or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The OFFICIAL AI Fox News/O'Reilly Factor thread

The OFFICIAL AI Fox News/O'Reilly Factor thread - Page 2

post #41 of 42
[quote]Every day I am more convinced that a 2 party system is a sham and the people getting cheated are the average American.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, absolutely. But the two-party system is only the public presentation of what is really a one-party system with 2 facets. Ralph Nader hit it nicely when he said:

"the main difference between Republicans and Democrats is the relative velocity at which they sink to their knees when big business comes calling"

Re. O'Reilly; He is definitely skilled, but I do wish he would not constantly and arbitrarily interrupt those who are raising a point which is at odds with his philosophy/ideology. That tactic reminds me of that used by Nedra Ruiz (lawyer employed by defendants in the SF dog-mauling trial) on CNN's Crossfire recently. It was tedious and embarrassing in the extreme.

Re. Fox: Rupert Murdoch may be a "skilled businessperson", but as a human being he's barely left the starting block.

<a href="http://www.cjr.org/year/98/3/murdoch.asp" target="_blank">http://www.cjr.org/year/98/3/murdoch.asp</a>

Re. Media: Not 20 years ago, there were over 1000 media companies (independent newspapers, TV, radio, magazines etc) engaged in healthy competition. Today &gt;95% of the US (and world) media is in the hands of 6 massive transnational conglomerates. The FCC (in 1996 and again today) is paving the way for still greater consolidation, effectively silencing smaller outlets or those with non-mainsteam news and opinion. Murdoch is a major player in this scary scenario of the move from free enterprise in the media to rigid control by monopolistic dinosaurs, aided and abetted by federal laws sponsored by the parties these laws are designed to featherbed. This trend of straight-jacketing public awareness of current affairs by having media control in the hands of an immensly powerful and approved few reminds me of the old Soviet Union and its two approved news outlets, "Pravda" and "Izvestia". And the current and ongoing consolidation by giant media corporations is taking America down a similar route.
Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a...
Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a...
post #42 of 42
Re. O'Reilly; He is definitely skilled, but I do wish he would not constantly and arbitrarily interrupt those who are raising a point which is at odds with his philosophy/ideology.

I think we all can be accused of this. I do it especially when trying to prove a point.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The OFFICIAL AI Fox News/O'Reilly Factor thread