or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Mosque planned for ground zero.

Mosque planned for ground zero. - Page 3

Poll Results: Are you in favor of a new mosque near ground zero?

• 54% (20)
    Yes.
  • 45% (17)
    No.
37 Total Votes  
post #81 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

They had one for 8 years it was called "The White House"

You clearly misunderstand the issue. Go back and study. Come back with your "A" game... President Bush was against Al Qaeda for eight years; now the tables have turned. Oh and in terms of Al Qaeda's lower Manhattan headquarters =>

61% of New Yorkers Oppose Ground Zero Mosque
post #82 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

You clearly misunderstand the issue. Go back and study. Come back with your "A" game... President Bush was against Al Qaeda for eight years; now the tables have turned. Oh and in terms of Al Qaeda's lower Manhattan headquarters =>

Absolute fact: Bush helped recruit more Al Qaeda members than any other person on the planet.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #83 of 447
Quote:

Absolute fact: Bush helped recruit...

So naturally you have some evidence of that fiction? Perhaps video or a still picture of him signing up fanatical recruits? Maybe some written testimony of him attracting new Islamic followers? Anything at all?

Oh wait... this is Wormhole and you never prove anything...
post #84 of 447
Quote:

61% of New Yorkers are ignorant.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #85 of 447
Quote:

So naturally you have some evidence of that fiction? Perhaps video or a still picture of him signing up fanatical recruits? Maybe some written testimony of him attracting new Islamic followers? Anything at all?

Oh wait... this is Wormhole and you never prove anything...

Bush fostered an environment that exacerbated the grievances that many of those who hate us already had against the US. The way he conducted the war, the phrases he used in describing it, and the lies he used to rally support for it did nothing to mend our image overseas.

When a wide receiver says he's going to have a holiday on Revis Island, it's going to rally the New York Jets defense to perform. It's locker room bulletin board material. George W. Bush gave those who hate us more than enough locker room bulletin board material to rally people to their cause against us.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #86 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Bush fostered an environment that exacerbated the grievances that many of those who hate us already had against the US. The way he conducted the war, the phrases he used in describing it, and the lies he used to rally support for it did nothing to mend our image overseas.

So after terrorists attacked us on 09/11/01, early in President Bush's administration, we should have said "Thank you sir, can I have another?"

You are aware that President Bush did more than any other president in history helping the poor in Africa? How did that help our image overseas?

Quote:

George W. Bush gave those who hate us more than enough locker room bulletin board material to rally people to their cause against us.

Bullshit. AL Qaeda hated us long before President Bush came to power... they attacked the World Trade Center first during Clinton's administration, they attacked the USS Cole during Clinton's administration, the attacked the African embassies during the Clinton administration. The excuse that Bush caused these jihadi gang bangers to become radicalized is pure crap... This country faced Islamic Fanatics far before Bush became president.
post #87 of 447
I didn't say that Bush caused the radicalization of these "jihadi gang bangers." I said he helped the already existing ones recruit more than they would have without his insane polices. You fail to comprehend the point and argue against a completely different point that I didn't make. And poorly at that.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #88 of 447
Quote:

I didn't say that Bush caused the radicalization of these "jihadi gang bangers." I said he helped the already existing ones recruit more than they would have without his insane polices. You fail to comprehend the point and argue against a completely different point that I didn't make. And poorly at that.

You're too busy telling people their points are irrelevant to actually take the time to understand them.

9/11 changed everything. Bush or no Bush, Al Qaeda and the like would have found a rallying point. The mere fact that so-called "Western Civilization" exists is a rallying point.

But my original statement stands. If you allow the government limit one group's freedom to peaceably assemble and practice their religion, there is nothing stopping the government from infringing on the rights of all to practice their religion as they choose. It sets a dangerous precedent.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #89 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

9/11 changed everything.

And that's why the terrorists win.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #90 of 447
Quote:

Exactly! I don't understand why so many people are too stupid to understand that when someone goads you into a reaction, you may be injured by that goading, but your reaction may end up bringing more injury upon yourself. In that case you have to roll with the punch and move on.
post #91 of 447
Please explain to me how we were supposed to "roll with the punch" of 9/11.

And keep in mind that I am against the illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Democracy should be spread by example, not force.

post #92 of 447
Rebuild the towers even higher exactly where they stood. Do that as quickly as possible. Make intelligent security decisions at airports instead of hassling everyone over inconsequential bullshit to raise sales of bottled water and toiletries beyond the security checkpoints. Don't act like a bunch of xenophobic nitwits when someone wants to build another dumb house of worship for a different dumb deity from what you worship. Don't give them more reasons to hate us by killing plenty of civilians as collateral damage.

That's just to name a few...

