or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft's Office 2011 beta 3 for Mac gets new icons

Microsoft's Office 2011 beta 3 for Mac gets new icons

post #1 of 43
Microsoft has issued a third release of its private beta program for Office 2011 for Mac, which is expected to reach production by the end of the year.

The new release overhauls the suite's icons, which haven't significantly changed since Office v.X appeared in late 2001 with bubbly translucent icons intended to reflect the Aqua appearance of Mac OS X.

The new 2011 icons are toned down and more serious looking (below). Also refined are the splash screens for each app.

The new suite works to bring more visual harmony between the Mac and Windows versions; Microsoft just released Office 2010, the Windows equivalent of the upcoming 2011 Mac version.

Additional coverage of the latest Office 2011 and the suite's historical development:

Road to Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: A New Hope
Road to Office 2011: New looks, support for Exchange, VBA
Road to Mac Office 2008: an introduction

post #2 of 43
lipstick on a pig
post #3 of 43
I think the Windows and Mac versions of Office should have the same icons.
It helps with Microsoft's branding and these very different icons do not.
post #4 of 43
I really don't care about the look of the icons...I just hope that when I click those icons I don't have to wait 14 minutes for their respective apps to open.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

lipstick on a pig

Yeah if they spent as much time on the product design as they do on the icons and the splash screen each time, they might have something worth buying someday.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The new 2011 icons are toned down and more serious looking (below). Also refined are the splash screens for each app. ...

It's kind of hilarious how they still do that thing Microsoft does where they include extra "products" that simply duplicate the capabilities of others, or are split off from last years "products."

There are only really four products in Office and there always has been. This time they have six icons, but three of them are about communicating via email or text or whatever. Outlook and Messenger and "communicator" are really all the same thing (or should be).

It kind of reminds me how they shift the function and grouping of the control panel icons in every Windows release so no one can find them and so that they appear to be all new etc.

Anyone tried "Microsoft Communicator" yet? I tried looking it up but Microsoft's own web page on the product produces an error and won't display.
post #7 of 43
The new icons are ugly. Although I am a fan of the aqua style in general, I also like the newer photo realistic style in newer versions of OS X. Microsoft had the matching aqua style in versions past, why do they have to ruin it with something that matches Windows XP instead of OS X? Even if they just take the Windows icons, they are nice and photo-realistic style and would work fine!

New splash screen sucks too. Beta 2 screen is awesome.
post #8 of 43
Worst Icons Ever......
post #9 of 43
... they think this will make a difference.

Also sad is that I will no longer be able to arrange my Office icons in the dock to spell PEWX.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Also sad is that I will no longer be able to arrange my Office icons in the dock to spell PEWX.

LOL....I do that as well.....too funny.
post #11 of 43
They're stylized, Aqua, and still evoke the brand of their component (ie, X for excel).

Given the clusterf*ck that was Office 2008 (No macros, seriously?), I'm still on 2004, but may move to 2011 if it's more stable a release than 2008 was.
post #12 of 43
am I the only one who likes the new icons?
post #13 of 43
Microsoft Communicator is for intra-business communication and on Windows at least, is pretty rubbish. It doesn't even support basics like sending files.

Plus, the way we have it set up at work, breaks every link you send by prefixing it with an underscore, forcing you to copy and paste the links into a browser. Apparently this is a security feature.

As for the icons - I prefer the new ones.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

No, but some people are a tad too harsh, they're just icons, fine ones at that.

In meantime, I'm still searching for that elusive Kool-Aid icon for my HD.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

LOL....I do that as well.....too funny.

A POX on both your houses.
post #16 of 43
Quote:

I hate Microsoft, but actually I like those new icons. Modernity, as it applies to graphic design, seems to be shifting at an absurdly-fast rate these days, so it's sometimes foolhardy to call something "modern." However, that's how I would describe these icons. The aqua set look dated to me, in comparison.

But as with logos, an icon is an icon. Its usefulness is determined not by the intrinsic properties of the design (should they exist at all), but by the properties it represents. In other words, it's the software, stupid!
post #17 of 43
If, and ever Office 2004 quits running under Rosetta (or Rosetta is just dumped completely) I will be moving to OpenOffice. Thanks but no thanks.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

No, but some people are a tad too harsh, they're just icons, fine ones at that.

In meantime, I'm still searching for that elusive Kool-Aid icon for my HD.

Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Yeah, but on the other hand....they've made it possible for you to have COX on your dock
post #20 of 43
Quote:

Worst Icons Ever......

