or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Official World Cup 2010 Thread

post #1 of 212
So...anyone going to be watching? Is there much interest in the US?

Here in Spain it is fever pitch already! I am supporting the US against England in the first match but my allegiance is to Germany for the tournament though I can't see them doing much.

Can't wait!
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

So...anyone going to be watching? Is there much interest in the US?

Here in Spain it is fever pitch already! I am supporting the US against England in the first match but my allegiance is to Germany for the tournament though I can't see them doing much.

Can't wait!

My family and I make it a priority to watch as much of World Cup as we can; pulling for our USA Men's National Team of course! On that score, yesterday, Grant Wahl of SI handicapped the teams and he foolishly placed our heroes 14th, behind Denmark for God's sake! He does try to be provocative that is for sure! Recall that it was USA who beat Spain (who Wahl handicaps in 1st) at the Confederations Cup! Anyway... we'll see how USMNT performs! I am extremely worried about the venue and the danger therein to the athletes.... I've read several stories that paint a dangerous picture... I hope everyone has a safe Cup experience!
post #3 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

My family and I make it a priority to watch as much of World Cup as we can; pulling for our USA Men's National Team of course! On that score, yesterday, Grant Wahl of SI handicapped the teams and he foolishly placed our heroes 14th, behind Denmark for God's sake! He does try to be provocative that is for sure! Recall that it was USA who beat Spain (who Wahl handicaps in 1st) at the Confederations Cup! Anyway... we'll see how USMNT performs! I am extremely worried about the venue and the danger therein to the athletes.... I've read several stories that paint a dangerous picture... I hope everyone has a safe Cup experience!

I think the US have a good chance to beat England...first game, England are slow starters. Maybe US defence is a bit dodgy but I can definitely see an upset...they are very under-rated imo, 14th in world too....that's pretty good going.

I heard some worrying stories about crime etc in SA but think it should be ok.
post #4 of 212
I had tickets to a number of group stage games, but I had to cancel on account of the difficulty of working out travel plans to South Africa. Instead, I will watch on television at home, and potentially during some business travel in Europe.

Of the contenders, I want Spain to win, just because I think they deserve it this year. I would consider it a major victory if USA can make it to the quarterfinals. They will most likely have to beat Germany in the round of 16, and even though Germany is not a particularly strong team this year, they are still a little stronger than USA is.

I would love to see USA beating England, but I don't think it is going to happen. There is a certain father-son complex between the USA and England in most respects, and basically all they have left at this point is football.

I think 14th is about right for the USA. Here are my ratings for USA (1-10)
Goalkeeping: 9
Defense: 6
Midfield: 7
Forwards: 4

We have nothing up top. Donovan and Dempsey can provide some goals on the counter attack, but the complete lack of a quality out-and-out striker is generally a big problem. We don't even have anyone who can hold-up the ball reliably. Our defense is not great, but Tim Howard is so good that he makes up for a lot of it.
Cat: the other white meat
post #5 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I had tickets to a number of group stage games, but I had to cancel on account of the difficulty of working out travel plans to South Africa. Instead, I will watch on television at home, and potentially during some business travel in Europe.

Of the contenders, I want Spain to win, just because I think they deserve it this year. I would consider it a major victory if USA can make it to the quarterfinals. They will most likely have to beat Germany in the round of 16, and even though Germany is not a particularly strong team this year, they are still a little stronger than USA is.

I would love to see USA beating England, but I don't think it is going to happen. There is a certain father-son complex between the USA and England in most respects, and basically all they have left at this point is football.

I think 14th is about right for the USA. Here are my ratings for USA (1-10)
Goalkeeping: 9
Defense: 6
Midfield: 7
Forwards: 4

We have nothing up top. Donovan and Dempsey can provide some goals on the counter attack, but the complete lack of a quality out-and-out striker is generally a big problem. We don't even have anyone who can hold-up the ball reliably. Our defense is not great, but Tim Howard is so good that he makes up for a lot of it.

Shame you didn't make SA - I hear it is a beautiful country and would be an amazing trip. Is there much coverage of the tournament in the US?

I'd rate the England/US match as 50-50...you're right about strikers but I think that England are capable of losing to anyone if they have a bad day. I wouldn't bet on it but wouldn't be shocked if the US win....really hope they do.

Germany might surprise...they have had so many injuries they are forced to play the spine of the youth team - something Loew would not have done - and these youngsters won the European under-21 championship. Also the pressure is off them and no-one expects anything which could free them up.

Argentina have to be up there....Maradona is clearly barking mad but how wrong can he get it with Messi and Tevez and Melito?

I think you're spot-on with Spain though...got to be favourites?
post #6 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I concur, partly, and am puzzled why Coach Bradley left one of our best strikers, Ching, in Houston... seems like a bonehead move... hell based on last evening's US Open Cup game maybe Coach Bradley should have drafted DCU's 17-year old Andy Najar for the USMNT!!! But Bradley does have faith in Buddle, Gomez, Altidore, and Findley so we'll see how that plays out... my sense is that Dempsey is the weapon here in Bradley's offensive attack. Dempsey's done well at Fulham and if he can bring a world class attack to the US Men's National Team we'll do okay! Donovan and Bradley feeding shots up the wings and down the middle to Buddle and Altidore should drive England crazy so that first game will be a wild card!
post #7 of 212
Congrats to Samoa
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #8 of 212
Quote:

Argentina have to be up there....Maradona is clearly barking mad but how wrong can he get it with Messi and Tevez and Melito?

I think you're spot-on with Spain though...got to be favourites?

Don't forget Higuain in the list of amazing Argie strikers -- But nonetheless they struggled in the qualification round.

Spain is definitely the favorite. In the World Cup, anything can happen, but I do think they will win as long as they stay focused. Due to the structure of the draw I'm not sure it is possible, but I would love to see Spain and Brazil in the final.
post #9 of 212
Convincing warm-up victory for the USA over Australia: 3-1. I still think the USA will have to work extra-hard for goals against the stronger teams, but I'm happy to say that I think we at least have strikers capable of putting in goal against weaker, or similarly strong, opposition. It will be very important to get goals against Algeria and Slovenia, and now I am less worried about having to settle for an ugly 0-0 against these teams, who might just be content to "park the bus."
post #10 of 212
I think RSA should have won that match.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #11 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I think RSA should have won that match.

I really wanted them too...hopefully they can go through the group stage - the tournament really needs it.
post #12 of 212
Quote:

I really wanted them too...hopefully they can go through the group stage - the tournament really needs it.

I saw the first 20 minutes and the last 30 and I thought RSA looked pretty good up until the end when they just seemed to give it over to MEX (who played muuuuuch slower than I expected).

Right now, URU needs to step it the hell up. FRA is killing them.
post #13 of 212
Quote:

I saw the first 20 minutes and the last 30 and I thought RSA looked pretty good up until the end when they just seemed to give it over to MEX (who played muuuuuch slower than I expected).

Ribery's looking good....
post #14 of 212
Quote:

Ribery's looking good....

He is. Also, is it possible that Raymond Domenech and Sam Waterston are the same person?
post #15 of 212
Quote:

The game ended in a tie, nil... Les Bleus‎ played poorly...
post #16 of 212
I'm rooting for Brazil to win it all. I hope the USA does, but I'm being realistic.

I lived in Brazil when they won the 2002 World Cup and it was incredible.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #17 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

The game ended in a tie, nil... Les Bleus‎ played poorly...

They did, as did half Uruguay's offense. The Uruguay defense, however, was brilliant.
post #18 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm rooting for Brazil to win it all. I hope the USA does, but I'm being realistic.

I lived in Brazil when they won the 2002 World Cup and it was incredible.

Ivory Coast v Spain in the final.
post #19 of 212
I'm a Brazil guy. Trying hard to figure out whether to cheer for the Americans today or the British.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #20 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I'm a Brazil guy. Trying hard to figure out whether to cheer for the Americans today or the British.

it's the English Frank..... Britain is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

None of the other three qualified so we are all ABEs tonight
post #21 of 212
Quote:

it's the English Frank..... Britain is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

None of the other three qualified so we are all ABEs tonight

This ABE nonsense typifies the reasons I'm glad I don't live in Britain anymore. Hypocritical, spiteful, bitter, provincial British bollocks.
post #22 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

This ABE nonsense typifies the reasons I'm glad I don't live in Britain anymore. Hypocritical, spiteful, bitter, provincial British bollocks.

hehe...depends whether you are English I suppose!

I am glad I don't live there anymore too though - nothing would make me go back ever. I suspect we have different reasons though

But I do think the English need to get over themselves and lighten up, the media I mean - unbelievable arrogance and when people find ways of dealing with it like this ABE joke then they can't handle it!

