or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Pages on iPad - a substitute for Word?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pages on iPad - a substitute for Word?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
If I buy an iPad my main motivation will be a lighter weight alternative to a Macbook, with which I can carry a separate bluetooth keyboard so I can separate screen and keyboard to avoid RSI (I problem I've already had). I only use my Macbook in essence for writing up in a library and would prefer a lightweight alternative, with some web browsing etc.

However, I'm mindful of the fact that Office is not available as an app and wonder how people have experience Pages. I find it frustrating on the Mac that is really a lite desktop publishing programme, or for page layout, without an obvious, easy word processor - ie. you have to set up text boxes on pages rather than a default to begin typing with flow onto other pages. If, as I am doing, you were to use it on the iPad to type up hundreds of pages of continuous prose can Pages on the iPad be easily configured for this or will it be a hassle?
post #2 of 6
Thread Starter 
Ok, I saw an iPad for the first time today at the Apple Store and was impressed and feel I could use for Pages for what I need. However, at present I have my Disk set up to sync automatically on both my Macbook and iMac so I can always access the most recent file versions with ease. I asked the guy in the Apple Store whether I can save to iDisk from my iPad and still sync between them, thus accessing the most recent version at home or the edited home version through iDisk on the iPad. He said yes. However, none of the reports in Macworld seem to suggest this. Anyone out there got one and able to enlighten me on how or if iDisk works on the iPad?
post #3 of 6
I don't have any experience of Pages on the iPad, however with the most recent Mac version, when you start it up you get an option for a page layout mode or word processing mode - might help!
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I find it frustrating on the Mac that is really a lite desktop publishing programme, or for page layout, without an obvious, easy word processor - ie. you have to set up text boxes on pages rather than a default to begin typing with flow onto other pages.

You should really give Pages on the Mac another try, because the current version does not at all work like that anymore.... I use it to write scientific articles all day long and find it a way more usable word processor than word...
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

Ok, I saw an iPad for the first time today at the Apple Store and was impressed and feel I could use for Pages for what I need. However, at present I have my Disk set up to sync automatically on both my Macbook and iMac so I can always access the most recent file versions with ease. I asked the guy in the Apple Store whether I can save to iDisk from my iPad and still sync between them, thus accessing the most recent version at home or the edited home version through iDisk on the iPad. He said yes. However, none of the reports in Macworld seem to suggest this. Anyone out there got one and able to enlighten me on how or if iDisk works on the iPad?

I'm not sure why the person at the Apple Store would tell you that you can save to iDisk from the iPad, because you can't. The only sharing options you have on Pages for the iPad are: e-mail, iWork.com, and export. All documents created on the iPad are only available for syncing via iTunes. He might have been thinking about iWork.com, which is similar to iDisk in that documents saved there can be downloaded by anyone with access.

Keep in mind too that Apple has not yet released a version of iDisk for the iPad. The iPhone version works, but does so exactly as on the iPhone.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

If I buy an iPad my main motivation will be a lighter weight alternative to a Macbook, with which I can carry a separate bluetooth keyboard so I can separate screen and keyboard to avoid RSI (I problem I've already had). I only use my Macbook in essence for writing up in a library and would prefer a lightweight alternative, with some web browsing etc.

However, I'm mindful of the fact that Office is not available as an app and wonder how people have experience Pages. I find it frustrating on the Mac that is really a lite desktop publishing programme, or for page layout, without an obvious, easy word processor - ie. you have to set up text boxes on pages rather than a default to begin typing with flow onto other pages. If, as I am doing, you were to use it on the iPad to type up hundreds of pages of continuous prose can Pages on the iPad be easily configured for this or will it be a hassle?

Your motivation and mine are the same; my Macbook Air has been gathering dust since I bought my iPad on release day.

Regarding Pages, I have used it to type several letters and have been pleased with the ability to do basic formatting, cut and paste and integrate graphics from the photo library. That being said, it is no substitute for Pages on the Mac with respect to advanced formatting. While most things can be done on Pages for iPad, the touch interface actually slows me down when compared to the desktop version. So the typical mode in which I operate is to create the text within Pages for iPad, and then formatting in Pages for Mac. To me this is very acceptable, as iPad does not support printing, making a stop on the Mac necessary anyways.

Pages '09 is a fantastic Word Processor. I wouldn't let your earlier experience with the first or even second version bias you too much against trying the 2009 version.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Pages on iPad - a substitute for Word?