or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months

Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months - Page 6

post #201 of 266
Good job Apple!

I am still debating whether to get the current iPad, wait for gen 2, or see what Android tablets develop. Though I like the combination of a Nexus One as a wifi hotpot paired with a wfii iPad. Tough knowing that Apple will almost surely toss a camera on that thing next year.
post #202 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I agree, he does .... and a very valid one.

The problem is that knowing that there are two models with names that would contain, or not contain the "s", but are otherwise the same, he couldn't rely on using a lower case to express the plural of "3G", because he should have known that it would be confused with "3GS", which many people write as "3Gs".

In addition, when he referred to it in the second instance as "the 3Gs", that would definitely be accepted as the " the 3GS" . The grammar would be wrong there, as it's not pluralized at the first reading, only after he explained it. The first sentence refers to it as "release iPhone 3Gs" Which COULD mean plural. So it's confusing no matter how it's read. It's only with his clarification, that it makes sense from his perspective.

The only excuse I can see is that he has few posts which could mean that he doesn't frequent forums, and so hasn't seen the way its been written.
post #203 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree that a USB port and an Card Slot make sense... for the iPad!

But, what about the iPhone and iPod Touch? I think that the real estate for these ports could be better used-- bigger battery, more RAM.

By taking the "adapter" approach, Apple can offer USB and SD Reader across the entire platform.

Now, about that 18 lb SCSI adapter and cable...

I don't think they need them. We have to remember that the 30 pin connector was designed specifically for the iPod, which is small, and has little room for more than one connector.

That excuse no longer exists for the iPad. I don't understand why a few people would protest the inclusion of those ports, which Apple understands to be important, or they wouldn't have the camera connection kit, which does more than just connect cameras.
post #204 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Even some of the iPhone-only apps run pretty well on the iPad; some look fine at 2x.

But yeah, the screen size does wonders for apps that are designed for it. Am excited about what may be coming.

Yes, that's true.
post #205 of 266
Quote:

But, wouldn't Apple need provide print drivers (and a mechanism to install and update them)? Which ones? Sure they could pick several popular ones. but they'd be the wrong ones when you're out and about.

I want printing too, but I want it done right!

Since Jobs did e-mail someone stating that the iPad would get printing support, it's apparently a done deal. As it's a done deal, it would be nice if they went further, and allowed it though USB. If they do that, then why not have a USB port in the device itself?

I also don't like the way these things are made. It's not a great idea to have large dongles directly connected to a delicate port. I would rather Apple supplied these with a short, maybe 6", cable to the iPad.
post #206 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

But back to the topic. IMO iPad is selling well for a few main reasons.

-Instant On/Off. Love it on my iphone. I doubt it would have sold well if the user had to boot up evertime.
-Touch form for a slate-like devise.
However, if in instant On (and I mean instant, no waiting, PC sleep mode is not the same) in a MBP or similar came along, I probably would like that form a little better.
-Simple cheap (inexpensive) apps.

And finally to 'multitask' - a previous poster made a excellant point, if the app just remembered its state when shut down (alot do and it works great) 'true' multitask would be nice but not necessary for a lot of things. I would like it for streaming music, and if the day ever comes, printing.

Question - could Apple force(or strongly suggest) apps to remember their state when closed down? Drawbacks? Is this where the 128k RAM limitations on the 3G come in to play?

Right now, many apps do save their state. but it's up to the developers. With OS 4 saving state will be up to the OS, so all apps that need to do that will just do it.

And yes, that one reason why 128 MB isn't enough.

But another reason is that some apps need more memory than others, and without virtual memory, there is no grabbing from Flash. The limit is a hard limit.
post #207 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Here's a neutral observation, fwiw: He's no more obstinate than you are being in this. I actually think that he makes a lot more sense on this issue. You should stop it. And move on.

I think you're the only one who agrees with him, so I expect you would think that.

But it's his confused post that began this, so he should end it.
post #208 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Asus has announced a tablet computer:
Love the comments at the bottom. One guy suggests that the iPad isn't capable of more than surfing the web and viewing vids. Ha ha ha. He should have been at my meeting this morning.

Enjoy the priceless commentators of the pc rag boys:

Quote:
ASUS - make sure hardware is at par or above iPads quality - do great marketing - and you will have a solid winner.

Quote:
SO glad a Pad that is actually USABLE has some along...it beiwilders me why people will spend lots of money to buy an IPAD that doesnt run any website with flash..nor can it come close to any thing an actual computer can do. THANK GOD a true INNOVATION has come along! APPLE IS OVER RATED AND UNDERPERFORMING.

It beiwilders me too.

Quote:
Oh and one more thing guess what is under the hood of your precious Mac? All pc parts oh no :-(...... yes that is right a long time ago in a galaxy far far away ..... apple could not keep up with technology.... so we were nice enough to lend them our good

The common good.

Quote:
Apple has never created anything original what are you talking about? This and just about every apple product, is only a redefined dummed down version of someone elses product designed to look pretty and restrict the users ability to perform fundimental tasks forcing him to buy a new upgraded device every year. Mac OSX, ipod, all apple computers, just ideas someone else created wrapped up in a apple logo and sold to the i-dots for twice as much as its worth.

It might be fundimental to integrate some spell checking in the next windoze version.

Quote:
you kno you guys should at least acknowledge the fact that apple does make good products for ppl who arent so bright with computers

Ah finally a moderate, in the kno.

Quote:
I hate itunes(resource vampire) and drm...thats my issue with apple...Maybe google will save us?

Save us oh google from apple's drm in itunes!

Quote:
Finally....a tablet that can replace my netbook. I can browse the net with all it's flash glory like my PC. I can skype (video chat) and all that can be done with a multitasking PC same as my netbook bec it has windows.

Morning glory, flash glory and not being arsed to add -ause to bec.

Quote:
The ipad is a toy. This is a tool. I like toys. I need tools. 'nuff said.

This guys is obviously not a tool.

Quote:
Actually Apple licensed the patents from independants outside of apple and built on their work to apple-fy them.

An independant opinion.

Quote:
so when the iPad said that with a 1GHZ CPU, that single threats, and gets 10 hour battery - my response was "...makes sense. Asus has a full powered 15.6" LED screen with spinning hard drive, optical drive, wifi, dual core CPU with a Real OS that runs for 5 hours..." I'm not impressed in anyway by the iPad because it's not even an original device - the JooJoo came out months ahead and had the same problem -

My grip on reality is singularly threatened by this post.

Quote:
The iPad is such a dumb idea, I've had better ideas in the toilet!
I HATE APPLE AND I WILL NEVER USE ONE.

I have never used an apple either.

Quote:
Asus says it'll get *at least* 10 hrs of battery life.

*at least*
post #209 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Right now, many apps do save their state. but it's up to the developers. With OS 4 saving state will be up to the OS, so all apps that need to do that will just do it.

And yes, that one reason why 128 MB isn't enough.

But another reason is that some apps need more memory than others, and without virtual memory, there is no grabbing from Flash. The limit is a hard limit.

Apps saving state (aka fast app switching) is nice feature with 4.0. However, it seems that apps need to be recompiled with iPhone SDK 4.0 for this feature to work. So it will take some time even after 4.0 release. Just cross your fingers and hope your favorite app developer keeps up
post #210 of 266
'Apple has never created anything original what are you talking about? This and just about every apple product, is only a redefined dummed down version of someone elses product designed to look pretty and restrict the users ability to perform fundimental tasks forcing him to buy a new upgraded device every year. Mac OSX, ipod, all apple computers, just ideas someone else created wrapped up in a apple logo and sold to the i-dots for twice as much as its worth. '

Have to agree that APPLE could be putting a little more into their products to at least bring them up to par with whats out there
SOME EXAMPLES:

1. LED Flash...........Most cellphones have had this feature since the year 2000

2. LED light to remind you of message or appointment etc. Once again most cellphones have had this for 10 years

The list goes on and on. The IPHONE should be giving us all the features that are currently available on other cellphones. That's not to much to ask.
post #211 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

'Apple has never created anything original what are you talking about? This and just about every apple product, is only a redefined dummed down version of someone elses product designed to look pretty and restrict the users ability to perform fundimental tasks forcing him to buy a new upgraded device every year. Mac OSX, ipod, all apple computers, just ideas someone else created wrapped up in a apple logo and sold to the i-dots for twice as much as its worth. '

Have to agree that APPLE could be putting a little more into their products to at least bring them up to par with whats out there
SOME EXAMPLES:

1. LED Flash...........Most cellphones have had this feature since the year 2000

2. LED light to remind you of message or appointment etc. Once again most cellphones have had this for 10 years

The list goes on and on. The IPHONE should be giving us all the features that are currently available on other cellphones. That's not to much to ask.

Nobody could be that ignorant or stupid to believe anything you said. Could they?

BTW, most cell phones don't have the features/functions that need/require/use an LED flash or light. PERIOD. Even most smartphones don't have LED flash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_smartphones
post #212 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Apps saving state (aka fast app switching) is nice feature with 4.0. However, it seems that apps need to be recompiled with iPhone SDK 4.0 for this feature to work. So it will take some time even after 4.0 release. Just cross your fingers and hope your favorite app developer keeps up

Apparently, that's not required. Just a few lines of code needs to be added.
post #213 of 266
Quote:

Apparently, that's not required. Just a few lines of code needs to be added.

For background operations/tasks, yes. Not for Fast App Switching feature. It will be added to all apps compiled by 4.0 SDK without any additional code.
post #214 of 266
Great job APPL! keep em coming
Get A Mac.
Get A Mac.
post #215 of 266
Quote:

[
You made a really dumb remark. I'm pointing out that you're ignorant.

The "dumb remark" you seem to be referring to is as follows:

"Thanks for the inventory of what you've "got" ... which was neither asked for nor is relative to the accuracy / importance of your posts.

Are you saying that telling me of all the Apple stuff you "say" you own somehow points to ignorance on my part? .... that's hilarious. All you've really managed to do is to prove that one of us is truly ignorant .... here's a clue ... look in the mirror to see who it is.

Quote:

[
I know exactly what you said. I also understand very well what you implied.

Ah, the "mind reader" strikes again. This is what happens when you don't understand what you read ... kinda like 3GS and 3Gs, you know?
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #216 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Good job Apple!

I am still debating whether to get the current iPad, wait for gen 2, or see what Android tablets develop. Though I like the combination of a Nexus One as a wifi hotpot paired with a wfii iPad. Tough knowing that Apple will almost surely toss a camera on that thing next year.

If your main reason for waiting for version 2 iPad is the camera-- then no need to wait!

Consider:

-- The next iPad may or may not include a camera or cameras (front-facing or back-facing)
-- A camera in the tablet form factor would be clumsy to use, as would be a cell phone.
-- Can you "picture" how one would look using a Tablet as a Camera or Cell Phone?
-- Steve Jobs wouldn't like to see that "picture" of an iPad (nor would you or I)

However, this does not mean that there is no need to connect a camera to the iPad. The iPad is good for storing and manipulating pictures, just not for taking pictures.

Using the camera connection kit you can plug in a USB camera (the iPhone works great) and suck pictures into the iPad. Same, if your Camera uses an SD card.

I am not familiar enough with the Nexus One to understand the connection with an iPad. But if it can connect a standard USB port (with adapter, if necessary) or a standard SD card, you're. likely, good to go!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #217 of 266
There are apps that allow the iPhone to act as a remote camera for the iPad... haven't tried any, though.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #218 of 266
Quote:

Actually, if several people misunderstand what was said, then it wasn't communicated well.

You, sir, are surely the center of the universe! (Well, at least the AI universe).
post #219 of 266
Quote:

Since Jobs did e-mail someone stating that the iPad would get printing support, it's apparently a done deal. As it's a done deal, it would be nice if they went further, and allowed it though USB. If they do that, then why not have a USB port in the device itself?

I also don't like the way these things are made. It's not a great idea to have large dongles directly connected to a delicate port. I would rather Apple supplied these with a short, maybe 6", cable to the iPad.