This may be a bit strong, but these new icons most certainly come close.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_k View Post

Yeah, but on the other hand....they've made it possible for you to have COX on your dock

Seriously, is anybody going to use Outlook? I am very happy with Apple's own Mail and how it seamlessly syncs with my iPhone and iPad. Does Outlook offer that but if not, why would anybody use it?
post #22 of 43
It's great to have Office on the platform, but the real test will be pricing.

Between Pages, Google Apps and OpenOffice, MS Office will have to be very competitively priced if it is to remain a force on the Mac platform. The Business Edition should come in a 5 or 10-pack for small businesses.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #23 of 43
Must be trying to reflect the ribbon motif.
post #24 of 43
The icons do look nice and after having scored a copy of the beta 2 from bittorrent I can assure you the new version is pretty nice and coming from me that's saying a lot.

I want to join the beta program because I'm already beta testing Office 2010 on Windows for work but Microsoft hasn't opened the beta program up. I want a legit version.

Does beta 3 open up to IT people yet?
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Microsoft Communicator is for intra-business communication and on Windows at least, is pretty rubbish. It doesn't even support basics like sending files.

Plus, the way we have it set up at work, breaks every link you send by prefixing it with an underscore, forcing you to copy and paste the links into a browser. Apparently this is a security feature.

That's incorrect. Communicator does support file transfer and active hyperlinks. I suspect your system admin has disabled these features through group policy.
post #26 of 43
Ballmer,

Do yourself a favor and study GM.

Even they were (barely) above throwing ugly new hubcaps on something & calling it a redesign.
post #27 of 43
Only these guys can spent aeons to develop a few decent icons and interface for a suite that's 20 years old.

Lets see if they in terms of speed it's a dog in performance.
post #28 of 43
btw, they are trying to go for minimalism with these icons.

Let me break it to them, minimalism doesn't equate to minimal effort or taste.

These look something from an app from an obscure linux distro, that was put together in somebody's basement.

Most os x icons aim for realism, 3rd dimension properties, or a fun yet not tacky descriptive picture. And these guys opt for some flat, crap "ribbon" letters, non 3d, not realistic, and that are neither fun nor professional looking, but somewhere in the nondescript, generic uninspired in between area.
post #29 of 43
Quote:

i've seen worse...
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah if they spent as much time on the product design as they do on the icons and the splash screen each time, they might have something worth buying someday.

Yes, because the graphic designers' team that does the icons are the same guys that do the software design...
post #31 of 43
Whyizzit that with all the money and (supposed) talent, MS still can design a decent set of icons!
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

lipstick on a pig

Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

MS Office Communicator 2007 R2 is supporting sending files, among other typical communicator features (instant messages, call, video call, email...). We have started using it recently in our office, but just basics for now, so I can't tell how good/feature rich it really is (compared to other solutions).
post #34 of 43
In my opinion they (the icons) don't necessarily look better.. just different.
post #35 of 43
Quote:

Worst Icons Ever......

Couldn't agree more. By comparison, the old ones look like a work of art!
post #36 of 43
These remind me of the plastic alphabet toys you buy for your 2-year-old to start teaching them the alphabet. Doesn't exactly say "professional applications" to me.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yes, because the graphic designers' team that does the icons are the same guys that do the software design...

1) I was talking about the team as a whole.
2) The people doing the icons actually *should* be the same people doing all the UI elements.
3) If there is any kind of big separation between the UI artists and the coders, there is a problem.

A good software team thinks about UI all the time as an integral part of the product. A team that just "dresses up" what the coders do with some graphics at the end is not doing it right. A team that doesn't sweat every pixel of the UI is not likely to get a good product out the door.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Seriously, is anybody going to use Outlook? I am very happy with Apple's own Mail and how it seamlessly syncs with my iPhone and iPad. Does Outlook offer that but if not, why would anybody use it?

I have some serious issues with mail, so yes. I'm looking forward to Outlook.

The inability to choose a default certificate per account, no read receipt functionality, buggy smartcard encryption implementation... Yea - I'm hoping Outlook addresses these basics.
post #39 of 43
In my opinion, the Word icon looks like an hand with two fingers up (second and fifth finger) that is a "sign of the horns".
In Italy this means "take that!", it's not so polite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns

Nice way to begin, Office 2011 for Mac
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyPhelps View Post

I have some serious issues with mail, so yes. ...

What might these serious issues be?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft's Office 2011 beta 3 for Mac gets new icons