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #93 of 447
Quote:

You think they feel like they are winning?
post #94 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Well they made less of a free country, made us paranoid, lowered our respect around the world, that same paranoia made it possible for our fearless leader of the time to start an unprovoked war that actually ended up encouraging their presence, and did a great deal of damage to our economy exactly when we didn't need it ( and no I'm not talking about our current delema ).

They weakened the giant. And they used us to do it.

What do you think?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #95 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Like McVeigh? No. A true Christian's only allegiance can be to Christianity.

FTFY.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #96 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Please explain to me how we were supposed to "roll with the punch" of 9/11.

And keep in mind that I am against the illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Democracy should be spread by example, not force.

"Roll with the punch" by spreading Democracy by example, not force.
post #97 of 447
Quote:

Absolutely. They have played a huge role in demolishing the US economy, making the US the scourge of the world, respected by very few nations without ulterior motives like trade and even fewer of the peoples of those nations, they have achieved exponential growth of their movement. They have achieved a much higher level of legitimization of their movement.

If Bin Laden were alive now he'd be laughing at the stupidity of your question and those like it.
post #98 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Absolutely. They have played a huge role in demolishing the US economy, making the US the scourge of the world, respected by very few nations without ulterior motives like trade and even fewer of the peoples of those nations, they have achieved exponential growth of their movement. They have achieved a much higher level of legitimization of their movement.

If Bin Laden were alive now he'd be laughing at the stupidity of your question and those like it.

They are very good at playing with religious idiots of all kind. Bin Laden spent 200,000 on 9/11 it costed the US trillions. He used symbolism and "god" to get Bush all riled up. But even he did not think that the US reaction would be this stupid.
Bin Laden is Jesus and David. Jesus just wasn't as educated.
The stupidity of the religious is reliable and 100% usable for any evil one wishes to commit. I use it all the time for my own benefit while I laugh all the way to the bank.
The founding fathers and Islam.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #99 of 447
Here I come late to this thread. Certainly the property owners are free to do what they want with their land within zoning laws. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Too bad cooler heads wont prevail on all sides of this issue.
post #100 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well they made less of a free country, made us paranoid, lowered our respect around the world, that same paranoia made it possible for our fearless leader of the time to start an unprovoked war that actually ended up encouraging their presence, and did a great deal of damage to our economy exactly when we didn't need it ( and no I'm not talking about our current delema ).

They weakened the giant. And they used us to do it.

What do you think?

I think the stature of Islamic Terrorism is diminished in the Islamic world. They used to have free and open training bases and now they are so scattered they can't mount credible attacks on the US. Plus their attacks on Muslims shined a light on the lie that they were against the west. They bet their future on Iraq and lost. They may still be able to operate in Afghanistan after we leave but you can be use the US will retain an ability to hit them if they rebuild bases. Maybe the US can use WikiLeaks to disseminate propaganda of jihadis meeting Allah via a bullet shot from a half mile away?

No one wants to join a defeated discredited organization.
post #101 of 447
Look, at the end of the day, the main challenge to the world about Islam is not about Islam itself but how it is practised by Muslims.

All the stuff frowned upon by the rest of the world, eg., oppression of women, not allowing to convert out of the religion if you are born a Muslim (this is in a lot of countries), mingling of the different sexes, etc... Are predominantly cultural enforcements rather than rational interpretations of the Quran.

That's my opinion anyways.

The first thing is that Muslims and everyone else needs to go back and try and understand what exactly is going on in the Quran, not being so reliant on the "Ustaz" to decipher it and be the final arbiters on what is right, wrong and what not.
post #102 of 447
Quote:
Look, at the end of the day, the main challenge to the world about Christianity is not about Christianity itself but how it is practised by Christians.

All the stuff frowned upon by the rest of the world, eg., oppression of gays, not allowing to marry out of the religion if you are born a Christian (this is in a lot of churches), sex before marriage, abortion, etc... Are predominantly cultural enforcements rather than rational interpretations of the Bible.

The first thing is that Christians and everyone else needs [sic] to go back and try and understand what exactly is going on in the Bible, not being so reliant on the church to decipher it and be the final arbiters on what is right, wrong and what not.

Agreed!
post #103 of 447
LOL nice one tonton.
post #104 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Look, at the end of the day, the main challenge to the world about Islam is not about Islam itself but how it is practised by Muslims.

All the stuff frowned upon by the rest of the world, eg., oppression of women, not allowing to convert out of the religion if you are born a Muslim (this is in a lot of countries), mingling of the different sexes, etc... Are predominantly cultural enforcements rather than rational interpretations of the Quran.

The first thing is that Muslims and everyone else needs to go back and try and understand what exactly is going on in the Quran, not being so reliant on the "Ustaz" to decipher it and be the final arbiters on what is right, wrong and what not.