It's just banter...I think you take it too seriously if you think there's hate involved...well...maybe with the Scots!!
post #23 of 212
This game today between the US and ENG is really going to test my status as an anglophile. Nevertheless, it is easy for me to root against Rooney.
post #24 of 212
Quote:

This game today between the US and ENG is really going to test my status as an anglophile. Nevertheless, it is easy for me to root against Rooney.

If the US win would that be massive in the States? Or is it not so big?
post #25 of 212
Quote:

If the US win would that be massive in the States? Or is it not so big?

For soccer fans like me it would be a huge win and a real indication that the US team is ready to move from the second tier to the first (i.e. from a relatively quick elimination to a potential quarter-final team).

For everyone else, it would be about as big as a women's softball world series win.

No. I take that back. It would be a little smaller. More along the lines of a women's indoor volleyball championship.

*sigh*

It's a real shame. Soccer is far and away the most popular sport for kids in America to play, but they stop at a certain point (around age 12) and never come back and never watch it on the TV and never go to an MLS game (if they have a team). I find it really frustrating, since most American sports bore me to tears (with the exception of basketball, which I like). I wondered out loud last night whether Americans just don't like games where there are no time outs.

But back to the issue at hand: HOW THE HELL DOES MESSI KEEP THE BALL THAT CLOSE TO HIS FEET?!?!
post #26 of 212
WOW.

Argentina are so talented it doesn't matter that they're coached by an insane person!

That was GREAT.
post #27 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

WOW.

Argentina are so talented it doesn't matter that they're coached by an insane person!

That was GREAT.

That game would have been 3-nil if not for the Nigerian keeper. That guy is amazing.
post #28 of 212
Quote:

That game would have been 3-nil if not for the Nigerian keeper. That guy is amazing.

As if in contrast,does anyone want to buy some English goalkeeping gloves,used once?

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

post #29 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

As if in contrast,does anyone want to buy some English goalkeeping gloves,used once?

That was a remarkable fuckup, wasn't it?
post #30 of 212
Quote:

I think it was a fair result over the 90 mins given the run of play. US did themselves proud I think and the rest of the group will be interesting now.
post #31 of 212
Quote:

I think it was a fair result over the 90 mins given the run of play. US did themselves proud I think and the rest of the group will be interesting now.

I thought the US looked awful for the first 30 minutes. England looked good to me, although there were a few chances that weren't put as well as the should have been. I figure team USUK will advance with no trouble.
post #32 of 212
Quote:

I thought the US looked awful for the first 30 minutes. England looked good to me, although there were a few chances that weren't put as well as the should have been. I figure team USUK will advance with no trouble.

Dunno...Algeria are no-hopes but maybe reserve judgement till after today's match.

I like the photo byline in a UK paper today:

"Oh well, at least that's one disastrous spill the Yanks won't complain about"

post #33 of 212
Quote:

It happens... Bad time to make a mistake like that though...
post #34 of 212
Does anyone else think we need to ban these Vuvuzelas? They are starting to get right on my tits.

There full-on during every single match and you can't hear any of the crowd - it really kills the atmosphere. They could become a major pain in the butt as the weeks go by.

It's cool that they are a South African thing and all but they are really ruining the atmosphere a bit...it's gone a bit over the top.

And another thing - more importantly - where is this year's World Cup Babes ????? Grrr.......
post #35 of 212
Ban them now. The bee buzz needs to go.

I have to say, having watched exactly one half of one match so far, the announcers and play by play folks are the most critical guys I have ever heard at least on ABC in the U.S.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #36 of 212
Germany were awesome tonight...
post #37 of 212
It looked like they were just toying with Australia. It was quite the blow out.

post #38 of 212
Quote:

Holy shit, they looked amazing.
post #39 of 212
It was certainly an amazing display of German efficiency and a clinic in precision passing.

Ghana looked impressive as well.
It's a shame it was won by a penalty, but it was definitely a handball inside the area.

Still waiting to see what Brazil plays like. But Germany has certainly staked their claim to the Cup.
post #40 of 212
Quote:

Does anyone else think we need to ban these Vuvuzelas?

FIFA knew they would be a problem but did nothing... pre-World Cup practices and friendly matches in Africa revealed the horns would be an issue but FIFA refused to do what it should have done... Address complaints to FIFA and mute audio when you watch games...

Quote:

Agreed... Ghana too... We'll see what Italy is like today...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread