or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New cloud-based Apple TV to cost $99, run on iPhone OS 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New cloud-based Apple TV to cost $99, run on iPhone OS 4

post #1 of 258
Thread Starter 
Alleged details on a forthcoming update to the Apple TV set top box were revealed on Friday, with the device reportedly based on iPhone OS 4, powered by Apple's custom-built A4 processor, and offering 1080P cloud-based streaming content -- all starting at just $99.

Engadget editor Joshua Topolsky said the information came from a tip and was confirmed by a source "very close to Apple." The new hardware will reportedly have just 16GB of storage, but will be capable of full 1080P HD video.

"Not only will this be priced to sell (like hotcakes), it seems that Apple is moving away from the model of local storage and will be focusing the new ATV on cloud-based storage (not unlike Amazon's streaming scheme, though we're talking instant-on 1080P, a la Microsoft)," the report said. "For those still interested in keeping their content close, there will be an option to utilize a Time Capsule as an external storage component, but the main course will be about streaming."

The new hardware, said to be small with only a power plug and video out, was described as "an iPhone without a screen." Sources could not say whether or not the new hardware would be compatible with software from the App Store, though Topolsky noted "it makes sense given the shared platform."

Engadget reported that Apple will not announce the new hardware at the forthcoming Worldwide Developers Conference, but the development is currently "full steam ahead."

The project has allegedly been in development since long before the Google TV was introduced last week. Google's offering will run on the Android operating system, and will be integrated in set top boxes as well as on HDTV hardware itself from major manufacturers. Google TV, which will run applications from the Android Market and stream Internet video, is scheduled to be released this fall.

Currently, the Apple TV costs $229 and comes with 160GB of storage. Last September, Apple discontinued the low-end 40GB Apple TV.

The set top box software was updated last October to Apple TV 3.0. The update added a redesigned main menu that aimed to make navigating content simpler and faster. It also allowed useres to watch iTunes Extras and iTunes LP content in full screen on their TV.

However, the software update failed to boost sales for the device, and Apple executives maintained their position that the Apple TV is simply a "hobby" for the Cupertino, Calif., company. In February, Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said the set top box market does not compare with the other categories in which Apple competes, particularly media players, smartphones and computers.

Engadget's rumors would suggest that Apple would continue to sell the product as a set top box, while Google TV will be integrated with some HDTVs starting this fall. But analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray has long believed that Apple could release its own connected HDTV, with Apple TV functionality built in to the device, in the next 2 to 4 years.
post #2 of 258
So no OS update to existing hardware possible ??

I know, it isn't powerful enough but what about a dumbed down 720P version of the OS?

Other than that I hope it is all true, this will add even more to AAPL I am sure.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #3 of 258
Sold! As I predicted the only way to improve ATV is through iOS. Another AppStore ecosystem for developers to thrive on. Expect console gaming. I've been wanting to replace my cable TV but I decided to wait updates for ATV. $99 for a device is cheap. I'm 100% this won't come with bluray drive.
post #4 of 258
How fast would my home Internet need to be to download 1080p?

I was at blockbuster yesterday. Found myself thinking that if I never walked into the store again I'd be fine with that. And I don't want to buy a BR player. Give me 1080 streaming and I'm yours.
post #5 of 258
Hell it's about time!! I've been waiting for a hardware refresh for around 14 months, I can finally buy one without worrying it'll become obsolete the second I buy it, as soon as I can preorder I will, I've wanted an appletv for ages.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #6 of 258
Another product in the pipeline. Apple should just stick this inside an Aluminum 30" - 40" screen, then we will have a real AppleTV.

No more set top box. Give us a real TV. I gave my Sony TV away, because I have been waiting for an AppleTV.
post #7 of 258
I pretty much care less about Time Capsule. Just let it use storage on my LAN. Cloud is nice, but not vital to me. And yes streaming is the key - not syncing content to some small storage on the device. That's what I have been using on Apple TV for last years. Syncing is not allowed with my environoment.

Now with this please provide some inexpensive Apple protocol streaming server. How about making Airport Extreme Apple video/audio streaming capable? No? Then I will still keep my Asus nettop with Windows on it and iTunes streaming my movies and music to my network of Mac's and AppleTV. Sorry... more business to PC if you cannot beat the price. Mac Mini costs too much and it is overkill for streaming to Apple TV even HD content - nettop or netbook is enough and we are not talking about HD video decoding in this case. Solution proven and used for over a year now. Smooth.
post #8 of 258
Nasty. I'm sold.
post #9 of 258
The price is entirely possible given 3Gs will be $97 at Walmart soon if I remember correctly.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #10 of 258
Well this could be very good news, if it is done right. Obviously we won't know for awhile what the final product will be. If $99 turns out to be true, then that is a great start. I am also excited that it appears Apple is finally ready to take this out of Hobby status and going forward with the complete reconstructive surgery method to fix the ATV.

Although, if it turns out to basically do the same things as it did (extend iTunes to the TV) and then only adds true HD quality streaming for iTunes rentals and purchases, I don't think I will be interested. I need a bit more than this. Apps are ok, and actually I might grow to like apps on the ATV, but I need more substance. I can do without DVR capabilities, but I need it to be able to connect to services online besides iTunes. I want to be able to stream from other good sources online, and I want it to have a fully featured Safari.

I don't care or need it to be as small as an iPhone. In fact if it is as big as a Mac Mini, that is fine, but I want the feature set to be greatly enhanced.
post #11 of 258
I'll be sold, pending details. So far it sounds good.
post #12 of 258
Looks like Eric Schmidt made off with yet another Apple idea during his tenure on the board. Not surprising given Google's approach to all IP but its own.
post #13 of 258
Sounds cool, hope it will be able to play high profile h.264 though. That would be great!

That makes me think that maybe Hulu will present their app at WWDC
post #14 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Another product in the pipeline. Apple should just stick this inside an Aluminum 30" - 40" screen, then we will have a real AppleTV.

No more set top box. Give us a real TV. I gave my Sony TV away, because I have been waiting for an AppleTV.

I do not agree. I do not care about TV set released by Apple. I want to pick one. Tuner (set top box) should be outside.

This is the same reason I do not use laptops at home. I do not plan on crooked fingers and too little screen (causing strain on eyes) that you get with that supposedly "convenient" computer. Prefer mac Mini and large screen that is out of proportion to full sized keyboard. It would not be practical to make it portable.


Portable should be small and practical and special use at ceratin environments. So do not tell 30-40 inch with built-in propraietary format set top box and no alternative. I want over 13-50 inch depending on situation. I can only agree for intergrated "Apple content tuner" if it comes with small portable TV's.


Also I pretty much do not care if Apple or not as far as media playing so I would not prefer paying for Apple specific encoding and standards. I bet many would not. Just try to sell such specialized TV and see whether people would go for it with its increased pprice (AppleTV ain't free)... or perhaps for Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or others who have more expertise in TV area and are cheaper, but can work with external set top boxes. This is not the same as computer monitor which when made by Apple is extraordinary quality.
post #15 of 258
If it's for reals I'm game for checking it out.
post #16 of 258
As long as you can also stream movies from a local computer running iTunes like the current AppleTV can then this sounds exactly the product Apple needs to release.

The next question is input devices. Standard remotes (eg the Apple remote) are lousy for for Apps and web surfing. GoogleTV failed to solve this problem simply going with a pointing device + keyboard. Can Apple provide a better solution? (preferably not requiring that everyone also owns an iPod touch / iPhone).
post #17 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The price is entirely possible given 3Gs will be $97 at Walmart soon if I remember correctly.

Just keep in mind that would be a subsidized price with a two year contract.

$99 isn't out of the realm of possibility... Dropping the A4 into a pin package that is cheaper to mount for non-mobile devices, dropping the battery/touchscreen/mic/camera/speakers/etc... Basically just an A4, flash, power conversion, DisplayPort, and Wifi.... Hmmmm. They probably don't even need to include IR and a remote... You can just load a remote app on your iPod/iPhone/iPad.

Ok, sign me up. Well, put a HD camera back in for video conferencing...
post #18 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

How fast would my home Internet need to be to download 1080p?

I was at blockbuster yesterday. Found myself thinking that if I never walked into the store again I'd be fine with that. And I don't want to buy a BR player. Give me 1080 streaming and I'm yours.

Not sure of the exact numbers, as far as internet speeds go for downloading 1080p content....but since it would be streamed, it would just take longer to start playing if your on slower connections. Like when using Netflix...it calculates your download speed and sets the buffer and video quality based off of that. I would imagine the Apple TV would do that also. Hopefully, if your bandwidth isn't sufficient for 1080p, it would fall back to 720p, then standard def after that, based on the quality and speed of your connection...

At $99, I would be finally interested in Apple TV...Let's hope that part is true!
post #19 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Sold! As I predicted the only way to improve ATV is through iOS. Another AppStore ecosystem for developers to thrive on. Expect console gaming. I've been wanting to replace my cable TV but I decided to wait updates for ATV. $99 for a device is cheap. I'm 100% this won't come with bluray drive.

Not neccessarily OS makes difference, but it could mean that all deficiences are solved by the better OS. ATV can offer much more in area of user interaction and media management.

I can give one fundamental example: Why do I need to pair some streaming device with Apple TV to play my private content on network drive that does not have anything to do with iTunes store purchases? For this I prefer solution like on XBMC - just grab the file from network. If not then provide me with cheap network streaming device (new Airport Extereme feature?). I do not need to keep my computer(s) on just to watch my own media on ATV... or synch more movies than ATV has storage. How about that?
post #20 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

I pretty much care less about Time Capsule. Just let it use storage on my LAN. Cloud is nice, but not vital to me. And yes streaming is the key - not syncing content to some small storage on the device. That's what I have been using on Apple TV for last years. Syncing is not allowed with my environoment.

Now with this please provide some inexpensive Apple protocol streaming server. How about making Airport Extreme Apple video/audio streaming capable? No? Then I will still keep my Asus nettop with Windows on it and iTunes streaming my movies and music to my network of Mac's and AppleTV. Sorry... more business to PC if you cannot beat the price. Mac Mini costs too much and it is overkill for streaming to Apple TV even HD content - nettop or netbook is enough and we are not talking about HD video decoding in this case. Solution proven and used for over a year now. Smooth.

Comparing it to your posting at the 2 months ago, i.e.,
Quote:
Hence, I am currently serious about getting one of Asus AspireRevo PC's and building XMBC or Boxee center which was already proven concept (I did it personally with some old PC and Linux based software).
post #21 of 258
I don't know about the "cloud" part, but it seems like they could save money, drop the price and make a better product of they dropped internal storage, relying on the storage of local computers.
post #22 of 258
When this article said that they got a tip from someone who is very close to Apple, and that the tipster said it was like "an iPhone without a screen", did anyone else think Kevin Rose was behind this?

It just sounds like something Kevin would say and then be completely wrong about. Kindof like when he claimed the original iPhone would have dual batteries a slide-out keyboard and start at $249. Man, what was he smoking? This leak smells like Kevin Rose.

I'm just sayin'
post #23 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know about the "cloud" part, but it seems like they could save money, drop the price and make a better product of they dropped internal storage, relying on the storage of local computers.

Yes, BYO storage definitely sounds like a better way to go.
post #24 of 258
If streaming large video (100MB or greater) on this new iPhone OS A4-powered Apple TV is as bad as it is on the iPad, I'll gladly pass. The thing never seems to cache enough to play back continuously, and eventually just gives up trying altogether.
post #25 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So no OS update to existing hardware possible ?? ...

It's certainly possible, but since they are different chips, it's not that likely.
post #26 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

When this article said that they got a tip from someone who is very close to Apple, and that the tipster said it was like "an iPhone without a screen", did anyone else think Kevin Rose was behind this?

It just sounds like something Kevin would say and then be completely wrong about. Kindof like when he claimed the original iPhone would have dual batteries a slide-out keyboard and start at $249. Man, what was he smoking? This leak smells like Kevin Rose.

I'm just sayin'

Arg!!!

I dont't want cloud storage. I want external storage. This doesn't sound like the product for me.
post #27 of 258
Putting my ATV on Ebay as we speak.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #28 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

As long as you can also stream movies from a local computer running iTunes like the current AppleTV can then this sounds exactly the product Apple needs to release.

The next question is input devices. Standard remotes (eg the Apple remote) are lousy for for Apps and web surfing. GoogleTV failed to solve this problem simply going with a pointing device + keyboard. Can Apple provide a better solution? (preferably not requiring that everyone also owns an iPod touch / iPhone).

A Wiimote clone would do the trick.

GoogleTV could still very well have something similar. The quote from the Logitech site is:

Q: What is it?
A: Were creating a system that includes a companion box an external device that connects to your TV through an HDMI port and an intuitive controller thats been designed to take full advantage of everything the Google TV platform offers.
post #29 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

And I don't want to buy a BR player.

Why not? Do you not like nice things?
post #30 of 258
I want an Apple OS in my (Philips) TV!!

I don't want another remote control
I don't want a new settop box

Apple should license (free of paid) its OS to TV manufactures...!!

Or - TVs should have a card slot/printboard where a small computer or OS can be inserted.
post #31 of 258
could be a game center also
could be good with bluetooth controllers
post #32 of 258
I am worried that it is yet another way for Apple to fight off adopting Blu-Ray. I stream Netflix on my PS3 and play Blu-Ray discs. Until Apple supports Blu-ray on its laptops (which I could then hook up to my TV---or simply watch when I am mobile), I won't nibble at Apple TV.
post #33 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Looks like Eric Schmidt made off with yet another Apple idea during his tenure on the board. Not surprising given Google's approach to all IP but its own.

true...

i wonder who will feed the google, dell and microsoft parasites when steve jobs leaves apple...
post #34 of 258
That Carolina Cloud that Apple is building is making more sense every day.
post #35 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

How fast would my home Internet need to be to download 1080p?

probably not fast enough.

I can buy the idea of going for no local storage, I can go for the cut price, etc. but I doubt that there will be 1080p available out of the gate. In fact if you look at the reports, it says 1080p capable which even implies that one day it could happen. but that day might not be today.

for 1080p we need a new compression format or a much much better bandwidth structure.

that said, even 720p streaming on something that doesn't freeze up or heat up like mad is an improvement.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #36 of 258
If true, should open up ATV to a new App Store for ATV section for games and TV apps. Awesome. I want iPhone OS to become the new embedded consumer electronics OS. With any foresight, Apple may eventually license iPhone OS to other CE manufacturers...? They are now in an all-out war with Google and Android OS.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #37 of 258
ATV games with iPad, iPhone or iPod touch as WiFi or Bluetooth remote controller.

Count me in!
post #38 of 258
I have a Samsung with internet features built-in. It is clunky. It has Yahoo widgets that I doubt with be supported for the life of the TV. You have to be careful about TV integration for these technologies. Will the integrated Google TV be future proof? If so then that's great. I just know from experience that integrated VHS and DVD players had/have their limits. I'd rather buy an external product that I know I can replace with something better when it comes along (i.e. the Google TV external unit).
post #39 of 258
That's hot !
As in awesome.
post #40 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Looks like Eric Schmidt made off with yet another Apple idea during his tenure on the board. Not surprising given Google's approach to all IP but its own.

Does seem like it.

And yet. They demo'd their new thing to be released 'sometime later after some deals get worked out'
Apple is more likely to show a product with a release date that could be as early as 'already shipping to the stores'

and just like with the ipad, many will get tired of waiting and buy what is already out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickertb View Post


Apple should license (free of paid) its OS to TV manufactures...!!

never happen. it's not Apple's style. Same as doing clone computers, clone phones etc

Quote:
Or - TVs should have a card slot/printboard where a small computer or OS can be inserted.

how is that really better than a small little box and a short cord.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New cloud-based Apple TV to cost $99, run on iPhone OS 4