or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › 40 Mercedes-Benz dealers now using iPads to sell cars

40 Mercedes-Benz dealers now using iPads to sell cars

post #1 of 60
Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz is equipping 40 dealerships with iPads in an effort to more effectively sell and lease cars, keeping customers comfortably in the vehicle while handling a credit application.

According to a report by the Wall Street Journal, a fleet of iPads loaded with the company's MB Advantage app will enable dealers to pull up the latest discounts or rebates and complete a credit application for potential customers on the spot, rather than requiring sales people to lead the customer to a desk with a PC.

Andreas Hinrichs, vice president of marketing, told the Wall Street Journal in an interview, "We wanted to bring the mobile revolution into the dealership. The iPad is consumer centric but there is a business side to it as well."

Lease returns via iPad

The company's iPad app also allows dealers to review the condition of vehicles returned at the end of their lease while the driver is present.

Bernie Moreno, the owner of a Mercedes-Benz dealership in North Olmsted, Ohio, told the Wall Street Journal that formerly, "when someone came in we would go out with a pad and a pencil and scribble down all the problems, like a scratch here or a dent there and then go back to the desk and enter everything in the computer."

Moreno said he started using his own iPad on a limited basis to handle leased vehicles, and is now among the dealers in the company's official iPad pilot program. When the customer arrives, Moreno carries his iPad with him outside to do returns on the spot.

"Now I can do it all right in front of the customer and it just gives us more of a sense of credibility," Moreno said. The report indicated the company's pilot program may eventually result in Mercedes-Benz Financial distributing iPads to all of its 350 US dealers.
post #2 of 60
An iPad gives you credibility!
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #3 of 60
This is just the beginning of the end of the laptop computer. Due to the touch screen interface the iPads will proliferate in the business world. When someone can do their job on the fly standing up and interacting with customers they will no longer need to have separate laptop computers.

It's only been a month and there is dedicated software for many business available. You can bet there are many other proprietary programs being written for iPads that won't be in the App store.
post #4 of 60
I wonder why they are not using the hp slate or the ms courrier?

But seriously, there are so many applications for the ipad in everyday life, the fact that with an easy to write app the screen adapts to any on screen interface you might want, your own buttons, forms, etc. etc. and the form factor make it ideal.

Next steps should be even better security and ecryption (iphone os will cater to an extent to these) and the ability to transfer any info from within an app to another ipad with the same app on the fly in an ad hoc bluetooth or wifi network established on the spot. So I pull out my ipad and someone can pass me a file as seamlessly as they would any physical item.

I visualise this as one button connect to ipad in proximity for the server, an accept button for the receiver, and a swipe gesture to move the file.
post #5 of 60
I wonder if the "streak" aka "ipad competitor" will be able to compete here LOL!!!!!
post #6 of 60
Will any WIndows or Android-based wanna-be tablets be used by Mercedes? Of course not. There will iPad, and there will be the tablets. Nothing more.Just like we currently have the iPhone, and the not-so-smartphones.

iPad killers? No chance. There is no serious challengers. Google wants to be everything to everyone, just like Microsoft. We will see who remains in the game 3yrs from now.

Jus a bunch of Wanna-Bes!!!
post #7 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay_bobo View Post

I wonder if the "streak" aka "ipad competitor" will be able to compete here LOL!!!!!

What's wrong with you?

"I can carry a 'steak' everywhere"

it's gotta be betta

EDIT: "The New Dell Steak" - take it with you!
post #8 of 60
I'm actually starting to feel a bit of pity for the trolls that continue to rage against the iPhone and iPad. Every day, it seems, more bad news piles up on them. They've run out of theories as to why someone would buy an iPad instead of a netbook or laptop. In a sign of their frustration I'm starting to see posts on forums that now rage against the consumers themselves, calling them simpletons and morons for buying these devices. To be absolutely convinced that you are superior in your opinions about technology and to have literally millions of people ignore your arguments must frost their family jewels really bad.
post #9 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

What's wrong with you?

"I can carry a 'steak' everywhere"

it's gotta be betta

EDIT: "The New Dell Steak" - take it with you!

Boys lets be fair to them, it's not a rump or sirloin steak.

It's a streak.

Inspired by the losing streak they are on!
post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Boys lets be fair to them, it's not a rump or sirloin steak.

It's a streak.

Inspired by the losing streak they are on!

OK, you win

"The New Dell Losing Streak" - take it with you!! LOL
post #11 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Will any WIndows or Android-based wanna-be tablets be used by Mercedes? Of course not. There will iPad, and there will be the tablets. Nothing more.Just like we currently have the iPhone, and the not-so-smartphones.

iPad killers? No chance. There is no serious challengers. Google wants to be everything to everyone, just like Microsoft. We will see who remains in the game 3yrs from now.

Jus a bunch of Wanna-Bes!!!

xerox machines have been working full time at dell's and schmidt's office...so we'll be seeing all the copycats soon from google and dell and whoever else...
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I'm actually starting to feel a bit of pity for the trolls that continue to rage against the iPhone and iPad. Every day, it seems, more bad news piles up on them. They've run out of theories as to why someone would buy an iPad instead of a netbook or laptop. In a sign of their frustration I'm starting to see posts on forums that now rage against the consumers themselves, calling them simpletons and morons for buying these devices. To be absolutely convinced that you are superior in your opinions about technology and to have literally millions of people ignore your arguments must frost their family jewels really bad.

Those trolls are probably playing with their iPads as we speak
post #13 of 60
brilliant! I think you pull out a 'laptop' now in a sales situation and it induces the same reaction a long time ago when a salesman would pull out a long contract & a pen. The customers antenna perk up and not in a good way!

I plan to get a iPad for my real estate listing presentations. For awhile customers are going to be wowed by the iPad which is half the battle!

Best
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

xerox machines have been working full time at dell's and schmidt's office...so we'll be seeing all the copycats soon from google and dell and whoever else...

Their biggest issue that I 've stressed elsewhere here a lot of times, is that they cant undercut apple in terms of price for even an inferior but comparable product. Hp had to put 1gb memory in to handle 7, an atom, have half the battery life, no ips screen, smaller screen etc. etc.

Apple has been supremely aggresive in their pricing, leveraging their in house cpu expertise, low prices for components because of the volumes they buy, battery expertise, unibody expertise, the iphone os ecosystem etc. etc. And they cut the price down to the extent that wiser people in the industry such as acer actually pulled out of the tablet market, and said so. They did this so they would have another ipod phenomenon (with different parameters of course), they ll come to dominate the market in a year from now, get to 80% again, and allow the competition a 20% to squeeze in.
post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Funny and probably correct....I know I would be!
post #16 of 60
As I was reading this news, I kept seeing Ballmer reading this same news and then reaching for some Maalox...
post #17 of 60
Quote:

Their biggest issue that I 've stressed elsewhere here a lot of times, is that they cant undercut apple in terms of price for even an inferior but comparable product. Hp had to put 1gb memory in to handle 7, an atom, have half the battery life, no ips screen, smaller screen etc. etc.

Apple has been supremely aggresive in their pricing, leveraging their in house cpu expertise, low prices for components because of the volumes they buy, battery expertise, unibody expertise, the iphone os ecosystem etc. etc. And they cut the price down to the extent that wiser people in the industry such as acer actually pulled out of the tablet market, and said so. They did this so they would have another ipod phenomenon (with different parameters of course), they ll come to dominate the market in a year from now, get to 80% again, and allow the competition a 20% to squeeze in.

Very very strong points. Like the iPod, the iPad has set the the Gold Standard at a low price point (which will only get lower). This prevents competitors from competing the only way they can - price. As I've said here before - it's now a foot race. Can Apple capture enough market share before another company with great marketing or one cool feature gets a foot in the door. If Apple gets ahead - they will stay ahead.
post #18 of 60
Quote:

I agree. It's remarkable that Apple's iPad, a first get product, forced MS to cancel their Courier and HP to delay their Slate. Both companies just looked at the iPad and said, 'Crap, Apple's iPad is years ahead of us, so we better not release our first gen product because it'll be an embarrassment!'

I still think MS's clunky OS and Mobile software has hurt PC manufacturer's, business users and personal users across the board so tremendously that it's unquantifiable!
post #19 of 60
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree. It's remarkable that Apple's iPad, a first get product, forced MS to cancel their Courier and HP to delay their Slate.

If something that never existed can be cancelled, then I am canceling my plans to buy a pet unicorn.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #21 of 60
Meanwhile, how well integrated are iPod/iPhone connectors in the Mercedes cars themselves?

(I have no idea.)
post #22 of 60
we are months away from where your mercedes will be 'talking to you' transmitting data directly to your iPad! Think of the animations Mercedes could do with engine graphics and statistics and maintenance communication, etc., etc.,

Have you seen this video on the Apple website for the iPad App 'Elements.' I know it's just the periodic table but the animations are superb. This is how magazines, textbooks and Apps like the Mercedes will be presented very soon.

Who wants the WSJ or NYT to look like a Newspaper on a 10" piece of paper?

Take a look. The video is in the mid left side of the screen...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/apps-for-ipad/#elements

Best
post #23 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That explains iPads only having 92% approval... 8% are owned by trolls.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Meanwhile, how well integrated are iPod/iPhone connectors in the Mercedes cars themselves?

(I have no idea.)

I hope Toyota do too then someone can make an app that can operate the brakes and cruise control.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If something that never existed can be cancelled, then I am canceling my plans to buy a pet unicorn.

Come now you're an intelligent guy....you know there are many stages in the development of any product it starts as a concept....OK MS cancelled their 'concept' tablet! Better?
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hope Toyota do too then someone can make an app that can operate the brakes and cruise control.

Yep, the Toyotas, 'just keep going and going and going!'
post #27 of 60
The iPad has so many potential markets that it can address. The possibilities are endless...
post #28 of 60
"The iPad is a consumption device."
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

"The iPad is a consumption device."

Steve told us what the iPad was able to do... movies, songs, tv shows, e-mail, web, apps, but he couldn't tell us what the iPad was capable of doing... he left that to the rest of us!

Go Mercedes... added to the list of think different companies asking innovative app designers hired to make the iPad the company's own 'mobile consumption device'...

It's no longer, "Mr. Magoo! You've done it again!"

It's 'Apple! You've done it again!'

/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #30 of 60
If Apple wants the pilot to be successful they had better resolve the WiFi issues extremely quickly. Could also be nice in the service garage, eliminating the need for the tech's PC...

But, as it is today, the WiFi would just be a mess to deal with. Maybe it works somewhat better on a Cisco fabric than the residential stuff.
post #31 of 60
Apple is doomed!
post #32 of 60
Quote:

we are months away from where your mercedes will be 'talking to you' transmitting data directly to your iPad! Think of the animations Mercedes could do with engine graphics and statistics and maintenance communication, etc., etc.,

Have you seen this video on the Apple website for the iPad App 'Elements.' I know it's just the periodic table but the animations are superb. This is how magazines, textbooks and Apps like the Mercedes will be presented very soon.

Who wants the WSJ or NYT to look like a Newspaper on a 10" piece of paper?

Take a look. The video is in the mid left side of the screen...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/apps-for-ipad/#elements

Best

Agree...Elements is one of my fav apps. Wonderfully creative. Many good memories of Chemistry classes
post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!

Just curious to know if this phrase was first uttered by pundits or Apple haters?
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

In my case, it's that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that I'm walking away from......
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

As I was reading this news, I kept seeing Ballmer reading this same news and then reaching for some Maalox...

...and crying over his Zune.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcmh View Post

Just curious to know if this phrase was first uttered by pundits or Apple haters?

Both.
post #37 of 60
Quote:

Come now you're an intelligent guy....you know there are many stages in the development of any product it starts as a concept....OK MS cancelled their 'concept' tablet! Better?

In Microsoft's case, the first step in product development is pretending that they're going to develop the product. The second step is discontinuing pretending that they are going to develop the product. The only surprise is that anyone still believes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In my case, it's that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that I'm walking away from......

Darn. I was going to ask for half.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #38 of 60
What ever happened to the NAV system Apple was supposedly designing for Mercedes Benz?

I can think of several apps (Around Me, Now Playing come immediately to mind) that would be perfect for a NAV system based on iPhone OSX.

I don't know why Apple don't make something like this. Surely they can do better than MS Sync (to be fair I've read it is not bad).
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

(I have no idea.)

'08 C300 has steering wheel controls for iPod however the front passenger can't work iPod unlike CDs or the radio that are controlled from the center console. May be they fixed iPod integration controls for 2010 model year - there was a letter from MB offering to upgrade the audio for some low price around $4K.

iPhone paired just fine over the Bluetooth. In fact MB has one of the best hands-free system using real numeric keys instead of voice-controlled phone in some other cars.

Back to the topic about the selling cars with iPads, it seems MB just started reworking www.mbusa.com site from Flash to HTML and right now I can see just four most latest models via mobile Safari on iPhone. Can't get to any other MB model on iPhone. Still better than Flash-only MB mobile connectivity site: http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/..._passenger.php
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoma View Post

Agree...Elements is one of my fav apps. Wonderfully creative. Many good memories of Chemistry classes

Cheers!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › 40 Mercedes-Benz dealers now using iPads to sell cars