or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months - Page 3

post #81 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

The only question is whether this level of demand will go up, down or stay level. The early adopters have now bought in. It remains to be seen whether the general public will continue to lust after the iPad. I think there might be at least a small sales spike when iPhone OS 4.0 is released in the fall.

Company purchases and education sales largely have not started yet at all because there are not enough units available. They still are having trouble meeting the early adopter crowd demand. By the time they meet these demands, there will be enough apps that late adopters will start buying. Looks like nothing but high sales volume for awhile.
post #82 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

They cannot build them fast enough. Maybe they need to localize manufacturing and bring some of that back to the USA and Europe rather than overworking the Chinese.

My hope is that China will get some better labor laws with teeth to back them and minimum wage standards across the county. Cheap labor ain't cheap when it costs lives.

Because it is so easy to just create an assembly line instantly to increase demand. Even if they did move assembly to the states or europe, the parts are still coming from all over the world.

I see the primary problem being the number of hours that are being worked isn't healthy if they are doing it week after week. It isn't uncommon to see people working 60+ hour weeks here, but at least some of them are doing something they love. You need to remember that most of these workers are young people who are living in corporate dormitories. There are many people in that age group here that probably only have $130 a month left over after spending $2000 on their living expenses for the month. That pretty much puts us on par.
post #83 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not the iPhone OS per se. Jailbreaking shows that the functionality is often there. Apple just has to get over the idea that so many restrictions aren't helping them as much as they think they are.

If that's really true, then why is it that when multi-tasking is supported in the next OS release iPhone 3Gs don't get that feature? If the 3Gs *could* support it, why would Apple choose not to support it in the OS?

Their criteria aren't that it can't happen functionally, but that to make it happen would compromise what? It makes no sense to imply that it's because Apple is controlling, or are slow to adopt. There are criteria at play here that not everyone understands, and that is why my phone won't support multi-tasking in the next release.
post #84 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's frustrating. It would be nice if Apple could give us a 3.5 update with folders, at least. I've already got over 9 pages of apps, and that's now 20 apps per page. I REALLY want to consolidate them.

On top of that, if Apple is going to keep the "iPhone OS" updates split between these two general categories then I wish they'd go ahead and change the name from iPhone OS to iPad OS Since jt's distinctively different in the UI and frameworks from their smaller devices.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #85 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

If that's really true, then why is it that when multi-tasking is supported in the next OS release iPhone 3Gs don't get that feature? If the 3Gs *could* support it, why would Apple choose not to support it in the OS?

Their criteria aren't that it can't happen functionally, but that to make it happen would compromise what? It makes no sense to imply that it's because Apple is controlling, or are slow to adopt. There are criteria at play here that not everyone understands, and that is why my phone won't support multi-tasking in the next release.

The 3GS IS getting the feature. The 3G, with only 128MB RAM is not getting the feature.

If you want to get a logical argument set up, your original premise must be correct. In this case, it's not.
post #86 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On top of that, if Apple is going to keep the "iPhone OS" updates split between these two general categories then I wish they'd go ahead and change the name from iPhone OS to iPad OS Since jt's distinctively different in the UI and frameworks from their smaller devices.

I still like iOS, though I believe some small company already owns that name (not that that's ever stopped Apple before).

They could have iOS, iPhone/Touch Edition, and iPad Edition.
post #87 of 266
edit: Pipped by Melgross.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #88 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This sucks. I liked it better when it was just me.

Yep! The trolls liked it better too.
post #89 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPad looks pretty cool. I just wish I could figure out why I need one. I'm ok with the limitations of my iPhone because I need a phone and the extra features are really handy, but I already have an iMac, a MBP and a Mac Pro. iPad seems too limited to fit my computing needs. If I could do actual IT or web site maintenance then it might be useful on the road, but if it is just for couch surfing or reading in bed, I don't need it.

LogMeIn is available for IT/web site maintenance. It works great. There are a few html editors for making simple changes too.

There are really two reasons you want an iPad (right now) in my opinion. Either you love casual games or you spend a lot of time reading. It is great at all forms of reading: web, ebooks, email. It is well worth the price for those features. It isn't fun to spend a lot of time reading pdf files or email in front of a laptop. The comfort level is much higher.

As a bonus: If your read technical ebooks (O'Reilly, Pragmatic Programmer, Manning) you will save a lot of money because they charge half price (or less) for Ebooks and they are frequently on sale for a third or a quarter of the price. Searching and highlighting (using the bookmarks feature) is really well done in iBooks app. The Papers app works pretty good for pdf reading (although I wish I could highlight like in iBooks).
post #90 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

My hope is that China will get some better labor laws with teeth to back them and minimum wage standards across the county. Cheap labor ain't cheap when it costs lives.

There's a better solution - have congress write a law that says that the manufacturing of goods sold in America must support *at least* that which America does in terms of labour laws.
post #91 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I still like iOS, though I believe some small company already owns that name (not that that's ever stopped Apple before).

They could have iOS, iPhone/Touch Edition, and iPad Edition.

That's fine, too. Anything but the erronous nomenclature that apparently leads some to think it's the same OS on a bigger screen despite the glaring proof to the contrary, and which I am sure will be used to say how iPhone OS is fragmenting and it to is no longer getting updates at the same time, like Android phones.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #92 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I still like iOS, though I believe some small company already owns that name (not that that's ever stopped Apple before).

They could have iOS, iPhone/Touch Edition, and iPad Edition.

TouchOS.
post #93 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

edit: Pipped by Melgross.

He he!
post #94 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The 3GS IS getting the feature. The 3G, with only 128MB RAM is not getting the feature.

If you want to get a logical argument set up, your original premise must be correct. In this case, it's not.

You misunderstood my grammar. '3G' - the plural of '3G' is '3Gs'. I didn't say 3GS (with capital 'S') and didn't mean 3GS, the model. Funny grammar rules in our language make it unclear sometimes, but my grammar was correct and my logic was perfect.
post #95 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

TouchOS.

Technically the OS is named Darwin and the kernel is named xnu. You could just refer to the devices by the UIKit framework they are using, because that is the common difference between them and the desktop. UIKit devices instead of iPhone/iPod/iPad.
post #96 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's fine, too. Anything but the erronous nomenclature that apparently leads
Some to think it's the same OS with a bigger screen despite the glaring proof to the contrary And which I am sure will be used to say how iPhone OS is fragmenting and it to is no longer getting updates at the same time, like Android phones.

I think that moving to a tablet will require all companies to modify their respective OS's. As I've now got a bunch of Universal apps, I'm not too worried about it. It should be pretty obvious to most people that a tablet is going to require, and have, more features than the phone version.

I'm seeing Android being criticized for being exactly the same OS for tablets as for phones. If Google keeps it that way, and so far, developers are saying that Google isn't responding to their queries about this, then they will be at a disadvantage.

Of course, Google is pushing the not quite ready Chrome web browser OS as the one to go to for tablets. But I really doubt that a web based OS is ready to compete yet.

With WebOS, now from Hp, we see the same problem. They will have to modify it for tablets.

Microsoft is even in worse shape. No matter how they change the GUI, Win Phone 7 is still CE, and all that lacks as a full OS. They've nothing that could work for tablets, as Win 7 will not work, no matter how many companies put a touch GUI on top of the supplied one.

MeeGo is still too new to have any reasonable idea as to how viable it will be. The two companies behind it, Intel and Nokia aren't exactly hotbeds of innovation and consumer arousal.

The last, Linux, will fail at this, as it has at every other consumer initiative. It was thought that netbooks were the Linux desktop revolution, but as usual, they were wrong. They will be wrong here as well.

While it's true that many of the above OS's are Linux based at heart (jeez, it's only a kernel, not an OS!), they don't look or act any more like Linux, than OS X looks or acts like the full fledged UNIX OS it is.
post #97 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

TouchOS.

Assuming that they could get the name, that would work too.
post #98 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

You misunderstood my grammar. '3G' - the plural of '3G' is '3Gs'. I didn't say 3GS (with capital 'S') and didn't mean 3GS, the model. Funny grammar rules in our language make it unclear sometimes, but my grammar was correct and my logic was perfect.

You have to be clearer when you write. Many people forget to capitalize the final s. It reads as 3GS.

