or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iSuppli: Apple was only US PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iSuppli: Apple was only US PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
The greatest growth in the PC industry in the first quarter of 2010 came from overseas computer manufacturers, with one exception in the U.S.: Apple.

Mac shipments increased 32.4 percent year-over-year in the first three months of 2010, hitting 2.8 million worldwide iSuppli said Friday. That was well beyond the industry-wide growth of 22.7 percent in the same time period -- the largest year-over-year growth in a quarter ever tracked by iSuppli.

iSuppli's tracking measures lower than Apple's reported sales of 2.94 million Macs for the three-month period ending March 27.

"Apples Macintosh line is benefitting from the halo effect of the enormous popularity of its iPhones and iPads," said Matthew Wilkins, principal analyst for computer platforms at iSuppli.

In comparison, the numbers show the largest U.S.-based PC makers couldn't keep pace with the rest of the industry in terms of growth. HP, still the top worldwide computer maker shipping 15.9 million units, saw 22.2 percent growth, while Dell, coming in at No. 3 globally with 10.6 million PC shipped, grew 21.8 percent.

Apple helped to skew the industry-wide totals higher along with a number of overseas manufacturers. Acer was the No. 2 overall PC maker, shipping 10.8 million units and riding 47.1 percent year-over-year growth. In fourth was Dell, increasing 58.5 percent, in fifth Toshiba with 31.2 percent, and in sixth Asus growing 136.2 percent.



Industry growth in the first quarter, iSuppli said, was lead by "surprisingly strong" notebook sales. The desktop shipments grew by a small 1 percent -- the first time they saw year-over-year growth since the second quarter of 2008. iSuppli expects to see unit shipment growth of 17 percent in all of 2010.

"The first three months of 2010 delivered the highest quarterly PC shipment growth on a year-over-year basis since iSuppli began tracking the market in 2003," Wilkins said. "This record growth resulted from strong sales in the first quarter of 2010 combined with weak conditions during the first three months of 2009.

"Early 2009 represented one of the weakest periods in the history of the PC market, as consumer and corporate demand plunged due to the economic downturn. With economic conditions improving, PC sales rebounded in early 2010."
post #2 of 20
I think this would be awesome if Apple actually manufactured in the US. Apple is basically a foreign company with a US Headquarters/R&D these days.
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I think this would be awesome if Apple actually manufactured in the US. Apple is basically a foreign company with a US Headquarters/R&D these days.

Actually, all tech companies in the US operate this way also.
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac shipments increased 32.4 percent year-over-year in the first three months of 2010, hitting 2.8 million worldwide iSuppli said Friday. That was well beyond the industry-wide growth of 22.7 percent in the same time period -- the largest year-over-year growth in a quarter ever tracked by iSuppli.

Everyone is doing well. Looks like the economy is rebounding after all.

Quote:
iSuppli's tracking measures lower than Apple's reported sales of 2.94 million Macs for the three-month period ending March 27.

That makes it a 40% YoY increase. This fine for only looking at Apple, but compared to the industry it's a different story. HP increased unit sales YoY more than Apple sold in the quarter.

However, if we compare profit, unarguably the most important aspect of business to these companies, Apple is still in the lead and likely increasing.

Quote:
"Apples Macintosh line is benefitting from the halo effect of the enormous popularity of its iPhones and iPads," said Matthew Wilkins, principal analyst for computer platforms at iSuppli.

I'm sure they are, but considering that the iPad didn't ship until April this statement may not have been regarding Q1.

Quote:
Apple helped to skew the industry-wide totals higher along with a number of overseas manufacturers. Acer was the No. 2 overall PC maker, shipping 10.8 million units and riding 47.1 percent year-over-year growth. In fourth was Dell, increasing 58.5 percent, in fifth Toshiba with 31.2 percent, and in sixth Asus growing 136.2 percent.

Congrats to Asus. If I had to choose a non-Mac PC they'd be my first choice.

Quote:
The desktop shipments grew by a small 1 percent -- the first time they saw year-over-year growth since the second quarter of 2008.

I'm curious to see if the iPad (and other "me too" tablets) will help surge desktop sales even more in the coming quarters.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I think this would be awesome if Apple actually manufactured in the US. Apple is basically a foreign company with a US Headquarters/R&D these days.

Awesome except for price point. And even if they did "build" Macs in the US they'd still be using components that were all manufactured outside the US.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 20
Unit sales are not near as relevant as dollar sales, yet everytime I see one of these reports its units. What I want to know is how much is spent in the industry and how big is everyones pie.
post #6 of 20
When 'Others' decrease from 25,346 to 25,239 and it's called a +10.6% growth I question the numbers...
post #7 of 20
Obviously this is due to us fanboys. At only 8%, I wonder how is it we are capable of such a feat.

Yeah, clearly it's the fanboys.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Unit sales are not near as relevant as dollar sales, yet everytime I see one of these reports its units. What I want to know is how much is spent in the industry and how big is everyones pie.