I wouldn't even say it's how it's practiced. Angry people that are up for a fight will glom on to whatever it is they want; religion, nationalism, tribalism, ethnicity ... \

Far better to have a free and open society to act as a release valve for the nut cases.
post #105 of 447
As a non-Christian/Jew/Muslim, I must laugh. You all worship the same God of Abraham!
post #106 of 447
Quote:

I wouldn't even say it's how it's practiced. Angry people that are up for a fight will glom on to whatever it is they want; religion, nationalism, tribalism, ethnicity ... \

Far better to have a free and open society to act as a release valve for the nut cases.

OMG. Wisdom from Floorjack. I'm floored. And I agree completely.
post #107 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

OMG. Wisdom from Floorjack. I'm floored. And I agree completely.

You might like this.

The Narcissism of the Small Difference
In ethno-national conflicts, it really is the little things that tick people off.
By Christopher Hitchens
Quote:
... skip to the end ...

One of the great advantages possessed by Homo sapiens is the amazing lack of variation between its different "branches." Since we left Africa, we have diverged as a species hardly at all. If we were dogs, we would all be the same breed. We do not suffer from the enormous differences that separate other primates, let alone other mammals. As if to spite this huge natural gift, and to disfigure what could be our overwhelming solidarity, we manage to find excuses for chauvinism and racism on the most minor of occasions and then to make the most of them. This is why condemnation of bigotry and superstition is not just a moral question but a matter of survival.
post #108 of 447

post #109 of 447
Some ideals of tolerance to accompany the new Al Qaeda recruiting center in NYC:

Greg Gutfeld: Im raising money to build a Muslim gay bar next to the Ground Zero mosque
http://www.dailygut.com/?i=4696

Something for the ladies... how about a Muslim whorehouse on the other side next door?
post #110 of 447

U.S. Footing Bill for Ground Zero Imam Trip
http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2...am-to-mideast/
Feisal Abdul Rauf, who has said U.S. policy was in part responsible for the 9/11 attacks, is headed to the Mideast to 'help people overseas understand our society' and the gov't will be picking up the tab

No doubt as per request from Imam Obama!
post #111 of 447
Christians have built their idiot temples all over the world, forcing natives into their idiot believes for millenia.

I have never had a Muslim ring my doorbell on a saturday and shove the Q'ran into my face. However no 3 weeks go by that some idiot christian does this with the bible.
I want the killing of these people to be legal. The bible is a weapon of mass dumbing down and I should be able to defend myself and my family against it without repercussions.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #112 of 447
Quote:

I have never had a Muslim ring my doorbell on a saturday and shove the Q'ran into my face. However no 3 weeks go by that some idiot christian does this with the bible.

Reality check here Worm; the fanatical Muslims are the one's strapping explosives to their chest and violently killing civilians while the fanatical Christians are the ones urging you to read scripture and peacefully spreading Christ's message... perhaps even you can see the difference!
post #113 of 447
Quote:

Christ's message...

Don't work ever, preach to the same 12 guys all your life, make wine from water, don't touch your genitals, have no youth (at least none documented), never talk about the guy who sacrificed his life to raise you as your "father", .... invent socialism, be pro healthcare for all, be anti establishment, create your own religion, get crucified as the better choice than a thieve, never write anything down....
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #114 of 447
Quote:

Don't work ever, preach to the same 12 guys all your life, make wine from water, don't touch your genitals, have no youth (at least none documented), never talk about the guy who sacrificed his life to raise you as your "father", .... invent socialism, be pro healthcare for all, be anti establishment, create your own religion, get crucified as the better choice than a thieve, never write anything down........

While I see your thread hijack is an attempt to draw attention away from the thread topic of an Al Qaeda center in New York, this is, however, a great opportunity to illustrate your cluelessness; not only in common sense but in the basic understanding of Christianity =>

Quote:

Don't work ever...

Jesus was the son of Joseph, a carpenter by trade. That was his work...

Quote:

... preach to the same 12 guys all your life...

Jesus traveled throughout the land of his birth; when he began to "preach" he often drew large crowds. The "12 guys" you reference, the Apostles, were formed to carry on the message of Christianity...

Quote:

... make wine from water...

Would that modern man could!

Quote:

...don't touch your genitals...

I see that you have problems with that...

Quote:

... never talk about the guy who sacrificed his life to raise you as your "father"

The Gospels speak little on the first 30 years of Christ's life; so your "never talk" allegation here is simply your misunderstanding on display.

Quote:

... invent socialism...

Christ's life is a talisman for the freedom of Capitalism.

Quote:

be pro healthcare for all...

Pray tell the Scripture you misunderstood for that claim!