Even so, you're still wrong. As I pointed out, the 3G has only 128MB RAM, not enough for multitasking. The 3GS has 256MB, as does the iPad. Enough to squeak by.
post #99 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Technically the OS is named Darwin and the kernel is named xnu. You could just refer to the devices by the UIKit framework they are using, because that is the common difference between them and the desktop. UIKit devices instead of iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Apple's kernel is MACH.

http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/darwin-kernel
post #100 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's fine, too. Anything but the erronous nomenclature that apparently leads some to think it's the same OS on a bigger screen despite the glaring proof to the contrary, and which I am sure will be used to say how iPhone OS is fragmenting and it to is no longer getting updates at the same time, like Android phones.

This is entirely different. The iPad and iPhone are different devices. They will always be updated to new operating systems, but they have framework differences that are on different release schedules. To fragment like the android operating system, there would need to be different iPads that are not compatible with each other even if they are capable of running the same program from a hardware perspective. The problem with Android is that the operating system that comes with your phone will likely never be updated because the company making the phone has no budget to roll out updates to newer versions of android. Over time your phone will run less and less new software or the majority of software will target the lowest common denominator (the IE6 syndrome). It may be possible for google to come out with a way to prevent this situation, but currently it is a major problem with the android platform.
post #101 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

But if you had no mobile device at all... Of course, being in school, you might want the added ports for added functionality of a 13", 15", or 17" laptop, but if you were done with school and had no mobile device and already had a desktop and just wanted to go mobile with a device with a slightly bigger screen then todays smartphone, which way would you go? MacBook/MBP or iPad? Or which way anyone would go for that matter?... \

iPhone vs iPad

As to why have an iPad if you slready have an iPhone, that is easy if one does a lot of internet reading (newspapers, magazines, websites) as well as bookreading. The smaller screen of the iPhone or iPod Touch is not meant for the aforementioned activities. Almost all the aforementioned have to be reconfigured to fit the small screen. Otherwise, you have to do a lot of scroling both horizontally and vertically. These repeated motions get tiresome after awhile. Aesthetically, the layout formats possible with the small screen are also limited.

The larger screen of the iPad is specially for people with increasing visual impairment, but not blind. This is true for most people who are getting older.

There is also the sense of satisfaction in "bigger is better". That is why big screen TVs are more satisfactory, and why people still go to cinemas. Have you ever seen spectacles like Star wars or other classics "Ten Commandments", KingKong, etc.. shown in "three storey" high screens? The experience cannot be match by even the largest home screen.

Of course when you watch these in your bed or somewhere else other than the aforemetioned settings, surely watching them in the much larger screen is much more satisfactory than the puny iPhone screen.

Notebook vs iPad

Both may be portable but a 4.5-6 pounds notebook becomes a ton of lead with all the other stuff to carry around when you travel of commute and do a lot of walking around. Then there is the question: Do you really need to bring everything that is in your nootebook with you? If your have to bring your office and your work whereever you go, then the notebook might be a no-contest choice. Otherwise, to many people, including most sales and othther on-the-go professionals, the iPad would be more convenient.

Then there is also the question of security, in case a notebook misplaced or stolen-- with all your lifetime creations, passwords, and other "secrets". Sure, you might have backups, but the securiity issues remain.

Portability

Perhaps in a few years, when SSDs are cheap enough, and the CPUs are advanced enough, and some other needed technologies, it may be possible to a single unit form factor, like the iPad, but have an OS X and not the iPhone OS, and use touch screen keyboard and finger navigation.

Note that the two single unit mobile devices are not mean to replace each other, even if there is great overlap in functions. There would be cannibalization of each other's market.

What is sure is that they would be both very portable. However, there will serve different audience.

If you look at the design "clam shell" of the notebooks, the design is really only needed because of the physical keyboard separate from the screen. As we discussed in any number of threads, the physical keyboard renders the existing notebook difficult to use in other countries. Such there are ways to go around the problem but those work-arounds are not the best solutions.

The iPhone OS devices provided a more compact and more portable "single unit: form. As important, the touch screen keyboard -- with instant conversion of the alphabets and numbers and symbols pertinent to any language -- made iPhone OS devices and similar gadgets more functional to the rest of th world.

There are more of course, but you get the idea, I hope.

A key lesson here: One must not judge a device, like the iPad, mainly on the basis of what we can do, or how it may serve our own purpose. There are more than six billion other peoples of the world. So far, Apple has sold only two million of them.

The other lesson here: As spectacular or useful the iPad might be, there is room for other devices -- considering the six billion target audience. Among them are those are people who wnat the same thing but would rather die owning anything made by Apple. So yeah, Android/Chrome tablets, HP-Palms tablets, even Windows Mobile tablets will find their own markets.

CGC
post #102 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

iPhone vs iPad
The other lesson here: As spectacular or useful the iPad might be, there is room for other devices -- considering the six billion target audience. Among them are those are people who wnat the same thing but would rather die owning anything made by Apple.
CGC

Different people have different preferences, but I don't know anyone willing to die over them. I hate Windows, but I own a copy for VMWare. Don't worry, I'm not going to kill myself now.

I think that some of these companies will realize the hard way that people don't like a product that is thrown on the market and then not supported. I think some of them have realized it and that is why we have seen all these products retracted before going on sale.

Kinda like video game systems, I see room in the market for no more then three companies.
post #103 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

You misunderstood my grammar. '3G' - the plural of '3G' is '3Gs'. I didn't say 3GS (with capital 'S') and didn't mean 3GS, the model. Funny grammar rules in our language make it unclear sometimes, but my grammar was correct and my logic was perfect.

Unless we get a specialized character to indicate pluralization or a new rule that dissalows any word from ending with 's' would then make that a specialized character to indicate pluralization, then we'll have to do our best to prevent ambiguous statements. Since the point of true communication is to get one's point across then it's up to the writer first, the reader second.

I've seen the use of an apostrophe 's' when there is clearly no possesion to indicate more than one. You can also do as you did above and use quotes to separate the subject. However, in this case the 'iPhone 3G' could have been used as a single unit without confusing the reader and still referring to the millions of 'iPhone 3G's that have been sold. My reply to that post, which I later edited, actually addressed your comment from both aspects, but since it otherwise identity in content to Melgross' reply I removed it.

There really isn't enough RAM to feasibly offer multitasking in the first two iPhones. There have been plenty of arguments from the day the iPhone was announced in January as to why it could have it but they are all erroneous.

Have phones that were much slower and with much less RAM had multitasking for years? Absolutely, but they were all using mobile OSes designed for much slower HW and with less features. The iPhone uses a streamlined version of Mac OS X but that doesn't mean it's not a hefty mobile OS. Windows Mobile has nothing in common with Windows desktop except for the name and some UI elements which they copied.

Can you jailbreak your iPhone to add multitasking? Absolutely, but it's poor experience that is completely opposite from Apple has ever offered. I and many others have tested the RAM uses since we could jailbreak our iPhones and there is simply not enough for those devices to work well within reason of the entire device. The user experience (UX) would have been hurt if they did that.

There are many arguments for what is technically possible and what is reasonably possible. Another is the maximum video playback allowed on the iPhone. The Imagantion chips for the GPU and decoding can technically do HD, even 1080p, but it would hurt the UX if they allowed you to load 1080p video that would stutter while draining your battery quickly as a result. Flash 10.1 on the Nexus One, which is superior to the 3GS in every way, is still having that problem with video much lower than "HD quality".


Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

This is entirely different...

Suffice it to say, I guarantee that the scenario I mentioned above will be stated by trolls and pundits across the Net. If they call Apple releasing a new product each year "fragmentation" then it only makes sense that they'd jump on Apple offering v4.0 to the the iPhone and Touch and not the iPad.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #104 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not the iPhone OS per se. Jailbreaking shows that the functionality is often there. Apple just has to get over the idea that so many restrictions aren't helping them as much as they think they are.

Apparently there are millions of happy customers that don't agree with you. Perhaps it is you, and others of the same mindset, that "just have to get over the idea" that Apple is trying to "please everyone all of the time". They aren't, nor should they be. Apple has, by it's track record, shown itself to be excellent at choosing the proper marketplace to be in. I'm happy to concede that they are better at that then I am. The question is: why aren't you?
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #105 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Assuming that they could get the name, that would work too.

Apple's had a history of not giving a damn of who owns a name. (See iPhone and iPad).

I think TouchOS would be better because it sounds better than iOS and it's something that customers could relate more to when taking into account the interaction between the user and the device. Also, another "i" name seems to be getting a little stagnant. There can be a point to abusing it.
post #106 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You have to be clearer when you write. Many people forget to capitalize the final s. It reads as 3GS.

