or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dell announces Streak, a 5-inch Android-based iPad competitor

Dell announces Streak, a 5-inch Android-based iPad competitor - Page 3

post #81 of 131
Michael Dell these days sustains himself solely on having to eat his words...
post #82 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

The usual thought provoking positive posts...

How about someone holds one in their hands before blasting it because it's the train to jump on at the moment.

You won't find that kind of logical thinking around here when Dell is involved. The Apple lemmings come out in droves at the very mention of the Name.

For the rest of us, it appears there is yet another very capable device that has now come to market, running a very capable OS, in a form factor that very well may hit the sweet spot for many.

I really don't see how this device is a competitor to the Ipad since the Ipad isn't a phone. Is Dell stating so?
post #83 of 131
Never mind
post #84 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

You won't find that kind of logical thinking around here when Dell is involved. The Apple lemmings come out in droves at the very mention of the Name.

For the rest of us, it appears there is yet another very capable device that has now come to market, running a very capable OS, in a form factor that very well may hit the sweet spot for many.

I really don't see how this device is a competitor to the Ipad since the Ipad isn't a phone. Is Dell stating so?

Yes of course the illogical lemmings come out, and you of course are logical to brand this is a very capable device based on a prototype (and we know where the ms and hp vapourware prototypes are now, up into thin vapour air), and a blog post. Absolutely no bias, just clear level headed thinking. Ah, and it has apparently "now come to market" too... would you care buying one tomorrow and letting us know then of your experience because you have a very strange conception of something coming to market.

How very ironic that you have the gall to call others derogatory names...
post #85 of 131
The more of these iPad "competitors" that hit the market, the faster the iPad will be developed by Apple. So... WInner!
post #86 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

The more of these iPad "competitors" that hit the market, the faster the iPad will be developed by Apple. So... WInner!

good one
post #87 of 131
That video is lame as. The device looks like a pile of pants, it won't sell more than 10k units. "It has multi tasking, see it loads this web page when I do something else..." No that's the same bloody page you idiot!! I don't know how Dell can put that video out to promote a new product (Unless the product is actually more usless than it would seem!) If that guy was an Apple employee, Stevey J would have him taken out and shot.

What was it called? Dell Fail? oh that was it, Streak might has well be called Fail as thats what it will be why do they even try? Come on you Dell dudes, give me some hate!!

PS Who's going to in the line for the UK iPad launch in Regents St on Friday? No Dellboy's allowed!
post #88 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

That video is lame as. The device looks like a pile of pants, it won't sell more than 10k units. "It has multi tasking, see it loads this web page when I do something else..." No that's the same bloody page you idiot!! I don't know how Dell can put that video out to promote a new product (Unless the product is actually more usless than it would seem!) If that guy was an Apple employee, Stevey J would have him taken out and shot.

What was it called? Dell Fail? oh that was it, Streak might has well be called Fail as thats what it will be why do they even try? Come on you Dell dudes, give me some hate!!

PS Who's going to in the line for the UK iPad launch in Regents St on Friday? No Dellboy's allowed!

Ok so I'm replying to my own post, but how long does it take to load the Dell website? answer forever. Either the Dell website is a load of crap (true) or the device if fitted with a 56k modem (maybe). Maybe Michael you should eat your own dog food "... I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders,". Sorry I have a special kind of hatred for Dell.

PS I'm also at WWDC10, if anyone fancy's more crazy rants.
post #89 of 131
I have absolutely NO need for a mobile phone or an iPhone. I would love a iPod Touch that had 3g wireless capability (call it a small iPad if you wish)! The only thing stopping me from buying a smartphone is the ridiculous prices you people are willing to pay for nonstop pointless jabbering.
post #90 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post

This new Streak device drom Dell seems sweet, I'd love a bit of a larger screen in my iphone and the streak has flash support. I am not pro flash yet today I was trying to check rates and reservations, couldn't do it on my 3GS. Can't wait to try the Dell Streak, I hope the user interface matches the iPhone's.

Do you think that it is small enough to carry as a phone? I haven't seen one in person, but it seems big.
post #91 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

EPIC FAIL.....Mr. Dell please do us all a favor and give up. No one wants this or anything else your company has come up with.

Actually, in fact, Dell sells more computers each quarter than Apple sells in a year. Many many more people want Dell computers, compared to apple computers, so if "nobody" wants Dells...
post #92 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post

I haven't had a five-inch streak since Chi-Chi's went out of business.

Nice one. Heh.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #93 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Actually, in fact, Dell sells more computers each quarter than Apple sells in a year. Many many more people want Dell computers, compared to apple computers, so if "nobody" wants Dells...

Want? I want a Bugatti Veyron, a $20 million dollar mansion, and a Gulfstream V, but I can only feasibly afford a Merc, a much cheaper residence and single engine Cessna. By your reckoning I want those much cheaper and much more common items over the better ones.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #94 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

They are making the shareholders nostalgic for Carly Fiorina. I never thought they'd pull that off.

Carly Fiorina was CEO of HP. (And championed/carried out/managed the HP-Compaq acquisition).
post #95 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

idgi who wants to carry around a big android phone

btw and the android OS fragmentation continues

this is a little too big. just over 4" is the sweet spot. big enough to watch/read and fit in a pocket.
of course there seems to be a lot of people who want to pay lots of money for a gigantic ipod touch. i just laugh cuz after the buzz wears off you realize you just got robbed and have to tote that stupid oversized, overpriced thing around.
post #96 of 131
Quote:

Do you think that it is small enough to carry as a phone? I haven't seen one in person, but it seems big.

Specs from 02
http://www.o2.co.uk/dellstreak#tab-panel0_tab1

About a 70% larger footprint than iPhone.
post #97 of 131
Quote:

Actually, in fact, Dell sells more computers each quarter than Apple sells in a year.

Now that hasn't been true for some time now. Naughty!
post #98 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's obviously targeted at Apple haters. They can tote it around and try to convince people that it's better than an iPad. Who needs all that screen space? Plus, it's perfect for when you have a big call to make.

holy crap that was funny.

Using this for a call...would be like when the Butabi bros pull out 80s phones in A Night at the Roxbury.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #99 of 131
"Kevin" doesn't sound very convinced about his own assertions.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #100 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Want? I want a Bugatti Veyron, a $20 million dollar mansion, and a Gulfstream V, but I can only feasibly afford a Merc, a much cheaper residence and single engine Cessna. By your reckoning I want those much cheaper and much more common items.

worthless comparisons are worthless
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #101 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Now that hasn't been true for some time now. Naughty!

Its fun to compare world wide sales vs US only.
post #102 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

worthless comparisons are worthless

I'm glad you agree that comparing Macs sales to Dell sales to determine desire is worthless.
post #103 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Carly Fiorina was CEO of HP. (And championed/carried out/managed the HP-Compaq acquisition).

I knew that. Brain fart alert.
post #104 of 131
the truth is, whether sad, or not, a huge number of people actually -do- desire the cheaper dells. I don't understand them, and have tried to reason with a few of them, was successful in convincing maybe a handful to buy a mac instead, but, they exist, and in huge numbers. I have come across quite a number of people who really can't understand why anyone would want a better designed mac.

There's all kinds of people out there, and they tend to have different views on what is and isn't important in a computer/device.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
post #105 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm glad you agree that comparing Macs sales to Dell sales to determine desire is worthless.

Only somebody who cannot develop an anaolgy of their own would make that assumption
post #106 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

It does not look like an Archos 5.

I would be willing to believe that Archos designed it specifically for Dell as it is very close in specs and appearance to the Archos 5. See http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5/specs.html

I would be willing to believe that Archos designed it for Dell as Archos stock price has not cratered, but is up over the last few months. See http://www.euronext.com/trader/summa...&selectedMep=1

I didnt say it looked like an archos 5. I said it looked like an archos. I have a friend who still has one of the first archos before we even got iPod videos. I saw the last archos about a year ago and never kept up, but my first glance said it looked like an archos and the link you sent sort of supports my original assessment, rather than refute it.
post #107 of 131
Quote:

It might be-- you can get a 3x5 index card in a shirt pocket.

It's kinda' an in-between device-- not really a smart phone (or iPod Touch), not really a netback, not really an iPad, not really a laptop or tablet computer.

Someone posted that it might be a good transactor, like the FedEX and UPS guys carry.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #108 of 131
Just as it does with Linux
post #109 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yes of course the illogical lemmings come out, and you of course are logical to brand this is a very capable device based on a prototype (and we know where the ms and hp vapourware prototypes are now, up into thin vapour air), and a blog post. Absolutely no bias, just clear level headed thinking. Ah, and it has apparently "now come to market" too... would you care buying one tomorrow and letting us know then of your experience because you have a very strange conception of something coming to market.

How very ironic that you have the gall to call others derogatory names...

Nice one

In all this spitting in general Streak direction, no one bothered to notice that Kindle has only 6" screen and in number of reviews it was considered to be a perfect size for book reading. 5" shouldn't be much worst than that. In fact, I am doing a lot of reading on my iPhone, have completely adapted to it's size and to me 5" seems plentiful. I actually think that this device has better portability/size compromise than iPad.

Regarding software, with some luck Dell does not need to do much about it - if device sells, I'd expect apps and games from Android store will soon have versions for this screen size/resolution.

For me it could be interesting. Yes I would not like to be seen handing this to my ear, but that is nothing headphones or BT headset cannot fix. On the other side, bigger screen would help for browsing, typing messages etc. while device itself would not be much more uncomfortable to carry around than ordinary smart phone. Considering nowadays there are people who txt more than they talk over phones anyway, I think it definitely has potential.

Off the topic, I'm finding it amusing that people who were heartedly defending iPad from being called oversized iPod are among the first to call Streak oversized Android phone. Hypocrisy at it's best..?
post #110 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

sorry but 5 inches is not a tablet.

that's what she said

(sorry couldn't help myself)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #111 of 131
I'm sorry but this Streak is garbage. It's just another Android phone, locked to O2 probably, so will have limited distribution, has to compete with iPhone HD released next month, sure, it has Flash, but it's a Dell, it's not big enough to even be a tablet, and it's too large to be a reasonable smartphone.

I call Fail on this one.

As some posters mention, nothing to see here, move along, fangeeks will be all like, oooh, but I don't think it will be a netbook replacement, nor a smartphone nor iPhone nor Blackberry replacement.

If I were a Dell shareholder I would wonder how many hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D, marketing, etc. was just pissed against a wall.

Blackberry, I can respect as a suitable alternative for those that don't think iPhone is suitable for them. Other Android phones, maybe some out there are reasonable and people like using them, good for them. But Dell, in this market space, with a neither-here-nor-there, thing, I think is utter crap.

Dell obviously didn't have the balls to go all the way with a 10-inch ACTUAL TABLET for fears of losing sales of their netbooks. This is just a, "look we're cool too... Stop switching to Macs, Dell is here, we're cool, we're hip, we're Android, we're Froyo'ed YEAH baby...".

Bollocks.

I had the displeasure of actually trying to use a Dell Axim about 7 years back. What a absolutely horrible experience that was.
post #112 of 131
Quote:

Compared to the 3GS it's 37.4mm (32%) higher and 17mm (27%) wider, and has a 42% larger screen size.

So it depends on the person I think. It would certainly fit in my pocket, but a girl in a tight pair of jeans would struggle!

It actually makes sense to me. The iPhone screen isn't large enough for any kind of serious movie\\TV watching, reading or web browsing. The iPhone is predominantly a phone, it just happens to do a lot of other stuff as well.

The Streak seems to fill that gap. It's big enough to watch a TV show on during the train ride to work, but it's also functional as a phone.

It's not going to set the world on fire as it seems like a very niche product. I hope it does well though and that Dell keep releasing different products. It's naive for us to think that there could possibly be a one-size-fits-all smartphone size.
post #113 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

I'll buy [a Streak]...I have absolutely NO need for a mobile phone or an iPhone. I would love a iPod Touch that had 3g wireless capability (call it a small iPad if you wish)! The only thing stopping me from buying a smartphone is the ridiculous prices you people are willing to pay for nonstop pointless jabbering.

Yeah, iPads are banned in Amish country. Maybe you might be able to sneak in a Streak.
post #114 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

the truth is, whether sad, or not, a huge number of people actually -do- desire the cheaper dells. I don't understand them, and have tried to reason with a few of them, was successful in convincing maybe a handful to buy a mac instead, but, they exist, and in huge numbers. I have come across quite a number of people who really can't understand why anyone would want a better designed mac.

There's all kinds of people out there, and they tend to have different views on what is and isn't important in a computer/device.

I know you're talking about the US primarily.

You have to keep in mind though outside the US in many countries the service and support provided by Dell is much better than Apple... because in many countries Apple relies on third-party resellers and service centers, although phone support is the official Apple call centre.

In terms of the Streak though, nothing to bother about, really.

My 2 cents I'd thought I'd throw in there.
post #115 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Yet another capable device? Debatable.

Very capable OS? Yes, capable in potential.

Form factor that hits the sweet spot? Debatable.

iPad competitor? Yeah, maybe that's AppleInsider's spin.
post #116 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

With the obvious bulge I'll be sporting, this thing will likely make me a chick magnet. I'm gonna need bigger pockets.

LOL. BTW we can forget women purchasing this device (say goodbye to a lot of sales...) unless said women want to be perceived as trannies with that bulge in their pockets.
post #117 of 131
(nevermind... Dumb joke)
post #118 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

More Dell fail. It's as if they're completely retarded when it comes to the prestige tech markets.

Well, some companies start up, then work hard, establish their core business, then just milk that, letting other stuff just slide. The R&D department seems to be the same as the Marketing department nowadays. Announce vapour, maybe, maybe push out some real half-assed products, voila. "We're hip and cool and innovative and the future!! Yeahh really !!1!1!11"...
post #119 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjor View Post

Dell's entry into the tablet market was made official Tuesday with the Streak, previously shown at CES 2010 as a concept, now set to take on Apple's iPad in the U.K. in early June, and in the U.S. later this summer.

"<insert name here> - THE iPad Killer"
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #120 of 131
Deleted!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dell announces Streak, a 5-inch Android-based iPad competitor