or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Official World Cup 2010 Thread - Page 2

post #41 of 212
pARAGUAY!!!

I can't stand Italy.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #42 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

FIFA knew they would be a problem but did nothing... pre-World Cup practices and friendly matches in Africa revealed the horns would be an issue but FIFA refused to do what it should have done... Address complaints to FIFA and mute audio when you watch games...

Hmm... muting the television at the World Cup's not really a solution.

The atmosphere's such a vital, vital part of the World Cup. Impromptu crowd chants provoked by a near-miss, am impossible save, a strike from 40 yards... all the different nations have their own chants, their own references...

The problem is that you can't any of it. But I'd take the vuvuzelas, which I don't dig, over muting the TV and missing out on the atmosphere altogether.

Secondly... FIFA can't really ask South Africa to host the world's single biggest sporting event and then ask them not to blow their vuvuzelas. I wish they could, don't get me wrong, but I think it would be pretty arrogant to ask South African to give up their football traditions.
post #43 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Hmm... muting the television at the World Cup's not really a solution.

That is the solution in lieu of FIFA doing it on their own: "Vuvuzelas might yet be banned from World Cup."

Quote:

The atmosphere's such a vital, vital part of the World Cup. Impromptu crowd chants provoked by a near-miss, am impossible save, a strike from 40 yards... all the different nations have their own chants, their own references...

The atmosphere does not include Chinese imports of plastic blow horns; politically-correct tolerance of assumed cultural acceptable set aside...

Quote:

Secondly... FIFA can't really ask South Africa to host the world's single biggest sporting event and then ask them not to blow their vuvuzelas. I wish they could, don't get me wrong, but I think it would be pretty arrogant to ask South African to give up their football traditions.

I doubt there is a single authentic vuvuzela in the stadium; you have thousands of cheap Chinese knock-offs spoiling the world's greatest athletic competition and FIFA impotent to do anything about it for fear of politically correct reprisals. Since when did African traditions involve blowing Chinese-imported plastic? The football players on the field can't even hear the referees, spectators can't even hear the announcers yet you defend Chinese imports of plastic horns using cultural defense? Are you more interested in someone's sensitivities or the World Cup itself?

The horns have to go... this World Cup HAS BEEN RUINED by them.
post #44 of 212
Quote:

That is the solution in lieu of FIFA doing it on their own: "Vuvuzelas might yet be banned from World Cup."

The atmosphere does not include Chinese imports of plastic blow horns; politically-correct tolerance of assumed cultural acceptable set aside...

I doubt there is a single authentic vuvuzela in the stadium; you have thousands of cheap Chinese knock-offs spoiling the world's greatest athletic competition and FIFA impotent to do anything about it for fear of politically correct reprisals. Since when did African traditions involve blowing Chinese-imported plastic? The football players on the field can't even hear the referees, spectators can't even hear the announcers yet you defend Chinese imports of plastic horns using cultural defense? Are you more interested in someone's sensitivities or the World Cup itself?

The horns have to go... this World Cup HAS BEEN RUINED by them.

Ruined? \ Not for me. Come on... we haven't even got through the first round of the group stage! The vuvuzelas are mightily annoying, no argument there, but IT'S THE WORLD CUP! No vuvuzela's going to ruin the World Cup. It's just too... World Cuppy.

Look, they blow vuvuzelas at South African football matches. It's their thing. Football's like that. I wish they'd stop, I do, but it's their World Cup too.
post #45 of 212
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #46 of 212
Is it wrong that I want Brazil to win this like 17-nil?
post #47 of 212
Can't we just hope for a good game? I've also got this weird underdog gene that makes me support teams even when their leaders are barking mad/evil/Welsh...

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

post #48 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

Can't we just hope for a good game? I've also got this weird underdog gene that makes me support teams even when their leaders are barking mad/evil/Welsh...

Surely not the Welsh!

PRK's defense seems to be hanging in there. Of course, it takes 8 of them, but they're hanging in. My wife is driving me nuts. She's rooting for PRK right now...
post #49 of 212
What an incredible goal. Extraordinary.
16 more like that??

post #50 of 212
Quite a needle he threaded there. I just hope that PRK's next step isn't to put all 11 men *directly* in the mouth of the goal.
post #51 of 212
Quote:

Ruined?

I can't hear the game! I can't hear the announcer. The players can't hear the officials! The announcers can't hear each other! Yeah I'd say it's a tad more more than "annoying" and approaching "ruined" fast!

Quote:

we haven't even got through the first round of the group stage!

Thus the mandate to ban the cheap horns now so later games can be played without distraction...

~

Great defense by Korea DPR... a FIFA-ranked 105th team going against a FIFA-ranked #1 team and only conceding one goal is true professionalism...
post #52 of 212
and PRK seem to have given up

edit: well, that was a nice goal by PRK!
post #53 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

and PRK seem to have given up

edit: well, that was a nice goal by PRK!

DAMN. I was totally rooting for a DPR Korea win. I know it's perverse. They're good, though. I mean... I can see them really giving Côte d'Ivoire and Portugal some stress...
post #54 of 212
NK's defense was brilliant in the first half. Definitely world class. They got a little tired in the second half. They also are pretty poor with regard to kick accuracy, in both medium to long-range shots on goal and long passing.

Both Brazilian goals were brilliant. The Korean goal was a surprise. Well set-up and well-played... not much Brazil could have done.

I hear people taunting that Brazil really sucks if they can only win by one goal against DPRK. That's just complete bullshit. The North Korean defense was simply that good. Their defense was the precise reason they are in this tournament.
post #55 of 212
Quote:

DAMN. I was totally rooting for a DPR Korea win. I know it's perverse. They're good, though. I mean... I can see them really giving Côte d'Ivoire and Portugal some stress...

There's no way I would promote any opportunity for more propaganda material for DPRK. Any other team, yes. DPRK needs to lose. Though I would feel sorry for the players, as they will likely receive harsh punishment if mistakes are made (they didn't make many against Brazil).
post #56 of 212
Now I want to see if they use that "let's stick every man on the field in the penalty box" defense against someone else, or if that was just to keep Brazil from spreading them out.
post #57 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I hear people taunting that Brazil really sucks if they can only win by one goal against DPRK...The North Korean defense was simply that good. Their defense was the precise reason they are in this tournament.

Well yeah, but Brazil deserves to be taunted regardless.

So far, the Germans have been the most impressive team.
Brazil really needs to step up their game if they want to go all the way.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #58 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Well yeah, but Brazil deserves to be taunted regardless.

So far, the Germans have been the most impressive team.
Brazil really needs to step up their game if they want to go all the way.

Not sure which game you were watching (if you saw it).

Brazil really didn't make many mistakes.
post #59 of 212
Quote:

Not sure which game you were watching (if you saw it).

True, but they took awhile to get into the rhythm of their game. This tournament isn't going to allow for that.
post #60 of 212
Quote:

Brazil battled the worst-ranked team in FIFA World Cup competition to a 2:1 win; not sure you want to brag about that anywhere...
post #61 of 212
Oh joy. Soccer's sound revolution continues to advance.
post #62 of 212
Man. I expected Spain to look a lot better than this. So far, Germany has been the only team that looked monstrous good.
post #63 of 212
Swiss knockoff FIFA #2 Spain in World Cup stunner... what an upset... Spain played poorly and left defense home...
post #64 of 212
Quote:

Swiss knockoff FIFA #2 Spain in World Cup stunner... what an upset... Spain played poorly and left defense home...

Massive, massive shock.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #65 of 212
"This is shaping up to be a pretty crazy world cup," he said, before Germany steamrolled over every team in the competition.
post #66 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Massive, massive shock.

But in a positive way - everybody is going crazy here...
post #67 of 212
That Argentina game was really good. The Korean goal in injury time was fun. Messi was good, but tried to finesse it a little too much. Lucky that own-goal went to South Korea and not North Korea. Do you doubt for an instant that a North Korean would "disappear" if an own-goal was scored?
post #68 of 212
U.S. vs. Algeria starts at 7 AM my time tomorrow.

I guess it might be time for breakfast in bed.

If I'm celebrating the Laker victory late tonight that might be a hard one to pull off.

post #69 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

U.S. vs. Algeria starts at 7 AM my time tomorrow.

I guess it might be time for breakfast in bed.

If I'm celebrating the Laker victory late tonight that might be a hard one to pull off.

I am guessing that USA can manage a real win (please no tie) over Slovenia (note that USA plays them instead of Algeria) assuming a catastrophe does not befall the Men's national team... Insofar as Lakers... LAPD has beefed up security for the inevitable "Destroy the City if the Laker's Win" madness! Sad.
post #70 of 212
Sweet jeebus this game between FRA and MEX is nasty.
post #71 of 212
Wow, France looked *awful*. I thought their opening match was a fluke, maybe. But god, they really look terrible.
post #72 of 212
France, a group of individuals in search of a team. No that won't do; 'search' implies effort and direction. I am not gloating, I'm mystified.

post #73 of 212
Well, tomorrow will be a busy World Cup day for everyone, I imagine.

/me sets alarm for 5:00 am.
post #74 of 212
Can someone get this referee help with his yellow card addiction?
post #75 of 212
Quote:

Can someone get this referee help with his yellow card addiction?

We have been spared bad refs in this World Cup UNTIL NOW... this loser official is ruining Germany v Serbia game... I hope he is disciplined by FIFA....
post #76 of 212
He seems to have dialed it back here in the second half. But his bizarre "every foul gets a card" approach in the first half has ruined this match.
post #77 of 212
Quote:

"This is shaping up to be a pretty crazy world cup," he said, before Germany steamrolled over every team in the competition.

Busy wiping that egg off your face?

Of course, everybody and their mother is going to blame the whole game on the ref.
post #78 of 212
Quote:

Busy wiping that egg off your face?

There's egg in this thread, now? I thought that was just in PO.

I stand by the spirit of my assertion: Germany is the only team so far that has looked as strong as they should. And lord only knows what would have happened is that ref hadn't been a lunatic in the first half.

But it was a shocker of a loss.
post #79 of 212
U.S. just pulled even in their match. Since I woke early, fell back asleep and now just finally woke up, I've only watch about five minutes at this point.

post #80 of 212
Robbed robbed robbed!!!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread