or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months

Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months - Page 4

post #121 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Yes, but when the writer uses perfect grammar, it is the responsibility of the reader to understand what is written

As the reader I addressed BOTH uses due to it's ambiguity due to the frequently lazy nature of message boards. As the writer you need to be proactive. Regardless if you are technically accurate, your goal is to communicate your idea, which requires understanding your audience. In this case, the audience, also writers on this forum, often use it incorrectly, as Melgross stated.

You can see from the number of posts that both Melgross and I have been on this forum for some time. You can look at our specific posting history to know that we often try to be clear in our writing. If Melgross had wrote what you wrote, iPhone 3Gs, it wouldn't have been ambiguous to me because of my familiarities with his posting style. I'll take note of yours but there isn't years of history for me to understand the person behind the comment at this time, hence the ambiguity.

It's not a big deal, and you obviously can write well and form good arguments, but I think it's one you should consider when posting on any forum. Unfortunately, this is not the "real world" and you will have all ages, cultures, and education levels reading and replying. When in doubt... clarify.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #122 of 266
Quote:

Yes, but when the writer uses perfect grammar, it is the responsibility of the reader to understand what is written. The writer should never be concerned that someone might misunderstand perfect grammar, that's silly, otherwise there's no point communicating if you have to worry that someone may misunderstand what you've perfectly said.

The problem here is that when perfect grammar indicates something else than what the writer is supposing it to represent, it's wrong.

In your case, 3Gs indicates to most people, a phone model. You're so taken with what you think you wrote, that you don't see that. As a result, your writing wasn't clear. As I said, many people write 3Gs as opposed to 3GS. Are they correct? Maybe not, but it occurs so often, that it's accepted.

This is a fruitless argument for you. Drop it please.
post #123 of 266
I think taking it as Apple placing "restrictions" is the wrong way of looking at it. It's clear Apple I building the iPhone OS platform to do a lot of the things people complain about. Some among us are impacient for it's official implementation.

There is a differnce between building out a platform and never delivering certain functionality at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not the iPhone OS per se. Jailbreaking shows that the functionality is often there. Apple just has to get over the idea that so many restrictions aren't helping them as much as they think they are.
post #124 of 266
Quote:

I don't mean that one. There was one about Tiger Woods, and I think one other. Additionally, some other comics app was rejected for some similar reason. Also, there is an app from a Republican representative that Apple rejected.

Quote:
Going from about 412MHz ARM11 to a 600MHz Cortex-A8 with double the RAM and likely faster NAND was a huge bump in itself. So much so that I hope that the new package-on-package and system-on-chip design for the A4 is not running at 1GHz, like the iPad.

As long as the battery holds out, I'd love to see it running at the same speed. While Apple has tried very hard to take hardware specs out of the game here, they've lost that round. I'm not sure they could have a new phone that doesn't run at 1 GHz considering all the others that do now, and that will do so over the next year. Possibly some will run at an even higher speed, with two cores, and the newer Cortex 9. I'm not sure that Apple's product could be seen as being behind from day one, no matter how fast the phone itself actually is.

Quote:
Even if the battery times have doubled while using a 1GHz A4 I still don't think it's enough to warrant going that much faster over the 3GS. This is why I suspect it's clocked in the 800's. We know they upped the battery by 16.4% and the based on my calculations (which unfortunately comprises of a lot of guesswork) I think that we'll see an average 15% extra battery time across the board, even with the 4x more pixel and non-TN display rumoured to be coming.

Right now, it's more a matter of marketing it seems.
post #125 of 266
Quote:

Get it? They provide it, but we have to buy it. absurd.

What a radical concept ... selling stuff instead of giving away ... absurd.

Quote:

By the way, we have four Macs at home, five including my daughter's MacBook Pro which is usually in England, and four iPhones, one usually in England, and so far, one iPad, soon to be two.

That's just current equipment. I've personally owned at least ten over the years, and my wife and daughter another 6 or so. I've bought almost 300 for my own company over the years, going back to 1988, until my partner and I sold the company five years ago, and I'm responsible for the New York City school system's increase in spending for Macs over the years, and so can rightly claim to be responsible for several hundred thousand more Macs purchased than would otherwise be the case.
I've also got a fair amount of stock in the company.

Thanks for the inventory of what you've "got" ... which was neither asked for nor is relative to the accuracy / importance of your posts. By the way, when you ran your "company" did you give your stuff away? ... I think not.

Quote:

So when you say I would be happier elsewhere, you're nuts, as Jobs would say.

To be accurate, this is my quote from post #110.

Maybe these companies are more suitable for you

But hey, why let the facts get in the way of , yet another, post from a "Global Moderator."
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #126 of 266
Quote:

As long as the battery holds out, I'd love to see it running at the same speed. While Apple has tried very hard to take hardware specs out of the game here, they've lost that round. I'm not sure they could have a new phone that doesn't run at 1 GHz considering all the others that do now, and that will do so over the next year. Possibly some will run at an even higher speed, with two cores, and the newer Cortex 9. I'm not sure that Apple's product could be seen as being behind from day one, no matter how fast the phone itself actually is.

Other phones have to market that aspect because they don't have much going them. In terms of how fast it "feels" the 3GS is faster than the Nexus One in many ways that matter to the end user. For this reason along I don't think it has to matched the fastest Android-based phone to be competitive. However, Android v2.2 is considerably more efficient than v2.1 that the perceived performance gap is surely closing to some degree.

I don't recall how it was stated during the iPad event, but Apple's use of the A4 could easily carry over to the G4 iPhone without a specific mention of the processor speed. They do mention the A4 being 1GHz on the iPad's spec sheets, but make no mention of the processor on the iPhone's spec sheet. This could go several directions: List the iPhone has having a 1GHz A4, just list the A4 without a specific speed but imply that it's 1GHz even though it's been underclocked, or continue to not list the CPU at all. I think they will want to at least market the A4, but unless the battery duration is higher than the current 3GS then they will be unlocking it and will not be listing the speed.

On the other hand, we don't know what they've done to make the chip so efficient that it might be negligible to underclock the CPU at all.

As we all know, Apple is always going to be facing the "latest and greatest HW" problem since they only release a new product once a year. I am sure smartphone and tablet vendors will be jumping on Cortex-A9 as soon as possible and using that to show that Apple is woefully out of date. We've seen this year-after-year. Par for the course I suppose.

On top of that, They sell so much volume of a single product that simply can't compete with others who can grab new components in small quantizes before can be ramped up. This is now affecting their Mac line which makes me think it's time to diversify that line, but I have seen no signs that will happen soon.
post #127 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not a big deal, and you obviously can write well and form good arguments, but I think it's one you should consider when posting on any forum.

Please don't do that because when you do you that assume you know all about me and condemn me to ignorance or inexperience, both of which are wrong.

Quote:

This is a fruitless argument for you. Drop it please.

Please don't adopt that tone with me, because now you're being offensive. My grammar was perfect, and this insistence that I was wrong in my grammar or intent of meaning is wrong on your part and it has now escalated into a huge distraction from our original discussion among people I think are agreeing (at least on the whole that Apple's products are good).

I'll agree to drop this of course, because this is all silly in that I don't want to waste time discussing and arguing grammar with people who are here for the same reasons as I am, and that is to discuss these lovely products that Apple builds. That's why I'm here. I am a big Apple fan and have been so since the early days of Apple and I love discussing Apple products (released and the rumoured-to-be-released<smile>).

To get us back on track we were discussing the multi-tasking capabilities in the iPhone. My original comment was that because the phone can indeed support it and yet they have not allowed it in the 3G model with the upcoming OS v4, why is that?

The model is certainly capable, so what are the reasons they would not allow that feature in that model? That's the point I was originally discussing before our discussion devolved into "our distraction".

My assumption is that the user experience would suffer - that's one reason the 3G doesn't get multi-tasking, despite the device being capable of supporting it. One other reason (and this is the cynic in me) is that they want to chop off support for old hardware and provide a strong reason to upgrade to the latest release (ka-ching!). Whether this is their number one reason, I'm not sure.

I'm curious to know what others might think - what do you think?
post #128 of 266
Quote:

My original comment was that because the phone can indeed support it and yet they have not allowed it in the 3G model with the upcoming OS v4, why is that?

It's been addressed more than once in this thread.
post #129 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

On top of which, there will be the demonstration effect.....

You have to wonder what percentage of folks with a PC only use web and mail and attempt to deal with photos.... and how many of them will be sick of dealing with Windows and be moving to iPads over the next few years. That 95% of all PCs out there MS boast might not be too meaningful if vast numbers stop using PCs.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #130 of 266
Quote:

Please don't adopt that tone with me, because now you're being offensive. My grammar was perfect, and this insistence that I was wrong in my grammar or intent of meaning is wrong on your part and it has now escalated into a huge distraction from our original discussion among people I think are agreeing (at least on the whole that Apple's products are good).

Your grammar was fine, but the delivery was not. Had I not read these comments first, I would have interpreted 3Gs as 3GS too. If you have to clarify your post later on, there was room for improvement. It's that simple. Just use 3G in the future and no one will be confused.

As for no multitasking on the iPhone 3G, I would simply assume that the user experience didn't meet Apples high standards. The 3G is also capable of shooting video, but the jailbreak solutions indicate that it doesn't do it very well, which is likely the reason why the 3G didn't officially receive that feature. I'd suspect multitasking support was left out for similar reasons.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #131 of 266
Quote:

Please don't adopt that tone with me, because now you're being offensive. My grammar was perfect, and this insistence that I was wrong in my grammar or intent of meaning is wrong on your part and it has now escalated into a huge distraction from our original discussion

So drop it! We don't worry that much about grammar around here because many people here speak English as a second language and others are typing on an iPhone with crappy text completion features. Seriously, If someone misunderstands a comment, people usually say Oh, I'm sorry I guess I could have stated that more clearly, this is what I meant. Not, get all righteous on them as if you have been offended over the capitalization of a single character. As if it wasn't easily misinterpreted anyway. We get it now, so let's move on.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #132 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You have to wonder what percentage of folks with a PC only use web and mail and attempt to deal with photos.... and how many of them will be sick of dealing with Windows and be moving to iPads over the next few years. That 95% of all PCs out there MS boast might not be too meaningful if vast numbers stop using PCs.

A girl in my office got an iPad, already had an iPhone but was stuck with a Windows computer. She didn't have the iPad more than a week when she figured out the picture syncing wasn't that great with Windows so she went out and bought a new MBP and ditched Windows altogether. And with no encouragement from me just on her own converted over to Apple.

post #133 of 266
Quote:

Yes, but when the writer uses perfect grammar, it is the responsibility of the reader to understand what is written. The writer should never be concerned that someone might misunderstand perfect grammar, that's silly, otherwise there's no point communicating if you have to worry that someone may misunderstand what you've perfectly said.

Well said.
post #134 of 266
Quote:

As the reader I addressed BOTH uses due to it's ambiguity due to the frequently lazy nature of message boards. As the writer you need to be proactive. Regardless if you are technically accurate, your goal is to communicate your idea, which requires understanding your audience. In this case, the audience, also writers on this forum, often use it incorrectly, as Melgross stated.

You can see from the number of posts that both Melgross and I have been on this forum for some time. You can look at our specific posting history to know that we often try to be clear in our writing. If Melgross had wrote what you wrote, iPhone 3Gs, it wouldn't have been ambiguous to me because of my familiarities with his posting style. I'll take note of yours but there isn't years of history for me to understand the person behind the comment at this time, hence the ambiguity.

It's not a big deal, and you obviously can write well and form good arguments, but I think it's one you should consider when posting on any forum. Unfortunately, this is not the "real world" and you will have all ages, cultures, and education levels reading and replying. When in doubt... clarify.

So, how would you communicate the plural of '3G'? 3Gs (plural)? 3Gs (not 3GS)?

I think he has a point.
post #135 of 266
Quote:

While multitasking will be nice for some things, I "need" folders.

All right, I'll bite!

I need folders too-- or stashes or piles, whatever! As George Carlin would say: "I need a place to put my stuff!"

I had hoped that Apple would implement some mechanism (better than what they did) to group apps.

A search. or genesis scroll, to get to apps is just not good enough.

Then there's the need for multiple files, within and across apps.

It's been a while, but JailBreaking didn't have any solutions... worse, in many ways.

One problem: I don't think a traditional (hierarchical) representation of a file system is the right answer for a small screen... you really need 2-3 levels for a drill-down/up.

How do you do a fan-out of files on a small screen without complicating it for the average user?

One approach, I've thought about, is kind of an hierarchical cover flow where:

-- at the top level are Covers (folders) for App Categories (games, utility, art, whatever)
-- touching a Cover flips it and provides a scrollable list of the contents of that cover, both Songs (files) and other Covers (folders)
-- selecting a Song (file or app) item opens the app that created (or last used) the file and primes it with the file data.
-- selecting a Cover (folder) would bring up the next level of CoverFlow
-- there would be some sort of hint displayed to indicate where you are in the hierarchy

You, likely, wouldn't' need to go more than 3-4 levels deep to satisfy the practical limitations of the device.

I've been playing with this for a Music app-- it works pretty well, even for home movies, podcasts, etc.

That's the best I've been able to come up with-- I'd like to hear the thoughts of others

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #136 of 266
Quote:

So, how would you communicate the plural of '3G'? 3Gs (plural)? 3Gs (not 3GS)?.

It's Apple's fault. They should have known this would become a problem when they named the 3GSs 3GS. in other words, we were fine with 3Gs when there was no 3GS, So now instead of saying 3Gs, 3G models would be less confusing.

post #137 of 266
Quote:

That's 5,000 iPad only apps. When we include universal apps, the number rises to about 8,200.

I'm amazed at how much more useful many of those universal apps are on my iPad as opposed to how they are on my iPhone, though when I got them for the phone, they seemed very good.

Agreed. The size is a differntiator (if that's a word...). I would note how certain apps are clearly suited to one form over the other. They sort themselves out quickly. The bus app I use and Shazam are best on the phone; games, productivity apps are best on the iPad.

I think the universal use will fade a bit as more app designers understand and craft app versions that are unique to each form -- that is, we'll see more iPad-optimized apps out there.

The universal use will also undercut those vendors who try to charge you for each form-factor version of their app. That practice won't go away, though.
post #138 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

iPad 2 revision, my friend, iPad 2 revision! That USB you talked about and a camera.
/
/
/

Apple looks to the future, not the past. iPad will never have a USB nor SD card reader built-in. The cloud is where it is at as far as storage, not plug-in devices.
post #139 of 266
Quote:

I think he has a point.

I agree, he does .... and a very valid one.
post #140 of 266
Quote:

I think he has a point.

As perviously stated, the way he wrote it was grammatically correct, but it was no clear. He could have used one of many methods to dissolve any ambiguity his comment. He was writing for an audience that included himself and failed to understand the nature of internet forums which are not filled with people of the same general age, education and culture or a publication is well edited and designed for readability of a particular group.

Again, the goal of clear concise communication is that the receiver(s) have no misunderstanding about what was meant to be conveyed.

There an an infinite number of examples we could all use to show that being grammatically correct and being clearing are not the same thing. This lexical ambiguity is separated ONLY by capitalization and you think that it's up to reader to simply assume that the writer on an internet forum, of all places, has not simply failed to capitalized a letter? If you believe that then I can show post after post where capitalization has not been properly used.

To state yet again, since this is an internet forum where proofreading is uncommon, where ages, education, cultures varying considerably, and there is a product from Apple called the '3GS' which looks very similar to '3Gs' then he, the writer, should be concerned about communicating well, instead of just technically being accurate. He's subsequently made it worse by stating how it's everyone else's fault for seeing how his statement could be ambiguous.
post #141 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Unfortunately, only the iPhone and iPod Touch will be getting the 4.0 update next week. The iPad will be getting it in the fall, probably at the September iPod event; but there will still be the spike in sales, even if it is a bit later. Hopefully that will give them some time to sort out the supply problems.

Yeah, the real key is when the Developer SDK supports 4.0 for the iPad. It's 3.2 only, right now.
\\

post #142 of 266
Quote:

I think he has a point.

Sometimes adding a word or two helps tremendously to make oneself clear.

Instead of saying, 'when multi-tasking is supported in the next OS release, iPhone 3Gs don't get that feature', simply say 'when multi-tasking is supported in the next OS release, the 3G iPhones don't get that feature'.
(Adding the comma also helps to make things clearer but that is another point.)
post #143 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Sometimes adding a word or two helps tremendously to make oneself clear.

Instead of saying, 'when multi-tasking is supported in the next OS release, iPhone 3Gs don't get that feature', simply say 'when multi-tasking is supported in the next OS release, the 3G iPhones don't get that feature'.
(Adding the comma also helps to make things clearer but that is another point.)

Or using the standard form when referring to ONE product: "...when multitasking is supported in the next OS release, the iPhone 3G will not get that feature."

Not to mention that he made the what would otherwise be a statement, a question, thus weakening any stance he has regarding the ambiguity of his post.
post #144 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is what I dislike about iPhone OS. Apple artificially restricts the capabilities of the device to protect the end user from having to worry about a filesystem. I wish it had a pro user mode that was difficult to activate but allowed power users to manage the device as they see fit. Sort of like legal jailbreaking.

Mmmm.... I like the idea of that!

You could implement it in settings-- a "Get out of Jail Free" card.

Then, with the Setting on, you could run apps that include "advanced" OS features: File system, File transfer, etc.

They would need to implement it in such a way that preserves the OS, and prevents bypassing the app store and using ripped apps, without buying them.

But there are ways, that this could be done!

post #145 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm.... I like the idea of that!

You could implement it in settings-- a "Get out of Jail Free" card.

Then, with the Setting on, you could run apps that include "advanced" OS features: File system, File transfer, etc.

They would need to implement it in such a way that preserves the OS, and prevents bypassing the app store and using ripped apps, without buying them.

But there are ways, that this could be done!

But then Apple has to SUPPORT all those features and they have to SUPPORT any and all users that wish to "take a walk on the wild side". This doesn't seem like an ideal situation for Apple or the majority of users out there.

The number of users who want this v. the number of users who would completely muck up their device doesn't work out. If the jailbreak users are any indication of the crazy shit that might happen to an iPhone, like turning on SSH but NOT changing the default password, then just imagine if the only hurdle is a toggle switch in Settings and warning.

At least with jailbreaking, which I'm all for, the user has to make a real choice and Apple is not responsible if you are too foolish to figure out how to restore it to factory settings.
post #146 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77

I understand the simplicity they wanted the device to have initially, but I do really, really want a USB port for even just music/document/photo transfer. Everyone carries around a USB, every computer has one, and the interface could be just like the photo import interface, with the capabilities of the mail program to open, say, a document in Pages, GoodReader, or PrintCentral. I don't think it would be difficult or that complex for the consumer at all.

Quote:

I agree.

I agree that a USB port and an Card Slot make sense... for the iPad!

But, what about the iPhone and iPod Touch? I think that the real estate for these ports could be better used-- bigger battery, more RAM.

By taking the "adapter" approach, Apple can offer USB and SD Reader across the entire platform.

Now, about that 18 lb SCSI adapter and cable...

post #147 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The third great age of computing is upon us.

The 'Couch Potato' TM era is here.

Moms. Grandparents. Kids. Dads. Uncles and Aunties.

They already 'know' how to use it.

Apple have stormed into a 2 million unit lead upon everyone on the market.

If they keep that up, that's 12 million in it's 1st year!

Apple are kicking tech 'crepe' out of the opposition and it's not even Christmas and the opposition don't have products on the market yet.

The old one two punch of great product at an Apple price their competition didn't expect...has left them trouserless with teh dick swinging in the wind.

The Mac is Back.

The promise of the computer for the rest of us is finally delivered as we have 'computing for the rest of us.' Easy and elegant to use for 90% of the stuff 'computer' users use stuff for.

And this time?

It's going critical mass. As the Lisa sacrificed for the Mac...so the Mac will take a bow for the iPad. (And get halo shine in the process...expect Mac sales headed towards 4 million a quarter in the next year-ish.)

The Computing Age of Darkness is over. This is the beginning of the end for Microsoft.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Aw, c'mon... don't beat around the bush... come out and say what you really think!

post #148 of 266
Quote:

That's 5,000 iPad only apps. When we include universal apps, the number rises to about 8,200.

I'm amazed at how much more useful many of those universal apps are on my iPad as opposed to how they are on my iPhone, though when I got them for the phone, they seemed very good.

Even some of the iPhone-only apps run pretty well on the iPad; some look fine at 2x.

But yeah, the screen size does wonders for apps that are designed for it. Am excited about what may be coming.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #149 of 266
Quote:

But then Apple has to SUPPORT all those features and they have to SUPPORT any and all users that wish to "take a walk on the wild side". This doesn't seem like an ideal situation for Apple or the majority of users out there.

The number of users who want this v. the number of users who would completely muck up their device doesn't work out. If the jailbreak users are any indication of the crazy shit that might happen to an iPhone, like turning on SSH but NOT changing the default password, then just imagine if the only hurdle is a toggle switch in Settings and warning.

At least with jailbreaking, which I'm all for, the user has to make a real choice and Apple is not responsible if you are too foolish to figure out how to restore it to factory settings.

I would jailbreak if it was that important to me but it isn't. I don't want to have an OS update brick my iPhone, be required to tether to reboot or wait for a hack release to update the OS, security issues, etc. I like to do things in the approved manner and if I need more power I have a bunch of other options like a MBP. But sometimes it is really frustrating not having the ability to save a file. Lots of applications have advanced settings that you are not supposed to monkey with if you don't know what your are doing, but come on, no file storage? What's up with that?

post #150 of 266
Quote:

On top of that, if Apple is going to keep the "iPhone OS" updates split between these two general categories then I wish they'd go ahead and change the name from iPhone OS to iPad OS Since jt's distinctively different in the UI and frameworks from their smaller devices.

Nah! I don't believe you really want to see 2 or 3 flavors of iPhone OS (the AppleTV OS).

They do need to rename it though... Mobile OS X would be good or iOS X. But neither includes the AppleTV or any planned non-moble appliance (TV, Game Box, etc).

I suspect that the next iPod touch (or maybe a new device) would be an affordable transactor device, like those used by the Apple Stores, UPS, FedEX, etc.

I see some of the transactor-like apps being implemented on the iPad: restaurant menus/checks/payment; Stock Taking.

Many of these apps could use: NFC; RFID; Barcode Scanners; CC readers, etc.

It makes sense to have the frameworks and APIs within a single OS (regardless of device screen size).

I also suspect that these new frameworks and APIs will migrate to Mac OS X.

post #151 of 266
Quote:

Nah! I don't believe you really want to see 2 or 3 flavors of iPhone OS (the AppleTV OS).

Anyone of those are fine, IMO. My comment wasn't so much to support multiple names for the same mobile codebase, but the inevitable consumer confusion of calling something iPhone OS and then not updating it alongside the iPhone. The iPod Touch will be getting v4.0 at the same time as the iPhone, albeit with a fee due to accounting methods, but it's still getting it whereas the iPad is not.

Quote:
I also suspect that these new frameworks and APIs will migrate to Mac OS X

I can see a lot of the work Apple has put into making iPhone OS efficient being brought back into the Mac OS fold. As I recall, QuickTime X came to Mac OS from the iPhone OS due to a need for a more efficient video player.
post #152 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I refuse to believe that this oversized iPod is selling so well when it has no USB port, a screen that is bad for reading, is too heavy and uncomfortable to hold, has no multitasking, and has a closed app system. Never mind the reality of the situation; the haters must be right!

Poor, poor haters.

Don't forget it doesn't do flash...
post #153 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The promise of the computer for the rest of us is finally delivered as we have 'computing for the rest of us.' Easy and elegant to use for 90% of the stuff 'computer' users use stuff for.

Sad day because is confirms that 90% of the users don't have a clue how computers work, what a file extension is or that you shouldn't click on an ad banner that says your computer is infected fix now.

post #154 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

It's not the iPhone OS per se. Jailbreaking shows that the functionality is often there. Apple just has to get over the idea that so many restrictions aren't helping them as much as they think they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apparently there are millions of happy customers that don't agree with you. Perhaps it is you, and others of the same mindset, that "just have to get over the idea" that Apple is trying to "please everyone all of the time". They aren't, nor should they be. Apple has, by it's track record, shown itself to be excellent at choosing the proper marketplace to be in. I'm happy to concede that they are better at that then I am. The question is: why aren't you?

I used to JB my iPhones-- even bricked one for a couple of months.

JBing is both beautiful and FUgly. You get to see the robust underlying OS and File System. Did you know that an iPhone makes a pretty capable (if not fast) web server?

The FUgly part is you are reduced to operating at the command line level (or slightly above). All the things that Mac OS X and iPhone OS X do to hide complexity are gone.

Then, Apple releases a new version of the iPhone OS. To take advantage of the new goodies you must install it... then wait for a decent JB. Then go throughout the complexity all over again.

To me, it isn't worth it!

But to users like me, Mel and others who have seen the underlying power, and understand its limitations, it is natural to want to do just a little bit more to exploit/tailor the power to their needs.

Legalized JB would tend to address that for those who want it!

post #155 of 266
Quote:

Oh, I am definitely better at this than you are. No doubt.

You don't know anything about my thoughts, as I'm the one here who usually says that Apple shouldn't be aiming for that last few percent.

But, here, it's not the last few percent. It will be a much bigger percent.

Apple has announced, or at least Jobs has said in an e-mail, that we will get printing support. Great. No printing retards all computers, iPads included. But how much easier would it be with a built-in USB port? Much easier. That's something that MOST iPad owners would appreciate. I use a program called PrintBureau to print. But it requires server software on my Mac, and I have to print through the computer on the network. It's a great solution for when you can use it. But if I'm somewhere else, I can't.

I don't defend Apple no matter what. They make mistakes.

But, wouldn't Apple need provide print drivers (and a mechanism to install and update them)? Which ones? Sure they could pick several popular ones. but they'd be the wrong ones when you're out and about.

I want printing too, but I want it done right!

post #156 of 266
Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I checked out LogMeIn but it is not quite what I want. What I need is ftp, ssh, text editor and the ability to create/edit/save files with .php, .html, .pl, and .xml file extensions.

I think the main problem in trying to use iPhone OS to do this kind of work is the inability to save files. I suppose if I just had ssh I could get by, but I would rather be able to edit the files locally so I don't time out of my session.

Well, there ya' go... you need iPad BBEdit / FCP... mmmm.... I wonder...

They could change their motto to "Software that doesn't suck... it Touches!"

post #157 of 266
Quote:

A girl in my office got an iPad, already had an iPhone but was stuck with a Windows computer. She didn't have the iPad more than a week when she figured out the picture syncing wasn't that great with Windows so she went out and bought a new MBP and ditched Windows altogether. And with no encouragement from me just on her own converted over to Apple.

This makes we wonder what WE see in our Apple products?

In particular an 'Apple Zealot', like myself

Why were we drawn to Apple at such an early stage in our computing life, speaking for myself and other users I know.

What's so 'special' about us?
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #158 of 266
Quote:

Well... Shit, Oh dear... If you are going to use logic and common sense, then we'll never have a meaningful dialog!

post #159 of 266
Quote:

Well, there ya' go... you need iPad BBEdit / FCP... mmmm.... I wonder...

They could change their motto to "Software that doesn't suck... it Touches!"

http://groups.google.com/group/bbedi...8e136d8c320100

post #160 of 266
Quote:

Anyone of those are fine, IMO. My comment wasn't so much to support multiple names for the same mobile codebase, but the inevitable consumer confusion of calling something iPhone OS and then not updating it alongside the iPhone. The iPod Touch will be getting v4.0 at the same time as the iPhone, albeit with a fee due to accounting methods, but it's still getting it whereas the iPad is not.

The iPad OS is a special case, and Apple should take pains to explain this-- it was frozen so the Apple hardware/software developers and independent developers weren't pursuing a moving target. IMO, it is critical that Apple brings the iPad into the fold ASAP. There are some things in 4.0 (Math, DSP, Graphics) that can best be exploited by the iPad (or AppleTV).

Now, as to detaching the OS [name] from the device, I totally agree!

Quote:

I can see a lot of the work Apple has put into making iPhone OS efficient being brought back into the Mac OS fold. As I recall, QuickTime X came to Mac OS from the iPhone OS due to a need for a more efficient video player.

Yes, this is definitely a two-way street!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months