Even so, you're still wrong. As I pointed out, the 3G has only 128MB RAM, not enough for multitasking. The 3GS has 256MB, as does the iPad. Enough to squeak by.

Oh, you're making me laugh, and in a good way, please don't take it the wrong way, but the fact is that I'm not responsible for others' grammar misunderstandings. I was perfectly clear, I understand grammar rules sometimes aren't, but I followed them and it's not my fault it wasn't clear. Perhaps we should propose to the Queen that we clean up this mess of a language which we speak!

As for being wrong, I fail to understand why you think I'm wrong. The 3G in a jail break situation can multi-task (correct me if I'm wrong here) - the point I was making is that Apple chooses not to allow the 3G to have multi-tasking, which means it's something other than ability to multi-task as their reason for not supporting it.

People think the only reasons not to allow multi-tasking are (and the poster to whom I was responding implied), because Apple is 1) controlling, 2) slow at technology adoption or 3) some other criticism of Apple (take your pick).

Apple has said 128MB RAM is not enough, but the reason I can assume is that the experience of using it with that limited amount of memory will not make it a good experience. I support their decision, and I can't wait for the new iPhone so I can dump my current 3G and get the new one (with multi-tasking). I don't think all Apple's decisions are perfect, but in ones like this, I trust them.

Hopefully, I've clarified my point because I believe we're both agreeing here.
post #107 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apparently there are millions of happy customers that don't agree with you. Perhaps it is you, and others of the same mindset, that "just have to get over the idea" that Apple is trying to "please everyone all of the time". They aren't, nor should they be. Apple has, by it's track record, shown itself to be excellent at choosing the proper marketplace to be in. I'm happy to concede that they are better at that then I am. The question is: why aren't you?

Oh, I am definitely better at this than you are. No doubt.

You don't know anything about my thoughts, as I'm the one here who usually says that Apple shouldn't be aiming for that last few percent.

But, here, it's not the last few percent. It will be a much bigger percent.

Apple has announced, or at least Jobs has said in an e-mail, that we will get printing support. Great. No printing retards all computers, iPads included. But how much easier would it be with a built-in USB port? Much easier. That's something that MOST iPad owners would appreciate. I use a program called PrintBureau to print. But it requires server software on my Mac, and I have to print through the computer on the network. It's a great solution for when you can use it. But if I'm somewhere else, I can't.

I don't defend Apple no matter what. They make mistakes.
post #108 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

LogMeIn is available for IT/web site maintenance. It works great. There are a few html editors for making simple changes too.

Thanks for the advice. I checked out LogMeIn but it is not quite what I want. What I need is ftp, ssh, text editor and the ability to create/edit/save files with .php, .html, .pl, and .xml file extensions.

I think the main problem in trying to use iPhone OS to do this kind of work is the inability to save files. I suppose if I just had ssh I could get by, but I would rather be able to edit the files locally so I don't time out of my session.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #109 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Apple's had a history of not giving a damn of who owns a name. (See iPhone and iPad).

I think TouchOS would be better because it sounds better than iOS and it's something that customers could relate more to when taking into account the interaction between the user and the device. Also, another "i" name seems to be getting a little stagnant. There can be a point to abusing it.

I think iOS sounds better, but each to his own.
post #110 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't think anything is contradictory. The more than can be done, the more valuable it will be. Apple wants to clear a path to how they want something done. That doesn't always mean that it's the way WE want to do it.

There are lots of companies that think the same way as you. Maybe these companies are more suitable for you. Fortunately, Apple is teaching a whole bunch of us that "less is more".
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #111 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Oh, you're making me laugh, and in a good way, please don't take it the wrong way, but the fact is that I'm not responsible for others' grammar misunderstandings. I was perfectly clear, I understand grammar rules sometimes aren't, but I followed them and it's not my fault it wasn't clear. Perhaps we should propose to the Queen that we clean up this mess of a language which we speak!

Apparently, I'm not the only one who didn't understand you. I wouldn't be surprised if there were others who just didn't want to respond.

Quote:
As for being wrong, I fail to understand why you think I'm wrong. The 3G in a jail break situation can multi-task (correct me if I'm wrong here) - the point I was making is that Apple chooses not to allow the 3G to have multi-tasking, which means it's something other than ability to multi-task as their reason for not supporting it.

