or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google Music planned as iTunes for Android, may kill DoubleTwist
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Music planned as iTunes for Android, may kill DoubleTwist

post #1 of 95
Thread Starter 
Google plans to create a music service for Android that will finally allow its users to download media directly from their phones, similar to the Wi-Fi iTunes Apple launched in 2007.

Google's service, expected to be named Google Music (based on a logo TechCrunch discovered on the company's website), will be a web-based service that allows downloads of music and Android apps.

Google gave a brief preview of the service at its I/O event, where it also announced having acquired Simplify Media. That product will be used to deliver a desktop app that can wirelessly stream local music to Android devices.

Third party iTunes alternatives for Android

Google's efforts to match Apple's iTunes features integrated into its iPhone OS may stomp out the emerging third party solutions to the feature gap on Android, including the desktop and mobile apps created by DoubleTwist that already serve as an iTunes alternative for Android.

DoubleTwist was founded by "DVD Jon" Lech Johansen originally as a product to defeat iTunes' DRM in order to sync protected media to alternative media players, smartphones, and other devices such as the Sony PSP.

More recently, the application has evolved into an iTunes alternative for Android users who currently have no way to browse for apps outside of the very limited web page Google provides for its Android Market, which lacks even the basic capacity to search for software titles.

DoubleTwist also acts as an iTunes alternative for syncing music and media from a desktop PC to Android phones, another standard component entirely missing from Google's mobile platform.

DoubleTwist has also delivered an Android app that serves as a media player to replace the Google-supplied music player commonly derided as "something of a joke in the smartphone world," according to a report by Fast Company, which noted a variety of other third party alternatives to Google's music player, including bTunes, MixZing, Cubed, and TuneWiki.

Death for DoubleTwist?

There are some significant missing features in both DoubleTwist's existing and Google's planned apps, and no combination of apps for Android provide the seamless, consistent and refined experience of Apple's combination of iTunes on the desktop and its iPod, iTunes, and App Store iPhone OS apps for its mobile devices.

Still, it will be interesting to see how Android's music playback, media sync and software distribution evolve as Google rolls its own solutions for the platform in competition with the diverse group of competing third party alternative players, media sync tools and app store browsers.

While Google is unlikely to block apps that overlap its own functionality (as Apple has in its own App Store), the delivery of a standard player, streaming service, and software interface for Android by Google would likely erase the prospects of third party developers like DoubleTwist, much as Apple has been criticized for in its introduction of Mac OS X services such as Sherlock 3 (competing against Watson) Dashboard widgets (competing with Konfabulator).
post #2 of 95
Interesting.

Why doesn't Apple simply offer an iTunes app for Android (minus the apps)? Could be a good incremental revenue generator.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting.

Why doesn't Apple simply offer an iTunes app for Android (minus the apps)? Could be a good incremental revenue generator.

If itunes for windows is any indication, Apple's really not good at developing things for other platforms

Also iTMS is there to support the iPods, iPhones etc.. not exactly a "main event" for apple.
post #4 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google plans to create a music service for Android that will finally allow its users to download media directly from their phones, similar to the Wi-Fi iTunes Apple launched in 2007.

"More data, more data," the beast cried. And then we fed him music, and yet still he demanded, "more data, more data!"

Google sucks up your privacy, monetises it and sells it to the highest bidder so they can convince you to buy things you neither want nor need.
post #5 of 95
Hope all this competition leads to lower prices.
post #6 of 95
Google is trying to undermine Apple's cloud announcements next week.

It won't work.

Time will tell.
post #7 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting.

Why doesn't Apple simply offer an iTunes app for Android (minus the apps)? Could be a good incremental revenue generator.

As long as Apple has significant market share (and in smart phones, they do) and a healthy lead in platform (and in iPhone OS ecosystem, they do) I don't think it behooves them to make another platform so capable (in spite of the extra revenue they could score).

The only reason Apple made iTunes for Windows is because they HAD to in order to successfully sell the iPod to the Windows-using masses. Otherwise, the iPod would have been relegated to the 4% Apple fanboys (like me) and that would have killed any prospects it had of going ballistic, as it did. It was the ultimate Trojan Horse, causing some switchers via its Halo effect.

The situation is totally different with iPhone vs Android. I don't believe that you'll see ANY Apple software on a competing smartphone platform unless from desperation.

Thompson
post #8 of 95
With all the Apple bashing at Google it seems that they are trying to replicate some of that walled garden approach that apple has to their platform.

Google shipped out Nexus One because no one could really build a good android phone. That started the HTC - Google partnership, which essentially delivered the hottest android phones to date. This be the hardware - software integration.

Now Google is hiring a UI expert to synchronize the UI for their phones - another form of integration.

With Spotify Google is building a music store (because no one has made a good one so far) another form of integration.

Google is moving more and more to controlled app eco-system, forcing its hardware suppliers to adhere to strict rules, tight collaboration with HTC, new music service so on. This is somthing microsoft tried to do:
1. It was the open plays for sure partner.
2. It became Microsoft only - Windows only Zune.

I think google might face a similar dilema in the future, and it will be interesting to see which way they will go.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #9 of 95
I think double twist is save for the moment, still needs to improve speed but offers an experience and functionality close to iTunes on the desktop. No cloud service can match software in your computer.
post #10 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Google is trying to undermine Apple's cloud announcements next week.

It won't work.

Time will tell.

Gruber, a pretty smart dude, says apple doesn't do lost leaders. So I wouldn't hold my breath on the cloud announcement.
post #11 of 95
Apple last week has slay one of the tech beast now with the battle experience and good tactical approach im sure apple would always be the winner.

with battle scars from 3 decades of fights with M$ it time to show the Google- that this vet has some bite. Apple back is broad and strong and as Steve said they been beaten up before.

they sat on apple board and saw and steal now they wage a war to buy up all the start ups and think that is the way to be innovative.


they are jut SCARED SHIT LESS ABOUT THE WHATS UP OUT OF THE OLD MAGICIAN SLEEVES NEXT WEEK

I'm so serious im gonna cancel my gmail account and get a mobileme account

screw the openness and the data sucking reselling mentality
Goolgle is the wolf under the open sheep
post #12 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

The only reason Apple made iTunes for Windows is because they HAD to in order to successfully sell the iPod to the Windows-using masses. Otherwise, the iPod would have been relegated to the 4% Apple fanboys (like me) and that would have killed any prospects it had of going ballistic, as it did. It was the ultimate Trojan Horse, causing some switchers via its Halo effect. Thompson

That's how I became a switcher.
post #13 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

Apple last week has slay one of the tech beast now with the battle experience and good tactical approach im sure apple would always be the winner.

with battle scars from 3 decades of fights with M$ it time to show the Google- that this vet has some bite. Apple back is broad and strong and as Steve said they been beaten up before.

they sat on apple board and saw and steal now they wage a war to buy up all the start ups and think that is the way to be innovative.


they are jut SCARED SHIT LESS ABOUT THE WHATS UP OUT OF THE OLD MAGICIAN SLEEVES NEXT WEEK

I'm so serious im gonna cancel my gmail account and get a mobileme account

screw the openness and the data sucking reselling mentality
Goolgle is the wolf under the open sheep

I agree with you whole heartedly. But Apple's doing it now and Google's doing it to itself. Trolls here claim that Google's market share will trump Apple, but really what did that get Microsoft? Google doesn't have a unified platform and they're shooting their wad all over the place trying to see what will stick. They should stick to search and advertising. They're going to kill their own golden egg.
post #14 of 95
I'm surprised no one has responded with the typical "my phone has had this feature for years."

Maybe that card is only played against Apple.\

No offense, Asianbob.
post #15 of 95
I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple. Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...
post #16 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple. Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...

I appreciate when companies are not afraid to go into uncharted territory. Take risks. Be bold. Display your intellectual prowess. It's saddening to see just how many phones have imitated the iPhone. They have simply replicated the iPhone while expanding on features and specs yet to be introduced. When the iPhone was released, there was nothing like it - now they're all variations of the same phone.

I dunno, I guess I just want to see a different class/category of phones. Apparently, Apple hasn't shown the world how to make one yet.
post #17 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Gruber, a pretty smart dude, says apple doesn't do lost leaders. So I wouldn't hold my breath on the cloud announcement.

I think you mean loss leaders. Unless you are referring to Ballmer, in which case you are correct in all sorts of ways.
post #18 of 95
Is this Google Insider now or just another attempt by AI to fan the fanboy flames?

AI, if you guys are going to start writing about Android, how about actually getting a few Android phones and playing with them?

The stock player (say on the Nexus One) doesn't suck. It's just not as full featured as an iTouch. It's more in line with say the music player you'd find on a Sony Ericsson Music phone. But because it's Android you have choice. You can get a phone which has good music features (like the Sony Ericsson X10's Mediascape) or you can download another music player (notice how Google does not prohibit duplication of existing functions). Only an Apple fan site, would consider such choice a bad thing.

And it's not just DoubleTwist that might get hurt. The bigger damage would to be to the Amazon mp3 store, which has an app that comes stock on most Android phones.
post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroll View Post

I think you mean loss leaders. Unless you are referring to Ballmer, in which case you are correct in all sorts of ways.

thanks got a chuckle out of that. i did mean loss leaders. not anything to do with monkey boy.
post #20 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting.

Why doesn't Apple simply offer an iTunes app for Android (minus the apps)? Could be a good incremental revenue generator.

They could simply allow iTunes to be compatible with devices other than iPods. Of course, that wouldn't be in their interest as a hardware OEM.
post #21 of 95
I'm actually very surprised that Google hasn't bought DoubleTwist yet and will assume that they are considering it very seriously at this point. They've bought other companies for less, and this one could actually provide excellent value in IP and products with a very quick turnaround for implementation in Android.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #22 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

With all the Apple bashing at Google it seems that they are trying to replicate some of that walled garden approach that apple has to their platform.

What walled garden? Google let's you install what you want on your Android device. Even if they offer a service, they don't ban competitors. Did you read the article at all? It says that right in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Google shipped out Nexus One because no one could really build a good android phone. That started the HTC - Google partnership, which essentially delivered the hottest android phones to date. This be the hardware - software integration.

They did the Nexus One for many reasons. Chief among them is because nobody had built a stock Android phone in a long time. This was extremely important for developers. There certainly were decent phones in the pipeline when the Nexus One was announced...unless you believe that companies can whip out a phone like the EVO or Droid Incredible in months and retool their production line and start selling them just like that. Not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Google is moving more and more to controlled app eco-system, forcing its hardware suppliers to adhere to strict rules, tight collaboration with HTC, new music service so on. This is something microsoft tried to do:
1. It was the open plays for sure partner.
2. It became Microsoft only - Windows only Zune.

I think google might face a similar dilema in the future, and it will be interesting to see which way they will go.

If that's what you think then you have no understanding of what Google is trying to do with Android. They worked with HTC on one handset. It's long been rumoured they'll be working with Motorola on the Nexus Two. So they aren't just about HTC.

Next, there is zero evidence to back up your assertion that they are moving to a more controlled app eco-system. Maybe they should. But as of right now they don't even review apps unless users complain about them.

And forcing hardware supplies to adhere to strict rules? Where'd ya get that? They set recommended specs for each OS version. Just like you would on a computer. They don't have any rules specifying that they will not allow their OS on a dated hardware spec. Windows Phone 7 has these rules. Android doesn't. Competition works. If an Android OEM releases out of date hardware, their handset would get killed in the market. Google doesn't need to set standards.
post #23 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple.

Can you show me where they copied Navigation, Maps, visual search (Google Goggles) from Apple? Can you point me to the Apple version of Google Earth or Sky Maps? How about Google News or Google Finance? Where's the Apple equivalent of those? How about multi-tasking or turning your phone into a wifi hotspot? Heck, how about basic things like the notification blind and desktop/home screen? Which iPhone OS version did Google rip those from? This whole copying Apple bit is getting tiresome. Just because you say it over and over again doesn't make it true.

At this point, basically it's copying if somebody decides to compete with Apple? Gimme a break. Do you consider a new sports apparel maker to be 'copying' simply because they set up shop across from the Nike store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I
Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...

It's called MobileMe. And it's a flop....or should I say 'hobby'. Unsurprisingly, for all those that cry about privacy on here, it turns out that in the real world most people don't care enough to pay for such services.
post #24 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post


I'm so serious im gonna cancel my gmail account and get a mobileme account...

Make sure you don't go near Google News, Google Finance, Picassa, youtube or Google Maps either.
post #25 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple. Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...

you mean iWork
post #26 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

What walled garden? Google let's you install what you want on your Android device. Even if they offer a service, they don't ban competitors. Did you read the article at all? It says that right in the article.

Apple doesn't ban competitors from the app store either.
There are iBooks competitor in the app store.
There are iTunes competitor in the app store.

They do ban some apps, but being their competition never the core reason.
post #27 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post


It's called MobileMe. And it's a flop....or should I say 'hobby'. Unsurprisingly, for all those that cry about privacy on here, it turns out that in the real world most people don't care enough to pay for such services.

I wouldn't call google docs a success. terrible UI. microsoft is eating their lunch and they charge a heck of a lot more for the service.
post #28 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if Google actually introduced a new, innovative product instead of simply copying Apple. Maybe Apple should launch an online applications suite, and call it 'Apple Docs'...

Apple did copy Google, it's called iworks.com.
post #29 of 95
why didn't they call it gTunes?
post #30 of 95
My early impressions that online apps were inadequate compared to desktop apps has not changed.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #31 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

What walled garden? Google let's you install what you want on your Android device. Even if they offer a service, they don't ban competitors. Did you read the article at all? It says that right in the article.

This is spooky though ... from WSJ today.

Quote:
"Unlike Apple or BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd., Google doesn't have employees dedicated to vetting applications submitted to its Android store. Google said it removes apps that violate its policies, but largely relies on users to alert it to bad software. "We check reactively," said a Google spokesman. "There is no manual bottleneck."

The article was in context to a bank app available at google store that they had to pull (yes google pulls app from their store too--but the alt press doesn't get hissy about it). Evidently it was a bank app that would have had potential to take some finance data from users. Article also shows and iphone developer was grabbing contact info from phones, but apple found out about and kicked them off. So apple let's some bad ones squeak by, but at least they are trying to stop the madness.

Bottom line, I want the security of that "walled garden". I love it that apple employee spends time to examine every app before it hits the store. This gives me peace of mind that virtually every app is virus free and cannot grab my personal data.
post #32 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Apple doesn't ban competitors from the app store either.
There are iBooks competitor in the app store.
There are iTunes competitor in the app store.

They do ban some apps, but being their competition never the core reason.

Except Google doesn't ban anything unless it's malicious. Android even let's you duplicate existing functionality. Can you imagine Google doing to Android developers what Apple just did to dashboard/widget apps makers?
post #33 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post


Bottom line, I want the security of that "walled garden". I love it that apple employee spends time to examine every app before it hits the store. This gives me peace of mind that virtually every app is virus free and cannot grab my personal data.

That's fine. Too each their own. In a few months, I'll have the security of the walled garden on my iPad and the freedom to install what I want on my Nexus One.

However, I was responding to the ridiculous charge made by the other poster that Google is moving to the "walled garden" approach. Nothing could be further from the truth.
post #34 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

As long as Apple has significant market share (and in smart phones, they do) and a healthy lead in platform (and in iPhone OS ecosystem, they do) I don't think it behooves them to make another platform so capable (in spite of the extra revenue they could score).

The only reason Apple made iTunes for Windows is because they HAD to in order to successfully sell the iPod to the Windows-using masses. Otherwise, the iPod would have been relegated to the 4% Apple fanboys (like me) and that would have killed any prospects it had of going ballistic, as it did. It was the ultimate Trojan Horse, causing some switchers via its Halo effect.

The situation is totally different with iPhone vs Android. I don't believe that you'll see ANY Apple software on a competing smartphone platform unless from desperation.

Thompson

Well, maybe the rumored iTunes in the Cloud will be part of that, huh? Remember, Android does not hook up with iTunes.
post #35 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I wouldn't call google docs a success. terrible UI. microsoft is eating their lunch and they charge a heck of a lot more for the service.

It may be the best (and you can best the Google gnomes are working at making it better) but it was certainly far more innovative than MobileMe. Anyway, I got the correlation wrong. It's iWorks that's a Google Docs competitor. MobileMe is more a competitor to GMail and Picassa.
post #36 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Except Google doesn't ban anything unless it's malicious. Android even let's you duplicate existing functionality. Can you imagine Google doing to Android developers what Apple just did to dashboard/widget apps makers?

So Google's just an old, tired whore who takes all customers, huh?
post #37 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Apple did copy Google, it's called iworks.com.

Google owns the web?
post #38 of 95
I find it dumb how people think Google is "evil" for collecting data. Everything you use on Google is usually free. And things you type into Google, might be used to better target Ads for you. However no human is ever going to read the data, and even if they did, its all anonymous data so they would have no idea who's data it was. And the only reason Google does this is to make money, so they can provide the service for free.

So lets cut the crap about security, your free to use other competitors for $$ that don't use your data for ads. You get access to Google's great services for free. And if you think other free services (like bing) don't collect any data, your naive. You only hate on Google because they compete with Apple is some areas of the market. But remember if Google never made android, Apple would never feel any pressure and the iPhone 4 would most likely suck ass. Now it looks like its going to kick ass. Google making great phones is good for Apple customers, its good for everyone.

And you say stay away from Google services, yet there is nothing that even comes close to replacing them. Same thing with with Flash, people says its slow, buggy, compared to what? Nothing comes close. Silverlight? You got to be joking... You know they feel the pressure when Apple fans are suggesting Microsoft's products as solutions... LOL Lets get real here...
post #39 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

why didn't they call it gTunes?

I rather have them call it the GSpot.
post #40 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

With all the Apple bashing at Google it seems that they are trying to replicate some of that walled garden approach that apple has to their platform.

Google shipped out Nexus One because no one could really build a good android phone. That started the HTC - Google partnership, which essentially delivered the hottest android phones to date. This be the hardware - software integration.

Now Google is hiring a UI expert to synchronize the UI for their phones - another form of integration.

With Spotify Google is building a music store (because no one has made a good one so far) another form of integration.

Google is moving more and more to controlled app eco-system, forcing its hardware suppliers to adhere to strict rules, tight collaboration with HTC, new music service so on. This is somthing microsoft tried to do:
1. It was the open plays for sure partner.
2. It became Microsoft only - Windows only Zune.

I think google might face a similar dilema in the future, and it will be interesting to see which way they will go.

In all of the Google worshipping that's going on, the model they bring is Windows' climb to near monopoly. I'm not denying that possibility for Google, since they're pretty close to a monopoly on search and advertising, and there are likely enough hardware makers to flood the market.

Two things: Business isn't the unified win for Android, as it was for Windows. That could change, but they're not as far along with business compliance as Apple.

What evolved from the Windows monopoly? A platform that is very cheap, but virus-ridden. Remember the triumph of IE? They did it by making that browser capable of many, many things that they NEVER should have done, things that made IE a malware-writer's dream. Now the Android world has Flash. Have fun with it while you wait for that circle to turn into video and watch your battery go down. Good luck with cross-platform crap apps.

Beware of any business that is purely ad-driven.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google Music planned as iTunes for Android, may kill DoubleTwist