or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months

Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months - Page 5

post #161 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

But, wouldn't Apple need provide print drivers (and a mechanism to install and update them)? Which ones? Sure they could pick several popular ones. but they'd be the wrong ones when you're out and about.

I want printing too, but I want it done right!

With the amount of networkin these days I dream of a time when when drivers reside on the printer or other accessory device, only needing a common, universal protocol to connect devices.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #162 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sad day because is confirms that 90% of the users don't have a clue how computers work, what a file extension is or that you shouldn't click on an ad banner that says your computer is infected fix now.

Hopefully, the iPad users won't be seeing those ad banners

As to the file extension... done right, a user would never need to see one nor need to know that it means... we have an OS file system for that!

Yeah, Yeah, I know, Mobile OS X / iPad doesn't have this totally solved, but it's close enough for non-tech users.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #163 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As the reader I addressed BOTH uses due to it's ambiguity due to the frequently lazy nature of message boards. As the writer you need to be proactive. Regardless if you are technically accurate, your goal is to communicate your idea, which requires understanding your audience. In this case, the audience, also writers on this forum, often use it incorrectly, as Melgross stated.

You can see from the number of posts that both Melgross and I have been on this forum for some time. You can look at our specific posting history to know that we often try to be clear in our writing. If Melgross had wrote what you wrote, iPhone 3Gs, it wouldn't have been ambiguous to me because of my familiarities with his posting style. I'll take note of yours but there isn't years of history for me to understand the person behind the comment at this time, hence the ambiguity.

It's not a big deal, and you obviously can write well and form good arguments, but I think it's one you should consider when posting on any forum. Unfortunately, this is not the "real world" and you will have all ages, cultures, and education levels reading and replying. When in doubt... clarify.

holy crap, let it go
post #164 of 266
Quote:

Or using the standard form when referring to ONE product: "...when multitasking is supported in the next OS release, the iPhone 3G will not get that feature."

Not to mention that he made the what would otherwise be a statement, a question, thus weakening any stance he has regarding the ambiguity of his post.

Sorry to jump in here,

I too had to re-read your sentence for intent. And I got it. However, yes the grammer is perfect(god knows mine is not), IMO that is not the same as clear intent.
So a question - would '3Gs(pl)' be clearer and correct grammer too(also?)?

In my small writing experience (technical reports, requirements for software etc), I find the need to add qualifiers to be clear and or clarify for the user, especially technical stuff. Just an opinion, me no english major.

But back to the topic. IMO iPad is selling well for a few main reasons.

-Instant On/Off. Love it on my iphone. I doubt it would have sold well if the user had to boot up evertime.
-Touch form for a slate-like devise.
However, if in instant On (and I mean instant, no waiting, PC sleep mode is not the same) in a MBP or similar came along, I probably would like that form a little better.
-Simple cheap (inexpensive) apps.

And finally to 'multitask' - a previous poster made a excellant point, if the app just remembered its state when shut down (alot do and it works great) 'true' multitask would be nice but not necessary for a lot of things. I would like it for streaming music, and if the day ever comes, printing.

Question - could Apple force(or strongly suggest) apps to remember their state when closed down? Drawbacks? Is this where the 128k RAM limitations on the 3G come in to play?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #165 of 266
Quote:

Build it and they will come!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #166 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The third great age of computing is upon us.

The 'Couch Potato' TM era is here.

Moms. Grandparents. Kids. Dads. Uncles and Aunties.

They already 'know' how to use it.

Apple have stormed into a 2 million unit lead upon everyone on the market.

If they keep that up, that's 12 million in it's 1st year!

Apple are kicking tech 'crepe' out of the opposition and it's not even Christmas and the opposition don't have products on the market yet.

The old one two punch of great product at an Apple price their competition didn't expect...has left them trouserless with teh dick swinging in the wind.

The Mac is Back.

The promise of the computer for the rest of us is finally delivered as we have 'computing for the rest of us.' Easy and elegant to use for 90% of the stuff 'computer' users use stuff for.

And this time?

It's going critical mass. As the Lisa sacrificed for the Mac...so the Mac will take a bow for the iPad. (And get halo shine in the process...expect Mac sales headed towards 4 million a quarter in the next year-ish.)

The Computing Age of Darkness is over. This is the beginning of the end for Microsoft.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Totally agree with Lemon Bon Bon. I wrote a similar post that we are in the Third Age of Computers. Go Apple. In a decade, Apple will push through the Fourth Age of Computers, since they have all the technology patents lined up.

For the apple haters, I have one word for you--Freudenshade.
post #167 of 266
Quote:

With the amount of networkin these days I dream of a time when when drivers reside on the printer or other accessory device, only needing a common, universal protocol to connect devices.

Yeah, you're right... it should be doable.

I have an older HP printer attached to my AirportExpress. I can print wirelessly from any Mac.

On the iPhone and iPad I use the HP Print app-- but it is not system-wide and only does photos... bleah!

Shouldn't CUPS be able to handle this?

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #168 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Sorry to jump in here,

I too had to re-read your sentence for intent. And I got it. However, yes the grammer is perfect(god knows mine is not), IMO that is not the same as clear intent.
So a question - would '3Gs(pl)' be clearer and correct grammer too(also?)?

In my small writing experience (technical reports, requirements for software etc), I find the need to add qualifiers to be clear and or clarify for the user, especially technical stuff. Just an opinion, me no english major.

But back to the topic. IMO iPad is selling well for a few main reasons.

-Instant On/Off. Love it on my iphone. I doubt it would have sold well if the user had to boot up evertime.
-Touch form for a slate-like devise.
However, if in instant On (and I mean instant, no waiting, PC sleep mode is not the same) in a MBP or similar came along, I probably would like that form a little better.
-Simple cheap (inexpensive) apps.

And finally to 'multitask' - a previous poster made a excellant point, if the app just remembered its state when shut down (alot do and it works great) 'true' multitask would be nice but not necessary for a lot of things. I would like it for streaming music, and if the day ever comes, printing.

Question - could Apple force(or strongly suggest) apps to remember their state when closed down? Drawbacks? Is this where the 128k RAM limitations on the 3G come in to play?

Apple makes it ridiculously easy to save state. The application gets callbacks whenever anything significant happens-- from the application terminating to pressing a key on the keyboard. All the Developer need do is recognize these callbacks and save state,

No, the 128K RAM is just adequate for running most apps. MT on this size RAM would just deliver a slightly different application switching than you get with pressing the home key once and starting another app-- it'd be a little more straight forward from a UI standpoint, but, operationally you'd gain nothing (other than dissatisfied users).

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #169 of 266
Quote:

Maybe Apple will release a totally new concept printer especially for the iPad? They could call it the 'Silent Writer' ..
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #170 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by joguide View Post

Totally agree with Lemon Bon Bon. I wrote a similar post that we are in the Third Age of Computers. Go Apple. In a decade, Apple will push through the Fourth Age of Computers, since they have all the technology patents lined up.

For the apple haters, I have one word for you--Freudenshade.

"Freudenshade" I love it!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #171 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe Apple will release a totally new concept printer especially for the iPad? They could call it the 'Silent Writer' ..

OMG, you remember that... it wasn't even an Apple product just a rebranded TrendCom printer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_SilenType

I loved the way the print would just, sort of, "disappear" after a few weeks... can't get any better security than that!

I really need to go to storage, I have an old printer's type tray filled with Apple buttons and even a SilentType logo and thermal printhead!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #172 of 266
Quote:

"Freudenshade" I love it!

[In this post got it totally wrong I was corrected lower down, apologies ... ]

Doesn't work for me ... "pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others" exactly where is Apple's misfortune?

If anything it's we Apple Fans that might be guilty of Freudenshade. I for one was ecstatic to see MS market cap way down from its highs and Zune flop etc ... (I could go on all night) . Bad Digitalclips! Smack!

I stick to my premiss that the Apple haters are all drinking DroolAid.
post #173 of 266
Quote:

OMG, you remember that... it wasn't even an Apple product just a rebranded TrendCom printer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_SilenType

I loved the way the print would just, sort of, "disappear" after a few weeks... can't get any better security than that!

I really need to go to storage, I have an old printer's type tray filled with Apple buttons and even a SilentType logo and thermal printhead!

Remember them? I sold them, tons of them
You mean the print wasn't supposed to do that? I always told people that was a feature!
post #174 of 266
Quote:

Doesn't work for me ... "pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others" exactly where is Apple's misfortune?

