or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google Chrome browser for Mac leaves beta

Google Chrome browser for Mac leaves beta

post #1 of 64
Google has announced the first stable release of Chrome for Mac users, now available for download.

Mike Smith, the product manager of Google's Chrome Team, said in a blog announcement, "Today, Im happy to announce that Google Chrome for Mac is being promoted out of beta to our stable channel.

"We believe that it provides not only the stability, performance and polish that every Mac user expects, but also a seamless native Mac application experience that Mac users will feel instantly at home with."

The new release can be downloaded from google.com/chrome. It requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later, and only supports Intel Macs.

Chrome is based on the WebKit rendering engine and APIs maintained by Apple, but in contrast to Safari, it offers a variety of unique features such as extension plugins that can modify how the browser works.
post #2 of 64
Sweet.
post #3 of 64
is it going to collect my web surfing habits silently?
post #4 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

More than likely
post #5 of 64
If you use Little Snitch, you will see the Google's Chrome likes to call home quite a bit. So much, that I gave up on it. There is no need for it to report home so much. Safari calls home like once a week to check for updates. Chrome calls home like ten times each time the application starts.

Further, it's Java implementation is horrible.

Quote:

post #6 of 64
Good news for people with Macs that would like more choice in browsers. The stable version of Chrome is solid.

Also, as will probably be demonstrated below me, I love it on how ANY news on this site is automatically criticized if it is not a product created by Apple.
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If you use Little Snitch, you will see the Google's Chrome likes to call home quite a bit. So much, that I gave up on it. There is no need for it to report home so much. Safari calls home like once a week to check for updates. Chrome calls home like ten times each time the application starts.

Further, it's Java implementation is horrible.

It can call home all it wants. Its speed and features make it the best user experience available in a web browser! It is also updated often. Sometimes more than once a day. Bugs that pop up are squished faster than any other browser.
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by clexman View Post

It can call home all it wants. Its speed and features make it the best user experience available in a web browser! It is also updated often. Sometimes more than once a day. Bugs that pop up are squished faster than any other browser.

To each his own; Chrome is indeed powerful and fast, but your privacy is at stake when you use it. Personally I will stick to Safari for now.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #9 of 64
Gimpy adblocking (it downloads ads, then blocks them) and no RSS live bookmarks are a dealbreaker for me. The plugin APIs don't allow for either to be effective.

I'm using chrome right now on my AMD Geode 500mhz japanese micro-laptop, simply because it is the only browser with acceptable speed on this incredibly under powered machine, but in O X and Windows I use Firefox exclusively.
post #10 of 64
Quote:

The speed of modern browser engines, including Firefox and IE9, are fast enough that consumers should be choosing on other merits. For example, i use Safari on Mac and IE8 with Chrome Frame on Windows as I like a strong integration between my browser and OS, and don't care for extensions.

I do like how fast the Chrome app opens and dislike Safari's speed in this area, but since moving to an SSD and having it opened for days at a time means that this is null point for me now. I'll give Chrome another try if and when they can get a better bookmark and history setup.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #11 of 64
Why do I need another application to perform the
same task that Safari does so well?

Glad there are choices for those that might want it.

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #12 of 64
Quote:

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
post #13 of 64
Bothered
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Gimpy adblocking (it downloads ads, then blocks them) and no RSS live bookmarks are a dealbreaker for me. The plugin APIs don't allow for either to be effective.

I'm using chrome right now on my AMD Geode 500mhz japanese micro-laptop, simply because it is the only browser with acceptable speed on this incredibly under powered machine, but in O X and Windows I use Firefox exclusively.

On the Mac side, try GlimmerBlocker (for both Safari and Chrome - it's a proxy that does the blocking) - works just fine. Yes, the Chrome Adblock is pretty terrible.
post #15 of 64
I have a few words for you:

"I'm with coco-a"
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

Good news for people with Macs that would like more choice in browsers. The stable version of Chrome is solid.

Also, as will probably be demonstrated below me, I love it on how ANY news on this site is automatically criticized if it is not a product created by Apple.

Since you criticized it, was demonstrated BY you.
post #17 of 64
Safari is incredibly simple and fast, all I need, there's also that plug-in: glims that I like.
post #18 of 64
Can it really be that fast, like the commercials?
post #19 of 64
i like. it's like firefox's power and features with a safari style interface and smaller footprint. will be my main browser from now on if all goes well

thanks for notes about privacy, will look into it (little snitch)
post #20 of 64
I didn't think it was possible for a piece of Google software to leave Beta.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #21 of 64
Quote:

[Google Chrome] is also updated often. Sometimes more than once a day. Bugs that pop up are squished faster than any other browser.

Will this still be true now that it is out of beta? I mean the beta for the next version will probably be updated swiftly, but stable usually means updated infrequently and only when needed.

Also, if you like cutting edge, have you tried Webkit nightlies? http://nightly.webkit.org/ It uses the same interface as Safari, and even shares bookmarks, so you can always go back incase the latest nightly is too buggy.
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google Chrome browser for Mac leaves beta

Really?

Installed it for the first time, started it up, after a minute or so (while I was still browsing through the preferences settings), this message popped up. Within a few minutes, it popped up at least five more times (with me even not having tried to visit any page, just having an empty tab open).

BTW, I do run a pre-alpha Camino build as my main browser and Webkit nightlies as a secondary browser.
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I didn't think it was possible for a piece of Google software to leave Beta.

post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Since you criticized it, was demonstrated BY you.

Reading comprehension helps. I did not criticize it; I praised it.
post #25 of 64
Quote:

Google admitted to collecting data about people's online activities from unsecured Wi-Fi networks over the past four years.

AFTER GETTING CAUGHT!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19639..._thinking.html

Never EVER Trust Google Software and Services.
post #26 of 64
Another nice picture:
post #27 of 64
And to conclude the trilogy:
post #28 of 64
In the past, only Safari works with VoiceOver. Only Camino and Safari allow for Speech to work from the Services menu. Because speech is a must have for me, Safari is my only browser.
post #29 of 64
Everyone seems to talk about browser speed. Do you really able to anticipate 1/100 of a second difference? Speed depends on your broadband not on your browser.

Good it finally is stable. It was a good browser even in beta, just not my type. It has many features but doesn't look sexy, i prefer sexy over functional.

P.S. same as in female market, sexy over smart is 99.9% choice
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Why do I need another application to perform the
same task that Safari does so well?

Because Safari is a horribly under-featured browser build on top a good web engine? Safari has almost nothing going for it except its excellent history.
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If you use Little Snitch, you will see the Google's Chrome likes to call home quite a bit. So much, that I gave up on it.

Chrome does only transmit usage data to Google if you opt-in. You're simply spreading FUD.
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Safari is incredibly simple and fast, all I need, there's also that plug-in: glims that I like.

Glims does come in handy.
No idea why apple doesn't implement save tabs on exit.
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Chrome does only transmit usage data to Google if you opt-in. You're simply spreading FUD.

i think his point was that it doesn't ask you if you want it to call home and i couldn't find a way to opt out of that when i installed a beta a while back. little snitch of course caught the faceless 'google updater' running in the background, and that was the reason i stopped using it right away. granted, that was a while back, i don't know if that's still the case.
post #34 of 64
I recently switched from Safari to Chrome for the following reasons:

-Youtube and Safari do not seem to jive as of late, even with the latest Safari update.

-Yahoo mail (which is just awful IMO, but I'm stuck w/ it) just gets hung up constantly.

- There are certain allowances in chrome which I prefer, such as the ability to have icons in the bookmarks bar. Maybe that is an option in Safari that I am unaware of?

I was a loyal Safari user for years and haven't abandoned it completely, but for now, Chrome is the deal.
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i think his point was that it doesn't ask you if you want it to call home and i couldn't find a way to opt out of that when i installed a beta a while back.

Yet there is a major difference between an updater checking if there are updates for an application or "OMG IT STEALZ MA PRIVATES" FUD which is brought into position against Chrome each time there's a lack of better arguments. One can of course debate most splendidly if Google should update the application automatically in order to protect its majority of unsuspecting users from flaws in a timely manner. :P
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Everyone seems to talk about browser speed. Do you really able to anticipate 1/100 of a second difference? Speed depends on your broadband not on your browser.

Thats what I thought before I started using Chrome. I always blamed my internet connection, but after Chrome I realized it was the browser and not the connection.

I use Chrome 6.x on Windows and all the complaints listed here have been covered. I love the bookmark sync and just using icons for my bookmarks. The sync also syncs your preferences. I go from laptop to desktop all day and love that even my history is synced.
post #37 of 64
I really like Chrome's ability to sync bookmarks across multiple operating systems. That's the biggest reason why I use it.
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I really like Chrome's ability to sync bookmarks across multiple operating systems. That's the biggest reason why I use it.

You can do that with Safari and Firefox. Firefox requires a plug-in and Safari requires Mobile Me, but also gets the added benefit of syncing to other browsers besides Safari on Windows.

My issue with Firefox for Mac is that it follows Safari's Bookmarks Bar setup, using only names and not allowing for Favicons. I like to have many items in the Bar and prefer to have only the icon represented as it's smaller while still being easily understood. I use Safari as my primary browser so it's not a deal breaker, but i wish I had the option as it increases my bookmark capacity tremendously.
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

Also, if you like cutting edge, have you tried Webkit nightlies? http://nightly.webkit.org/ It uses the same interface as Safari, and even shares bookmarks, so you can always go back incase the latest nightly is too buggy.

That's because it IS Safari. It's just called WebKit to distinguish itself from the full release version.
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Good it finally is stable. It was a good browser even in beta, just not my type. It has many features but doesn't look sexy, i prefer sexy over functional.

P.S. same as in female market, sexy over smart is 99.9% choice

Sexy loses looks fast whereas smart is always the best bet. Sexy gets boring real quick but you are never bored with smart.

Sexy AND smart no that's the combination to go for. In that case Safari wins hands down.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google Chrome browser for Mac leaves beta