The dongle bit bothers me too-- I destroyed 3 Mophie JuicePack Airs because of the cable connected to the micro USB port.

When you think about it, anything* sticking out from the tablet is an accident waiting to happen... extending the dongle's distance from the tPad, by adding a short cable, only increases the odds of jerking the dongle and damaging the port.

* Earphones, Standard iPad cable, Camera Connection Kit, and standard USB cable or SD card (if ports for these existed).

For ultra mobile devices (smart Phone, iPod) and semi-mobile devices (Tablets, iPad) it would seem to make sense to exchange data, while on the go, by by bumping devices over WiFi or BT, rather than binding them together with clumsy cables, memory cards/sticks and adapters.

We're not there yet, but I suspect that, in the near future, most devices we want to "connect" with our ultra and semi-mobile devices will have satisfactory wireless bump capability.

post #220 of 266

Duh.

People, me included, want printing on the iPad.

SJ has said that it will come.

Some, me included, say a USB port (and maybe some popular drivers) would help.

That's not it, though,

With the iPad you have an in-your-face mobile device that focuses your attention.

Let's say that, today, you could connect a printer to the iPad vis the USB adapter-- not as good as a USB port, but [grudgingly] acceptable.

Then you fire up Pages, Photos, or whatever app and start printing!

Then what?

You wait (and wait, and wait, and wait) for for the printing to finish... there is no Background task for printing... You are stuck watching some kind of progress indicator.

Slapping forehead! The OS (3.2) doesn't support it, Stupid!"

The iPad OS (3.2) was frozen to provide a stationary target for Apple and independent Developers.

This fall, OS 4,0 will add the capability (finish background task) that will properly support system-wide printing on the iPad.

Meanwhile, specialty apps provide printing for those who are willing to accept the limitations!

Sometimes, I'm so dumb that I even surprise myself!

post #221 of 266
Maybe I'm the only one who worries about what form this rumored printing support will take. Is the iPad now going to come preloaded with hundreds of printer drivers? If not, how will it work? Perhaps using a Mac or PC as the intermediary spooler/driver to the printer?

As for a USB port, I can understand why Apple skipped this. The moment they include the port, now users expect the iPad to support any USB device they might try to connect. This also means driver support and huge potential headaches.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #222 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

For the trolls that's easy. Everybody is a fanboy now.

Not *exactly* true... See .sig for the proper/accepted definition of an Apple Fanboy.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #223 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Maybe I'm the only one who worries about what form this rumored printing support will take. Is the iPad now going to come preloaded with hundreds of printer drivers? If not, how will it work? Perhaps using a Mac or PC as the intermediary spooler/driver to the printer?

If they stick to something simple, it could be just EPS or PCL.
post #224 of 266
I didn't know the 8GB iPod Touch (even the newest one I bought ) will not be able to utilize the multitasking update. Only the 16GB/32GB models.
post #225 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If they stick to something simple, it could be just EPS or PCL.

Is that the only issue, though? Drivers control a variety of printer functions and specifications. Would it be a satisfactory user experience to have limited or no control over basics such as paper feed, print area, print density, etc.? How do the third-party iPad prints tools handle these issues?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #226 of 266
Quote:

Let's say that, today, you could connect a printer to the iPad vis the USB adapter-- not as good as a USB port, but [grudgingly] acceptable.

Then you fire up Pages, Photos, or whatever app and start printing!

Then what?

You wait (and wait, and wait, and wait) for for the printing to finish... there is no Background task for printing... You are stuck watching some kind of progress indicator.

Slapping forehead! The OS (3.2) doesn't support it, Stupid!"

How do you know that?

iTunes and Mail work fine in the background on iPhone OS 3.2. It's at least theoretically possible that Apple could have printing work in the background.

It's simply THIRD PARTY apps that don't background.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #227 of 266
Quote:

If your main reason for waiting for version 2 iPad is the camera-- then no need to wait!