People think the only reasons not to allow multi-tasking are (and the poster to whom I was responding implied), because Apple is 1) controlling, 2) slow at technology adoption or 3) some other criticism of Apple (take your pick).

Apple has said 128MB RAM is not enough, but the reason I can assume is that the experience of using it with that limited amount of memory will not make it a good experience. I support their decision, and I can't wait for the new iPhone so I can dump my current 3G and get the new one (with multi-tasking). I don't think all Apple's decisions are perfect, but in ones like this, I trust them.

Hopefully, I've clarified my point because I believe we're both agreeing here.

As sol also pointed out, 128MB RAM is not enough. Just because it works poorly when jailbroken doesn't mean that that qualifies as actually WORKING. If your car ran at a max of 40 miler per hour, and constantly jerked down the road, you would get rid of it. It wouldn't be "working". That's what a jailbroken 3G does when multitasking.

I don't believe that I said that Apple wasn't extending it to old models because they were controlling. But, there are things Apple IS dong that is a matter of them wanting to control our way of doing things, and what apps we can buy.

I can understand them needing to adhere to any contracts they have signed with the carriers, such as AT&T. But not allowing satirical apps because they make fun of some public figure is going too far, in my opinion. As long as its not illegal, they should allow it. And in that vein, why are they now allowing online gambling apps? That's nuts!

I also have a 3G, and intend, when our contract is up in early September, to get rid of the three we have, and get three new ones. I imagine the 3GS will be there for $99 for the 16B version at that time, so people can upgrade to it if spending more is too much.
post #112 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple has announced, or at least Jobs has said in an e-mail, that we will get printing support. Great. No printing retards all computers, iPads included. But how much easier would it be with a built-in USB port? Much easier.

I disagree with both of those. I have never heard anyone complain that they were near a printer and couldn't print directly from their iDevice. I only print once a year for taxes, but i won't be doing them on my iPhone.

I also can't see Apple replacing the 30-pin connector with a USB port. It's nice to have the same port work for so many cables and devices for many years. At a friends, I can even plug my iPhone into the iPad Dock to charge. Which port do they use, because I don't think USB-A or USB-B would fit? It would have to be Mini-USB or Micro-USB, both of which I personally despise.

Then there is an issue with the extra pins Apple adds to the 30-pin connector to allow longterm expansion of the port. I don't think the FireWire pins are even in use. They offer direct video out which I don't think USB can do without first having an adapter that converts the signaling. Eventually Apple can add support for 'HD' quality output. Since these will only be adapters, not convertors it will be likely much cheaper than other any signal conversion from USB to HDMI, for example, and be a cheap and reliable product found on Monoprice.


PS: I recently moved from having a largest physical PO Box that they offer to having the smallest as in the last 5 years my snail mail has dropped off considerably. Oh how times have changed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #113 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm amazed at how much more useful many of those universal apps are on my iPad as opposed to how they are on my iPhone, though when I got them for the phone, they seemed very good.

As someone who hasn't had the chance to try an iPad, can I just ask you how these universal apps work. Do they look and work the same as the iPhone version, just in higher resolution, or do they have special features that "come alive" when installed on an iPad?
post #114 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But not allowing satirical apps because they make fun of some public figure is going too far, in my opinion.

That was pretty poor judgment. Haven't they since lifted that ban?

Quote:
I also have a 3G, and intend, when our contract is up in early September, to get rid of the three we have, and get three new ones. I imagine the 3GS will be there for $99 for the 16B version at that time, so people can upgrade to it if spending more is too much.

I couldn't believe how much faster the 3GS felt over the 3G so if you are going for the G4 iPhone I suspect you are in for a real treat.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #115 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

There are lots of companies that think the same way as you. Maybe these companies are more suitable for you. Fortunately, Apple is teaching a whole bunch of us that "less is more".

Do you know what you're talking about? I don't think so. I enjoy my iPad very much, but I would enjoy it more with a few additions, WHICH APPLE SELLS IN THEIR STORE.

Get it? They provide it, but we have to buy it. absurd.

By the way, we have four Macs at home, five including my daughter's MacBook Pro which is usually in England, and four iPhones, one usually in England, and so far, one iPad, soon to be two.

