or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Walmart to sell Apple's 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Walmart to sell Apple's 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
Walmart has revealed that it will begin selling the 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97 this week, more than $100 off of Apple's $199 suggested retail price.

Starting Tuesday, the lower capacity iPhone 3GS will cost roughly the same amount as Apple's 8GB iPhone 3G. Earlier Monday, a new rumor suggested Apple could be discontinuing the iPhone 3G, which was originally released in 2008.

According to CNNMoney, the new deal from Walmart still requires a two-year contract with carrier AT&T. The U.S. price reduction comes in advance of Memorial Day weekend.

"It is our commitment to always lead on price," said Mehrdad Akbar, senior category director for Walmart.

The move comes less than two weeks before Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation handset, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs delivers the opening keynote for the annual Worldwide Developers Conference on June 7.

The price reduction could be permanent. One analyst said Monday they believe Apple will formally reduce the price of the iPhone 3GS to $99 once the new model is released. Last year, after the iPhone 3GS was released, Apple reduced the price of the 8GB iPhone 3G to $99.

The partnership between Apple and Walmart started in 2005 when the retailer began a pilot program selling Apple's short-lived HP-branded 20GB iPod. Over time, the nation's largest retail chain began carrying Apple's full line of iPods, and in 2008 some of its stores began selling the iPhone 3G. Recently, company officials said they hope to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.
post #2 of 48
Well this pretty much confirms that the 3G is now defunct
post #3 of 48
That's one way to clear inventory. Give Walmart a good price for a couple weeks before the new iPhone comes out.
post #4 of 48
Other than the timing, this was probably to be expected.
post #5 of 48
Best Buy has been giving away the 3G for free with 2 year contract for the last two weeks...

so this was to be expected...good for Walmart to get in on the fun...hey what's next 7-Eleven's?

oh well...more the merrier...
post #6 of 48
Not sure how it is news.
It is almost irrelevant how much you pay upfront $200, $100, $0 or -$100 if you take into account 2-year ownership cost.
post #7 of 48
And AT&T settled the class action suit. Now are legally required to unlock their phones after a period of time (10 months in most cases).... Except the iPhone
post #8 of 48
Well That just makes the 16 GB 3GS the low end in the new lineup as would be expected. It also makes it fairly certain that new iPhones arrive next week.
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Not sure how it is news.
It is almost irrelevant how much you pay upfront $200, $100, $0 or -$100 if you take into account 2-year ownership cost.

AI must be getting paid to promote the product.

Any sensible post would be more along the lines of "$97 + $1,920 minimum contract."
post #10 of 48
Most people will want the 4G when it comes out. So once it comes out the 3GS (8gb) will be
almost an antique. Apple most have inventory it wants to clear out.
I would call this event normal.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad View Post

Well this pretty much confirms that the 3G is now defunct

And, it pretty much confirms that Mr. K's speculation in the previous thread was correct!
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

AI must be getting paid to promote the product.

Any sensible post would be more along the lines of "$97 + $1,920 minimum contract."

What about smartphone contracts do you have issues with exactly? You can pay for your BB, or your Android pretty much under the same terms give or take a couple of hundred. Geez - whiners, you can't please them, and they simply won't go away and mumble incoherently off in a corner someplace where the music drowns them out.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

AI must be getting paid to promote the product.

Any sensible post would be more along the lines of "$97 + $1,920 minimum contract."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Not sure how it is news.
It is almost irrelevant how much you pay upfront $200, $100, $0 or -$100 if you take into account 2-year ownership cost.

Seriously stop. Or I'll call in Cesar Cupertino - the Geek Whisperer:

"but 2 year..*TSSSSST!* ...contract *TSSSSST!* (grumbles under breath)*TSSSST!* (sits quietly at desk waiting for treat)"

Yeah. Geek Whisperer.
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

What about smartphone contracts do you have issues with exactly?

Maybe the fact that I haven't had a contract with T-Mobile for over 4 years and the plan with unlimited SMS and data is much cheaper than ATT?
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

AI must be getting paid to promote the product.

Any sensible post would be more along the lines of "$97 + $1,920 minimum contract."

Yeah, but the contract is the contract is the contract. It's the same in all cases because the cell carriers basically collude on prices therefore it's irrelevant to the calculation.

I find that once you've been duped or forced into getting any contract, that the only sensible (and frugal) thing to do is to pay the full cost of any upgrade phones up-front. That way, once the original contract is over you are free. Since all the contracts are essentially the same, there isn't really a reason to move to a different carrier and you are then just paying month-to-month and paying for all your hardware as you need it.

The "deal" you get on the purchase price of the hardware isn't actually a deal at all.
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Not sure how it is news.
It is almost irrelevant how much you pay upfront $200, $100, $0 or -$100 if you take into account 2-year ownership cost.

I guess it's news because...
"Walmart has revealed that it will begin selling the 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97 this week, more than $100 off of Apple's $199 suggested retail price."
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, but the contract is the contract is the contract. It's the same in all cases because the cell carriers basically collude on prices therefore it's irrelevant to the calculation.

I find that once you've been duped or forced into getting any contract, that the only sensible (and frugal) thing to do is to pay the full cost of any upgrade phones up-front. That way, once the original contract is over you are free. Since all the contracts are essentially the same, there isn't really a reason to move to a different carrier and you are then just paying month-to-month and paying for all your hardware as you need it.

The "deal" you get on the purchase price of the hardware isn't actually a deal at all.

The problem is, AT&T wont reduce your monthly cost just because you provide your own phone. You keep paying forever! (So Im going to get a new subsidized iPhone and get some value back!) Of course, you can avoid a contract by not getting a phone, but your cost is the same with or without the contract: as you say, theres little reason to change carriers, so a contract isnt that harmful.

Anyway... this report raises my hopes for a $299 64 GB iPhone! I need SPACE!
post #18 of 48
This is great news! Reducing the price of the iPhone 3Gs will likely help spur sales, but reducing the monthly fees is essential to gain a larger user base. Maybe if Verizon and Sprint are permitted to sell the iPhone, then we will see competition concerning monthly fees...
post #19 of 48
So much for getting a few bucks from my 3GS when the 4th gen iPhone ships next week...

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #20 of 48
Yeah, at this point I'd rather pay $500 for an unlocked iPhone and pay $40 a month (including data). Oh wait, that's what I already pay with my iPhone on T-Mobile
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

So much for getting a few bucks from my 3GS when the 4th gen iPhone ships next week...

Well two things, one being it will not ship next week considering the keynote is two weeks from now. Second, you should still be able to get at least 250 bucks for your 3GS, depending on the condition.
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by now4real954 View Post

Best Buy has been giving away the 3G for free with 2 year contract for the last two weeks...

so this was to be expected...good for Walmart to get in on the fun...hey what's next 7-Eleven's?

oh well...more the merrier...

Funny with the '7-eleven' comment!

Radio Shack...I mean the 'Shack!' <yawn>
post #23 of 48
This further confirms that next iPhone models are gonna be $19932GB and $29964GB white.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

This further confirms that next iPhone models are gonna be $19932GB and $29964GB white.

White at both levels, along with black.
post #25 of 48
This doesn't confirm anything about the price of the new iPhone or the sizes it comes in.

It could just as easily come in the same 16 and 32 GB versions, with faster, newer internals and a new design.

Same price points? Probably.

32 GB and 64 GB. Maybe.

Confirmation? Nope.

Do I hope you're right? Yes!
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And AT&T settled the class action suit. Now are legally required to unlock their phones after a period of time (10 months in most cases).... Except the iPhone

For one I want to know why the iPhone was excluded. Second an official unlock would make treveling a lot easier.

Dave
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

That's one way to clear inventory. Give Walmart a good price for a couple weeks before the new iPhone comes out.

Inventory clearance? Didn't the 3G stick around for a year at the lower price?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #28 of 48
I hope Apple doesn't do the same lame stunt with bringing out the 4th generation and then selling the 3rd generation for $99 bucks. This Walmart deal makes it apparent they will do the same lame offering. Who want last year technology? I sure don't.

It would be interesting to see if Apple actually sold a boat load of 3G phones over the 3GS phones. I'd bet they didn't.
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I hope Apple doesn't do the same lame stunt with bringing out the 4th generation and then selling the 3rd generation for $99 bucks. This Walmart deal makes it apparent they will do the same lame offering. Who want last year technology? I sure don't.

It would be interesting to see if Apple actually sold a boat load of 3G phones over the 3GS phones. I'd bet they didn't.

Wow, because YOU don't want last year's technology EVERYONE doesn't want it?

Okay God, now can you bring world peace or don't YOU want that either?

There are people who want an iPhone but can't afford the newer stuff but are happy with the current tech and don't see much value in the new stuff anyway.

Just because YOU don't see a need doesn't mean there isn't one otherwise Apple wouldn't do it and clearly Apple is a whole lot smarter than you... unless of course you actually run a $50 billion dollar computer company.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by now4real954 View Post

so this was to be expected...good for Walmart to get in on the fun...hey what's next 7-Eleven's?

Could work if you could buy them as prepaid like in Europe.
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Not sure how it is news.
It is almost irrelevant how much you pay upfront $200, $100, $0 or -$100 if you take into account 2-year ownership cost.

While you are correct, I think that most people look at immediate expenses differently than future expenses. And besides, the monthly service is the same no matter what you pay initially.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

For one I want to know why the iPhone was excluded.

Dave

I guess mainly because they know it is an easy hook to keep you on their network. If they have to unlock their phones and if they were allowed an exception, then the iPhone would be the one to pick. My question would be why was the iPhone allowed to be an exception by the lawyers repping the plaintiffs. Seems like it is the perfect example of why the class started the suit anyway...that being AT&T using carrier locks to prevent customers from bailing with the phones after their contract is up.

Anyway, if you want to read the docs from the case the Notice of Settlement is up as well as other info.

I would like to see this forced on all carriers in Canada. There is no good reason, from a customer point of view, in allowing carriers to prevent me from using my device on another compatible network once I have repaid my subsidy and met my contractual obligations. It is then my device free and clear and they should not be allowed to place restrictions on how I use my property.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Wow, because YOU don't want last year's technology EVERYONE doesn't want it?

Okay God, now can you bring world peace or don't YOU want that either?

There are people who want an iPhone but can't afford the newer stuff but are happy with the current tech and don't see much value in the new stuff anyway.

Just because YOU don't see a need doesn't mean there isn't one otherwise Apple wouldn't do it and clearly Apple is a whole lot smarter than you... unless of course you actually run a $50 billion dollar computer company.

I have to agree. The 3GS is still a great phone even after the 4G or whatever drops, and many would love to have the 3GS over whatever crap they might be running. great idea for apple and helps saturate the market more with phones using their platform. There's bee too much talk about fragmentation, it's called... "legacy".
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I hope Apple doesn't do the same lame stunt with bringing out the 4th generation and then selling the 3rd generation for $99 bucks. This Walmart deal makes it apparent they will do the same lame offering. Who want last year technology? I sure don't.

It would be interesting to see if Apple actually sold a boat load of 3G phones over the 3GS phones. I'd bet they didn't.

So, why would any of that make you hope they don't do it? Do you somehow believe that if they sell the previous generation for a lower price that you are somehow forced to buy the older model, even though you want the new one?

If you don't want the 3GS and instead opt to get the 4G, why would you even care if they are selling the 3GS? I like my MacBook Pro. Should that mean I hope they stop selling the MacBook?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

So, why would any of that make you hope they don't do it? Do you somehow believe that if they sell the previous generation for a lower price that you are somehow forced to buy the older model, even though you want the new one?

If you don't want the 3GS and instead opt to get the 4G, why would you even care if they are selling the 3GS? I like my MacBook Pro. Should that mean I hope they stop selling the MacBook?


Too many people here want to choose a team to back exclusively. They do it in weird contexts.

Liking Apple stuff somehow means that they must dislike other choices. Liking the older Apple model is disloyal to the curreent company edict.
post #36 of 48
I'm surprised that no one has discussed the ramifications to Apple's image and branding by selling the iPhone (even an older model) at Wal-Mart. One can argue that Apple should take care of every sales opportunity it can. On the other hand, Apple purposely reduced its dealer network around the time it opened its own stores, not so much to eliminate competition, but because Apple was unhappy with the way that most retailers presented its products.

Does anyone really think that WalMart is going to present Apple's products well? Even a computer chain, like CompUSA, did a lousy job of presenting Apple's products.

And selling an unlocked phone for a higher price is a non-starter. Almost no one is willing to pay $600 for a phone, even if there's a cost savings in the long run. And even if Verizon did get the iPhone, I have a feeling that they will not get into a price war with AT&T, so monthly charges will remain high. You would think that with high cell phone penetration, the only way to get new business would be to capture business from another carrier, and therefore there would be more price wars, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I'm surprised that no one has discussed the ramifications to Apple's image and branding by selling the iPhone (even an older model) at Wal-Mart....

Does anyone really think that WalMart is going to present Apple's products well? Even a computer chain, like CompUSA, did a lousy job of presenting Apple's products.

WalMart has been selling iPhones since just after Christmas. IIRC, there was quite a spirited discussion at the time whether that fact would affect iPhone branding.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

While you are correct, I think that most people look at immediate expenses differently than future expenses. And besides, the monthly service is the same no matter what you pay initially.

True, but... currently, the least expensive voice and data plan from AT&T is $70 a month. Offer a plan for people who don't need 450 minutes a month and unlimited data, for under $50 a month, and iPhones fly out the doors whether the phones themselves are priced at $99 or $199.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #39 of 48
Message to those who can't read between the lines of all these prices saying $97, 99 or $199. It's not true. New iPhones are not available at those prices, but Apple marketing is delighted if you think that it is.
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Seriously stop. Or I'll call in Cesar Cupertino - the Geek Whisperer:

"but 2 year..*TSSSSST!* ...contract *TSSSSST!* (grumbles under breath)*TSSSST!* (sits quietly at desk waiting for treat)"

Yeah. Geek Whisperer.

you can break the contract anytime if you are not happy....

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Walmart to sell Apple's 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97