Consider:

-- The next iPad may or may not include a camera or cameras (front-facing or back-facing)
-- A camera in the tablet form factor would be clumsy to use, as would be a cell phone.
-- Can you "picture" how one would look using a Tablet as a Camera or Cell Phone?
-- Steve Jobs wouldn't like to see that "picture" of an iPad (nor would you or I)

However, this does not mean that there is no need to connect a camera to the iPad. The iPad is good for storing and manipulating pictures, just not for taking pictures.

Using the camera connection kit you can plug in a USB camera (the iPhone works great) and suck pictures into the iPad. Same, if your Camera uses an SD card.

I am not familiar enough with the Nexus One to understand the connection with an iPad. But if it can connect a standard USB port (with adapter, if necessary) or a standard SD card, you're. likely, good to go!

I'd like to use Skype to videochat eventually. The iPad would be great for it. I don't need a rear-facing camera. You'd look like a moron trying to take photos with an iPad.

As for transferring photos, can that not be done via Bluetooth?

My point about the Nexus One, was that I can use the wifi hotspot feature in Android 2.2 to create a wifi hotspot and just run an iPad off that. Our carriers allow that, here in Canada. No need to buy the 3G version and get a separate data plan.
post #228 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I didn't know the 8GB iPod Touch (even the newest one I bought ) will not be able to utilize the multitasking update. Only the 16GB/32GB models.

Fragmentation?
post #229 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Different people have different preferences, but I don't know anyone willing to die over them. I hate Windows, but I own a copy for VMWare. Don't worry, I'm not going to kill myself now.

The expression was a hyperbole. I am rather baffled, how many people who hate Apple/Steve Jobs spends so much time in sites like this. Some actually posted in the thousands, the highest was more than five thousand -- that is a lot of time in a year of two, They are not likely to be successful missionaries preaching this and that about the evil that Apple/Steve Jobs are. Then, as if a new messiah came forth, every time a copycat was announced, intoning their "Halleluiahs" even before they left the concept stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I think that some of these companies will realize the hard way that people don't like a product that is thrown on the market and then not supported. I think some of them have realized it and that is why we have seen all these products retracted before going on sale.

Kinda like video game systems, I see room in the market for no more then three companies.

As it should be. If people understands nature, they will find that any living ecosystem is more stable if there is diversity. Some reasons for the existence of certain organisms defy human logic sometimes.

Instead, we spend our time or take delight about such stupid things like:

Why do Apple fanbois buy costly Apple products? And the reverse, why would anyone buy an Android phone, if iPhone already exist?

CGC
post #230 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

For background operations/tasks, yes. Not for Fast App Switching feature. It will be added to all apps compiled by 4.0 SDK without any additional code.

Well, that makes it even easier, doesn't it? Just run your source code through the new compiler in addition to the few new lines of code, which you would have to do anyway.
post #231 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The "dumb remark" you seem to be referring to is as follows:

"Thanks for the inventory of what you've "got" ... which was neither asked for nor is relative to the accuracy / importance of your posts.

Are you saying that telling me of all the Apple stuff you "say" you own somehow points to ignorance on my part? .... that's hilarious. All you've really managed to do is to prove that one of us is truly ignorant .... here's a clue ... look in the mirror to see who it is.

Ah, the "mind reader" strikes again. This is what happens when you don't understand what you read ... kinda like 3GS and 3Gs, you know?

It was pointing out, and pretty well, seeing as how upset you are over it, that I don't need to look to another company, despite your lame remark about my needing to.

And it's your poor writing that responsible for misunderstandings.
post #232 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You, sir, are surely the center of the universe! (Well, at least the AI universe).

I'm the center of mine, as you are yours, and as he is of his.

My point still stands.
post #233 of 266
Quote:

The dongle bit bothers me too-- I destroyed 3 Mophie JuicePack Airs because of the cable connected to the micro USB port.

When you think about it, anything* sticking out from the tablet is an accident waiting to happen... extending the dongle's distance from the tPad, by adding a short cable, only increases the odds of jerking the dongle and damaging the port.

* Earphones, Standard iPad cable, Camera Connection Kit, and standard USB cable or SD card (if ports for these existed).

For ultra mobile devices (smart Phone, iPod) and semi-mobile devices (Tablets, iPad) it would seem to make sense to exchange data, while on the go, by by bumping devices over WiFi or BT, rather than binding them together with clumsy cables, memory cards/sticks and adapters.

We're not there yet, but I suspect that, in the near future, most devices we want to "connect" with our ultra and semi-mobile devices will have satisfactory wireless bump capability.

If we need a dongle, it's safer to have one with a cord. A solid one like these is easy to damage a port with, as the leverage from it can pop the post socket right off the board, if pressed down by mistake. but a cord doesn't have that problem. The connector hardly extends from the socket, and if it's pulled out, it's less likely to damage anything. Even if it's dangling straight down, the cord is so close to the socket that leverage is slight.
post #234 of 266
Quote:

As for a USB port, I can understand why Apple skipped this. The moment they include the port, now users expect the iPad to support any USB device they might try to connect. This also means driver support and huge potential headaches.

Printing with the Mac or PC is the way printing apps for the iPad/phone work now, so that would be nothing new. I hope it's direct. I can print images or text, or combinations. These programs are pretty sophisticated. Check out PrintBureau.

But I mostly just want to print with a print button. I see no problem with including the USB port. It's up to Apple to decide how much support they will give it. There's no reason why they couldn't give full USB support, if they wanted to. They just don't want to, so far.

As for drivers, they could allow the downloading of any drivers the customer wanted. They have them all, and the ability to allow that. This is nothing too difficult from a technical standpoint. It's just a matter of will.
post #235 of 266
Quote:

I see no problem with including the USB port. It's up to Apple to decide how much support they will give it. There's no reason why they couldn't give full USB support, if they wanted to. They just don't want to, so far.

I don't get this. The 30-pin connector already does USB signaling so why does it have to be replaced by Micro-USB or Mini-USB (the only two that would fit) just so some people can have printing while completely hurting the entire iDevice line of accessories and Apple's ability to push the use of the connector by limiting it to just USB signaling?

Quote:
As for drivers, they could allow the downloading of any drivers the customer wanted. They have them all, and the ability to allow that. This is nothing too difficult from a technical standpoint. It's just a matter of will.

I don't get this either. Some of those print drivers are huge. I can't imagine anyone DLing hundreds of MBs for a print driver to use once when it's faster to send to a PC to print.

Apple clearly has positioned these devices to be portable, auxiliary computing devices, so unless there is a method that doesn't require a lengthy and archaic driver DL for each new printer I don't see this happening without the use of a 3rd-party app.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #236 of 266
Quote:

Printing with the Mac or PC is the way printing apps for the iPad/phone work now, so that would be nothing new. I hope it's direct. I can print images or text, or combinations. These programs are pretty sophisticated. Check out PrintBureau.

But I mostly just want to print with a print button. I see no problem with including the USB port. It's up to Apple to decide how much support they will give it. There's no reason why they couldn't give full USB support, if they wanted to. They just don't want to, so far.

I don't see it as either a purely technical issue, or a matter of will. I believe one of Apple's main design criterion for the iPad was for all of its included functions to work flawlessly right out of the box. A USB port adds the expectation that a connected USB device will work with it, which then opens up potential problems with third-party drivers not working well, at all, or mucking up the functions of the iPad in unpredictable ways. I can entirely understand why Apple did not want to go there, at least for the time being.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #237 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't get this. The 30-pin connector already does USB signaling so why does it have to be replaced by Micro-USB or Mini-USB (the only two that would fit) just so some people can have printing while completely hurting the entire iDevice line of accessories and Apple's ability to push the use of the connector by limiting it to just USB signaling?

No one is asking that it be replaced. The question here is that with Apple knowing that there is demand for a USB port (and an SD port), and selling a kit with both for $30, a kit, by the way, that is so popular, that it's almost always out of stock the moment it arrives in the store, why couldn't they have simply added the USB port, at least, to the iPad? This is one situation where no one can say that there isn't plenty of room.

It would have been cheap to add. If battery usage was a problem, Apple could simply say that it won't power anything other than low power devices such as card readers, which is the case with the ports they are selling us anyway.

