or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Steve Ballmer not speaking at Apple's WWDC

Microsoft says Steve Ballmer not speaking at Apple's WWDC

post #1 of 36
Microsoft revealed via its official Twitter account on Thursday that the company's chief executive, Steve Ballmer, will not be speaking at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference on June 7.

Microsoft made the announcement Thursday afternoon. It came in response to a claim from analyst Trip Chowdhry with Global Equities Research, who said this week that Microsoft has been allotted 7 minutes during Apple's June 7 keynote address.

"Steve Ballmer not speaking at Apple Dev Conf.," the post on Twitter reads. "Nor appearing on Dancing with the Stars. Nor riding in the Belmont. Just FYI."

The Twitter post does not address the other part of Chowdhry's claim: that Microsoft's Visual Studio 2010 will allow developers to write applications for Apple's iPhone OS -- including the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad -- as well as software for the Mac OS X operating system.

But that part of the rumor also seems highly unlikely, given that Apple specifically banned the use of intermediary tools to write software for the iPhone OS. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs also published a letter in which he said allowing a third-party layer of software results in sub-standard applications and hinders the platform.

"If developers grow dependent on third party development libraries and tools, they can only take advantage of platform enhancements if and when the third party chooses to adopt the new features," Jobs wrote. "We cannot be at the mercy of a third party deciding if and when they will make our enhancements available to our developers."
post #2 of 36
So either it was fake...or he chickened out. All that applause, you know?
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #3 of 36
So what could he possibly talk about??? Say something crazy like Apple only exists because Microsoft continued to make MS Office for the Mac???
post #4 of 36
If you can code Obj-C directly in Visual Studio and it compiles Obj-C natively, what is the issue? I understand Flash ported to Obj-C is "intermediary", but Obj-C code compiled into an app has no middle ground, it's all C. So what would be the problem there? AFAIK, you can compile your code with the gcc compilers, so that's not banned. Why would VS be any different?

post #5 of 36
Too bad - it would have been neat to see him stomp an iPhone or write all over someones MacBook... NOT!

Dance monkey boy dance...
post #6 of 36

"Nor appearing on Dancing with the Stars. Nor riding in the Belmont."

Awww, Monkey Boy

THOSE would have been well worth the price of admission

post #7 of 36
His 2 minutes of fame before he becomes obscured with the background.
post #8 of 36
Well, there's no reason to go now!
post #9 of 36
that's a shame, I would have loved to watch him make a fool of himself.
post #10 of 36
This whole idea was crazy to begin with.

Ballmer giving a speech about Dev tools for the Mac? And then add that its at Apple which has been causing the guy to gnash his teeth for the last 5+ years. Just nuts. That guy's got an ego and there's no reason for him to head down to Apple to publicly eat a slice of humble pie in front of Apple developers (great image though).

All that said, it would be interesting to see if they are offering a Mac option in Visual Studio (which seems kind of weird at this point - as in "why would they even do that?"). If memory serves, Microsoft did, a long time ago offer a dual compilation option (back in the pre OS X days), that didn't result in very Mac like applications (not a surprise) and was a failure in the market (nobody used it).
post #11 of 36
crap

i really wanted monkey boy to do his thing.
post #12 of 36
post #13 of 36
Oh well but I still think a Microsoft announcement will be made of some sort. Probably Bing as the default search engine to combat Google.
post #14 of 36
I'm truly disappointed Ballmer will not be in the running at the Belmont.
post #15 of 36
Monkey Boy will not dance for us! Bad Monkey Boy!
post #16 of 36
If Steve Ballmer is quite occupied he could just send his 2007 iPhone video to share his sentiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So7qrFO_p44

CGC

N.B.

How did people embed a You Tube video here?

Thanks spinnerlys!
post #17 of 36
Not surprising at all. As fun as it would have been to see Ballmer dance around next to Steve Jobs, did anyone actually think there was a chance that he would make a WWDC appearance?
post #18 of 36
Bummer. Oh well, could have been fun.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

How did people embed a You Tube video here?

You don't, as it is not enabled.
post #20 of 36
I would have loved to see him do this at WWDC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc
post #21 of 36
This is what makes Apple Insider so much worth reading. It got wound of a rumor that one of the staff deemed credible enough to report:

Microsoft's Steve Ballmer rumored to present at Apple's WWDC 2010

By Sam Oliver
Published: 07:40 AM EST

It was so earthshaking and rocked the AI community that when there was a "slight change", it warranted another article by yet another staff, instead of an update of the pripr report:

Microsoft says Steve Ballmer not speaking at Apple's WWDC
By Slash Lane
Published: 02:45 PM EST

With the new development, and not withstanding whatever was reported/speculated in the previous article, the second staff was now very confident to allay our concerns:

Quote:
But that part of the rumor also seems highly unlikely, given that Apple specifically banned the use of intermediary tools to write software for the iPhone OS. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs also published a letter in which he said allowing a third-party layer of software results in sub-standard applications and hinders the platform.

Steve Jobs proclamation has been affirmed. All is great again in the Apple kingdom.

CGC
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

I would have loved to see him do this at WWDC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

Well, thats kind of like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdFIXsrjkXI
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #23 of 36
Just got figure out what about - the stress cased by thinking that Steve B would be there or the distress caused by thinking that he would not be there after all - or the strain of trying to imagine how that would be possible. help me out here people - gotta be something we can work with.

maybe a police action against the analyst who first published the rumor to find out what might be hidden in his wireless router that would shed light on this case.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

With the new development, and not withstanding whatever was reported/speculated in the previous article, the second staff was now very confident to allay our concerns

The relevant item that bans Flash is this: "C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs."

Visual Studio is not an "intermediary tool" and would do exactly what this requires.

Ballmer presenting it was the only ridiculous thing about this rumor, as he isn't and has never been a developer.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm truly disappointed Ballmer will not be in the running at the Belmont.

Based on his dancing videos, I doubt Ballmer could run anywhere - at least without having a coronary, or sweating his basketballs off.

Makes me think he might have been the inspiration for the perspiration in those obnoxious AXE deodorant ads.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

The relevant item that bans Flash is this: "C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs."

Visual Studio is not an "intermediary tool" and would do exactly what this requires.

Ballmer presenting it was the only ridiculous thing about this rumor, as he isn't and has never been a developer.

I am not disputing the potential significance of the MS Application, in contrast to the ban of the Flash for Apps creation. Having said this, more experienced developers argued about the wisdom of the move, if ever it was true. The was no consensus.

The Tweeter information only dealt with refutubg tge rumor about the participation of Steve Ballmer. It did not confirm or deny if Microsoft would indeed be presenting or the nature of the presentation, if MS would have participated.

There was nothing further that was confirmed therefore but pure speculation (see quoted material from staff).

Considering this earth-shaking change of events, was there really a need for another article? Or would an update been more prudent?

Thus, the sarcasm.

CGC

Edit
: The title should have been: "Not sure I connected!" A paraphrase of "Only Connect!", the preface statement in "Howards End" by EM Forster.
post #27 of 36
That it too bad. I was hoping for an alliance of the powers. Apple-Microsoft vs Google-Adobe.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Steve Ballmer not speaking at Apple Dev Conf.," the post on Twitter reads. "Nor appearing on Dancing with the Stars. Nor riding in the Belmont. Just FYI."

Notice that they don't deny he will appear on "The Biggest Loser".
post #29 of 36
If he was presenting it would have been epic. Epic Fail!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #30 of 36
All of the obvious flaws should have been in the original article. This was obviously a very unlikely thing to begin with. The original article now says that his source doesn't know what the development tools are (calling them development tools instead of VS) and that it wont be in the Keynote. The source instead said that Apple and Microsoft were working together on development tools. That could mean anything (and probably doesn't mean VS). Apple did license push syncing technology from Microsoft after all.
post #31 of 36
I develop for both platforms. I would love to see Visual Studio 2010 able to compile Objective C. I'm not a fan of XCode and think Apple could learn a lot from Microsoft and their Development IDE's.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nor riding in the Belmont.

More likely he will be ridden in the Belmont.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

More likely he will be ridden in the Belmont.

He wouldn't last .... furlong.
post #34 of 36
Well damn. I was so looking forward to him and Steve doing the famous Developers Developers Developers Developers dance routine together! After all, WWDC IS a developers conference...
post #35 of 36
i'll be the first one to not make a joke and simply state: good. The guy is a total moron and has no place at WWDC.
post #36 of 36
that jerk from Mad Money admitted it and it's been pretty well-documented elsewhere that this sort of rumor by tech press plants like Chowderhead are simply attempts to make some quick money by nudging a stock up or down a bit for a few hours.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Steve Ballmer not speaking at Apple's WWDC