or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft CEO hopes to reenter phone market, disputes PC shift

Microsoft CEO hopes to reenter phone market, disputes PC shift - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ballmer said, "There may be a reason they call them Mack trucks. But Windows machines are not going be trucks," he insisted.

So that's where Eric Cantona is now, speechwriting for Ballmer.

Quote:

Asked if he thought Apple's iPad was a PC, Ballmer answered "Of course it is.

Ballmer also suggested that he attempted to use an iPad for taking notes at a meeting and implied that it was too slow to use.

Ballmer hammered home his PC centric views by saying, "to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Shh, children, wise people are talking.

Quote:

"The excellence in execution, I think, is a big part of innovation," Ballmer said.

Innovation is also a big part of innovation, not just grinding away with the marketing of whatever stuff is left on the workbench when the deadline is up.
post #42 of 94
Why, oh why, do they let this guy speak. The guy is in a fantasy land in his ivory tower and the tower is sinking into the sand.
post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Ballmer NO LIKE pad - Ballmer make CONFUSED by pad!!! It shiny pretty thing! Me not know how do shiny pretty thing work... Me SMASH! ME SMASH it!!!!!

Man, I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes.
post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post

Man, I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes.

What hurts is that you can actually SEE him doing it! Someone needs to make a GIF of his monkey-dance and graphically add hammers to his flailing hands and place iPads at random intervals along the stage...

(This would make a GREAT Flash ad! Oh, wait a minute...)
post #45 of 94
Man, ballmer has no vision at all. At least Gates had some vision and knew early on what was gonna be popular. He came up with a touch table at least. I feel like ballmer is just a figurehead who does not understand the industry and possibly has someone write his speeches for him. A little of script and he start yelling some random stuff.

Watch a video with Jobs, with Scmidt, with Gates, with Kevin Lynch even. They know what they are talking about. Then watch ballmer and you just see the incompetence. Now I don't know if he has a speach disability like Bush supposedly had, but its not very good for a CEO.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #46 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

The guy is in a fantasy land in his ivory tower and the tower is sinking into the sand.

Ivory tower???

Oh, no -- think more like a GIANT smoked sausage, planted into the sand and rising 1,000 feet above the surface. Ballmer has chewed a passage from the bottom to the top, where he resides in all that meaty by-producty goodness!!!

(Let's be honest: all the fat's clearly gone STRAIGHT to his sausage-addled brain.)

Microsoft is merely the bun around this colossal... Oh, I blush!!!
post #47 of 94
It's kind of sad to actually watch MS fall apart like this. I'm sure the board must know that MS can't succeed in the next gneration of computing with Ballmer yet no one has the guts to say it. They are going to wait until stock prices drop when shareholders dump they're stock and by then it'll be too late. The world will have moved on.

As it is now, the only real advantage MS has is Office. God forbid that monopoly ever falls apart, MS will truly be finished.
post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Now I don't know if he has a speach disability like Bush supposedly had, but its not very good for a CEO.

With Bush, whether someone liked him or not, he clearly had "trouble with the language." He would be speaking just fine, and then, all of a sudden -- out came a messed-up word or goofed-up phrase. Of course, he followed Clinton, who was one of the best speakers (read: speech-readers) ever to hold office, even if his style was typically boring. (Really, you could always tell that Clinton was reading; I think even Gore was more engaging at times.)

Imagine if Emeril Lagasse had trouble with his catchphrases: instead of saying, "BAM!" he would blurt out, "BLAM!" or "WHAM-O!" or "FLOWERS!!!" -- just not the same. Or instead of "Kick it up a notch!" he would yell, "Flick it in the Scotch!" or "Stick it in your crotch!" Much head-scratching would ensue. () And this is the kind of goofy crap that would happen with Bush. ()

With Ballmer, I generally CRINGE whenever I see that he's going to open his mouth and let forth an utterance. All-too-often, he basically just bores me to death, but he'll let out the occasional whopper that brings out the face-palm (make it a double!).
post #49 of 94
Quote:

Now I don't know if he has a speach disability like Bush supposedly had, but its not very good for a CEO.

Bush has a BRAIN disability.
post #50 of 94
If the iPad is slow then Windows must be excruciatingly slow.... I mean really! Why does he have to lie...nobody believes him anyway. He makes himself look more like an idiot by being in such denial.

Didn't Ballmer say back in 2007 he wasn't worried when asked about the iPhone and said he liked his strategy very well...hmmm, how's that strategy working, Ballmer.

You have to admit wether you like or hate Microsoft that this guy is not a good leader, visionary or a good example for Microsoft. I almost feel bad for Microsoft. Makes me wonder if Ballmer believes anything he says himself.....nahhhh, he's just a salesman in the shoes of a CEO leading the blind.
post #51 of 94
No vision.
post #52 of 94
Whenever a CEO speaks at an event, it's 100% PR. Only information for the public-at-large should be revealed, and there should be a mission, a message, a goal. The speaker should be well prepped by his PR department, investor relations, legal, etc. I didn't think Jobs was stellar, but Balmer was clearly caught off guard and I think this speaks to a lack of preparation, more than anything else. (Maybe he's been off guard for the past ten years!)

That being said, I think Walt missed the mark by focusing too much on Apple. The real battle for MSFT is with Google. Apple is "closed" hardware/software combo (I don't say that in any pejorative way. It's just that one manufacturer wont rule the world). Google is following MSFT's model: provide OS for multiple manufacturers. Unfortunately for Mr. Softie, they're GIVING it away. Just wait for Chrome OS. The real question for the monkey boy is "How do you compete with that?"
post #53 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

If the iPad is slow then Windows must be excruciatingly slow.... I mean really! Why does he have to lie...nobody believes him anyway. He makes himself look more like an idiot by being in such denial.

He's still looking for the START button.
post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusvector View Post

How is iPad slow in taking notes???? May be he was slow in typing or in thinking.....

Its running iPhone OS on a borrowed iPad (not his) and certainly can't run Windows 7...silly
iMac i7
iMac i7
post #55 of 94
We have to remember that in spite of Balmer's laughably incompetent antics, he still sits astride a cash cow that is good for at least another decade or more, depending on whether they continue with the current leadership and culture or not. The unholy 3: Windows for server (.NET, Exchange, Communicator, Sharepoint, etc.), Windows for Desktop and Office are fairly well insulated from the consumer market erosion by the huge installed base in corporate infrastructure. Windows Mobile will die a slow death as the old Windows CE/Mobile declines and the new Pink/Windows Phone 7 fails to reclaim any significant lost marketshare. Their entertainment division will continue to putter along with the current product line, making just enough revenue to keep it going.

But it is the 3 that keep Microsoft afloat. We are already seeing some executive bleedout, even as they try to ineffectually reorg. They are substantially damned by their culture and that is something no reorg can change. So while they shed talent, they cannot use the attractiveness of the once golden stock options to attract new talent, so they are forced to take lesser talent or pay much more for the talent they do attract. The 3 are all mature technologies - there is no where to go with them - nothing visionary to build, and development is lock-stepped with corporate restrictions and OEM platform decisions. Look at how HP and HTC have already developed a touch overlay to "assist" Windows in delivering a multitouch experience - and add overhead to the OS and CPU. It will take a decade or more to see any adverse impact to the 3, but it will come, because it is the natural cycle of things. And the harder you fight either the aging process (without providing a way to metamorphose your business for the next paradigm) the worse the end result is.
post #56 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ballmer: Mr Clueless

"There may be a reason they call them Mack trucks"

Umm yeah there is a reason. Mack is the name of the company that makes them.

You know that feeling of embarrassment you get from watching a really bad comedian? That's exactly how I felt reading that crap line.

Here's the problem with Ballmer.

In 2007 he mocked the iPhone only to be trounced by Apple with it. Now here he is saying PCs are going to stick around... something tells me he's going to be trounced again.
post #57 of 94
"If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail."

Which is exactly MS's *problem* - they believe the world is made of PCs and Word docs.
post #58 of 94
Mac is like Mack truck
nokia has nice phones.
we missed the boat, but we're in 5th place!

i fired a lot of people.
i don't know what a PC is.
i use a hammer to smash PC.

what they need is to focus on that big ass "surface"...
THAT's the future of computing... a Table.
post #59 of 94
Quote:

Ballmer NO LIKE pad - Ballmer make CONFUSED by pad!!! It shiny pretty thing! Me not know how do shiny pretty thing work... Me SMASH! ME SMASH it!!!!!)

HA! Awesome.
post #60 of 94
I think ballmer should quit is the best way to reenter the market
post #61 of 94
This guy is such a tool. It's almost sad to see him in charge of MS. Never been a fan of MS but I don't want to see him destroy the company either... haha

He reminds me of the Iraqi Information Minister during the Iraq war.
post #62 of 94
Sometimes I feel that watching Microsoft is like riding a ballistic missile on a high angle shot. It was so fun on the way up that it caused a whoopee.

Now the Missile is at the apex and lack of inertia plus the weightlessness (lack of direction) feels kinda weird. Suddenly the nose has tipped over and is facing down but it still does not feel that bad just that something might be wrong.

The trip down is going to cause a shower sparks and end very badly
post #63 of 94
Quote:

]Sometimes I feel that watching Microsoft is like riding a ballistic missile on a high angle shot.
The trip down is going to cause a shower sparks and end very badly

OK so everyone seems to think that MS is going down. So if true, the big question is who will step in to take its place as the dominant OEM OS vendor? Steve "control freak" Jobs will never license, and at the prices it charges Apple is never going to take over the world with its hardware. So Chrome OS could have a real chance to grab market share.
post #64 of 94
APPL should be happy to have him. When he retires, SELL!
post #65 of 94
Quote:

Asked if he thought Apple's iPad was a PC, Ballmer answered "Of course it is. It's a different form factor of PC." Ballmer also suggested that he attempted to use an iPad for taking notes at a meeting and implied that it was too slow to use.

At least its faster than Windows!!
post #66 of 94
There's one side of Mr B which stands out and that is he tends to ridicule what he really doesn't understand. He's holding it back a little in public - like in this video - but it's gotta be a HUGE problem internally at M$ where nothing holds him back, where he's the emperor. I can picture him with his puppet-boys overseeing a presentation of a prototype or a concept he can't grasp, makin faces and ridiculing, maybe turning the thing - if an object - awkwardly in his hands mockin it etc and thus belittling people working with a product/idea. This creates a negative climate and hampers futuristic bold ideas. I can't imagine this happening inside of Apple where critic certainly could be harsh at times but surely always constructive and to the point. SJ has this admirable quality of nailin the essential problem, of to the point analysis. Something mr B lacks as shown not just in this video but everywhere.
post #67 of 94
Quote:

Ballmer NO LIKE pad - Ballmer make CONFUSED by pad!!! It shiny pretty thing! Me not know how do shiny pretty thing work... Me SMASH! ME SMASH it!!!!!

Ballmer LIKE hammer -- HAMMER go BOOM BOOM! Ballmer know how do hammer work -- BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Ballmer SMASH pad with HAMMER!

(And then, he blesses us with a quote having the significance of dirt on sand: )

Ballmer exe-... exec-.... Me no like BIG word! Me no like phone people! Me SMASH phone people! Me get NEW phone people!!!

(Keep those lips a-flappin', oh great Dancin'-Sweatin'-Screamin' Howler-Monkey Boy!)

Funny stuff! -- please give us more Ballmer-speak every time he makes a statement.
post #68 of 94
A tech savvy CEO to jumpstart the company before it's too late.

If Balmer's answer to Walt Mosberg's Chrome/Android question does not get him fired, nothing will. The share holders will get screwed.

Here is funny clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w1jg...layer_embedded

ciao
post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusvector View Post

How is iPad slow in taking notes???? May be he was slow in typing or in thinking.....

That's one of the few correct things that he said. The iPad is excellent but the GUI/form-factor are non-optimal for some things, like typing. The fact that the iPad is still compelling shows how great it is for other reasons. It is great despite being relatively poor for text entry.

This post was typed on an iPad. It took me four or five times as long than it would have on a traditional computer. On the other hand, I'm still laying in bed.

But yeah, my opinion of Ballmer gets worse every time I see him speak. He'd be better off letting someone else do the public relations.
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Of course, individuals wouldn't be investing in Microsoft. It'd be clueless stock analysts, who (surprise) also manage our retirement funds Fortunately, my family got rid of paying our stock manager $2000 a month for doing nothing but losing money (and actually making a profit for himself using our funds) and we've been buying Apple stock ever since. Happy ending

Don't lose sight of diversification. A high-flying stock like Apple can go down 30% in a day.

If you are overweighted in any single stock, especially one that has gone way up, way fast, you are taking huge risks. Check your mutual funds, They too might have significant Apple stock in them.

If you want to set aside a certain portion for single stocks, that's fine. But unless you have at least 5 or from different sectors, your single stocks can add huge volitility.

Casual investors are often best off with a variety of mutual funds. That way they can diversify easily over various sectors. Too much money in tech is risky.
post #71 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

"If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail."

Which is exactly MS's *problem* - they believe the world is made of PCs and Word docs.

Actually, you are just as wrong as Ballmer:

He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail.
--Abraham Maslow

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
--Abraham Maslow

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems begin to resemble nails.
--Abraham Maslow
post #72 of 94
Embarrassing
post #73 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Actually, you are just as wrong as Ballmer:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
--Abraham Maslow

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems begin to resemble nails.
--Abraham Maslow

Actually, what jpellino wrote SAID exactly the same thing as these two quotes, only with a slight difference in wording. (It may not have been an exact quote, but the meaning was equal.) So he definitely was NOT was wrong as Ballmer!

Ballmer said "everything looks like a nail" -- problem or not, he's a-gonna take a hammer to it!

(We may as well cut off his hands and attach hammers - just make sure they're rubber and not metal... Then we can point him in the direction of Gojira or Gamera and film the "entertainment." )
post #74 of 94
"Windows machines will not be trucks,"
No, they will be Trabants.
post #75 of 94
"Ballmer hammered home his PC centric views by saying, "to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.""

So Ballmer is saying that everyone should use what Microsoft offers no matter what they need ... cause MS has the hammer...??

but Jobs is saying "the right tool for the right job". If you need a hammer, fine.. but what about a screw, or a wall hook, a paint brush, a spray gun.

Just a thought here but I just do not see Microsoft going anywhere as a company from here on. Their direction from the top is really flawed.

Just a thought,
en
post #76 of 94
"Mossberg asked Ballmer what he meant when using the phrase "we learned the value of excellent execution," to which Ballmer replied, "we missed a whole cycle."

----- Which means that everything he says is just CEO speak. It really means nothing. If you screw up, just say you screwed up. Hiding your error with great words means that you think someone else is the cause of your screw up and so you are going to keep on doing the same thing.

"And I think i've been quite public about the fact that I chose to make a set of leadership changes in the team of people building and executing on our Windows Phone software."

So all that stuff from the leaving VPs was just so much Microsoft BS???? And since Ballmer was the boss of these guys and he was not able to keep them on track doing their jobs.... not that Ballmer is leading the departments and has ABSOLUTELY NO skill in technology... things should get better???

Chairs will fly,,,,, I am telling you....... chairs will fly.!! :-)

Just a thought,
en
post #77 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Ballmer can't lead MS.
It is a company ran by a bunch of rich boys making sure they don't upset the apple cart and hurt their fortunes.

This is exactly it, these people are trying to maintain a money stream and do not understand risk, so much of what they do is to ensure wall street stays happen and the money keeps coming in. It has nothing to do with creating product people want.

As Jobs put it as long as apple continue to make great product that people want to buy apple will be successful and as soon as they do not the consumer will tell them by not buying anymore.
post #78 of 94
Quote:

Actually, what jpellino wrote SAID exactly the same thing as these two quotes, only with a slight difference in wording. (It may not have been an exact quote, but the meaning was equal.) So he definitely was NOT was wrong as Ballmer!

Ballmer said "everything looks like a nail" -- problem or not, he's a-gonna take a hammer to it!

(We may as well cut off his hands and attach hammers - just make sure they're rubber and not metal... Then we can point him in the direction of Gojira or Gamera and film the "entertainment." )

But you cut out the quote that SAID the same thing as Ballmer:

He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail.
--Abraham Maslow

Both Ballmer and the OP got the wording wrong.
post #79 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

but Jobs is saying "the right tool for the right job". If you need a hammer, fine.. but what about a screw, or a wall hook, a paint brush, a spray gun.

en

How many Mac owners even know the difference? Isn't that the whole point of owning an Apple product? That you never need to know much of anything to use it? Tools in the hands of a typical iPad owner? Please!

I own several different hammers. A tack hammer, a 16 ounce carpenter's hammer, a sledge, two different sized ball peens, probably others. I am a PC.
post #80 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

It is a company ran by a bunch of rich boys making sure they don't upset the apple cart and hurt their fortunes.

But is Steve Jobs not a rich man? How about the Senior VPs (or whatever they call them) at Apple? Are they not rich too?

Would those guys upset the apple cart and hurt Apple's stock price?

What the heck kind of a distinction are you trying to make here? All big multinational corporations are run in the manner you describe, by the people you describe, Apple included.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft CEO hopes to reenter phone market, disputes PC shift