That's just current equipment. I've personally owned at least ten over the years, and my wife and daughter another 6 or so. I've bought almost 300 for my own company over the years, going back to 1988, until my partner and I sold the company five years ago, and I'm responsible for the New York City school system's increase in spending for Macs over the years, and so can rightly claim to be responsible for several hundred thousand more Macs purchased than would otherwise be the case.

I've also got a fair amount of stock in the company.

So when you say I would be happier elsewhere, you're nuts, as Jobs would say.
post #116 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That was pretty poor judgment. Haven't they since lifted that ban?

As far as I know, no.

Quote:
I couldn't believe how much faster the 3GS felt over the 3G so if you are going for the G4 iPhone I suspect you are in for a real treat.

If Apple runs the cpu at the same speed as they do for the iPad, and don't slow it down, no doubt.
post #117 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unless we get a specialized character to indicate pluralization or a new rule that dissalows any word from ending with 's' would then make that a specialized character to indicate pluralization, then we'll have to do our best to prevent ambiguous statements. Since the point of true communication is to get one's point across then it's up to the writer first, the reader second.

Yes, but when the writer uses perfect grammar, it is the responsibility of the reader to understand what is written. The writer should never be concerned that someone might misunderstand perfect grammar, that's silly, otherwise there's no point communicating if you have to worry that someone may misunderstand what you've perfectly said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've seen the use of an apostrophe 's' when there is clearly no possesion to indicate more than one. You can also do as you did above and use quotes to separate the subject. However, in this case the 'iPhone 3G' could have been used as a single unit without confusing the reader and still referring to the millions of 'iPhone 3G's that have been sold.

An apostrophe is absolutely used by many people, and every time they do, they are wrong. As you say an apostrophe indicates possession, the fact so many use it doesn't make it right, it just makes it wrong in many, many instances. Single quotes don't make it right either if you put the plural indication outside the quote, as that is separating the word from its plural. I used it correctly, and this conversation about grammar is detracting us from what is much more interesting, and that is multi-tasking and the new iPhone OS. Let's get back to that discussion, it's much more interesting.
post #118 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As far as I know, no.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...r-winners-app/

Quote:
If Apple runs the cpu at the same speed as they do for the iPad, and don't slow it down, no doubt.

Going from about 412MHz ARM11 to a 600MHz Cortex-A8 with double the RAM and likely faster NAND was a huge bump in itself. So much so that I hope that the new package-on-package and system-on-chip design for the A4 is not running at 1GHz, like the iPad.

Even if the battery times have doubled while using a 1GHz A4 I still don't think it's enough to warrant going that much faster over the 3GS. This is why I suspect it's clocked in the 800's. We know they upped the battery by 16.4% and the based on my calculations (which unfortunately comprises of a lot of guesswork) I think that we'll see an average 15% extra battery time across the board, even with the 4x more pixel and non-TN display rumoured to be coming.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #119 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh, I am definitely better at this than you are. No doubt.

To quote Mac Davis ; Oh Lord, its hard to be humble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But, here, it's not the last few percent. It will be a much bigger percent.

And you know this ... how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


No printing retards all computers, iPads included.

This would be your opinion, right? ... not necessarily a fact.

It seems to me that a lot informed people are in the habit of refering to the iPad as a "media device". Even Apple says: " iPad isnt just the best device of its kind. Its a whole new kind of device."

When I first heard of the iPad I thought ..what the hell is that all about? ... but then I started to think about what I do most on my 24" iMac ... seems like a lot of people (myself included) are discovering, judging by their adoption of the iPad, that the majority of the time is spent on the consumption of media, rather than the creation of same. In this case, no printer is needed, and since the iPad is usually partnered with a computer of some kind that would seem to be where the printing is taken care of.

The bottom line is, I think, if you're trying to do all the "traditional" computer things on an iPad ... you've misunderstod what its all about, as I did in the beginning.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #120 of 266
Perhaps it's an experiment. Apple may have future plans for wireless syncing and wants to push usage and development in that direction. If this doesn't work out the way they plan, they can always add USB to the next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Frankly, I think it's remiss of them to not have done so. Maybe they think that would depreciate the 30 pin connector and allow docks they don't want to have, but I think it's an unnecessary restriction.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months