or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T caps new iPhone, iPad data plans at 2GB, announces tethering

AT&T caps new iPhone, iPad data plans at 2GB, announces tethering - Page 4

post #121 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

The name of this article should really be changed to:

AT&T nearly doubles the cost of 5 GB of data for users, from $30 per month to $55 per month

OR

ATT cuts the data plan price for the 98% of iPhone users 25 - 50%
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #122 of 360
So I save $5 out of $30 for less than half the amount of usage? Why can't they charge us less than half the price?? i.e. $12....now that would be a deal! It's the principle that ATT can charge much less than they are...that's why everyone should be pissed off about.

ATT is doing a preemptive strike on its users....once the tech (iphone 4th gen) requires more usage (video chatting, multi tasking, NETFLIX!!) they will offer higher GB at higher prices....I can see a future "unlimited" ATT plan running for $40.
post #123 of 360
Uh-oh, I hope that O2 UK don't follow suit. I doubt I go over 2GB a month but I'd rather have the peace of mind of no hard limit.
post #124 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Stop defending this Crap, if they realize they were over chairing, why didn't then KEEP the "unlimited" (really 5 gig) plan and make a new plan for 1 gig for $15 and keep the "unlimited" plan.

If you have the unlimited plan now you get to keep it.

Quote:
Yeah maybe NOW you don't, but what happens once video chat comes out, or Itunes cloud, Sling box over 3g, Hulu, SKYPE Etc.. You don't realize the data you will be using. The iPad plan change is a SLAP in the face. this weekend I downloaded a movie off itunes on my iPad(since i was not at home) it was 1.4 gigs, I streamed the Celtics game using sling box (600 mb). Downloaded a GPS app (1.7 gigs) downloaded the Wired magazine app (500 mb) This was just one weekend!!!

Well if you want to do all of that over 3G you will have to pay for it.

Quote:
This is BULL CRAP. AT&T Should be expanding their capacity on their net work not lowing their CAPs and charging MORE. They are just gouging now.

AT&T is actively expanding their WiFi network and allowing iPhone/iPad to use it for free.

Quote:
The Tethering plan is a F'ING joke! pay extra $20 for the same bits but get NO more data. WTF do they really think we are stupid. This is Bull its time to switch.

You can go to Verizon where they charge the same for only 5GB.
post #125 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

So... with this new plan I can pay $25 (instead of the current $30), and add $20 for tethering, and use the tethering to get 3G service on my iPad, thus allowing me to avoid paying $30 per month for the iPad 3G service? Or am I missing something?

That won't work. You won't be able to tether to the iPad. At least, that's my impression.

Edit: And why would you want to? You'd have to have your phone with you to connect to the internet?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #126 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What did you guys expect? Free unlimited tethering?! We all knew this was coming. You want tethering then pay for it. This might save me $30/month for both iPhone on my family plan. I have WiFi everywhere and I use less than 200MB cellular data.

To me, it sounds that AT&T will lose its iPhone exclusivity this Jun.

In Canada I pay $30 a month for 6 GB of data and have free tethering. Tethering isn't an additional service provided when the data plan is already capped, the iPhone does all the work.

Paying for tethering is like paying the gas station attendant for wiping your windows, even though you did it yourself and brought your own squeegee.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #127 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

be careful that you understand what is happening here. Your comment sounds like you think it's a pay as you go type plan where you pay for data 2GB at a time. It's not. on the phone it is 2 GB per month every month on contract, if you go over you can add data 1gb at a time until the month runs out. but if you don't use it all, sucks for you. there's no data carryover. same on the ipad but without the contract part.
so I would be sure that you don't go over 2gb (maybe that month you guys were on vacation but otherwise not) before you drop down.

Makes me glad I just purchased an iPad 3G yesterday. If it is still permissible, I'd lock in to the unlimited for 29.99 until I see what my needs actually are, and it's still nice to know there is no "cap".

Guess now when somebody says what can an iPad do for me, I can say it allows me to have all the 3G access I need while only paying for a nominal amount of data for the iPhone whenever I get one. At my age and with my eyes, I'd much rather view things on the iPad then the smaller iPhone screen anyway and it's not necessarily about carrying two devices all the time, as each will be at hand to serve their purpose when appropriate.

Just out of curiosity, for those that know, what is YOUR 3G data usage from AT&T? Are you well below 2GB? Do you fit in AT&T's statistics?
?
?
?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #128 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingrub View Post

As a "heavy" user this upsets me tremendously. I go way over 2GB a month, and do you know why? I am buying music, movies, and apps from Apple and playing online games that I paid for. This is an example of how the mainstreaming of the internet is screwing the people who have been around for a long time. These companies charge an arm and a leg and then start capping the amount that people can download. That is bs. I will abandon Apple and keep switching to companies that offer true unlimited data plans. To those who cave in and say "this is the future" you are ignorant and letting companies push you around. With the amount of money these companies make it shouldn't be blamed on consumers using "too much bandwidth" - it is the company's responsibility to improve their infrastructure by updating their tech to meet the demands of the future. I can't tell you how many dropped calls I get a day on my iPhone, but I put up with the crap because I know that I at least get unlimited data. What is the point of staying with this crappy network if they don't even offer one good perk.

buy on wi-fi
post #129 of 360
i use my iPhone ALL THE TIME.
let me repeat that, ALL THE TIME.

i just checked and last month i used 146 megs of 3G data.
[i'm on wifi at work, at home, at all of my friends / family homes]

and now my wife can get an iphone - she didn't like the idea of paying $30 a month when all she wants is an iPod and phone all in one - occasionally using google maps.

...so both of our data plans will cost as much as mine does now.

one question - how much data/bandwidth will iChat consume over 3G???
post #130 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I welcome the tiered data plans with grateful open arms. I've been wanting this for a long time. I'm almost always on a wi-fi network so my 3G data usage is shockingly low. It irked me to no end that I was required to pay so much for a service that I didn't even use. Now at least the fees are more manageable. $15 a month for 200MB is more than sufficient for my uses and I doubt I'll ever come close to reaching the limit.

I also think these new plans will curtail usage by the fringe who are using 3G data at insane levels.

My big gripe is that tethering costs so darn much. Why a monthly charge? Shouldn't it be like the iPad plan be an opt in at any time thing? I might be willing to pay the $20 to tether my wi-fi iPad to my iPhone 3G if I was going on a trip where I knew there wouldn't be wi-fi access. But I'm not paying $20 a month even if I don't use tethering. Also it seems insane that tethering would cost me more than the $15 a month data plan on my iPhone. Shouldn't tethering cost less than your data plan?

So not perfect, but still a welcome change.

Exactly! Welcome the tiers also, and other comments are spot on.
Also, if you go over 200Meg ... another $15 for 200Meg, but if you go over the 1Gig, only $10. Thats just goofy.
Then still charging for text messages if you have a data plan... pure rip off.
Bring on the competition, otherwise the Govt will jump in.
post #131 of 360
Screw AT&T

Seriously though, 2gb is crap. When I was in Iowa I did mild web browsing tethered to my phone after work. I stayed in this craptastic hotel for 3 months which had like 20kbps download speeds. It was unbearable. Anyways, I was averaging over 5gb a month, and this was just through web browsing. No big file downloads or anything.

What people are saying about a higher price in the future for "unlimited" seems about right. This is just AT&T playing their business cards as best as they can to keep profits as high as they can. For any business, managing that bottom line can be tricky. What's the least you can give for the most amount of money before customers drop you altogether...

At least with Sprint, unlimited is actually unlimited, but even they're charging an extra $10 a month for the evo because they know those phones will use up a lot of bandwidth.

<~~~Oh hey, post #1000
post #132 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

In Canada I pay $30 a month for 6 GB of data and have free tethering. Tethering isn't an additional service provided when the data plan is already capped, the iPhone does all the work.

Paying for tethering is like paying the gas station attendant for wiping your windows, even though you did it yourself and brought your own squeegee.

I agree with you. I think with time AT&T will have to match the competition and offer free tethering just like Verizon. However, people want tethering AND unlimited, which will never happen.
post #133 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So now your story becomes that you speculated that AT&T would change data price structure in any way. Even though your implication is that they would raise the price. Your speculation said nothing about lowering the price.

