky "underpinnings"* of modern liberal or "progressive" ideology. How dare you.

*I put "underpinnings" in quotes for the simple fact that modern liberals don't actually appear to have a cohesive and comprehensive and well thought out political philosophy at all.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #289 of 447
Quote:

You've begun to expose the shaky "underpinnings"* of modern liberal or "progressive" ideology. How dare you.

*I put "underpinnings" in quotes for the simple fact that modern liberals don't actually appear to have a cohesive and comprehensive and well thought out political philosophy at all.

Yeah...he's really begun to....

My underpinnings are well and truly shaken... I'm shocked and awed - don't know what I'm going to do now.

Become right-wing I suppose....
post #290 of 447
Quote:

Indeed. This is what's happening in my area:

Redesign of proposed Phoenix Temple not enough to quiet neighbors

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #291 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Yeah...he's really begun to....

My underpinnings are well and truly shaken... I'm shocked and awed - don't know what I'm going to do now.

Become right-wing I suppose....

Could you address the point then? Why is keeping Walmart out of New York City okay, but input about where a mosque goes isn't okay?

post #292 of 447
Quote:

Could you address the point then? Why is keeping Walmart out of New York City okay, but input about where a mosque goes isn't okay?

I don't know anything about the Walmart situation....what's happening with it? Need info before I can comment..
post #293 of 447
Quote:

Do you go to Walmart to play ping pong or pray?
Do you believe the community center will have the same economic impact on surrounding businesses than Walmart?
Do you believe that truck traffic supplying Walmart is similar to truck traffic supplying a house of worship?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #294 of 447
Quote:

I don't know anything about the Walmart situation....what's happening with it? Need info before I can comment..

It's simple. Walmart is being kept out or several large cities in areas that are liberal. The way they are being kept out is random changes to zoning laws and as Walmart reconfigueres around those changes, they change them again.

Quote:

Do you go to Walmart to play ping pong or pray?
Do you believe the community center will have the same economic impact on surrounding businesses than Walmart?
Do you believe that truck traffic supplying Walmart is similar to truck traffic supplying a house of worship?

I don't have to play ping pong or pray. I simply have to believe that the community has a right to control zoning in their neighborhoods or they don't. All the questions you ask flows from that first point.

post #295 of 447
Quote:

It's simple. Walmart is being kept out or several large cities in areas that are liberal. The way they are being kept out is random changes to zoning laws and as Walmart reconfigueres around those changes, they change them again.

That's not 'why' - that's 'how'. Are Walmart doing something bad? If so then ban their ass...I am inclined to believe they probably are...

That would be my criteria - forget 'rights', I don't care about that, if someone is up to no good then kick them into touch.

Put another way, if the Cultural Centre WAS a mosque (it isn't) and if additionally this mosque WAS a Wahabi funded recruiting centre (it isn't) and if it did NOT have the intention to foster harmony and inclusiveness in the community (it does) then ban it...what's the problem?

I don't believe Nazis and killers should have the same rights as normal people. Not sure what Walmart are up to but I'd be inclined to ban them too just to be on the safe side.
post #296 of 447
Quote:

forget 'rights', I don't care about that

To me that's more than a little disconcerting.

Quote:

Not sure what Walmart are up to but I'd be inclined to ban them too just to be on the safe side.

post #297 of 447
Quote:

To me that's more than a little disconcerting.

You've got to remember I'm a European

Quote:

Joking.... (half)
post #298 of 447
Quote:

Touché.

post #299 of 447
Quote:

That's not 'why' - that's 'how'. Are Walmart doing something bad? If so then ban their ass...I am inclined to believe they probably are...

That would be my criteria - forget 'rights', I don't care about that, if someone is up to no good then kick them into touch.

Put another way, if the Cultural Centre WAS a mosque (it isn't) and if additionally this mosque WAS a Wahabi funded recruiting centre (it isn't) and if it did NOT have the intention to foster harmony and inclusiveness in the community (it does) then ban it...what's the problem?

I don't believe Nazis and killers should have the same rights as normal people. Not sure what Walmart are up to but I'd be inclined to ban them too just to be on the safe side.

Well thanks for the attempted irrational reasoning justifying your hate.

You've proven yourself quite hateful. You've labeled Walmart and the people who run it as sub-human and granted them fewer rights based off your label. Additionally you'd deny those rights preemptively without just cause or reason.

I guess that makes you quite the extremist on this matter. This precludes you from discourse but probably should put you on several watch lists for violence.

post #300 of 447
Quote:

Joking.... (half)

Yes, we have to remember that in Europe, anti-semitism isn't anti-semitism. It is just public policy.

post #301 of 447
Quote:

Well thanks for the attempted irrational reasoning justifying your hate.

You've proven yourself quite hateful. You've labeled Walmart and the people who run it as sub-human and granted them fewer rights based off your label. Additionally you'd deny those rights preemptively without just cause or reason.

I guess that makes you quite the extremist on this matter. This precludes you from discourse but probably should put you on several watch lists for violence.

What:?????

That's the second time today you have flown off into incomprehensible gibberish...are you on something Trumpy??
post #302 of 447
Quote:

What:?????

That's the second time today you have flown off into incomprehensible gibberish...are you on something Trumpy??

Oh wait... incomprehensible gibberish. I'll fix that.

I'm European.

post #303 of 447
Quote:

Oh wait... incomprehensible gibberish. I'll fix that.

I'm European.

You'd never pass for European Trumpy. Well...maybe in Switzerland but they don't count....

Seriously though..are you feeling ok? No fever or chills or anything?
post #304 of 447
Quote:

You'd never pass for European Trumpy. Well...maybe in Switzerland but they don't count....

Seriously though..are you feeling ok? No fever or chills or anything?

The kingdom is blind and I have one eye. So I'm good thanks.

post #305 of 447
Quote:

Most here seem to have at least one eye--or they couldn't read and respond to your post
post #306 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Most here seem to have at least one eye--or they couldn't read and respond to your post

I guess that depends on how you define "respond."

post #307 of 447
Quote:

How very worrying....

In Islam the anti-christ has one eye and that is the sign people will know he has returned - it's generally thought that this applied symbolically to the US whose symbol is also one eye in a pyramid but now I am getting concerned....

Hopefully it is just the drink rendering your other eye temporarily inoperable.
post #308 of 447
Quote:

How very worrying....

In Islam the anti-christ has one eye and that is the sign people will know he has returned - it's generally thought that this applied symbolically to the US whose symbol is also one eye in a pyramid but now I am getting concerned....

post #309 of 447
Quote:

How very worrying....

Why would you use your ancient folktales to express concerns about others?

post #310 of 447
Quote:

I guess that depends on how you define "respond."

re·spond (r-spnd)
v. re·spond·ed, re·spond·ing, re·sponds
v.intr.
1. To make a reply; answer. See Synonyms at answer.
2. To act in return or in answer.
3. To react positively or favorably: The patient has responded rapidly to the treatment.
v.tr.
To give as a reply; answer.
post #311 of 447
Quote:

re·spond (r-spnd)
v. re·spond·ed, re·spond·ing, re·sponds
v.intr.
1. To make a reply; answer. See Synonyms at answer.
2. To act in return or in answer.
3. To react positively or favorably: The patient has responded rapidly to the treatment.
v.tr.
To give as a reply; answer.

I haven't seen many of those. I've seen a lot of attacks, accusations and people digging into personal information though.

I think a lot of people are caught up on the answer part. They don't have one so they resort to those other things. Sort of sad really.

post #312 of 447
Quote:

I don't have to play ping pong or pray. I simply have to believe that the community has a right to control zoning in their neighborhoods or they don't. All the questions you ask flows from that first point.

The city not the "community" has the right to establish zoning.
A city is not a community. It is a geographically defined area. A community has no geographic boundaries.

All your answers are showing how uninformed you are.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #313 of 447
Quote:

The city not the "community" has the right to establish zoning.
A city is not a community. It is a geographically defined area. A community has no geographic boundaries.

All your answers are showing how uninformed you are.

Speaking of uninformed, are you saying the city of New York has permitted a Walmart to be built?

post #314 of 447

No I am not saying or typing this at all. Only someone who can not read english would assume that.

I am saying that a community is not a city.

What the city of NY is allowing to be built within it's borders is their decision.

New York is not a community but it houses portions of communities or entire communities within it's borders.
Trying to explain this to you is fruitless.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #315 of 447
Quote:

No I am not saying or typing this at all. Only someone who can not read english would assume that.

I am saying that a community is not a city.

What the city of NY is allowing to be built within it's borders is their decision.

New York is not a community but it houses portions of communities or entire communities within it's borders.
Trying to explain this to you is fruitless.

I apologize for angering and enraging you via my use of large, multisyllable words. A city is a community but since that angers you, here is a kitty to make you feel better.

Don't worry. I understand. You're European. Seg explained this for everyone.

post #316 of 447
Is anyone else concerned that it seems that Trump actually conducted a Google Image search for the pic above?

I know I am.
post #317 of 447
There are over 2 billion muslim in the world.In the states there are over 1 million. That is not a small percentage..
post #318 of 447
Quote:

I apologize for angering and enraging you via my use of large, multisyllable words. A city is a community but since that angers you, here is a kitty to make you feel better.

Don't worry. I understand. You're European. Seg explained this for everyone.

Ah, finally we can see what you look like when you see Palin on TV.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #319 of 447
It appears that the impact of the controversy of building the Park 51 Islamic Cultural Center has had an adverse impact on the Muslim community in Fargo ND.

Quote:
While most Muslims in Fargo, N.D., say they feel accepted within the wider community, many are watching protests over the proposed Islamic cultural center near New York City's Ground Zero closely, particularly as they plan to expand their own mosque.

But Ahmer Qarni, a leader among local Muslims and a physician who immigrated to the United States from Pakistan, worries that the anger sparked by that proposed center could reverberate all the way to Fargo.

"I think I feel more anger, more hostility against building of the mosque and mosque expansions in general. So obviously when you hear about small communities being targeted, you know, who knows? You could be next," Qarni says.

More on this NPR story @
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129886566
post #320 of 447
Quote:

It appears that the impact of the controversy of building the Park 51 Islamic Cultural Center has had an adverse impact on the Muslim community in Fargo ND.

More on this NPR story @
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129886566

Ever notice how one person expressing a concern about something on the left is newsworthy but a but say 50-200k people on the right expressing a concern is not.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Mosque planned for ground zero.