or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Official World Cup 2010 Thread - Page 5

post #161 of 212
Seriously glad it didn't come down to that bad call.
post #162 of 212
Now I'm supporting Mexico in the next game but I think Argentina will slaughter them.

If Argentina win (and they will) I see them through to winning against Brazil in the final, and I will support them through to that goal.
post #163 of 212
Am I reading the brackets correctlyis it likely that the 3 July match will be Germany v Argentina??
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #164 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

Sepp Twatter says there's no need for goal-line technology, or honest players. Mind you, in the first half hour England went from pants to shite in a particularly impressive way.

Blatter needs to go.....it's just money, money, money....but strangely no money to pay for this technology. Works fine in rugby - enhances the game imo.

Shocking decision - NO REFEREE is above suspicion in this tournament, this one had a shocker but is by no means the worst (Spanish clown from last Germany game) - WHY did they not have a European ref for this game?

Having said that, England players just did not perform. I don't think anyone should blame Capello either...though for sure he will be made the scapegoat and given the boot.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #165 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Jesus.

Oh sure, NOW you get religion.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #166 of 212
Mexico played better than I thought they would.

Can't wait for Germany v Argentina!
post #167 of 212
Missed the Mexico game, but have be reading about it. Were the Mexicans really that disrupted by the call that gave Argentina 1-0? They seem to have tried hard in the 2nd.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #168 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Missed the Mexico game, but have be reading about it. Were the Mexicans really that disrupted by the call that gave Argentina 1-0? They seem to have tried hard in the 2nd.

There was some furious argument with the ref about the goal, then the half ended, then apparently the Mexicans said something as they walked past the Argentinian bench, then some sort of fight broke out.
post #169 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Shocking decision - NO REFEREE is above suspicion in this tournament, this one had a shocker but is by no means the worst (Spanish clown from last Germany game) - WHY did they not have a European ref for this game?

Good question... want another? Why no America refs? FIFA needs to make dramatic change in World Cup officiating... this event is a total disaster in terms of on-field calls by Refs...

~

In terms of weekend's matches I expected Mexico to fall hard but England's demise was unexpected... where was the Big Roo we all expected to hear from?

Final looks to be Argentina against Germany... can't wait...
post #170 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Good question... want another? Why no America refs? FIFA needs to make dramatic change in World Cup officiating... this event is a total disaster in terms of on-field calls by Refs...

Apparently the refs are chosen by a panel comprising of a Brazilian and a Spanish.

Quote:
Final looks to be Argentina against Germany... can't wait...

I think that's the quarter-final on Saturday....
post #171 of 212
Actually I will say something: ITV coverage SUCKS... really....
post #172 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by reemaada View Post

Actually I will say something: ITV coverage SUCKS... really....

^^^^^^^^ This is a lame-ass spammer - can someone in authority exterminate with extreme prejudice....
post #173 of 212
FIFA apologizes to England and Mexico... says may reopen replay cam discussion...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_628861.html

post #174 of 212
Japan - Paraguay coming up tonight. Now that Korea is out (and NK was already out), Japan is the sole representative of Asia.

Go Japan!

post #175 of 212
Quote:

Japan - Paraguay coming up tonight. Now that Korea is out (and NK was already out), Japan is the sole representative of Asia.

Go Japan!

What? You mean Hong Kong didn't make it?

Actually, I know two players on the Hong Kong national team quite well, as personal friends. Too bad Akosah will be 32 in 2014, which is a little bit old to play, and Cris Cordeiro will be retiring soon for sure.

It's a pipe dream, but one can only dream, right?
post #176 of 212
Quote:

FIFA apologizes to England and Mexico...

And the others?

Quote:

says may reopen replay cam discussion...

Just as soon as FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter submits his resignation... the cavalier way he has dismissed real issues (repetitive and bad referee calls and whole vuvuzela horn distraction) demands his departure...
post #177 of 212
Quote:

FIFA apologizes to England and Mexico... says may reopen replay cam discussion...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_628861.html

He rejected the replay cam. He will consider the goal line technology.