I guarantee you this is directly because of LTE. They are lowering the costs of 3G so that more people get smart phones and data plans become the norm. This sets up for them to charge a premium for 4G.

My implication was that they would raise the price, and what they have done is raise the price. The cell model has always been the same, scare you into buying more of whatever service you use by charging ridiculous rates for overages. That is the model they have just reestablished here as well.

The same amount of use as before on the unlimited plan now costs $55 due to overages. The second you hit one megabyte over on the lower priced plan, you double the cost.

Will this likely scale even higher when 4G arrives, even while reports are telling us they will be able to triple the amount of data sent using the same bandwidth while lowering costs, of course it will.

Understand that I never claimed that costs for LTE wouldn't be used as a rationale for raising prices. I simply said they didn't need to wait until then based off the moves they were making.

They haven't. Unbundling and metered use is all about raising costs.

Quote:

Tethering should be free, there is no additional service provided. You could make an argument with an unlimited plan, but not for one with a hard cap.

Glad I'm in Canada. You guys should tell AT&T to shove it.

I might. I'm on Tmobile right now and was pondering a move, now perhaps not so much. If they had the network to justify such costs, it might be worth it. In otherwords even if I pay the same on Verizon, at least I know I'm getting the network to go with it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #134 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Couple of Points:

1. What kind of tethering? If it's only USB/Bluetooth then it's worthless. WiFi tethering is the only worthwhile way to go, and I have no plans to stop my iPhone from doing so.

I wouldn't say "worthless." I've tethered on 3G via bluetooth on Verizon's netowork, and it wasn't bad. Not great speed, but acceptable.

Quote:

2. $15/200 mb is good, but not good enough. For people new to iPhone, who are leery about the extreme cost (given that they barely use data at all), this 200 mb a month should be FREE. That's right it should. Free. If you exceed the first 200 mb, then AT&T can charge you $15 for 200 more for the month. THIS would be useful for attracting all those 50 and 60 year olds who would love a phone they could actually see (nothing compares to iPhone) and could actually justify the cost.

Free? Why...because you bought an iPhone? The net result of this is that people w/o data plans end up paying for people that use data!

Quote:

3. 2 gb/$25 is extortion, borderline criminal. This is going backwards, and its the worst news we have ever received in the life of the iPhone.

Extortion? Criminal? That's looney. The vast majority of people don't use this much data. It's more than reasonable. The only problem is tethering. If the $20 fee doesn't entitle one to more data, that's a serious problem.

Quote:

4. Thank God AT&T is not going to screw existing customers out of their Unlimited plans (at least not this year, be prepared for it to happen though!).

I don't really need mine, so I don't care. 2GB is fine. 200MB might even be OK, though I think I use more like 500, so I'll have to see.
post #135 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Just out of curiosity, for those that know, what is YOUR 3G data usage from AT&T? Are you well below 2GB? Do you fit in AT&T's statistics?
?
?
?

Waaay below, usually about 100meg, use home wifi alot.

Now if I didn't have Wifi... hmmm. thats an interesting quesetion whether to dump cable and go purely tethering. I don't know how much my average wifi usage is. Is there a program that can track that on my PC?

The problem is software updates and videos. What to do when windoz does an update etc. would have to make a special trip to local wifi spot.
post #136 of 360
This opens up a lot of questions about the AT&T and Apple's partnership moving forward.

I have to think that wish such a shitty option for anything more than 2GB that no one else is getting the iPhone next week, but AT&T will no longer have a contract with Apple and the iPhone will be unlocked, like the iPad.

The dropping of the iPad unlimited for $30 may lead to a class action, even though month-to-month are subject to change at any time. I think most would use well under 2GB and therefore save $5 but I can see a lawsuit happening.

I didn't mind the lack of free tethering for the unlimited plans which were clearly unlimited for that device, nothing else, but when you cap the usage then charging for tethering is a slap in the face. Unless that required extra $20 also gets you a couple more GBs then I can't see it as a decent offer.

AT&T seems to have made the wrong business choices yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

All I've got to say is Tenobell, I was right. Us geeks know that AT&T's former plan, even when called unlimited had a small print limit of 5 gigs.

Small print, yes, that is well known, but it was never enforced. Even when I was doing 40GB a month I was charged more, warned, capped or throttled.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #137 of 360
Quote:

I agree with you. However, people want tethering AND unlimited, which will never happen.

Those people are just unreasonable. However, even the "unlimited" plan had a 5 GB cap of some sort, as I'm not on AT&T I don't know what the consequences of hitting it were.
post #138 of 360
Quote:

Those people are just unreasonable. However, even the "unlimited" plan had a 5 GB cap of some sort, as I'm not on AT&T I don't know what the consequences of hitting it were.

The current iPad and iPhone plans are actually unlimited. No 5GB limit.
post #139 of 360
Quote:

That's what I find distasteful about these plans. If you have a cap, why also put restrictions on how you can use the data? My analogy would be you have paid for a dessert at Dairy Queen, you get a single cone for a price. But if you want to share it with your son you have to pay an additional 80%. You don't get any more ice cream but you get to share it.

The other part is the price for 2GB. Previously they were getting essentially 5GB with the softcap for $30. The new plans give them 2/5 of this for 5/6 of the price. Per GB these plans are much higher. To get back to 5GB would cost $55. So, they are getting less for more. Sort of like a supermarket saying "most customer are not using the whole carton of eggs. So, we are going to give you more flexibility. Instead of $4 for a dozen eggs we are going to let you buy 3 eggs for $3.50 and buy each additional egg for $1." For the majority that didn't eat a dozen eggs, they do save a tiny bit of money. But if they ever eat a more than the normally do, they will pay much more for it.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #140 of 360
Quote:

The current iPad and iPhone plans are actually unlimited. No 5GB limit.

Then why have I been hearing about a 5 GB limit in the fine print for ages?
post #141 of 360
Quote:

EXACTLY!

There was an article not too long ago about iPhone users in Spain being provided with a SIM card for their iPad with no additional charge.
post #142 of 360
Let's not forget why AT&T is really doing this: If their network did not stink so much and have trouble with keeping up with its customers AND not having to deal with constant dropped calls, maybe they wouldn't have to take the unlimited usage away.

Apple PLEASE go to other providers so AT&T will have no choice but to modify there data usage plan again.

Dan
post #143 of 360
Quote:

Then why have I been hearing about a 5 GB limit in the fine print for ages?

The current unlimited iPhone data plan is called "Data Plan For iPhone" and it is unlimited. The 5GB limit applies to DataConnect plans only. There is no mention of the iPhones data plan in the fine prints. This point was addressed many times.
post #144 of 360
On June 1, I entered into my 2nd month of the iPad 250 MB plan for $15. It charged my credit card. Saw all the news today about the cancellation of the unlimited plan, so I "upgraded my account." However, I was CHARGED THE FULL $30, not the difference between the two plans ($15).

Does anyone know how to contact ATT support?? It won't let me register to get into the ATT website with my iPad phone number. Has anyone else been able to get logged in, so I can access the customer support portion???

Thanks!!!

-Sam
post #145 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan uff View Post

Let's not forget why AT&T is really doing this: If their network did not stink so much and have trouble with keeping up with its customers AND not having to deal with constant dropped calls, maybe they wouldn't have to take the unlimited usage away.

Apple PLEASE go to other providers so AT&T will have no choice but to modify there data usage plan again.

Dan

They won't be changing this plan and other carriers have suggested that they will be moving to similar models. Tiered pricing is here to stay, and for the most part it's a good thing. Paying for tethering however is not.

Ideally you would pay for a set amount of data service and would be permitted to use that data however you please, with an unlimited amount of 3G and tethered devices connected to it. Or at least unlimited tethering and a marginal fee to add another 3G device. We are coming up on an era of multiple connected devices, it isn't feasible to pay for them all independently.
post #146 of 360
Next up - the ISPs. Those out there who applaud this because you don't use much bandwidth are fooling themselves. Your rates for what your ISP is going to charge you will be higher than what you pay now - and for less bandwidth. I wouldn't be surprised if even the lowest tier for an ISP is more than what they charge as a flat rate right now.

Look at what that beautiful piece of legislation <sarcasm> called the FTC Act of 1993, which deregulated the cable industry, did for your cable bills. It increased them 10-fold over the last 15 years and has done nothing to increase competition. I would love to hear from anyone who has a choice of two CABLE company ISPs. Anyone? FIOS doesn't count - different technology.

Deregulation isn't always the answer. Unfettered capitalism is a bad thing. The snake oil salesmen of more than 100 years ago taught us that.
post #147 of 360
Quote:

The current unlimited iPhone data plan is called "Data Plan For iPhone" and it is unlimited. The 5GB limit applies to DataConnect plans only. There is no mention of the iPhones data plan in the fine prints. This point was addressed many times.

Thanks, I'd never seen that explained.
post #148 of 360
This is definitely a "bait and switch" move relative to the iPad WiFi+3G, sold with the understanding of a just announced data plan, and just over the 30 days for anyone who signed up for a data plan on release day and canceled it so it wouldn't auto-renew. I think it's time for AT&T to get some FTC love on this subject, and I'll be contacting them to file a complaint. I urge anyone else affected by this action to do the same.

And, yes, it would be trivially easy to go over 2GB of data in 30 days on an iPad.

On second thought, you're probably more likely to see faster action on this if you contact your Senators and Congressman.
post #149 of 360
Quote:

You get to keep your unlimited data plan.

I don't understand why you are on 3G that much. WiFi is everywhere.

Is publicly-accessible wifi everywhere? Hardly. Closed networks don't provide you anything.
post #150 of 360
You guys all sound like teenage boys. Hopefully most of you threatening to switch phones/carriers are really serious about it so I don't have to read your pathetic rants day after day and deal with you hogging my network. Tethering is so five years ago.

I am a heavy iPhone user and use my phone for work and for leisure. I would say that my iPhone use is pretty data-heavy, but nothing near 5GB, or even 2GB for that matter. Most of the time I am using data I am connected to Wi-Fi; only when I'm connected to 3G and using data is when I'm driving and using Maps, but that usage will never come near 2GB. A few times a week I may download an app using 3G, but a 10 MB app is equal to 0.009765625 GB. And guess what? You have to connect to Wi-Fi to download a 10MB or greater app. So you'll have to download a lot of <10MB apps to get in trouble every month.

Some of your guys' complaints are so invalid it is embarrassing to even try to point them out. Personally, I'm excited about my phone bill dropping from $84 to $69 per month.
post #151 of 360
I pray for the day that Apple decides to open the iPhone to Verizon. AT&T has been greedy since their inception. I'm old enough to remember the days when AT&T monopoly would charge $1 per minute land line long distance. And this was in the dys of $0.35 per gallon gasoline. Their coirporate philosophy hasn't changed. Give the minimum customer service ans satisfaction for the maximum dollar. The consumer needs competition.

I've been a loyal Apple fan (and stockholder). I switched from a decent carrier (T-mobile) to AT&T just to get the iPhone. My service is definately not as good as it was with T-mobile. Since the iPhone was initially announced, tethering was promised. Year after year, no tethering. Now, tethering will be allowed - at a premium price. I'm about ready to get a Droid just to have a decent carrier with adequate customer service.

Until then, jailbreak. The customer has at least one weapon to fight back.
post #152 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

This is analogous to the water company saying that each household could use 5,000 gallons a month, but you have to pay extra if you want

to fill your swimming pool with it.

You don't buy a 2 GB slot, you buy a share in a 2 GB slot. And AT&T is selling more than one share per 2 GB slot. It is like airplane tickets, the airlines will always sell more tickets than they have seats (if they can find enough buyers) because they expect that not everybody will actually show up. Same for AT&T, they don't expect everybody to use 2 GB, they would not even have the bandwidth for that. But as long as others under-consume in regard to what AT&T is budgeting for every user (maybe 700 MB), some can over-consume (in regard to AT&T's internal budget for them). And naturally the more people are allowed to tether, their average consumption will go up, and AT&T won't be able to sell 2 GB slot three times, but maybe only 1.5 times. Which means, the price has to go up, if AT&T wants to have the same income.

To make a simple example, assume AT&T has a total bandwidth of 1000 GB/month for a given cell tower. If the average user uses 500 MB/month (with an advertised 2 GB cap), it can sell 2000 data plans in the area. Assume the average usage goes up to 1 GB if tethering is allowed. Now it can sell only 1000 data plans or it might have to put up another cell tower to keep selling 2000 data plans. So, either way it has to double prices to keep income the same while keeping its costs constant (one cell tower) OR it has to double prices to double income as costs double (adding a second tower).

The point is, with tethering you will use more data, who should pay for this? The other customers who do not tether and thus under-consume, or those which do use tethering and thus over-consume?
post #153 of 360
Having data caps at different price points is nice, but may be troublesome if apps continue being developed under the mindset that data usage is unlimited. The NYT's and Thomson Reuters apps let me download news articles that I can read later read offline. Thus I can set these apps to only use wifi to download and refresh with the latest articles, saving me from using 3G data. Then there are apps like Sci Fi Wire which never seems to stop downloading the entire time I have it open, fun articles to read but a poorly designed app. I like to reminisce about my Palm PDA days and how the programs where designed to download content for offline viewing, because back then, constantly persistent unlimited 3G didn't exist. Depending on which direction future app development for the iPhone takes, either constant network reliance or connect and download content, will determine how frustrating having a data plan with a usage cap will be.

Several people mentioned the move towards cloud computing. Hopefully Apple will have some foresight in implementing such tools in a way that keeps network traffic and data usage to a minimum. Otherwise, what AT&T is doing with its data plan and where companies are heading with cloud computing, each traveling in opposing directions, will tear customers apart with frustration.
post #154 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

So I save $5 out of $30 for less than half the amount of usage? Why can't they charge us less than half the price?? i.e. $12....now that would be a deal! It's the principle that ATT can charge much less than they are...that's why everyone should be pissed off about.

So 2 GB is 1/2 of unlimited? If you can't even get the math right, why should anyone listen to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

ATT is doing a preemptive strike on its users....once the tech (iphone 4th gen) requires more usage (video chatting, multi tasking, NETFLIX!!) they will offer higher GB at higher prices....I can see a future "unlimited" ATT plan running for $40.

No, AT&T is doing a preemptive strike on the pigs who are clogging the network with their data demands - a very, very tiny percentage of users.

Quote:

In Canada I pay $30 a month for 6 GB of data and have free tethering. Tethering isn't an additional service provided when the data plan is already capped, the iPhone does all the work..

That's nice. OTOH, you could live in Europe and pay much more than the new AT&T rates. In case no one ever explained it to you, countries are different and your experience in Canada has no meaning for US customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i use my iPhone ALL THE TIME.
let me repeat that, ALL THE TIME.

i just checked and last month i used 146 megs of 3G data.
[i'm on wifi at work, at home, at all of my friends / family homes]

and now my wife can get an iphone - she didn't like the idea of paying $30 a month when all she wants is an iPod and phone all in one - occasionally using google maps.

My situation is about the same. I just checked - my iPhone is 23 months old (new one this month, I hope!) and has 133 MB upload and 2.6 GB download over that entire period.

Of course, I'm careful to use WiFi when it's available, but mostly for speed reasons rather than cost.

I'm in the same boat - my daughter wants my old iPhone when I upgrade, but I didn't want to spend the money on the data plan. With the new, lower cost plans, it might make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That's what I find distasteful about these plans. If you have a cap, why also put restrictions on how you can use the data? My analogy would be you have paid for a dessert at Dairy Queen, you get a single cone for a price. But if you want to share it with your son you have to pay an additional 80%. You don't get any more ice cream but you get to share it.

That's one of the most strained analogies I've ever seen. Hint: cell phone data plans are not Dairy Queen ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Agreed. A buddy of mine just got a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. He can make a free WiFi Hot Spot with his phone and tether several devices at once. For free.

Not worth it. I wouldn't use a Palm Pre if they paid me. But if you're willing to use a crappy phone to save a couple of bucks, go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm not sure you understand how this works. For 3 straight years AT&T has only offered and required Unlimited data, for 20, then $30/mon. This was prohibitive to many potential customers. What AT&T wants is more subscribers, not more dollars per user. The $15 option is supposed to lure the person who wants an iPhone, but isn't a power user. It's a good idea, but I do not think it's aggressive enough. Maybe not 200 mb, but at least 50 or 100 mb should be FREE.

You're on the right track. I think I may sign my daughter up for a low usage plan (as explained above) but never would have with the old plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Exactly. These new plans won't work for heavy data users.

They also just gave their competition an excellent marketing advantage.

Sure. "If you're a heavy porn downloader who spends 12 hours per day downloading porn, we'll give you a cheaper plan. Meanwhile, the rest of our customers will suffer because you're clogging up our pipelines".

Sounds like a great promotion.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #155 of 360
Lot's of yelling going on in this thread...

Just wait till Verizon follows suit with their data cost increase.
post #156 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by losgofres View Post

You guys all sound like teenage boys. Hopefully most of you threatening to switch phones/carriers are really serious about it so I don't have to read your pathetic rants day after day and deal with you hogging my network. Tethering is so five years ago.

I am a heavy iPhone user and use my phone for work and for leisure. I would say that my iPhone use is pretty data-heavy, but nothing near 5GB, or even 2GB for that matter. Most of the time I am using data I am connected to Wi-Fi; only when I'm connected to 3G and using data is when I'm driving and using Maps, but that usage will never come near 2GB. A few times a week I may download an app using 3G, but a 10 MB app is equal to 0.009765625 GB. And guess what? You have to connect to Wi-Fi to download a 10MB or greater app. So you'll have to download a lot of <10MB apps to get in trouble every month.

Some of your guys' complaints are so invalid it is embarrassing to even try to point them out. Personally, I'm excited about my phone bill dropping from $84 to $69 per month.

People complaints are invalid because they don't apply to your situation? People with iPad have the potential to consume more data than you on your iPhone, so the 2 GB cap may be an issue for some considering they were promised unlimited, but now lose that if they cancel their service (which is the point of a month to month data plan). That seems valid to me. But I do think it was an inevitability, and it does lower the costs for many (like yourself).

Paying for tethering when there is no additional service provided is also a valid complaint.

You appear to be the child in the room, using phrases like "so five years ago" and thinking that how these changes impact you is the only thing that matters.
post #157 of 360
Quote:

If you have the unlimited plan now you get to keep it.

Yes, but on the iPad if I cancel for 1 month (because I don't need it that month) I lose my unlimited plan.
Quote:
Well if you want to do all of that over 3G you will have to pay for it.

Umm I was paying for it before, 5 gigs for $30. now I get to pay $25 for 2. RIP OFF
Quote:
AT&T is actively expanding their WiFi network and allowing iPhone/iPad to use it for free.

That's great, but the last I looked there is no wifi on the T (subway) thats why i'm paying for 3G and its not "Free" you have to have a data plan.
Quote:
You can go to Verizon where they charge the same for only 5GB.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, might be a good idea. I like how I have 3G built into my iPad so I do not have to carry around another device and worry about its battery. but you really cant deny $30 for 5 gigs is better than $25 for 2 gigs. (the new iPad is not unlimited)
post #158 of 360
$15 per extra 200MB on the 200MB/mo plan is highway robbery. $5 per extra 200MB would have been a much more reasonable billing option. Even at the "reasonable" overage rate of $5/200MB, using 2GB would cost $60.
post #159 of 360
This rational only applies to a very small minority of people who used a lot of bandwidth. For the vast majority of people $30 for unlimited is unnecessary. It isn't like 3G is the only option for data on mobile devices. AT&T is working to increase the WiFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

My implication was that they would raise the price, and what they have done is raise the price. The cell model has always been the same, scare you into buying more of whatever service you use by charging ridiculous rates for overages. That is the model they have just reestablished here as well.
post #160 of 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by losgofres View Post

Umm your math is wrong your "Saving" $5 not $15.

Also I LOVE how every one is excited to pay a little less, to get ALLOT Less.
if AT&T really wanted to do users good, they would have added a $15 for 2 gig plan
But no they want to screw you and take as much money as they can.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T caps new iPhone, iPad data plans at 2GB, announces tethering