or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The OFFICIAL AI Fox News/O'Reilly Factor thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL AI Fox News/O'Reilly Factor thread

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
I've recently discovered the FOX News channel. Many people hate it and I can't see why. It seems like the most unbiased news network out there. They also seem to go more in-depth into stories than say, CNN does. As for the O'Reilly Factor, I think this guy is great. I think his "no spin zone" is just that, he backs up his arguments with logical reasoning and makes people answer his questions when they try to talk around them. Even if you don't like his political views, his show still makes you think, and that is something the news does so rarely nowadays, make people think! Please don't turn this into a Demo. vs. Repub. thing,
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #2 of 42
He can go off on tangents sometimes. Last year he got upset because a potatoe chip company made their bags smaller. He was outraged, I thought it was pretty funny. Althought his ranting, last year, about Jessie Jackson, was right on.
post #3 of 42
Some of his topics I don't care about. Some things he harps on for too long. But I like the way he holds peoples' feet to the fire. Like how all these "human rights" organizations spend half their ink condemning the US and then have nothing to say about some US special forces being kill "execution style".
post #4 of 42
[quote]I think his "no spin zone" is just that, he backs up his arguments with logical reasoning and makes people answer his questions when they try to talk around them. Even if you don't like his political views, his show still makes you think, and that is something the news does so rarely nowadays, make people think! <hr></blockquote>

Here is the major problem with O'Reilly: He doesn't let people make their points. He will cut them off and even go the extra length to prove his point to the viewers. A lot of 'news shows' do this now, but especially him.

When he gets the chance to talk for a few minutes, he can build a fairly good case for whatever he's arguing about, but never gives the other side enough of a chance to say why they think they are right. He'll just say/yell that they are ridiculous and cut them off.

As for Fox News being objective and 'unbiased', the only people that ever seem to say that are the conservatives who are brainwashed by that stuff.

I also find it unbelievable that nearly every time I flip by his show, he seems to be blaming something on Bill Clinton. The guy is the farthest you can actually be from 'unbiased'. That doesn't mean that I always disagree with what he has to say, but he always makes his own judgement about an issue before letting a person on, and will never let the other person get their good points in unless he agrees with them. As for his 'no spin zone', I find that amusing since all he does is put his own spin on the stories.
post #5 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>

Here is the major problem with O'Reilly: He doesn't let people make their points. He will cut them off and even go the extra length to prove his point to the viewers. A lot of 'news shows' do this now, but especially him.

When he gets the chance to talk for a few minutes, he can build a fairly good case for whatever he's arguing about, but never gives the other side enough of a chance to say why they think they are right. He'll just say/yell that they are ridiculous and cut them off.

...
</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's the no spin zone. You have to cut off the spin. Most people get equal time. He has his people go back adn time out how long people get to speak. But if they're dodging the questions he'll stop them and get them back on topic.
post #6 of 42
FoxNews is my all-time favorite news channel! And O'Reilly kicks ass

/turns to channel 360 on DirecTV
<a href="http://www.toolband.com" target="_blank">www.toolband.com</a>
Reply
<a href="http://www.toolband.com" target="_blank">www.toolband.com</a>
Reply
post #7 of 42
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by Josey Wales:
<strong>FoxNews is my all-time favorite news channel! And O'Reilly kicks ass

/turns to channel 360 on DirecTV</strong><hr></blockquote>

wow, it's only channel 48 for me. glad you're aboard!
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #8 of 42
heh..I have been watching FoxNews for quite some time now.

DirecTV numbers are 100 and up.
<a href="http://www.toolband.com" target="_blank">www.toolband.com</a>
Reply
<a href="http://www.toolband.com" target="_blank">www.toolband.com</a>
Reply
post #9 of 42
[quote] Here is the major problem with O'Reilly: He doesn't let people make their points. He will cut them off and even go the extra length to prove his point to the viewers. A lot of 'news shows' do this now, but especially him. <hr></blockquote>

I agree. He's skilled enough as a debater to not have to use such a shoddy and annoying trick.

[quote] As for Fox News being objective and 'unbiased', the only people that ever seem to say that are the conservatives who are brainwashed by that stuff. <hr></blockquote>

When conservatives want news that's objective and 'unbiased' they watch FOX News, when liberals want news that's objective and 'unbiased' they listen to NPR.

[quote] I also find it unbelievable that nearly every time I flip by his show, he seems to be blaming something on Bill Clinton. <hr></blockquote>

It's truly amazing how much damage he did in only eight years.
post #10 of 42
Oh my god, you people need help. It will be the day Bush can outsmart a carrot that I will watch that horrendous network.
post #11 of 42
*yawn* sounds like another Democract on the loose...
Follow me on Twitter.
Reply
Follow me on Twitter.
Reply
post #12 of 42
I just went to Fox News to see what all the fuss is about...

What a loada crap!!

On the news ticker, sandwiched between news of the death of the Queen Mother and America's War Against Terror was a story about a mans dog fighting with a gator!! <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />

J :cool:
post #13 of 42
[quote]On the news ticker, sandwiched between news of the death of the Queen Mother and America's War Against Terror was a story about a mans dog fighting with a gator!! <hr></blockquote>

No wonder so many people like this channel.
post #14 of 42
All the news networks have those stupid, irritating news tickers on the bottom of the screen. But only one network has Bill O'Reilly. :cool:
Follow me on Twitter.
Reply
Follow me on Twitter.
Reply
post #15 of 42
[quote]All the news networks have those stupid, irritating news tickers on the bottom of the screen. But only one network has Bill O'Reilly.<hr></blockquote>

Just another reason to avoid the network like the plague.
post #16 of 42
They're not less biased, they're just more conservative.

That's OK. I watch it, and I even like and sneak peaks at O'Reilly until my wife yells at me to turn off the arrogant prick.

But you just have to wonder about a network that proclaims literally every few minutes that they're "fair and balanced" and "we report, you decide." They're really trying to convince us that they're unbiased - but they're not, they're just more conservative.

There was a study on FNC that showed about 90% of their "Special Report" news guests were Republicans, while CNN was closer to 50-50. So who is really fair and balanced?

O'Reilly apparently gets upset when anyone calls him what he is - a conservative. He is very representative of what FNC is - they say over and over how unbiased they are, but clearly they're just more conservative and more Republican than other news channels.

<a href="http://www.fair.org/press-releases/fox-release.html" target="_blank">Here's a take on FNC from a liberal media watchdog organization.</a>
post #17 of 42
Thread Starter 
I have no problem with most of their guests being Republican. In my OPINION, Republicans can see both sides of an issue better than Democrats. Of course this is just my experience, YOU DECIDE. O'Reilly does let people say their opinion and a large percentage of his guests are Democrats/liberals. The reason he treats them like shit and says "Ah no, you're way wrong here" is because they fail to provide reasoning for their argument, they just throw out their opinions without backing it up. If I did that on a paper for school, I would receive a bad grade and these people should receive no better treatment.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #18 of 42
I dont have cabe so I cant see Fox news but I can bum a peek at "The Corruption of the American Child" on Network TV. I thought it was funny!! Some stuff he could argue, like Insane Clown Posse is insane (well duh) and Pro-wrestling is a bad influence. But I loved to watch him ague with rappers and get the sh*t kicked out of him! He was trying to be that harsh conservative critic (like the stossel guy) and can't pull it off. He calmed he won in the end of course.
post #19 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:
<strong>I have no problem with most of their guests being Republican. In my OPINION, Republicans can see both sides of an issue better than Democrats.</strong><hr></blockquote>
<img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />
This is the essence of Fox News. You have stated it perfectly: The best way to be "fair and balanced" is to give the audience 90% Republicans.
<img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" />

But hey, it's a free market, and if its audience likes it, so be it.

They have golfer's channels, women's channels, children's channels, why not a Republican's channel?
post #20 of 42
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by BRussell:
<strong>
<img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />
This is the essence of Fox News. You have stated it perfectly: The best way to be "fair and balanced" is to give the audience 90% Republicans.
<img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" />

But hey, it's a free market, and if its audience likes it, so be it.

They have golfer's channels, women's channels, children's channels, why not a Republican's channel?</strong><hr></blockquote>

At least O'Reilly gives other people a CHANCE to give their side where the other networks are run by Democrats that give ONLY their views. So it IS more fair and balanced in comparison to the others.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #21 of 42
"Fair and Balanced" to FNC means that they're the conservative to the other news networks' *cough*MSNBC*cough* liberal.

They THEMSELVES aren't fair and balanced. Just because they bring a Republican and Democrat on together doesn't mean it's equal. The network usually *cough*always*cough* takes the side of the Republican.

But I like FNC. Really. <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />

EDIT: Shepard Smith is DA MAN!!!!

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #22 of 42
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:
<strong>"Fair and Balanced" to FNC means that they're the conservative to the other news networks' *cough*MSNBC*cough* liberal.

They THEMSELVES aren't fair and balanced. Just because they bring a Republican and Democrat on together doesn't mean it's equal. The network usually *cough*always*cough* takes the side of the Republican.

But I like FNC. Really. <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />

EDIT: Shepard Smith is DA MAN!!!!

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

My point is that they ARE MORE "fair and balanced" because they let the viewer know that there are actually two sides. Yes, the network usually does take the "conservative" side but by showing that there are TWO sides they do let the viewer decide for themselves more so than the other networks.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #23 of 42
I think Bill O'Reilly is really great. He's the ONLY interviewer I see who goes after the sacred cows and the things "we're not supposed to talk about" (Jesse Jackson, the Red Cross, celebrity activism, mental illness, etc.).

I mean, Larry King has always been a softball tossing idiot, but since O'Reilly has come along, King has never looked so inept, kiss-ass and out-of-his-league.

I respect O'Reilly quite a bit, because he's saying what most won't (or can't) and if some of you would open your ears a bit, you'll see that he's FAR from a "right wing flamethrower" or whatever. If O'Reilly is anything, it's a middle-class, blue collar populist type of ranter.

He seems less agitated at liberals than he does at greedy corporations, irresponsible citizens, weasel-esque lawyers and PR types, liars, cheaters, etc.

I mean, who can't get behind and agree with THAT?

He's savaged Enron and gaffes by the Bush administration (and has grilled McCain, Forbes, etc.) just as hard as he ever has any Democrat or left-leaning guest.

He's like me: he just hates liars, stupidity, spin, bullshit, people who sail through life unaccountable for their words/actions because of their politcal party/race/gender/social status, etc.

Open your ears a bit and give it a fair listen. You might be surprised.

And, he ALWAYS gives his guest the last word. Always.

And with some of the assholes who come on his show, he's kinder and more civil than I - or any of you - would probably be with them.

Cut him some slack. Most of you aren't watching him anyway, and you're only going by what you hear others say.

Ask Rosie O'Donnell what SHE thinks about him. They had a very open and civil interview on his show last week, and she was very candid in how she completely misread him and had a totally wrong perception of how he is and what he believes.

And they don't get any further anti-right wing than Ms. O'Donnell.

post #24 of 42
Besides, I just love it how people suddenly get this burning conscience about "fairness, accuracy and 'both sides'", when it comes to Fox News and their (gasp) possible conservative bent.

For 20 years, where were people screaming about Ted Turner's CNN and it's leanings and side-taking programming?

Just further evidence of the whole "conservative = book burning Nazi, liberal = annointed, kindhearted thinker" mentality far too many people seem to have branded into their brain.

post #25 of 42
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by pscates:
<strong>I think Bill O'Reilly is really great. He's the ONLY interviewer I see who goes after the sacred cows and the things "we're not supposed to talk about" (Jesse Jackson, the Red Cross, celebrity activism, mental illness, etc.).
I mean, Larry King has always been a softball tossing idiot, but since O'Reilly has come along, King has never looked so inept, kiss-ass and out-of-his-league.
I respect O'Reilly quite a bit, because he's saying what most won't (or can't) and if some of you would open your ears a bit, you'll see that he's FAR from a "right wing flamethrower" or whatever. If O'Reilly is anything, it's a middle-class, blue collar populist type of ranter.
He seems less agitated at liberals than he does at greedy corporations, irresponsible citizens, weasel-esque lawyers and PR types, liars, cheaters, etc.
I mean, who can't get behind and agree with THAT?
He's savaged Enron and gaffes by the Bush administration (and has grilled McCain, Forbes, etc.) just as hard as he ever has any Democrat or left-leaning guest.
He's like me: he just hates liars, stupidity, spin, bullshit, people who sail through life unaccountable for their words/actions because of their politcal party/race/gender/social status, etc.
Open your ears a bit and give it a fair listen. You might be surprised.
And, he ALWAYS gives his guest the last word. Always.
And with some of the assholes who come on his show, he's kinder and more civil than I - or any of you - would probably be with them.

Cut him some slack. Most of you aren't watching him anyway, and you're only going by what you hear others say.
Ask Rosie O'Donnell what SHE thinks about him. They had a very open and civil interview on his show last week, and she was very candid in how she completely misread him and had a totally wrong perception of how he is and what he believes.
And they don't get any further anti-right wing than Ms. O'Donnell.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

EXACTLY!!! You hit the nail RIGHT on the head!! I loved the way he talked to the Toyota CEO. Talking about how he was basically Jesse Jackson's bitch. Nobody else would dare get into that mess, but O'Reilly did and he made complete sense. People need to give this guy a chance before they bash him.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #26 of 42
Well crap, if Rosie O'Donnell says so then it must be true. <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
hey Pscates, let me guess, "Buchanan for President" ??
post #27 of 42
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by Gilsch:
<strong>Well crap, if Rosie O'Donnell says so then it must be true. <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
hey Pscates, let me guess, "Buchanan for President" ??</strong><hr></blockquote>

His point is that Rosie stated that she was a hardcore Democrat and all of her advisors beged her to NOT do the interview with O'Reilly buy she did it anyway and was surprised with him.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #28 of 42
[quote]I have no problem with most of their guests being Republican. In my OPINION, Republicans can see both sides of an issue better than Democrats. Of course this is just my experience, YOU DECIDE.<hr></blockquote>

Wait a minute, weren't you the one who said this:

[quote]Please don't turn this into a Demo. vs. Repub. thing<hr></blockquote>

Hypocrite.
What would Bill O'Reilly say?
post #29 of 42
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>

Hypocrite.
What would Bill O'Reilly say? </strong><hr></blockquote>

It was not I that turned it into this debate. I felt the need to defend myself
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #30 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by Gilsch:
<strong>Well crap, if Rosie O'Donnell says so then it must be true. <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
hey Pscates, let me guess, "Buchanan for President" ??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh, no...not hardly, smartass.
Let me guess, "jumps to stupid conclusions because you don't know me?".
<img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />

I made that Rosie comment because she has been extremely vocal in her beliefs and leanings, and would not seem like the kind of person who would like to go on O'Reilly's show. But she did, and she said HERSELF that she, in many way, had him pegged wrong.

THAT'S what I was referring to.

Jeez...
post #31 of 42
I don't have cable.

I'd like to watch it, though.

But, wasn't he the host of Inside Edition or Hard Copy? Those shows weren't very legitimate.
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Reply
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Reply
post #32 of 42
I like foxnews and especially O'Rielly although sometimes I don't agree with him, I like watching him debate. He's a maniac!

And do they HAVE to be labeled 'conservative'? How about 'non-liberal'?
post #33 of 42
[quote]And do they HAVE to be labeled 'conservative'? How about 'non-liberal'? <hr></blockquote>

How about we 'label' it what it really is? A joke.
post #34 of 42
Yeah well I think ultra liberals are just as humurous as ultra-conservatives. It's amazing how blindly one-sided some people can be. Every day I am more convinced that a 2 party system is a sham and the people getting cheated are the average American.
post #35 of 42
There are only two news programs I watch: The Lehrer Newshour on PBS and the O'Reilly Factor. I enjoy them both. The rest of the news/commentary on any channel is pure dung, IMO. My preferred daily sources are reading the LA Times and WSJ.

I really do miss the Paula Zahn show. She was really good on Fox until she left for CNN where they have her reporting news rather than having her own guest show.

matthew
post #36 of 42
I would have to say that the best news on TV really does come from the Newshour on PBS. It's too bad that they only have time for 3 or 4 big stories, but they always have the entire story, which makes it better than the other shows which barely scratch the surface.
post #37 of 42
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider:
<strong>Yeah well I think ultra liberals are just as humurous as ultra-conservatives. It's amazing how blindly one-sided some people can be. Every day I am more convinced that a 2 party system is a sham and the people getting cheated are the average American.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who's ultra conservative? O'Reilly, if you were talking about him is against the death penalty so he's not.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Reply
post #38 of 42
I was talking about people like Pat Robertson and Jesse Helms, not Billy O.
post #39 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by JRC:
<strong>
But, wasn't he the host of Inside Edition or Hard Copy? Those shows weren't very legitimate.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, if you look at the bios of many of FNC's talent, a good deal of them came from some "tabloid" news program. Whether that's a good/bad or legitimate/illegitimate thing is up to you.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #40 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:
<strong>Who's ultra conservative? O'Reilly, if you were talking about him is against the death penalty so he's not.</strong><hr></blockquote>Stop it. O'Reilly is a conservative. This is what cracks me up about his show - he gets so defensive if someone calls him what he is. Yet show after show, he has conservative opinions. Sure, everyone has small areas of disagreement - George Will, Pat Buchanan, Robert Novak, all have areas where they disagree. O'Reilly probably does too. But he's still a Republican, and a conservative.

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM BEING A CONSERVATIVE! He's a commentator and interviewer.

Hell, CNN had Buchanan and Novak as their primary political commentators for years, and they didn't try to pretend they weren't conservative.

Because I know all you Fox news fans like the "fair and balanced" approach, <a href="http://www.fair.org/extra/0108/oreilly.html" target="_blank">here's a contrarian article on O'Reilly.</a> I report, you decide.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The OFFICIAL AI Fox News/O'Reilly Factor thread