FIFA = teh suck
post #178 of 212
Japan lost in PK 5-3. Oh, well. They did well to get to this stage for the first time off of home turf. I hate PK's, but after no score after 120 minutes of exhausting (both physically and mentallY) play, how else to determine a winner?

Two big same-team crashes in this match that must have hurt.

Around the Net there are comments about the reffing in this match:
Two yellow cards for Japan for handing the ball; Paraguay also handed but received no cards.
A Paraguay player punched a Japanese player, certainly at least a yellow, maybe red; nothing.

We'll see if FIFA makes any changes. I hope they do because the TV cams are catching everything in HD, but the calls aren't being made right. Soccer is a very popular game worldwide and it would be nice to clean it up a little. The bad calls for which they apologized were pretty pathetic and could have easily been cleared if the right system were in place.

post #179 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

He rejected the replay cam. He will consider the goal line technology.

FIFA is on course to make something like 3 billion in profit this year right?

All they need to do is take a couple hundred million and start up a Canadian league to test the use of new technology.

Mainstream Canadians are soccer newbies, and won't care about the differences.
The rest of us are so soccer-starved we'll take a truly national league any way we can get it.

If the goal-line and instant replay tech works well, then roll it out to the other national leagues.
post #180 of 212
^ Yea or maybe just hire some more officials to judge from the goal line.
post #181 of 212
Look, don't interrupt my dreams with reality.
post #182 of 212
That was the best game so far. I was routing for Brazil to win, but it was still a great match. Can't blame the refs this time, though that first Dutch yellow could easily have been a red.

What a beautiful corner kick to win.
post #183 of 212
Good game. Brazil got a little agitated for a while, but tried hard till the end. I also expected it to be cleaner play; alas, it wasn't.

post #184 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

That was the best game so far. I was routing for Brazil to win, but it was still a great match. Can't blame the refs this time, though that first Dutch yellow could easily have been a red..

Brazil could have easily won that game; in turn, the Dutch got luck in huge buckets... Congrats to them as they advance... To Brazil: play harder next time!!!
post #185 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

"This is shaping up to be a pretty crazy world cup," he said, before Germany steamrolled over every team in the competition.

*cough*
post #186 of 212
Alas, my beloved Brazil has been defeated.

Go Germany.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #187 of 212
Thoroughly enjoyed the Spain/Paraguay match!
post #188 of 212
Uruguay - Ghana... pathetic ugh.

Spain - Paraguay... nice match.

post #189 of 212
Upset after upset this Cup. The first half of Spain/Paraguay was torture. BORING! I literally had tears in my eyes trying to stay awake, left at the half and passed out immediately.

Can't believe the Argentina result. That was an amazing game. Germany played brilliantly. I may have to eat my words as we might see Germany go all the way.
post #190 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I may have to eat my words as we might see Germany go all the way.

That's certainly how it looks. The problem is, every time we say a team looks like it will go all the way, they get defeated in the next game.

That's been the story of World Cup 2010.
post #191 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's certainly how it looks. The problem is, every time we say a team looks like it will go all the way, they get defeated in the next game.

That's been the story of World Cup 2010.

Germany has certainly made the fatherland proud...
post #192 of 212
The Netherlands - Uruguay coming up in a few hours...

post #193 of 212
Psychic octopus picks Spain

post #194 of 212
Hope the Netherlands can show Uruguay that you can win a game handily without using your hands.

post #195 of 212
The Dutch win it.

Was the 2nd goal off-sides?

So, it's the Netherlands and..

post #196 of 212
...Germany.

Bravo to Uruguay though. They played to the end. (Actually, past the end.)
post #197 of 212
Quote:

So, it's the Netherlands and..

Germany...by about 2+ goals...
post #198 of 212
Spain out-played Germany the entire match and won it. Germany looked clunky most of the first half and Spain missed a few great chances. Could have easily been 2 or 3 to 0.

The Octopus was right. Again.

post #199 of 212
Quote:

The Octopus was right. Again.

Two words: tartar sauce!

I expected better from Germany! What happened???
post #200 of 212
I'm only now watching the match on espn.com. Holy shit, Germany look tired and Spain's game inside 30 yards is just stunning
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread