or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official World Cup 2010 Thread - Page 3

post #81 of 212
I guess that answers the question about the refs.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #82 of 212
After equalizing Slovania, the USA was robbed/mugged of go-ahead goal by Ref - poor officials in both games this morning (GER v. SRB and USA v. SVN)... Maurice Edu's winning goal blown off by biased official (Koman Coulibaly). I can't believe this...

Robbed at the World Cup! Late goal disallowed as U.S. forced to settle for 2-2 draw with Slovenia
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/wo...#ixzz0rE0ILqAm

Congratulations USA team on WINNING this game!!!
post #83 of 212
Yeah, U.S.A were robbed of a great comeback by a perverse refereeing decision.
Meanwhile my England are busy being rubbish. Pants.Crap, etc

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply
post #84 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

Yeah, U.S.A were robbed of a great comeback by a perverse refereeing decision.
Meanwhile my England are busy being rubbish. Pants.Crap, etc

I'm not saying anything......

Actually I will say something: ITV coverage SUCKS... really....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #85 of 212
No disagreement there Seg. B team.

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply
post #86 of 212
At least England's defense is playing well. WTF is up with the strikers??
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #87 of 212
No-one in white is playing well to be honest. No-one.

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply
post #88 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

No-one in white is playing well to be honest. No-one.

Cole has looked pretty good, I think.

Edit: Ooh. Crouch is in. Maybe his wife will distract the Algerians!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #89 of 212
A more attacking side will have him for breakfast I'm afraid. That was awful, unremittingly bad. I've just sent my seven year old son off to bed with "get used to a lifetime of disappointment son." We're just not as good as we thought we once were. Somehow we made the French performance yesterday look like a target to aim for. I don't claim any right for us to beat any team, I don't wish to be an arrogant little Englander, all I want is for England to play well. Honestly, a good performance by 11/13 players. Please.

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply
post #90 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

A more attacking side will have him for breakfast I'm afraid. That was awful, unremittingly bad. I've just sent my seven year old son off to bed with "get used to a lifetime of disappointment son." We're just not as good as we thought we once were. Somehow we made the French performance yesterday look like a target to aim for. I don't claim any right for us to beat any team, I don't wish to be an arrogant little Englander, all I want is for England to play well. Honestly, a good performance by 11/13 players. Please.

I can't understand it....it's inconceivable.

It goes beyond any partisan shit...how can it happen. Algeria had a game plan and stuck to it brilliantly to be honest but these guys aren almost amateurs to the world's top professionals. Something is wrong somewhere..

I do feel sorry for Capello actually and the fans regardless of what I've said before. They shouldn't have to experience such a thing.

Capello is saying it's pressure but why???? Everyone has that. And they should handle it better than most.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #91 of 212
Before the tournament began, The BBC's Today Program(me) did an interesting piece on the difficulties of coaching (and playing for) the English national team. Basically, it boiled down to this: England can usually be counted on to make the quarterfinals (or was it the round of 16?) and then peter out, but 90% of England supporters think England has a good chance of winning it all—every time—and so managing expectations is incredibly difficult for both players and coaches.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #92 of 212
Really appreciate your non-partisan approach fy mrawd. You're right-something is really wrong somewhere. Rooney has just had the best club season of his remarkable career, yet his first touch travelled further than I can kick it. Gerrard was consistent- he repeated his awful club season for his country, Lampard was anonymous, Barry the saviour of England , not. Terry, cockney thug, crap. Oh God.
Midwinter, are you over here again? Should I be worried?

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

Reply
post #93 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

Really appreciate your non-partisan approach fy mrawd. You're right-something is really wrong somewhere. Rooney has just had the best club season of his remarkable career, yet his first touch travelled further than I can kick it. Gerrard was consistent- he repeated his awful club season for his country, Lampard was anonymous, Barry the saviour of England , not. Terry, cockney thug, crap. Oh God.
Midwinter, are you over here again? Should I be worried?

Nah...should not be worried...you'll win the next one and go forward but not sure if winning the tournament is realistic.....quarter-finals?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #94 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

Midwinter, are you over here again? Should I be worried?

I'm only here for the World Cup. I live in the land of rednecks who can't imagine why I'd want to watch soccer instead of NASCAR. Seriously. When I asked my barman to turn the sound on for the USUK match, you'd think I asked him to shit a unicorn.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #95 of 212
So since I don't completely understand the scoring system, from my layperson view it now appears that England, who was the group favorite (our should I say favourite when discussing them) appears to be in danger of not advancing.

Am I understanding this all right?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #96 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

Really appreciate your non-partisan approach fy mrawd. You're right-something is really wrong somewhere. Rooney has just had the best club season of his remarkable career, yet his first touch travelled further than I can kick it. Gerrard was consistent- he repeated his awful club season for his country, Lampard was anonymous, Barry the saviour of England , not. Terry, cockney thug, crap. Oh God.
Midwinter, are you over here again? Should I be worried?

That was spectacularly bad. I mean, even by England's capacity to be shockingly fragile and underperfom.

I turned the computer off. I couldn't bear it. Emile Heskey refusing a shot and cutting the ball back for an Algerian defender made me feel sick.
post #97 of 212
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

So since I don't completely understand the scoring system, from my layperson view it now appears that England, who was the group favorite (our should I say favourite when discussing them) appears to be in danger of not advancing.

Am I understanding this all right?

Top two go through and you get 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw.

As of now it is:

1 Slovenia Pts=4 GD=1
2 USA Pts=2 GD=0
3 England Pts=2 GD=0
4 Algeria Pts=1 GD=-1

With one game left each it is

US v Algeria
Eng v Slovenia

I would expect US to beat Algeria taking them to 5 points and qualifying in one of the places. Even a draw getting them 1 point taking them to 3 in total could do it. Which leaves one place up for grabs.

Actually anyone could still qualify and anyone go out.

So basically, if England lose they go out. That would take either US or Algeria above them whatever the result of the US v Algeria game.

Germany could well be in a similar position too.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #98 of 212
Thread Starter 
Italy - New Zealand!!!!!!
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #99 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Italy - New Zealand!!!!!!:

New Zealand showed its lion heart today while Italy acted like babies, protesting with theatrics on-field. The result was a 1-1 tie; which actually means New Zealand won 10-1 based on the FIFA rankings for New Zealand and Italy... Congrats to New Zealand...
post #100 of 212
Some nice team play from Brazil, and aggressive work from CIV, but that game was honestly kind of lame. No exceptional individual play. Lots of uncalled handballs.

Kaka deserved to be booked a couple of times... he was being a jerk all game... but not for that last play.
post #101 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Some nice team play from Brazil, and aggressive work from CIV, but that game was honestly kind of lame. No exceptional individual play. Lots of uncalled handballs.

Kaka deserved to be booked a couple of times... he was being a jerk all game... but not for that last play.

Agreed. That last call was complete shit.

But god almighty, I'm getting sick of the theatrics. That last half was full awful.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #102 of 212
As a serious football fan who also happens to be American, I have been hearing a lot of criticism of the sport from other Americans, who just can't accept the fact that the officials do not use video replay. In my mind, a little controversy actually makes the sport better. I also accept the fact that sports, like life, are not always fair.

Mainstream American sports fans, however, are absolutely obsessed with short-term fairness and non-controversy. In the long-term, there will be bad calls against you, and bad calls to your benefit. Why this is so hard to swallow, I don't quite understand. The US-Slovenia result was a disaster of officiating, but this stuff happens all the time and it keeps things interesting.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #103 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

As a serious football fan who also happens to be American, I have been hearing a lot of criticism of the sport from other Americans, who just can't accept the fact that the officials do not use video replay. In my mind, a little controversy actually makes the sport better. I also accept the fact that sports, like life, are not always fair.

Mainstream American sports fans, however, are absolutely obsessed with short-term fairness and non-controversy. In the long-term, there will be bad calls against you, and bad calls to your benefit. Why this is so hard to swallow, I don't quite understand. The US-Slovenia result was a disaster of officiating, but this stuff happens all the time and it keeps things interesting.

As a non-serious football fan who has only fallen into this (like many of my vaguely aware fellow American Dads) because our asses have been dragged into AYSO for the last half decade or so, I don't think the issue about complete fairness.

Earlier in the thread it was asked why Americans didn't like football(soccer) as much as other sports. I think at least part of it has to do with this concept of taking certain stats and cards forward from game to game as you move through the brackets here.

So you know it wasn't so much that US-Slovenia was a terrible day of officiating or that this is true for other games on other days as well. It is that those cards being shown or the goal not being counted can have a completely different effect later on.

It's one thing to have a bad ref or a bad day. It's a complete different thing to have that bad ref and bad day having consequences two weeks later.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #104 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

As a serious football fan who also happens to be American, I have been hearing a lot of criticism of the sport from other Americans, who just can't accept the fact that the officials do not use video replay. In my mind, a little controversy actually makes the sport better. I also accept the fact that sports, like life, are not always fair.

If the sport is "not always fair" what is the point in playing it? Listen, these referees and officials are not volunteers... they are compensated! Several games recently, most notably German and USA game, featured a head ref that was either incompetent or being paid to throw the game to the other side. That's not something we can accept. FIFA itself has preached "fairness" as a singular attribute... let's at least expect that game officials do it...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Mainstream American sports fans, however, are absolutely obsessed with sho-term fairness and non-controversy. In the long-term, there will be bad calls against you, and bad calls to your benefit. Why this is so hard to swallow, I don't quite understand. The US-Slovenia result was a disaster of officiating, but this stuff happens all the time and it keeps things interesting.

There is no reason whatsoever that instant replay couldn't be instantly adopted in World Cup soccer, especially for ref calls that alter the game result. Head ref game mistakes are not at all interesting, especially for athletes that have spent four years training for this competition. Perhaps if FIFA would discipline its own officials more frequently instant replay would not be needed but the growing frequency of incompetence from officials on the field almost mandates its adoption...
post #105 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

As a serious football fan who also happens to be American, I have been hearing a lot of criticism of the sport from other Americans, who just can't accept the fact that the officials do not use video replay. In my mind, a little controversy actually makes the sport better. I also accept the fact that sports, like life, are not always fair.

Mainstream American sports fans, however, are absolutely obsessed with short-term fairness and non-controversy. In the long-term, there will be bad calls against you, and bad calls to your benefit. Why this is so hard to swallow, I don't quite understand. The US-Slovenia result was a disaster of officiating, but this stuff happens all the time and it keeps things interesting.

Your theory that it all ends up equal would be nice, except for the fact that everyone around the world still hates the US thanks to what Bush... and now Obama... have done.

So it's likely more unfair calls will go against the US. Just sayin'.
post #106 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Your theory that it all ends up equal would be nice, except for the fact that everyone around the world still hates the US thanks to what Bush... and now Obama... have done.

So it's likely more unfair calls will go against the US. Just sayin'.

Okay, so that's just a plainly stupid comment. Just sayin'.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #107 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

If the sport is "not always fair" what is the point in playing it?

Life isn't always fair, what's the point of living?

Imperfections have to be accepted. Over-regulation, the way of the NFL in particular, might solve some amount of injustice, but the end-product is worsened. I love [world] football for many reasons, but the light regulation is definitely a contributing factor to why it is so good, and so competitive. Patience is one of the virtues of football, in both the play and the spectating.

Trumptman: Only AYSO for the last half-decade? Damn. Youth soccer in the states has been on a steady climb for the past 30 years. What is new to the last half decade is that you can go to most urban areas and find more American kids wearing shirts from their favorite European clubs that kids wearing baseball or NFL gear.

Other note: Just watched a great Villa goal.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #108 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Imperfections have to be accepted. Over-regulation, the way of the NFL in particular, might solve some amount of injustice, but the end-product is worsened. I love [world] football for many reasons, but the light regulation is definitely a contributing factor to why it is so good, and so competitive. Patience is one of the virtues of football, in both the play and the spectating.

I don't accept imperfections. Neither should you.

Sounds like you're making excuses for incompetent World Cup officials... just out of curiosity are you related to Koman Coulibaly?

If a referee is considered qualified to officiate World Cup competition he/she should be big enough to apologize for a wrong call and FIFA should stand behind the apology. Neither happened in instance of bad ref call(s) in Germany game and in USA game... we have yet to learn what caused Koman Coulibaly to deny USA's third goal.