If anything it's we Apple Fans that might be guilty of Freudenshade. I for one was ecstatic to see MS market cap way down from its highs and Zune flop etc ... (I could go on all night) . Bad Digitalclips! Smack!

I stick to my premiss that the Apple haters are all drinking DroolAid.

No, No you missed it-- it isn't Schadenfreude it's Freudenshade.

I missed it too, at first glance!

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...l.jpg&newest=1

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #175 of 266
Quote:

Remember them? I sold them, tons of them
You mean the print wasn't supposed to do that? I always told people that was a feature!

Also, they were very quiet as they jammed the paper into an accordion-pleated solid mass...

... and they, very rarely, caught fire!

ahhh, the good times!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #176 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The problem here is that when perfect grammar indicates something else than what the writer is supposing it to represent, it's wrong.

In your case, 3Gs indicates to most people, a phone model. You're so taken with what you think you wrote, that you don't see that. As a result, your writing wasn't clear. As I said, many people write 3Gs as opposed to 3GS. Are they correct? Maybe not, but it occurs so often, that it's accepted.

This is a fruitless argument for you. Drop it please.

Here's a neutral observation, fwiw: He's no more obstinate than you are being in this. I actually think that he makes a lot more sense on this issue. You should stop it. And move on.
post #177 of 266
Quote:

No, No you missed it-- it isn't Schadenfreude it's Freudenshade.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...l.jpg&newest=1

Ah! I get it, too funny. Sorry lack of sleep.

Very clever, I am still laughing now I see it. I claim visual Lysdexia as an excuse .. hence I didn't even see it. It reminds me of those Maniakleptics that go around leaving things everywhere.
post #178 of 266
Quote:

Also, they were very quiet as they jammed the paper into an accordion-pleated solid mass...

ahhh, the good times!

They went through thermal heads at the rates of knots. My repair department (me when no one was looking) was for ever swapping them out.

Thank god the Paper Tiger came along eh?
post #179 of 266
(Deleted my own comment).
post #180 of 266
I echo cwfrederick's comment: perhaps it is best to drop it, guys.

Especially those of you who are mature posters on AI. It does not look sensible when you start to pull rank -- if anything, it conveys a sense that you've run out of things to say, and that AI is for a bunch of insiders/old-timers.

If you'd like to take on an argument head-on, by all means, do so; otherwise, have the wisdom to call a truce and move on.

Add: I'll shut up now, and not say anything more on this issue.
post #181 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He specifically used 'don't' (do not) as opposed to 'does not' (which would have been preceded by the singular '3G.'

It appears to me that the problem could also have been that neither of you -- or melgross -- took the time to read or digest properly.

We're aware that it was "grammatically correct" as my initial post addressed his post from both angles for the reasons previously stated. This derailing really needs to end as it's been explained ad nauseum and there is simply no valid argument that technically proper grammar equates to good communication.
post #182 of 266
Quote:

They went through thermal heads at the rates of knots. My repair department (me when no one was looking) was for ever swapping them out.

Thank god the Paper Tiger came along eh?

Ahhh... Paper Tiger! Yes! Cheap, Fast, and would run days before disintegrating!

Here's a trivia question for ya': in the 1978-80 era there was an expensive 120 column (I think 144 column, actually) dot matrix printer with a parallel interface. It was mainly used on minis, but we sold some with the Apple ]{.

Anyway, whenever we had a repair, we would take it to the company's office in Santa Clara. The customer service rep would swear at us for 20 minutes, before finally accepting the repair. A week later we would pick up the unit with the same verbal abuse.

I can't remember the name of the printer, but it was best of breed (for a while)

AIR, it had mm something in its name!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #183 of 266
Quote:

These printers needed special paper, right?
post #184 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I wish they do more frequent upgrade of the Mac Mini too. If you compare the higher end Mini (with more RAM perhaps) plus the Monitor, what price range are we talking about here. And how does it compare in terms of off the self iMac or the MBPs -- both in terms of prices and power?

I don't do gaming, but I like to open all sorts of programs, including photo editing plus a gazillon browser windows open.

I have not used the Mac Mini yet so I am hesitant to use it as my main "desktop" computer. I like the notebook because I can carry it with me but it is still heavy to carry around and not the best form for desktop.

In fact, since the Mac Mini, with the software, can become a server -- (can it also serve as working as a desktop while also a server?) -- it is possible in theory to access all programs and contents using the iPad as "thin-client" monitor??? I am speculating here, and I do not know the technical aspects as much. But it is the exosystem that would work best for what I am doing.

Comments Pros and cons of such an ecosystem, or a better alternative setup,would be appreciated.

This is why I am mulling the idea of a "deesktop-iPad" ecosystem, with BlueTooth and Wifi, it may be possible to have them interconnected so that one could take a respite from the desktop once in awhile while working on all day. And use the iPad to relax on the counch or outside.

What are the most reliable external disk drives now? I like the idea of stacking the drive(s) with the Mac Mini; I have two disk drives right now but they are vertical -- not stable from toppling..

CGC

The way I see it, six, seven eight years from now my Cinema Display should still be going strong, meaning that I can upgrade the Mini three or four times in a 10-year span without having to worry about the monitor. Each upgrade will increase the power at my disposal and I get refreshed software as well, not to mention likely never having to replace the internal harddrive. Minis maintain their value remarkably well so the cost of going this route is less than you'd think. My problem with the iMac is the combining of a monitor with a life span of at least 10 years with computer components that do not have that much of a life expectancy.
post #185 of 266
Quote:

These printers needed special paper, right?

Yep, we used to sell them in boxes of ten.
post #186 of 266
Quote:

Yep, we used to sell them in boxes of ten.

10? Wow! Do you recall the pricing?
post #187 of 266
Quote:

Ahhh... Paper Tiger! Yes! Cheap, Fast, and would run days before disintegrating!

Here's a trivia question for ya': in the 1978-80 era there was an expensive 120 column (I think 144 column, actually) dot matrix printer with a parallel interface. It was mainly used on minis, but we sold some with the Apple ]{.

Anyway, whenever we had a repair, we would take it to the company's office in Santa Clara. The customer service rep would swear at us for 20 minutes, before finally accepting the repair. A week later we would pick up the unit with the same verbal abuse.

I can't remember the name of the printer, but it was best of breed (for a while)

AIR, it had mm something in its name!

I can't remember ... to be honest ... my dad who was my partner would know but sadly he passed at age 87 this March. He was the printer man, being an ex Radio HAM he loved soldering anything that moved and those printer cables kept him happy for hours. I spent most of my time when not selling, replacing chips in the Apple ][ mother boards. I can't tell you how many times I had to pull them out of my fingers because I failed to use the chip extractor.

Happy days as you say
post #188 of 266
Quote:

Hell no lol. I do remember an Apple ][, with language card, two disk drives, Paper Tiger and green or amber monitor with Visical, Apple Writer and PFS was around £1,600.
post #189 of 266
Quote:

AIR, it was a couple bucks for an 80' roll-- it was very thin, and brownish... very similar to 3M ThermoFax paper.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #190 of 266
Quote:

AIR, it was a couple bucks for an 80' roll-- it was very thin, and brownish... very similar to 3M ThermoFax paper.

mmm... brownish? They were pure white when we go them from Apple, sounds like they were selling you old ones!

OMG seen the breaking news about Google dumping all Windows PCs for Macs and Linux?
post #191 of 266
Quote:

mmm... brownish? They were pure white when we go them from Apple, sounds like they were selling you old ones!

Well, off white-- cream colored. They seemed to change color over time.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #192 of 266
Asus has announced a tablet computer:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364354,00.asp

Love the comments at the bottom. One guy suggests that the iPad isn't capable of more than surfing the web and viewing vids. Ha ha ha. He should have been at my meeting this morning.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #193 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Asus has announced a tablet computer:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364354,00.asp

Love the comments at the bottom. One guy suggests that the iPad isn't capable of more than surfing the web and viewing vids. Ha ha ha. He should have been at my meeting this morning.

Nice reply there from the guy pointing out the limitations of the thing. Not 50,000 apps but hey, 50,000 viruses!
post #194 of 266
Quote:

Well, off white-- cream colored. They seemed to change color over time.

yep, they looked singed at the edges over time.
post #195 of 266
Quote:

Nice reply there from the guy pointing out the limitations of the thing. Not 50,000 apps but hey, 50,000 viruses!

Almost to the day that info leaks suggesting Google is switching to Mac and Linux, mainly the former, for improved security.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2f3f04e-6...44feab49a.html

post #196 of 266
[QUOTE=newbee;1642493]What a radical concept ... selling stuff instead of giving away ... absurd.[quote]

It's certainly absurd to make us pay for something that they have on their other machines, and that much cheaper machines have as well.

Quote:
Thanks for the inventory of what you've "got" ... which was neither asked for nor is relative to the accuracy / importance of your posts. By the way, when you ran your "company" did you give your stuff away? ... I think not.

You made a really dumb remark. I'm pointing out that you're ignorant.

Quote:
To be accurate, this is my quote from post #110.

Maybe these companies are more suitable for you

But hey, why let the facts get in the way of , yet another, post from a "Global Moderator."

I know exactly what you said. I also understand very well what you implied.

It was rude, wrong, and deserved a strong reply, mod or not.
post #197 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Please don't do that because when you do you that assume you know all about me and condemn me to ignorance or inexperience, both of which are wrong.

Please don't adopt that tone with me, because now you're being offensive. My grammar was perfect, and this insistence that I was wrong in my grammar or intent of meaning is wrong on your part and it has now escalated into a huge distraction from our original discussion among people I think are agreeing (at least on the whole that Apple's products are good).

I'll agree to drop this of course, because this is all silly in that I don't want to waste time discussing and arguing grammar with people who are here for the same reasons as I am, and that is to discuss these lovely products that Apple builds. That's why I'm here. I am a big Apple fan and have been so since the early days of Apple and I love discussing Apple products (released and the rumoured-to-be-released<smile>).

To get us back on track we were discussing the multi-tasking capabilities in the iPhone. My original comment was that because the phone can indeed support it and yet they have not allowed it in the 3G model with the upcoming OS v4, why is that?

The model is certainly capable, so what are the reasons they would not allow that feature in that model? That's the point I was originally discussing before our discussion devolved into "our distraction".

My assumption is that the user experience would suffer - that's one reason the 3G doesn't get multi-tasking, despite the device being capable of supporting it. One other reason (and this is the cynic in me) is that they want to chop off support for old hardware and provide a strong reason to upgrade to the latest release (ka-ching!). Whether this is their number one reason, I'm not sure.

I'm curious to know what others might think - what do you think?

Its getting tiring. Your grammar may have been perfect, but your meaning wan't understandable.
post #198 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Well said.

Actually, if several people misunderstand what was said, then it wasn't communicated well.
post #199 of 266
Quote:

All right, I'll bite!

I need folders too-- or stashes or piles, whatever! As George Carlin would say: "I need a place to put my stuff!"

I had hoped that Apple would implement some mechanism (better than what they did) to group apps.

A search. or genesis scroll, to get to apps is just not good enough.

Then there's the need for multiple files, within and across apps.

It's been a while, but JailBreaking didn't have any solutions... worse, in many ways.

One problem: I don't think a traditional (hierarchical) representation of a file system is the right answer for a small screen... you really need 2-3 levels for a drill-down/up.

How do you do a fan-out of files on a small screen without complicating it for the average user?

One approach, I've thought about, is kind of an hierarchical cover flow where:

-- at the top level are Covers (folders) for App Categories (games, utility, art, whatever)
-- touching a Cover flips it and provides a scrollable list of the contents of that cover, both Songs (files) and other Covers (folders)
-- selecting a Song (file or app) item opens the app that created (or last used) the file and primes it with the file data.
-- selecting a Cover (folder) would bring up the next level of CoverFlow
-- there would be some sort of hint displayed to indicate where you are in the hierarchy

You, likely, wouldn't' need to go more than 3-4 levels deep to satisfy the practical limitations of the device.

I've been playing with this for a Music app-- it works pretty well, even for home movies, podcasts, etc.

That's the best I've been able to come up with-- I'd like to hear the thoughts of others

I don't think Apple will do more than one level. I'd like to see two. If for games, we have two levels, it should be enough. I would imagine the same thing would be true for most everything else.

I really can't think of a simpler way of doing this. Apple has search, which works fine if the name of the app is remembered, or at least the first couple of letters. But the problem is that many apps have names that seem to have nothing to do with what they do, and a number of apps have similar names. Sometimes search is unsuccessful.
post #200 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's Apple's fault. They should have known this would become a problem when they named the 3GSs 3GS. in other words, we were fine with 3Gs when there was no 3GS, So now instead of saying 3Gs, 3G models would be less confusing.

It's still the responsibility of the writer to make it clear
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months