The last chart I saw had Apple taking 1/3 of the industry's PC profits.
http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...vendors-2010-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevc View Post

When 'Others' decrease from 25,346 to 25,239 and it's called a +10.6% growth I question the numbers...

Nice catch. Looks like a decline of 0.004%
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 20
Most computers are basically commodities when it comes down to it. Companies like ASUS don't need the expense of US-based R&D and headquarters, they'll probably have a local branch here, just for distribution and managing retail contacts, but nothing like what Dell & HP have here, even if they have some off-shored engineering.
post #10 of 20
iSuppli: Apple was only non-Asian PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010
iSuppli: Apple was only Cupertino-based PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010
iSuppli: Apple still has a tiny share of the market in Q1 2010
iSuppli: Apple was only Silicon Valley-based PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010
iSuppli: PC unit share is totally meaningless metric, but we will report it anyway
iSuppli: Asian PC makers crush Apple in Q1 2010

And, YES, I am an Apple fanboy.
post #11 of 20
Quick, somebody mail this article to Steve Jobs so maybe he'll remember his company also makes computers.

Ah, WWDC starts tomorrow with no Mac design awards....
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I think this would be awesome if Apple actually manufactured in the US. Apple is basically a foreign company with a US Headquarters/R&D these days.

Many US companies or for that matter from EU or elsewhere who makes use of a 3rd country/ies to built their products thru' out sourcing, like Apple. Apple (not only them) originally has their own factories in many countries, including US of course, but due to out sourcing (you can blame the out source for their cheap labor) these subsidiaries had to close one by one. Who to blame - its a vicious cycle where consumers want cheaper prices and producers have to cut their manufacturing cost. So .....
iMac i7
Reply
iMac i7
Reply
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I think this would be awesome if Apple actually manufactured in the US. Apple is basically a foreign company with a US Headquarters/R&D these days.

So what. You say it like it's a revelation. No one manufactures PCs in the US. Apple is the ONLY PC maker (read motherboard designer) that 100% designs in the US. Everyone else has shifted design over to Asia. The fact that they're growing in spite of the global shift is pretty amazing.

You have to be able to appreciate a company that keeps its design resources in US, unlike all of the other companies on the list.

To Asus and Acer's credit they have been designing very well for the past few years and have been aggressively expanding their brand.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post


And, YES, I am an Apple fanboy.

And so many others... like myself
post #15 of 20
Yeah these numbers are pretty meaningless. What percentage of all of these units are the worthless little netbooks? How many are the Walmart bottom of the barrel PC's. Its like the local hardware store comparing the sail of grass shears vs. lawn mowers. As mentioned before, revenue and profit are for more important. On top of that I wonder how many of them have a war chest of 40 billion like Apple. I really don't think Apple cares if it dominates the market in numbers, it does that in technology. They provide the best consistent user experience for their customers and great returns for their investors.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran00 View Post

So what. You say it like it's a revelation. No one manufactures PCs in the US. Apple is the ONLY PC maker (read motherboard designer) that 100% designs in the US. Everyone else has shifted design over to Asia. The fact that they're growing in spite of the global shift is pretty amazing.

More importantly, at least to me, Apple's SUPPORT is done in the U.S., at least for U.S. customers. I get so fed up with trying to get support on a product from someone who barely speaks English.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Unit sales are not near as relevant as dollar sales, yet everytime I see one of these reports its units. What I want to know is how much is spent in the industry and how big is everyones pie.

That's a financial analysis. There are forums for that.


Unit sales are much more interesting and relevant to consumers and to developers.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

iSuppli: Apple was only non-Asian PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010
iSuppli: Apple was only Cupertino-based PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010
iSuppli: Apple still has a tiny share of the market in Q1 2010
iSuppli: Apple was only Silicon Valley-based PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010
iSuppli: PC unit share is totally meaningless metric, but we will report it anyway
iSuppli: Asian PC makers crush Apple in Q1 2010

And, YES, I am an Apple fanboy.


One thing that needs to be pointed out is that percentage increases of small numbers yield small numbers. And impressive percentage gains are used to hide small absolute gains. That is what is happening with Android, eh?
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

Yeah these numbers are pretty meaningless. What percentage of all of these units are the worthless little netbooks? How many are the Walmart bottom of the barrel PC's. .


If you don't know the answers to these questions, how do you come to the firm conclusion that the numbers are meaningless?

ISTM that the numbers are extremely important for certain purposes. For example, if you are a dev thinking about developing for Macs. If you look at unit sales, you can use that to aid your estimation of addressable market. You could look at the numbers of Macs in the wild, and how fast they are penetrating the market. And decide whether to develop for 98% of the computers out there, or develop for Mac.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
In fourth was Dell, increasing 58.5 percent

Err, Lenovo is fourth, Dell is third.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iSuppli: Apple was only US PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010