Stop apologizing for imperfections that needn't occur in World Cup game officiating. If instant replay can solve this disaster FIFA should adopt it post haste!!!

~

Congrats to Portugal who leveled North Korea... !
post #109 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Trumptman: Only AYSO for the last half-decade? Damn. Youth soccer in the states has been on a steady climb for the past 30 years. What is new to the last half decade is that you can go to most urban areas and find more American kids wearing shirts from their favorite European clubs that kids wearing baseball or NFL gear.

Other note: Just watched a great Villa goal.

Well only half a decade for me because I've got a 10 year old and he's been playing since he was five. I live in So Cal where we don't even have a real American Football team (the Chargers aren't a real time, but I digress) and I have seen Galaxy jersey's and we have the occasional discussion about BIMBO jersey's but otherwise, not so much really yet.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #110 of 212
I want the game decided on the pitch. But the best thing FIFA could do is have a post-game panel review footage and hand out stiff suspensions to those players that are shown to be clearly feigning injuries.

That nonsense must stop.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #111 of 212
Thread Starter 
Tomorrow''s matches decide the fate of the group with US and England...is a potentially interesting situation.

Should England draw 2-2 with Slovenia and USA draw 0-0 with Algeria both USA and England will have scored and conceded the same number of goals- all points will be the same.

All statistics will be identical and tied for second place.

In order to decide which one goes through they will draw lots.

Seems tough.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #112 of 212
Bye bye Les Bleus... enjoy the flight home!
So sad for S. Africa... true lions to the end!
Uruguay & Mexico both advance...

~

USA: BEAT ALGERIA!!!
post #113 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Okay, so that's just a plainly stupid comment. Just sayin'.

Do you deny that in the last 10 years the US has generated far more hatred from all walks of people around the world than other countries?
post #114 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Tomorrow''s matches decide the fate of the group with US and England...is a potentially interesting situation.

Should England draw 2-2 with Slovenia and USA draw 0-0 with Algeria both USA and England will have scored and conceded the same number of goals- all points will be the same.

All statistics will be identical and tied for second place.

In order to decide which one goes through they will draw lots.

Seems tough.

There are also the factors that Algeria is going home no matter what. That might make them a team easier to defeat since the outcome might be the same or it might make them someone wanting to put a sting into someone else since they aren't advancing.

Likewise Algeria is advancing regardless of outcome so they might want to continue that confidence or, they might want to put a historical spank on England and eliminate them early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Do you deny that in the last 10 years the US has generated far more hatred from all walks of people around the world than other countries?

We can deny it, but let's deny it in PO.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #115 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Tomorrow''s matches decide the fate of the group with US and England...is a potentially interesting situation.

Should England draw 2-2 with Slovenia and USA draw 0-0 with Algeria both USA and England will have scored and conceded the same number of goals- all points will be the same.

All statistics will be identical and tied for second place.

In order to decide which one goes through they will draw lots.

Seems tough.

If they both draw, it is decided on goals. If they both win they both go through. If they both lose, then neither one of them goes through. If one wins and the other draws or loses, the one that wins goes through and the one that draws or loses doesn't.
post #116 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

We can deny it, but let's deny it in PO.

The original assertion was made in relation to the context of this thread.

Anyway, the official in question has apparently been placed off active duty.
post #117 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

There are also the factors that Algeria is going home no matter what.

You're wrong. If the US and UK both lose, Algeria goes through.
post #118 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Likewise Algeria is advancing regardless of outcome...

Likewise, you're wrong again. And I think you meant to say Slovenia.
post #119 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Do you deny that in the last 10 years the US has generated far more hatred from all walks of people around the world than other countries?

That 'hatred' comes mainly from leftist retards who convenient turn a blind eye to all the undemocratic regimes that are openly thieving, lying and killing people.

Like Trumpt says, this is a discussion for PO. The World Cup is not a political forum, and it is seriously misguided to even suggest that FIFA referees are influenced by politics when making calls against the USA.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #120 of 212
The Uruguay/Mexico game was great. Good riddance to France. Sad to see South Africa go. I imagine that's going to significantly hurt attendance figures in a tournament that already had serious issues.

The game of the week is obviously Portugal vs. Brazil. Can't wait till Friday!
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official World Cup 2010 Thread