or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Commercials for Apple's next-gen iPhone to demonstrate video chat

Commercials for Apple's next-gen iPhone to demonstrate video chat

post #1 of 74
Television commercials for Apple's forthcoming iPhone upgrade will reportedly showcase the device's video chat abilities and will be shot by an Academy Award winning director.

Engadget declared that it "confirmed" through a source that Apple's new commercials will be directed by Sam Mendes, who won an Oscar for his work on "American Beauty." The tipster said that Apple's next-generation handset is being referred to internally as Mammoth/N90.

"A trusted source has confirmed to us that the ads will feature at least one spot where a mother and daughter are having a video chat conversation using the new front-facing camera that's been spied on the face of that iPhone floating around Vietnam and Northern California," editor Joshua Topolsky wrote.

The website also discovered actors on Twitter who revealed that they are auditioning for the commercial. One actress in New York confirmed that the spot will be directed by Mendes, while an actor in California said last week he was off to an audition.

The details of video chat come as no surprise, as two previous leaked prototype iPhones included a forward facing camera on the device, in addition to the traditional rear camera for shooting photos. Prototypes of the redesigned handset also featured a camera flash, custom A4 processor, larger battery, and higher resolution screen.

The new iPhone is expected to be announced at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, to be held June 7 through June 11 at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif. Apple revealed on Monday that Chief Executive Steve Jobs will deliver the event's keynote on June 7 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time.

post #2 of 74
Yawn. To early in the morn to care.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #3 of 74
I'm curious to see if I actually use this feature or not. I find that after the "gee whiz" feeling wore off, I stopped using video chats on my Mac. But I could imagine that having the ability to do video chats from locations other than my office at home might make the feature more useful. We shall see...
post #4 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm curious to see if I actually use this feature or not. I find that after the "gee whiz" feeling wore off, I stopped using video chats on my Mac. But I could imagine that having the ability to do video chats from locations other than my office at home might make the feature more useful. We shall see...

I think the usefulness will be determined by whether it is allowed to run on 3G or not. If it can, then yes, being able to video chat with my kids at home while I am at work would be great.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #5 of 74
I do Skype video chats on my Mac all the time (hours a day normally), so I could see a use for this. Especially if the Skype app supports it.
post #6 of 74
Quote:

We use WebEx from Cisco for internal and external meetings. Those who has a WebCam often turns it on. Gives a better presence in the meeting. With this one maybe a user also may be able to run WebEx having a web cam activated?
post #7 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Television commercials for Apple's forthcoming iPhone upgrade will reportedly showcase the device's video chat abilities

It is wise for Apple to highlight this feature. AFAIK, it is exclusive to the iPhone.

AFAIK, it is the ONLY exclusive feature on the iPhone.
post #8 of 74
Nice feature. Now the question is will AT&T have the bandwithh to support it?
Hard to believe.
post #9 of 74
Fantastic, I already do this for too much long, on My NOKIA 5800, video phone calls, and Skype video drought Fring. Oh, remember Nokia 5800 is like 1/3 the price of the iPhone, so I just wonder how much Apple is going to charge for this!
post #10 of 74
I believe that phones in Japan have been able to do this for a while. I wonder what the rate of acceptance vs. continued use is there?
post #11 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It is wise for Apple to highlight this feature. AFAIK, it is exclusive to the iPhone.

AFAIK, it is the ONLY exclusive feature on the iPhone.

HTC EVO has already beat Apple to the punch. Their video chat got demoed a few weeks back. Of course, this is speaking for the US market.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #12 of 74
The iPhone just keeps getting better.

Competition from Android (and maybe Windows 7 Phone, *snigger*?) is good to keep pushing Apple to be competitive in price and features.

Let's hope the iPad sees some real competition and ups its game for the second generation (easy printing, easy linking to external screens/projectors).
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I think the usefulness will be determined by whether it is allowed to run on 3G or not. If it can, then yes, being able to video chat with my kids at home while I am at work would be great.

It is probably safe to say that AT&T won't support this feature. Most likely it will be wifi only. With AT&T I am happy when I can actually make a phone call. I'd be surprised if this was actually allowed over their network. Of course there are rumors the iPhone may go to other carriers that could support this. It will be interesting to see what is announced next month.
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Nice feature. Now the question is will AT&T have the bandwithh to support it?
Hard to believe.

From what I have read, it is possible/likely that this will be a Wifi only feature.

iPhoneHacks
Quote:
iPhone OS 4.0 beta also contains error messages for lost calls, disconnected calls and networking issues.

IMAVCHAT_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_NO_REMOTE_WIFI = "The video call could not connect because a remote Wi-Fi connection could not be established.";

IMAVCHAT_DISCONNECTED_NO_LOCAL_WIFI = "The video call disconnected because the local Wi-Fi connection was lost.";

However, MacRumors points out that most of the error messages are for Wi-Fi connectivity related issues but there are no error messages for 3G connectivity related issues, which indicates that the video conferencing feature might work only over Wi-Fi initially and not over 3G.

Gizmodo had similar suspicions.

Having it on 3G would be awesome and I think most international carriers would allow it. But once again, it is likely that AT&T's mediocrity will result in everyone getting a hobbled implementation.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_11 View Post

It is probably safe to say that AT&T won't support this feature. Most likely it will be wifi only. With AT&T I am happy when I can actually make a phone call. I'd be surprised if this was actually allowed over their network. Of course there are rumors the iPhone may go to other carriers that could support this. It will be interesting to see what is announced next month.

That would be my current guess too.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #16 of 74
So will iPhone video chat be compatible with OS X desktop iChat? It would be a nice feature compared to normal phone to phone video chat.
post #17 of 74

Top Global 3G Phoebus Portable WiFi (802.11 b/g) Router

List Price: $239.95
Your Price: $189.95
You Save: $50.00 (21 %)

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_11 View Post

I would definitely agree. If just normal use of data on an iPhone is putting such a tax on AT&T's systems, I'd hate to see what millions of simultaneous, compressed video streams would do.
post #19 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

The iPhone just keeps getting better.

Competition from Android (and maybe Windows 7 Phone, *snigger*?) is good to keep pushing Apple to be competitive in price and features.

Let's hope the iPad sees some real competition and ups its game for the second generation (easy printing, easy linking to external screens/projectors).

Competition from Android? Ahem!
Android isn't a single company but a bunch of 3rd party cell phone makers pimping the Android OS. And those cell phone makers also compete with one another. So you failed to take into account, because you don't know what you're talking about, the fact that those Android based cell phone makers compete with each other.
HELLO!!!!!!!
post #20 of 74
Four years ago, I remember having seen "video" phones in the wild, in Belgrade (Serbia). They just completed their 3G network and were showcasing it by selling dual-camera phones (front and back). Video chat worked well (their 3G network is much more robust than any US carrier).

Nothing about video chat is new. Then again, none of the iPhone features were new when iPhone introduced them. The fundamental difference between the iPhone and all other phones with same features is, on all those other phones, people essentially just make phone calls, occasionally snap a picture and use contact list to enter phone numbers (together with a nickname) of their friends (ex. "Laura-cell - 1824-648-2465" "Mom - 1824-545-6774"). They are mostly oblivious to all other features (IM, e-mail, web, music/video playback, FM radio, video chat, etc, etc, etc).

IPhone users generally use 80-90% of its features. Therein lies the difference.
post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Fantastic, I already do this for too much long, on My NOKIA 5800, video phone calls, and Skype video drought Fring. Oh, remember Nokia 5800 is like 1/3 the price of the iPhone, so I just wonder how much Apple is going to charge for this!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ1
Back at you. Doesn't matter the price because Apple has already sold over 41 million iphones and counting soooooooooo you failed +10. Ouch!
Besides, we haven't seen video chat "APPLE STYLE".
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah booooooooyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeee!
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The website also discovered actors on Twitter who revealed that they are auditioning for the commercial. One actress in New York confirmed that the spot will be directed by Mendes, while an actor in California said last week he was off to an audition.

Hmm. What do we think are the chances of an actor who leaks Apple info getting the gig?
post #23 of 74
Quote:

I predict an increase in nose hair clipper sales.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I predict an increase in nose hair clipper sales.

Then the iPhone should receive a government subsidy, because that would be a public good
post #25 of 74
With the long screen of the iPhone I bet it would be possible to have a three way video chat.

I agree AT&T couldn't handle the load of video chat, so it will likely be Wifi only.

However it might be able to take a picture every minute or two over 3G instead of live video.
post #26 of 74
I know it is what people say they want, video chat. Some people seem to love it. But in my experience, most people I come across are not comfortable with it. The technology has been around for a long time, yet it has never really caught on. Is that because the devices have not been good enough or because people are too vain and don't want to look bad on screen with the other party? Or both? I think it is one of those selling features that really doesn't mean much in practical use. Similar to the processor speed of a computer these days. Each successive speed increase is touted and used to sell the machine. But when it comes down to it, it is irrelevant these days to most users who only check their email, browse the web and write an occasional word doc.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I would definitely agree. If just normal use of data on an iPhone is putting such a tax on AT&T's systems, I'd hate to see what millions of simultaneous, compressed video streams would do.

Not to totally disagree but I would suspect the amount of video already being used over the networks by iPhone users is already huge. So it would not be all be additional video as when using iPhone Chat that as that user isn't using any other video at that moment (tiny effect I know but throwing it in there ). I do suspect Apple will no doubt have some super efficient video (HTML5?) for use on phone lines too.

I wonder if this might be limited to 4G or wifi ... All exciting speculation never the less.. one step closer to 'Beam me up Scotty."
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #28 of 74
Off topic slightly ... I know it's impossible and I jest - but it would be nice if iPhones (hell, all phones) could detect if you are the driver and are driving when using a phone and auto parallel park you and turn off your ignition!

I play a game now, it's called 'Spot the driver not on a cell phone'. Seriously, here in Florida it is becoming ludicrous on the roads with drivers paying little attention to their driving. It is time for a major change in the law here regarding phone use while driving.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #29 of 74
Not a feature I'll be using. Who wants to be walking around video chit chatting with people when ATT's network won't provide good enough bandwidth? If they can't even offer tethering (might be available with 4.0), what makes people think they can handle video chats? Granted the smart people will use Wi-Fi for video chat, but I think most people will want to use it wherever they can. Dropped calls? How about dropped video chats.
post #30 of 74
while i really do hope this is true, let's remember that the "source" for this info is a tweet from a starving actor about an audition.
post #31 of 74
Quote:

Not to totally disagree but I would suspect the amount of video already being used over the networks by iPhone users is already huge. So it would not be all be additional video as when using iPhone Chat that as that user isn't using any other video at that moment (tiny effect I know but throwing it in there ). I do suspect Apple will no doubt have some super efficient video (HTML5?) for use on phone lines too.

I wonder if this might be limited to 4G or wifi ... All exciting speculation never the less.. one step closer to 'Beam me up Scotty."

I'm assuming that you mean viewing videos a la YouTube? My thought was that video chat would be an additional layer of data being used on top of whatever video browsing the user would normally do.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple's compression is really efficient to try and offset that. I also wouldn't be surprised if AT&T enacted an additional "premium data" plan that gives you video chat at $10 more a month.
post #32 of 74
One use I can see for the video iChat on iPhone will be people initiating a call to a friend and then saying "Look at this!" and turning the phone around and holding it up. Concerts, scenery what ever ... So I hope Apple put in a lens and focusing system able to do a pretty descent job in that respect and not limit it to a face to face ability.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I'm assuming that you mean viewing videos a la YouTube? My thought was that video chat would be an additional layer of data being used on top of whatever video browsing the user would normally do.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple's compression is really efficient to try and offset that. I also wouldn't be surprised if AT&T enacted an additional "premium data" plan that gives you video chat at $10 more a month.

Right but I would assume the user would not be streaming any other data while using iChat.

I doubt there will be a premium plan IMHO I think Apple will want this to be part of the package out of the box. Although you could be right if it were 4G only or WiFi. It would be a back door way of getting users to buy a premium package as you suggest simply by using a faster network if that indeed were charged at a higher rate.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

while i really do hope this is true, let's remember that the "source" for this info is a tweet from a starving actor about an audition.

And as someone else already commented ... one that probably wasn't hired after that tweet!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #35 of 74
Quote:

Right but I would assume the user would not be streaming any other data while using iChat.

I doubt there will be a premium plan IMHO I think Apple will want this to be part of the package out of the box. Although you could be right if it were 4G only or WiFi. It would be a back door way of getting users to buy a premium package as you suggest simply by using a faster network if that indeed were charged at a higher rate.

Maybe it will balance out in the end. Still, it just goes to show that our handsets are starting to outpace our networks here in the US. Can't wait for the 4G pipelines to become mainstream...
post #36 of 74
[QUOTE=Predrag;1638406The fundamental difference between the iPhone and all other phones with same features is, on all those other phones, people essentially just make phone calls, occasionally snap a picture and use contact list to enter phone numbers (together with a nickname) of their friends (ex. "Laura-cell - 1824-648-2465" "Mom - 1824-545-6774"). They are mostly oblivious to all other features (IM, e-mail, web, music/video playback, FM radio, video chat, etc, etc, etc).

[/QUOTE]

Where do you get your facts?

I've never heard such claims.
post #37 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Not a feature I'll be using. Who wants to be walking around video chit chatting with people when ATT's network won't provide good enough bandwidth? If they can't even offer tethering (might be available with 4.0), what makes people think they can handle video chats?

Teathering has been out there for almost a year. There are very few carriers in the world that don't allow it; vast majority of the world carriers does.

As for bandwidth, YouTube gobbles up much more than iChat's minimum. The official minimum bandwidth for iChat is 100kbps. I have successfully had sustained A/V iChat conversations with bandwidth dropping down to 45kbps (same as 56k modem!), with about 5fps (frames-per-second) motion video and a fairly blurry picture. At 100kbps, picture is quite decent and framerate is 15fps.

There is no reason for AT&T to prohibit this. Then again, there is little reason to prohibit tethering (people surf web, watch YouTube, upload pictures to FaceBook, directly from their iPhone; how much more bandwidth could laptop possibly use???), yet AT&T still can't seem to get it done... I really feel sorry for American mobile users; they never seem to be catching up with the rest of the world with their mobile technology.
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Where do you get your facts?

I've never heard such claims.

I wasn't quoting facts; I was merely expressing opinion, based on my personal experience. In the circle of people I know (work, family, friends), the stats are as follows: out of fifty women, more than half of them have work-issued blackberries. These blackberries have a web browser, and the ability to side-load applications. Not ONE single of these women uses their blackberry for anything other than a phone, e-mail device and an occasional photo. They are oblivious to the fact that they can put music and video on their devices and play them (in fact, most of them have an iPod for music, ironically).

The point is, even though every other smartphone (and even most dumb-phones) now has a browser, an e-mail client, photo browser, video player, MP3 player, camera (with video), IM, SMS, FM radio, even ability to put applications (small java applets for dumbphones), vast majority of people (especially women) don't know about, or how to use, any of those features, other than address book, phone and possibly camera.

Again, this is my own observation. You may know many more tech women, so your experience may be different. I did see some research data, though, that supports my anecdotal observations.
post #39 of 74
if there is a charge for it...I will pass! I'm 'charged-out' as it is!
post #40 of 74
Quote:

I do suspect Apple will no doubt have some super efficient video (HTML5?) for use on phone lines too.

Apple is using H.264 (a component of the MPEG-4 standard) for compressing video in iChat (unlike Skype, which apparently seems to be using On2 video encoding). H.264 is a published open standard that can be licensed by anyone (MPEG-LA is the license holder). There are many video chips that can encode/decode H.264 directly, avoiding software/main CPU overhead.

HTML-5 is a mark-up language for delivering web content to a browser. It has nothing to do with video compression and encoding.

It has been recently used in the context of replacing Flash as a means for delivering MPEG4-compressed video to the web.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Commercials for Apple's next-gen iPhone to demonstrate video chat