Quote:
I don't get this either. Some of those print drivers are huge. I can't imagine anyone DLing hundreds of MBs for a print driver to use once when it's faster to send to a PC to print.

Most print drivers are small, no more than a few dozen KB. Without the specialized programs that we would be expected to use with them, large sophisticated drivers wouldn't be needed. I wouldn't expect to print to my Canon IPF5100, for example. Very few print drivers exceed 1MB. And Apple could make it so we only download those we need. Really, not such a big deal.

Quote:
Apple clearly has positioned these devices to be portable, auxiliary computing devices, so unless there is a method that doesn't require a lengthy and archaic driver DL for each new printer I don't see this happening without the use of a 3rd-party app.

The delicious nature of Apple's small mobile devices isn't how limited they are, but rather how unlimited developers have made them. With a little help from Apple, they can take on far more.

Yes, if Apple is worried they will suck sales away from their more expensive products, and have artificially limited them for that reason, I can understand it from their viewpoint, but not from our viewpoint.

We will always want to do more than can be done. That's how progress is made.

If Apple worried that the Mac would suck sales away from the IIE, then we would possibly be using the same old interface. Supposedly, what has made Apple great, is that they don't worry about Cannibalizing their older product lines with new ones. If they lose Macbook sales, but sell two iPads for every one Macbook they lose, they're ahead.
post #238 of 266
Quote:

I don't see it as either a purely technical issue, or a matter of will. I believe one of Apple's main design criterion for the iPad was for all of its included functions to work flawlessly right out of the box. A USB port adds the expectation that a connected USB device will work with it, which then opens up potential problems with third-party drivers not working well, at all, or mucking up the functions of the iPad in unpredictable ways. I can entirely understand why Apple did not want to go there, at least for the time being.

I still believe what I said. Apple could have done whatever they had to before it came out. People are buying the connection kit and trying out lots of different things to find out what works. If Apple wasn't so determined to never give us any paper with information as to what their products will do, then they will be forced into limiting it to the obvious. I like to give people SOME credit.
post #239 of 266
Quote:

I still believe what I said. Apple could have done whatever they had to before it came out. People are buying the connection kit and trying out lots of different things to find out what works. If Apple wasn't so determined to never give us any paper with information as to what their products will do, then they will be forced into limiting it to the obvious. I like to give people SOME credit.

And I still believe what I said. I'd like to give Apple some credit for knowing what they were designing.

The camera kit you cite is a perfect example of what I am saying. It does the one thing, and it does it flawlessly. Of course that doesn't stop the tinkerers from trying to find other ways it can be used, but the takeaway point is that they're on their own. No new expectations are raised.

I take this also from Steve Jobs' comment that he was as proud of what they left out as what they included. This is Apple's minimalist approach at work, just the opposite from Microsoft's kitchen sink approach. This has been Apple's overriding design philosophy for more than ten years now. So I am not shocked or disappointed when I see it in action.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #240 of 266
Quote:

And I still believe what I said. I'd like to give Apple some credit for knowing what they were designing.

The camera kit you cite is a perfect example of what I am saying. It does the one thing, and it does it flawlessly. Of course that doesn't stop the tinkerers from trying to find other ways it can be used, but the takeaway point is that they're on their own. No new expectations are raised.

I take this also from Steve Jobs' comment that he was as proud of what they left out as what they included. This is Apple's minimalist approach at work, just the opposite from Microsoft's kitchen sink approach. This has been Apple's overriding design philosophy for more than ten years now. So I am not shocked or disappointed when I see it in action.

I give them credit for what they're designing. They make the decisions. I don't agree that all their decisions are for the best though. Sometimes their vision is what's best for Apple, not us. Like not giving us Blu-Ray, even as an option.

The point is that with some things, they can make an exception, or even change their minds, when it suits them for their own purposes. Another example is not giving FM tuners on iPods. I know that very few people really care about that, but when they found a way where they could make money off adding it, they did. So their vision isn't always guided by what's best for us as consumers of their products, but what's best for Apple, the company. Now, as a stockholder, I appreciate that, but not always as a customer.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months