or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Crowds gather for international iPad launch as supply issues remain

Crowds gather for international iPad launch as supply issues remain - Page 2

post #41 of 46
i'm sorry if this is off topic, but is it not possible to embed youtube h.264 files in the articles instead of the flash versions? i mean - this is appleinsider - are there that many IE6 visitors to warrant torturing the rest of us?

do i have click-to-flash configured wrong? it goes to h.264 automagically if i go to the youtube page for the embedded videos...
post #42 of 46
Yipppeeeeee!

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i'm sorry if this is off topic, but is it not possible to embed youtube h.264 files in the articles instead of the flash versions? i mean - this is appleinsider - are there that many IE6 visitors to warrant torturing the rest of us?

do i have click-to-flash configured wrong? it goes to h.264 automagically if i go to the youtube page for the embedded videos...

Short answer ... No.

You can do it if you have the fully qualified path to the mp4 file, but youtube doesn't expose that. But if you did have the movie itself, you could just drop it in a <video> tag which will work for Chrome, Safari, or IE with Google Frame. Only Webkit browsers will work AFAIK.

Alternately you could write a javascript player without using the <video> tag. But again you need the path to the actual movie file. This is extremely complex. AI would probably not be up to doing it this way.

There are ways to extract the flv file from the Flash version of the YouTube video. Then you need a converter to convert it to a H.264 mp4 which can be embedded. That takes a lot of time and effort.

You can also use the <embed> or <object> tag with a mime type to play a mov, mpg, wmv or avi movie inline as long as the browser has a plugin for the type of movie.

The last resort is to just put the path in a hyperlink and let the users default video player handle it in its own window like an iPhone does.

Or you could just use Flash like everyone else.

Others may know some clever workarounds, I'm not always up to speed with the latest techniques.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Short answer ... No.

You can do it if you have the fully qualified path to the mp4 file, but youtube doesn't expose that. But if you did have the movie itself, you could just drop it in a <video> tag which will work for Chrome, Safari, or IE with Google Frame. Only Webkit browsers will work AFAIK.

Alternately you could write a javascript player without using the <video> tag. But again you need the path to the actual movie file. This is extremely complex. AI would probably not be up to doing it this way.

There are ways to extract the flv file from the Flash version of the YouTube video. Then you need a converter to convert it to a H.264 mp4 which can be embedded. That takes a lot of time and effort.

You can also use the <embed> or <object> tag with a mime type to play a mov, mpg, wmv or avi movie inline as long as the browser has a plugin for the type of movie.

The last resort is to just put the path in a hyperlink and let the users default video player handle it in its own window like an iPhone does.

Others may know some clever workarounds, I'm not always up to speed with the latest techniques.

thanks! i knew someone here would be smarter than me.
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Cancelled my pre-order today after a friend walked into a PC World store and walked out with a shiny new iPad. I wouldn't care but i pre-ordered mine the minute Apple asked me to pre-order.

So no notification of delivery yet and here's me thinking that pre-ordering mean't first in line. Of course i understand their logic. Why not sell my friend one over the counter and keep me hanging on a little longer under new supply comes in. There was a time when i would have allowed that but not anymore.

It sounds to me like something went wrong with your pre-order. A close friend of mine ordered his the same day Apple's pre-order notification got sent. He got an email earlier on this week to say his had been shipped, complete with the serial number of his new iPad and a tracking number. His arrived just after 5pm on Thursday night so there is no conspiracy here, it just sounds like the process broke for you for some reason.
post #46 of 46
Looks like Fedex is still having service problems in China. Somebody I know had his iPad delivery delayed four days after the promised date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. These foreigners must be as stupid as us Americans!

Hey, I resent that! Nobody is as stupid as us Americans! We're number one! We're number on... uh, wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Short answer ... No.

But wait, isn't Flash eeeevil and deserving of death? If people aren't reading this on an iPad/iPhone/iPod touch or on a Webkit browser, they don't deserve to see the videos.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Crowds gather for international iPad launch as supply issues remain
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Crowds gather for international iPad launch as supply issues remain