Quote:

...be anti establishment...

The growth of Christianity came to be known as the flower of civilization and the world's largest religion. For an example of "anti-establishment" see your Progressivism and Liberalism.

Quote:

... get crucified as the better choice than a thieve...

Your reference here is little more than second grade incomprehension but it is clear you lack any understanding on the sin on mankind that Jesus took on his shoulders through his death and his rise from the dead for eternal life.

Quote:

...never write anything down...

He lacked an iBook; that's true. But to your point see John 8:3-11.
post #115 of 447
Quote:

Christ's life is a talisman for the freedom of Capitalism.

Christ's life is a talisman for the freedom of slum landlords to violently evict pregnant women! They're free to do it! Like Christ!

Christ's life is a talisman for the freedom of arms companies to sell landmines and phosphorous grenades and chemical agents to dictators the world over for a profit! Like Jesus!

Christ's life is a talisman for engineering and mining companies to manage southern African minerals extraction that destroys the environment and evicts hunting and gathering people!

Christ's life is a talisman for the freedom of Royal Dutch Shell and BP to absolutely destroy the Niger Delta and buy the services of the Nigerian military to actually bomb dissidents! They're free to do it!

Christ's life is a talisman for televangelists to exploit the people who can least afford it!

My god. Christianity's anything you want it to be. Jesus can be a talisman for the free promiscuous murders of serial killers if you're prepared to ignore everything he actually said preaching on the mount, like very, very right wing Americans do.
post #116 of 447
Quote:

peacefully spreading Christ's message... perhaps even you can see the difference!

Hmmm...still looking...
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #117 of 447
First president Obama supports the building of the mosque near ground zero on the conviction of religious freedom and private ownership and I thought, hey that's sensible, unfortunately a day later he tries to paddle back because of massive criticisement in the US.

That's weak, a leader should lead to what he thinks is right and just despite criticisement from the ignorant masses.

Because what message will he give if he gives in to the ignorant masses, he would confirm that the terrorists of 9/11 were not only muslims but that they were representative of the religion as a whole.

If that's the message then he would have to act accordingly, to prohibit islam in the US, to close all mosques, to capture all preachers and if necessary even to intern all muslims and to expell them or to keep them in custody indefinitely.

Nightcrawler
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
post #118 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post

First president Obama supports the building of the mosque near ground zero on the conviction of religious freedom and private ownership and I thought, hey that's sensible, unfortunately a day later he tries to paddle back because of massive criticisement in the US.

That's weak, a leader should lead to what he thinks is right and just despite criticisement from the ignorant masses.

Because what message will he give if he gives in to the ignorant masses, he would confirm that the terrorists of 9/11 were not only muslims but that they were representative of the religion as a whole.

If that's the message then he would have to act accordingly, to prohibit islam in the US, to close all mosques, to capture all preachers and if necessary even to intern all muslims and to expell them or to keep them in custody indefinitely.

Nightcrawler

It's not a matter of what Obama says - he is merely a politician and will do what politicians do.

It is a matter of how true Americans want to be to the original American ideals (bit like how true or not Muslims choose to be to original Islamic ideals actually) because the fact is that in America as I understand it a private individual is free to express whatever belief he wishes and to purchase property to do with as he desires.

So you're right: change those ideals if you want - but lets not say that this is America or this is Islam any more: say it's something 'better' if you want but lets not say it is the same.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #119 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post

Nightcrawler

Obama did not support the building of this particular mosque. I also do not understand his second comment as anything other than "and for the completely idiotic out there one more time":......

The right wants to work for Bin Laden and help make the dream of intolerance true in this country. They want to deregulate everything except where people can build their idiotic houses of worship and what they can do with their genitals. Let's start with outlawing all houses of worship construction for the next 100 years.
Conservinsanes want to live in a Saudi like society like Gingrich said. He wants the US to be more like Saudi Arabia and outlaw places of worship of religions he is not totally happy with.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #120 of 447
Quote:

Obama did not support the building of this particular mosque. I also do not understand his second comment as anything other than "and for the completely idiotic out there one more time":......

The right wants to work for Bin Laden and help make the dream of intolerance true in this country. They want to deregulate everything except where people can build their idiotic houses of worship and what they can do with their genitals. Let's start with outlawing all houses of worship construction for the next 100 years.
Conservinsanes want to live in a Saudi like society like Gingrich said. He wants the US to be more like Saudi Arabia and outlaw places of worship of religions he is not totally happy with.

It is not a mosque. It is a cultural inter-faith centre which happens to include a mosque and probably a prayer-room for Christians too.

I do not know what a 'Conservinsane' is but even if clarified your post makes little sense.

Can you rephrase it perhaps in a way that is more clear?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Mosque planned for ground zero.