or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Official World Cup 2010 Thread - Page 6

post #201 of 212
Germany beats Uruguay 3-2.

Japanese TV didn't carry the game so I had to follow blogs on my iPad... that was an experience.

Uruguay missed their free kick right at the end... fitting turn of events after their handiness against Ghana.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #202 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Germany beats Uruguay 3-2.

Japanese TV didn't carry the game so I had to follow blogs on my iPad... that was an experience.

Uruguay missed their free kick right at the end... fitting turn of events after their handiness against Ghana.

Man, Diego Forlan is deadly within about 40 yards. He only barely missed that shot.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #203 of 212
The third-place match only proves how much Germany suffered without Müller. Fortunately for Germany fans, he's young enough to be a force to reckon with in 2014. But Brazil's going to be hot.
post #204 of 212
What? No comments on the final?

I thought it was a great match and Spain deserved the win. I also thought that Iniesta played superb throughout the match and deserved the glory of the winning goal. The keepers were both insanely brilliant.

España Olé!!!
post #205 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What final? All I saw was a poker game with cards all over the pitch! 13 yellow cards? Really? Where did this ref come from? England? Absolutely horrible World Cup... from the poor FIFA officiating to the distracting vuvuzela, to include the relatively shallow matchup play... this will be one World Cup to forget. Onward to Brazil.
post #206 of 212
Quote:

I thought it was a great match and Spain deserved the win. I also thought that Iniesta played superb throughout the match and deserved the glory of the winning goal. The keepers were both insanely brilliant.

España Olé!!!

I watched in and really enjoyed it. The breakaways from both teams were amazing, quite exciting and as you noted, the fact that the score was still one to nil showed exactly how great a job those keepers did.

Interesting story, I probably would have missed the first part of the game due to my typical Sunday bike ride, but I forgot my shoes to clip in to my bike. So I am drearily heading home and stop by the local Rite-Aid drug store. The line is full of men in soccer jerseys carrying 12-24 packs of beer getting ready for the game. This is of course at 7:45 AM here in So Cal.

I'm guessing they must have been pouring it over their breakfast cereal and had quite the buzz going on by oh... lunch.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #207 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

What final? All I saw was a poker game with cards all over the pitch! 13 yellow cards? Really? Where did this ref come from? England? Absolutely horrible World Cup... from the poor FIFA officiating to the distracting vuvuzela, to include the relatively shallow matchup play... this will be one World Cup to forget. Onward to Brazil.

Every single one of those cards was deserved except one, that I saw. And the karate kick deserved a red. Webb made it clear early on that he wasn't going to put up with an overly physical game. Holland ignored that message completely, to their own demise. Spain did well to respond with as few infractions as they earned. Honestly, as a player, if the other team is roughing you up the way Holland was, it's hard to maintain composure. Spain did a commendable job of doing exactly that. Don't blame Webb, he did an excellent job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_UqgHZfq9s
post #208 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Absolutely horrible World Cup... from the poor FIFA officiating to the distracting vuvuzela, to include the relatively shallow matchup play... this will be one World Cup to forget. Onward to Brazil.

Actually, I think South Africa did a pretty good job. The Vuvuzela seriously needs to die, but there were few major problems in such a large tournament being held for the first time on a continent not known for precise timing and first-world infrastructure.

Of course, the global recession assisted them, in that the wildly-optimistic hope of 15 million attendees was drastically cut down to maybe 200,000. Attendees reported the lack of traditionally long lines at almost every venue. Crime rates seemed comparable to almost any major city hosting a similar tournament.

Congrats to the Africans on their success. I hope the financial legacy is better than the Montreal Olympics.

Quote:

And the karate kick deserved a red.

Yes, it absolutely did.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #209 of 212
Quote:

España Olé!!!

Sorry. Was readjusting to a normal daily schedule after weeks of not enough sleep.

Disgusting match. I was sorry I wasted my time watching it. Spain played well, considering everything else, but all in all it was difficult to sit through. Certainly hope the next World Cup has better sportsmanship.

That kick deserved a red.

Soccer, Inc., didn't win a fan in me yesterday.

post #210 of 212
I propose we recall Germany and Brazil for a real final, and forget that abomination ever happened.
post #211 of 212
Wow, I'm just recovering today from one hell of a World Cup Final party. The match was about what I expected: the only way the Dutch could win was to play rough and to try to kill the rhythm. Watch the Champions League matches of the past several years where Barcelona lose, and there is a consistent theme -- rough play, anti-rhythm, and a big target man. Mourinho is probably the best and executing this plan. The Dutch, however, lack the target man -- if Van Nistelrooy were a few years younger, dare I say they would have won the match 2-0.

Now I am watching all the transfer news. It looks like Real Madrid should have a good year at Barcelona's expense, and that Manchester City will almost certainly establish themselves as the primary competition for Chelsea, in the next ten years of English league. Man United and Liverpool are going to pot. The Bundesliga also seems poised to possibly surpass Serie A in quality.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #212 of 212
I think nobody expected that Spain is going to be the Champion. Me, I didn't think of it either. But I'm happy for them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread