or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rejected OLED screen for next iPhone, developed backup handset
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rejected OLED screen for next iPhone, developed backup handset

post #1 of 138
Thread Starter 
Apple reportedly explored the possibility of adding an OLED screen to its forthcoming next-generation iPhone, but ultimately rejected the feature for a variety of reasons, and will stick with an LCD IPS display. The company has also allegedly developed a minor iPhone upgrade as a backup plan in case of production issues.

Taiwanese industry publication Digitimes published a conversation with its senior analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo, on Wednesday, in which he broke down the numerous rumors regarding Apple's fourth-generation handset.

With regards to the display, the interview revealed that Apple spoke with Samsung about active matrix OLED panels as far back as in the development of the iPhone 3GS, released last summer. But supply issues were reportedly only one part of the problem with OLED for Apple.

"AMOLED also has display weaknesses," Kuo said. "(Samsung Mobile Display) uses PenTile technology developed by Clairvoyante to produce AMOLED, which is less suitable for displaying text. With Apple quite keen on pushing e-reading businesses, AMOLED may not be the best solution at the moment."

Originally released for the iPad, Apple's iBooks application will make its way to the iPhone with the introduction of iPhone OS 4 this summer. iBooks includes the iBookstore, Apple's digital marketplace for books. The new iPhone application was highlighted as one of the key features of iPhone OS 4 at the operating system upgrade's unveiling in April.

In February, a scientific analysis of the Nexus One's OLED screen found that it was soundly beaten by the LCD display on Apple's iPhone 3GS. Dr. Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate Technologies, found that the Nexus One's bright, eye-catching display also has lots of noise of artifacts, and doesn't accurately reproduce colors.

Though it reportedly will not have an OLED screen, the new iPhone is rumored to have the same in-plane switching (IPS) technology for superior viewing angles found in the 9.7-inch display of the iPad. The screen will also reportedly include fringe-field switching, or FFS, technology, which is said to improve the device's e-book reader functions.

In his discussion with DigiTimes, Kuo also said that Apple began work on the fourth-generation iPhone -- codenamed N90 -- at the end of 2008, but Apple actually has another project, dubbed N91, which is a lesser upgrade.

"It's a parallel product to back up the N90 in case there are major delays due to significant modifications in casing, display resolution, digital camera support and so forth," he said.

Finally, he noted the new iPhone will feature Apple's custom ARM-based A4 processor, built on the Cortex A8 architecture -- the same processor found inside the iPad. Apple did not upgrade to the multi-core Cortex A9 reference design because it requires support at the operating system level to take advantage of the greater horsepower.

"Since the launch schedule of the Cortex A9 processor is estimated for year's end and iPhone 4.0 is not ready to fully utilize a multi-core processor, the A4 is the most likely candidate," Kuo said.
post #2 of 138
That was a wise decision by Apple.
post #3 of 138
I guess the backup plan is standard procedure, like they did with the iPod Touch last year. They are expected to announce a new iPhone, so they will have to deliver. Imagine the outrage if apple didn't announce an iPhone on the 7th ? (not so funny actually, because I want it!!)

Maybe the 3GS was their back-up model last year?

Just a thought: as iPhone OS 4.0 still seems to be in beta, how long would it take to put it on iPhones and ship those, as I guess the new ones will not ship with some temporary solutions and you will have to do an update first thing when you buy it. Just wondering how the impact of this will be on the launch date. Any thoughts on that ?
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #4 of 138
Good! But I do hope that they are using a better LCD quality, like IPS or FFS, so long as they have more battery life, too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

I guess the backup plan is standard procedure, like they did with the iPod Touch last year. They are expected to announce a new iPhone, so they will have to deliver. Imagine the outrage if apple didn't announce an iPhone on the 7th ? (not so funny actually, because I want it!!)

Maybe the 3GS was their back-up model last year?

Just a thought: as iPhone OS 4.0 still seems to be in beta, how long would it take to put it on iPhones and ship those, as I guess the new ones will not ship with some temporary solutions and you will have to do an update first thing when you buy it. Just wondering how the impact of this will be on the launch date. Any thoughts on that ?

1) If the 3GS was their "back-up model" what was their original choice for the iPhone and why didn't they release it?

2) The only reason that a new iPhone is inevitable, besides the historical elements, is the lack of supply of current iPhones.

3) Can you restate your "thought"? All Apple has to do is send the GM to the factory and use that for the first batch. It's not uncommon for an x.x.1 update to come a few days after launch. I expect the GM to hit after the next Beta.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 138
My favourite bit was this:

Quote:
Apple has requested memory module suppliers to provide both 256MB (used in iPhone 3GS) and 512MB RAM for compatibility tests. According to our internal tests, iPhone 4.0 Beta is quite memory hungry compared to iPhone 3.0, and with more complex apps, increased multi-tasking needs and a 5-mega-pixel camera built in, the iPhone 4 needs 523MB RAM.

So how is the 11MB shortfall going to be made up?

Looks like it will need to be software optimisations.
post #6 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) What do you mean "backup plan"?

Backup plan = back-up phone in case something goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) If the 3GS was their "back-up model" what was their original choice for the iPhone and why didn't they release it?

Maybe the new design with fewer tweaks than this year (No front facing camera and stuff like that). I actually have no idea how long it takes to bring this kind of product to market, so if it started in 2008, I thought it might have been planned for the 2009 release if it goes well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) The only reason that a new iPhone is inevitable, besides the historical elements, is the lack of supply of current iPhones.

Sorry, I don't get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

4) Can you restate your "thought"? All Apple has to do is send the GM to the factory and use that for the first batch. It's not uncommon for an x.x.1 update to come a few days after launch. I expect the GM to hit after the next Beta.

I am hoping for an early release, so I am trying to speculate on the release dates possible. When they sell the new iPhone, it obviously comes with the GM. So my question is, how long does it take to put the GM, or the actual software, on the phones and ship them. Do they have those things lying around waiting to get the OS copied on the memory and then just to package it and ship? And if thats the case, how long does this procedure take in general. I mean they will need a couple of million units for the first week(s).

So if there is another beta coming next tuesday ( 1st, for example), then I guess they will have the GM by next friday (4th). So if they want to launch the friday after that (the 11th), I guess it will be to short a time span to do so. I guess in that case, even 2 weeks (18th) will not be feasible, would it ?
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #7 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

My favourite bit was this:

Quote:
Apple has requested memory module suppliers to provide both 256MB (used in iPhone 3GS) and 512MB RAM for compatibility tests. According to our internal tests, iPhone 4.0 Beta is quite memory hungry compared to iPhone 3.0, and with more complex apps, increased multi-tasking needs and a 5-mega-pixel camera built in, the iPhone 4 needs 523MB RAM.

So how is the 11MB shortfall going to be made up?

Looks like it will need to be software optimisations.

My testing has shown v4.0 to use less RAM compared to v3.1.3 on a 3GS. I have about 115MB free on my 3GS right now running v4.0. I'm sure the higher resolution will require more RAM from the GPU and the better HW will increase the average RAM usage per app as developers push the envelope, but the OS itself uses less.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 138
Apple definitely made the right decision here.

I bought and sold the nexus 1 inside of a month due the oled screen. Beautiful in ideal lighting conditions but nearly useless outside. Nice piece of hardware otherwise.
post #9 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My testing has shown v4.0 to use less RAM compared to v3.1.3 on a 3GS. I have about 115MB free on my 3GS right now running v4.0. I'm sure the higher resolution will require more RAM from the GPU and the better HW will increase the average RAM usage per app as developers push the envelope, but the OS itself uses less.


Didn't you sign an NDA?
post #10 of 138
I don't like the sound of "minor upgrade" as a backup plan. Not at all. I think that is actually complete crap.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #11 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

So how is the 11MB shortfall going to be made up?

I think you are making to many assumptions here unless you actually have a 4G iPhone in hand. I think you will find that mileage will vary when installed on different hardware. I suspect your numbers are not anywhere near the 2% accuracy you imply with the deficit of 11MB.
post #12 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple reportedly explored the possibility of adding an OLED screen to its forthcoming next-generation iPhone, but ultimately rejected the feature for a variety of reasons, and will stick with an LCD IPS display. ...

Wow. Apple making rational informed decisions about their products and not adding a crappy OLED display just because Engadget and Gizmodo want them to?

Who'da thunk it?
post #13 of 138
Gotta agree with Apple on this one. I have a Nexus One. Unless you set the screen brightness to the absolute highest level, it's unreadable outside.

That said, I wonder why Apple didn't go Super AMOLED. Those screens have overcome most of the flaws of OLED technology.
post #14 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't like the sound of "minor upgrade" as a backup plan. Not at all. I think that is actually complete crap.

Steady on. In the first place it's so completely unlikely to happen at this point since we've all seen the new design.

Secondly, with an industrial design project like the iPhone, the "backup" would almost certainly be either the same phone but with missing components that can't be sourced (like the missing camera on the iPod touch last year), or the previous form factor (plastic back 3Gs), with the new components fitted in because the new case design was a fail for some reason.

Either way, all they are doing here is giving you as close to the new model as can be gotten, (assuming there is something wrong with the production of the new model).

You would prefer to not get anything rather than a fallback plan where you get 90% of the thing?
post #15 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Gotta agree with Apple on this one. I have a Nexus One. Unless you set the screen brightness to the absolute highest level, it's unreadable outside.

That said, I wonder why Apple didn't go Super AMOLED. Those screens have overcome most of the flaws of OLED technology.

I suspect since it has less of a track record and I suspect supplying them in quantity would probably be an issue. Is it even available in the higher density that is claimed for the leaked 4G (double current density of 3GS I think)? Just a guess.
post #16 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Gotta agree with Apple on this one. I have a Nexus One. Unless you set the screen brightness to the absolute highest level, it's unreadable outside.

That said, I wonder why Apple didn't go Super AMOLED. Those screens have overcome most of the flaws of OLED technology.

I am wondering the same.. maybe a supply issue? The Samsung Galaxy S has the super AMOLED and is rumered to be heading to AT$T..
post #17 of 138
If it's true, it's nice to get a better screen, IPS is a great improvement, a surprising one because it almost hasn't been used in handheld devices before.
post #18 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think you are making to many assumptions here unless you actually have a 4G iPhone in hand. I think you will find that mileage will vary when installed on different hardware. I suspect your numbers are not anywhere near the 2% accuracy you imply with the deficit of 11MB.

What in the world are you getting at???

columbus was poking fun at a typo.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #19 of 138
Umm, he's only stating the obvious. It says it needs x amount and it only have y amount. What is he assuming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think you are making to many assumptions here unless you actually have a 4G iPhone in hand. I think you will find that mileage will vary when installed on different hardware. I suspect your numbers are not anywhere near the 2% accuracy you imply with the deficit of 11MB.
post #20 of 138
I'm just hoping 2 things:

1. That it's available the same day they announce it.

2. That the memory thing won't be an issue. My biggest gripe (almost my only one) with my current iPhone 3G is it seems to fill up the memory and bog down way too easily
post #21 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

I actually have no idea how long it takes to bring this kind of product to market, so if it started in 2008, I thought it might have been planned for the 2009 release if it goes well enough.

If they started "at the end of 2008" then getting it to shelves 6 month later would be phenomenally fast. So any committee and team Apple starts at the end of 2010 for the iPhone will be or the 2012 iPhone, at the earliest.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't get your point.

Historically, 3 generations of iPhones have all gone on sale within about a month's range of each other for the past 3 years. While this can change if components and production are halted for various logistical reasons, it's unlikely that Apple would halt production of the 3G and 3GS if the G4 iPhone was not, indeed, inevitable within a short time.

Quote:
I am hoping for an early release, so I am trying to speculate on the release dates possible. When they sell the new iPhone, it obviously comes with the GM. So my question is, how long does it take to put the GM, or the actual software, on the phones and ship them. Do they have those things lying around waiting to get the OS copied on the memory and then just to package it and ship? And if thats the case, how long does this procedure take in general. I mean they will need a couple of million units for the first week(s).

This can be easily researched. For example, iPhone v3.0 when GM on 08-JUNE-2009 and the 3G hit stores on 17-JUNE-2009. That is a 9 days.

They would have been making these devices for some time and then installing the OS after they get the go ahead, then boxing them up to ship.

Quote:
So if there is another beta coming next tuesday ( 1st, for example), then I guess they will have the GM by next friday (4th). So if they want to launch the friday after that (the 11th), I guess it will be to short a time span to do so. I guess in that case, even 2 weeks (18th) will not be feasible, would it ?

I'm expecting another Beta this week as the last one was just a over a week now. It could even go GM now as far as I'm concerned.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 138
While I agree with Apples decision to not go with the AMOLED, I would have to disagree with the previous posters who say the Nexus One is unreadable outside. I have had one since launch (along with an iPhone 3G), and as long as you leave the auto-brightness on, it is perfectly fine in 99% of outside conditions. As soon as you go to a set brightness, then yes, it is unreadable, but auto-brightness works great. Just felt like chiming in since I hear that all the time from fellow owners, and the majority of the time they arent using auto-brightness.

Also, RE: Apple Insider claiming the N1s screen was soundly beat in a scientific study is a little over-dramatic. There are known flaws with the study," the biggest being the N1s Gallery application has known color issues, so the article wasnt actually giving an accurate hardware vs. hardware comparison. The same gradient picture that looks bad in the article looks just fine when displayed in the Android browser. Well see if that issue gets fixed with 2.2.

Apple was on the right path by looking into Samsungs AMOLED screen, which really improves performance outside. Since that didnt work out, Apple made the right decision to hold off for now. If the more techy users of the N1s AMOLED screen have trouble using it outside and setting auto-brightness, then the casual users that Apple appeals too would definitely not be happy.

That said, an AMOLED screen looks so much better inside than a standard LCD that it really is only a matter of time before it gains widespread adoption. The best analogy I can give is to compare SD to HD. We always thought SD looked just fine, but once we all saw HD, SD looked rather dull from then on. I experience that same feeling when switching between my N1 and iPhone.

Definitely an interesting debate for geeks everywhere. I would encourage everyone to check out an AMOLED screen before passing judgement.
post #23 of 138
"In February, a scientific analysis of the Nexus One's OLED screen found that it was soundly beaten by the LCD display on Apple's iPhone 3GS"

Beaten if you rig the test. It was widely debunked at the time and it's frankly pathetic to see Apple Insider wheeling it out again.

There is a reason why AMOLED is gaining momentum at the expense of LCD, and it's certainly not because AMOLED is cheaper (it aint). Comparing the screen on my friend's Nexus One to my iPhone 3G is striking to say the least. His screen, putting the high resolution aside, is bright, vibrant, and actually can display black. My iPhone's screen is low contrast, dull, has horribly washed out blacks, and generally looks weak by comparison.

Of course Apple die hards will defend this decision to the end, until Jobs shows off an iPhone 5G next next with AMOLED, when it will of course be applauded as a game changer.
post #24 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Didn't you sign an NDA?

I'm not using the G4 iPhone and talking about it. I'm stating that it uses less RAM than v3.1.3. What trade secrets does that violate? Are competitors going "Why didn't we think to make our systems more resource efficient with each revision?" after reading my post? Even if Apple did have my name I think I'd be fine.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #25 of 138
If Plan A was the phone that Gizmodo got, and they end up having to go into production with Plan B, there will be riots. I don't think even Steve could spin that one at the keynote.

I definitely feel like the 3GS may have been Plan B. There were already serious rumors of a front-facing camera, and 5MP back camera back then. The good news is that if they were close to releasing that last year, it's a good bet they got it done for this year's model.
post #26 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Of course Apple die hards will defend this decision to the end, until Jobs shows off an iPhone 5G next next with AMOLED, when it will of course be applauded as a game changer.

I guarantee you that if Apple uses OLED it will not be the poor OLED used in the Nexus One. It sounds like you are getting hung up on an acronym and making a case that if Apple ever a better version of OLED, that doesn't yet exist in the market, that they are hypocrites, cheats and liars.

You also seem to be ignoring the long history of Apple choosing the best all around option, not the option that excels in one area but fails completely in others. There are many tests that clearly show the AMOLED used in the Nexus One is in many ways inferior to the iPhone's LCD.

BTW, competitors are moving to AMOLED because of the marketing hype behind it, not because they think it's better for the average user. This is a well worn idea. There have even been TV shows helping guys without personalities and confidence pickup up women by donning some ostentatious clothing so they can seem interesting. It's all a means to an end, it's just that some have more merit than others.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good! But I do hope that they are using a better LCD quality, like IPS or FFS, so long as they have more battery life, too.



1) If the 3GS was their "back-up model" what was their original choice for the iPhone and why didn't they release it?

2) The only reason that a new iPhone is inevitable, besides the historical elements, is the lack of supply of current iPhones.

3) Can you restate your "thought"? All Apple has to do is send the GM to the factory and use that for the first batch. It's not uncommon for an x.x.1 update to come a few days after launch. I expect the GM to hit after the next Beta.

It's not likely the 3GS was the backup model as it was advanced for that.

I'm interested in what was said about AMOLEd, as it agrees with what I've been saying. The Samsung is the only AMOLED that works outdoors, and is slightly better than a good, bright LCD. But to get that brightness, too many other compromises had to be made.

I imagine we'll see an AMOLED next year.
post #28 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are many tests that clearly show the AMOLED used in the Nexus One is in many ways inferior to the iPhone's LCD.

I would love to see these tests. Thanks!
post #29 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My testing has shown v4.0 to use less RAM compared to v3.1.3 on a 3GS. I have about 115MB free on my 3GS right now running v4.0. I'm sure the higher resolution will require more RAM from the GPU and the better HW will increase the average RAM usage per app as developers push the envelope, but the OS itself uses less.

I find it hard to believe that the iPhone would have more RAM than the new iPad.
post #30 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Gotta agree with Apple on this one. I have a Nexus One. Unless you set the screen brightness to the absolute highest level, it's unreadable outside.

That said, I wonder why Apple didn't go Super AMOLED. Those screens have overcome most of the flaws of OLED technology.

The Nexus One is suppoed to have a super AMOLED from Samsung.
post #31 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Of course Apple die hards will defend this decision to the end

Maybe they'll wait to see what the IPS LCD in the 4th gen looks like before judging?

I think it's funny you're mocking "Apple die hards" blindly defending this yet you're making the same factually irrelevant judgement by comparing the iPhone 3Gs LCD display to an OLED display when the article clearly states the iPhone 4th generation will be using a different display.
post #32 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

but Apple actually has another project, dubbed N91, which is a lesser upgrade.
"It's a parallel product to back up the N90 in case there are major delays due to significant modifications in casing, display resolution, digital camera support and so forth," he said.

I've been expecting ``Plan B'' upgrade since I first heard about a SOB, who sold the prototype to Gawker's mob.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #33 of 138
Interesting comments about iPhone OS not being multicore ready. I would have assumed that one of the advantages of using a desktop-class kernel is that it already contains features such as multicore support.

Multicore CPUs have been on ARM's roadmap for a long time. It's strikes as odd that the iPhone's software wasn't designed from the start with advanced chips taken into consideration.

Of course, this story could just be BS.
post #34 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I imagine we'll see an AMOLED next year.

If we do, I'd expect that we'll see a much darker UI emerge.

I looked for such markers in the current Betas but found none so I have to assume they either kept it very quiet (unlike the front-facign camera code) or that LCD will be used again this year.

There is a bit of a logistical issue here if Apple switches and the tech is still overly power-hungry for whites. 3rd-party devs will have to accommodate for the change in display technology.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

I would love to see these tests. Thanks!

Google it. Outdoor use, overall power consumption (when not using heavy blacks to compensate), and true colour recreation are just a few of the areas I find more important than buying on buzzwords.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Gotta agree with Apple on this one. I have a Nexus One. Unless you set the screen brightness to the absolute highest level, it's unreadable outside.

That said, I wonder why Apple didn't go Super AMOLED. Those screens have overcome most of the flaws of OLED technology.

probably have something to do with price and supply.

when you only make one phone a year, you might want it to at least be able to keep up with demand.
post #36 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP* View Post

If Plan A was the phone that Gizmodo got, and they end up having to go into production with Plan B, there will be riots. I don't think even Steve could spin that one at the keynote.

I definitely feel like the 3GS may have been Plan B. There were already serious rumors of a front-facing camera, and 5MP back camera back then. The good news is that if they were close to releasing that last year, it's a good bet they got it done for this year's model.

How do you judge whether a rumor is serious or not? How do you know a rumor is even true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not using the G4 iPhone and talking about it. I'm stating that it uses less RAM than v3.1.3. What trade secrets does that violate? Are competitors going "Why didn't we think to make our systems more resource efficient with each revision?" after reading my post? Even if Apple did have my name I think I'd be fine.

Isn't the developer NDA supposed to prevent people from talking about firmware that hasn't been put into wide release?
post #37 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I find it hard to believe that the iPhone would have more RAM than the new iPad.

It does seem unlikely.

On the other side of that, I'm still shocked that the iPad only came with 256MB RAM.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Isn't the developer NDA supposed to prevent people from talking about firmware that hasn't been put into wide release?

I am talking about RAM used by the firmware, not the firmware itself, so I'm going to call it a grey area. Plus, it's a lot less info than AI posts in their articles, which include specific details and screenshots. I think I'll be alright.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 138
Don't know why Apple has to be so picky about OLED technology. Who cares that it's not ready for primetime.

Just do it.

Microsoft did so with the Zune, and everyone else is jumping on the OLED bandwagon. They can use early adopters as a focus group, then fine tune it for the "real" version. They should also pre-announce it to gauge consumer interest, then ditch it if the feedback is less than stellar.
post #39 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

While I agree with Apples decision to not go with the AMOLED, I would have to disagree with the previous posters who say the Nexus One is unreadable outside. I have had one since launch (along with an iPhone 3G), and as long as you leave the auto-brightness on, it is perfectly fine in 99% of outside conditions. As soon as you go to a set brightness, then yes, it is unreadable, but auto-brightness works great. Just felt like chiming in since I hear that all the time from fellow owners, and the majority of the time they arent using auto-brightness.

Also, RE: Apple Insider claiming the N1s screen was soundly beat in a scientific study is a little over-dramatic. There are known flaws with the study," the biggest being the N1s Gallery application has known color issues, so the article wasnt actually giving an accurate hardware vs. hardware comparison. The same gradient picture that looks bad in the article looks just fine when displayed in the Android browser. Well see if that issue gets fixed with 2.2.

Apple was on the right path by looking into Samsungs AMOLED screen, which really improves performance outside. Since that didnt work out, Apple made the right decision to hold off for now. If the more techy users of the N1s AMOLED screen have trouble using it outside and setting auto-brightness, then the casual users that Apple appeals too would definitely not be happy.

That said, an AMOLED screen looks so much better inside than a standard LCD that it really is only a matter of time before it gains widespread adoption. The best analogy I can give is to compare SD to HD. We always thought SD looked just fine, but once we all saw HD, SD looked rather dull from then on. I experience that same feeling when switching between my N1 and iPhone.

Definitely an interesting debate for geeks everywhere. I would encourage everyone to check out an AMOLED screen before passing judgement.

Since I've read in a few places that the Nexus ONe screen is from Samsung, there are questions about that. TH he report from Ars Technica seemed to be pretty accurate in its technical aspects. The Nexus One screen is inferior because of the compromises made. The resolution is much lower than assumed by the specs released. The way it produces color is not normal, and lacks the resolution other screens have. They've made the screen in a way that required perceptional formulas to function properly. It's similar to Tv, where color resolution is much less than luminance resolution because of the assumed lack of ability of the eye to see resolution of the same degree as luminance. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Text is worse though.

By the way, I've responded to the other posts using my iPad, but was required to respond to this one using my computer, because the scroll bar at the right side of the text box doesn't appear, and so there is no way to scroll the text down.
post #40 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Gotta agree with Apple on this one. I have a Nexus One. Unless you set the screen brightness to the absolute highest level, it's unreadable outside.

That said, I wonder why Apple didn't go Super AMOLED. Those screens have overcome most of the flaws of OLED technology.

Any number of reasons:

- Cost
- Quality
- Availability
- Reliability

Remember that Apple has undoubtedly had samples from AMOLED vendors rather than simply relying on vendors press releases claiming that they've solved all the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

I'm just hoping 2 things:

1. That it's available the same day they announce it.

2. That the memory thing won't be an issue. My biggest gripe (almost my only one) with my current iPhone 3G is it seems to fill up the memory and bog down way too easily

1. Amen. I skipped the 3GS and my 3G is getting old. I'm ready.

2. I doubt if it will be. So far, it doesn't appear to be like desktop computers where every version of software has much heavier hardware requirements. If anything, software vendors are getting better about minimizing their hardware requirements on the iPhone. A phone you purchase today should remain usable for years.

I have an iPad (1 GHz A4 with 256 MB of RAM) and it is quite usable. An iPhone with the same hardware should be as good (smaller screen size but higher pixel density, so total # of pixels is only slightly lower than the iPad).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rejected OLED screen for next iPhone, developed backup handset