or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WWDC 2010 banners focus on iPhone OS 4 features, App Store success

WWDC 2010 banners focus on iPhone OS 4 features, App Store success - Page 2

post #41 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

I'm a bit confused by this statement. You can buy albums or songs on the iPhone and listen to them as soon as they're done downloading or you can stream music from different sources. I use a platform called Subsonic to stream my entire library of music from my home server to my iPhone. The client (Z-Subsonic) also caches what you've played locally so you can listen to it even when you don't have a 3G or wifi connection.
post #42 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

I'm a bit confused by this statement. You can buy albums or songs on the iPhone and listen to them as soon as they're done downloading or you can stream music from different sources. I use a platform called Subsonic to stream my entire library of music from my home server to my iPhone. The client (Z-Subsonic) also caches what you've played locally so you can listen to it even when you don't have a 3G or wifi connection.

Maybe he means free, illegal, downloading...
post #43 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The future is apps which leverage the cloud, like Shazam, like Dropbox, like SimpleNote, RedDelicious, all the public transport apps, Skype, Wikipedia gateways, RSS readers, Twitterific, etc.

Now, please tell me why all these apps are apps distributed via the appstore and are not webapps? If the future is the cloud and webapps, why are most of the leading apps levering the cloud not webapps?

(Hint: It's about UI features and distribution/backup.

It's also about bandwidth. AT&T is moving to 2GB plans, and globally networks are being strained by large usage of iPhones.

Web apps, nope, not practical because you got to load it/ cache it all the time. Cloud stuff? Yes, useful, but bandwidth issues in the next few years will require real intelligent implementation of cloud features.
post #44 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Perhaps I'm naive: maybe some attendees go for the technical sessions.

Steve isn't giving Gizmodo any more pageviews. He doesn't look backward very often. He's already focused on the next iPad, the next iPhone, the next whatever-it-is. He's just going to let the San Mateo County District Attorney's office do its thing.

Apparently, Gizmodo's Brian Lam was begging for help in liveblogging the keynote since Apple turned down their request for a press pass. I can just imagine the conversation in the office when Gizmodo's request was received by Apple. I wonder how many people it was forwarded to...

I'm sure it was posted on Apple's Intranet... "Guess what dear Apple employees, here's a day-brightener for you. Guess who requested a press pass for WWDC? ROFL..." This was followed by a memo from Steve titled "Thoughts on Gizmodo".
post #45 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Native apps are more satisfying than web apps. The main advantage web apps have is their ease of deployment.

But the App Store solves many of the problems of deploying native apps. I think ultimately native apps + managed distribution + documents on the cloud will be a better user experience than web apps.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

i hope apple can improve on final cut studio and the macs. the whole iphone/ipad are changing their core values i think. i hope there is better stuff going on at wwdc than just iphone os. bring back the macs and software like the good old days!

The build quality of Macs has definitely gone down. I know people will counter with "Oh, but customer satisfaction surveys show etc etc". However internationally (where a huge percentage of Apple sales come from) there are big issues with 3rd parties providing service and support where no official Apple Stores exist.
post #46 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Why on Earth would anyone want a larger screen? How much larger can it get? This is a MOBILE PHONE after all. If you want something bigger to watch movies and read books on, I think Apple just came out with a product for that.

Also, if you want a camera that takes amazing, high-quality photos to showcase for your family and friends... BUY A CAMERA! My iPhone camera is great for snapping pictures on the go to upload to Facebook or MMS to a friend. But if I'm looking to make a real collection of memorable photos, I pull out my CAMERA.

Lord, ya'll made me stamp down the CAPS key. So, so sorry.

iPhone just needs an LED/Xenon/Whatever flash from my "practicality" point of view. But there will be a few "ahhhh" features to keep iPhone "competitive" in the eyes of global consumers. 50 million iPhone 4Gs sold by end of 2010 is quite possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What we call the Web today, will either evolve into broader access to more specialized information to get work done or it will continue to be an endless playground of TV, Advertisements and Strip Malls.

The web helps to get work done? Not with Facebook and those "funny videos" flying all over the place.
post #47 of 101
Quote:

Why on Earth would anyone want a larger screen? How much larger can it get? This is a MOBILE PHONE after all. If you want something bigger to watch movies and read books on, I think Apple just came out with a product for that.

Also, if you want a camera that takes amazing, high-quality photos to showcase for your family and friends... BUY A CAMERA! My iPhone camera is great for snapping pictures on the go to upload to Facebook or MMS to a friend. But if I'm looking to make a real collection of memorable photos, I pull out my CAMERA.

Lord, ya'll made me stamp down the CAPS key. So, so sorry.

After seeing what that other product with a larger screen has done for apps I was just musing. Seems like they're going for higher screen density anyway, which will make text look much nicer, if nothing else. I don't use the iPhone camera at all to be honest, but the implementation of it into apps (like barcode scanners, and those AR apps which were all the rage) is pretty cool.

You should have just used SHIFT mate.
post #48 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The build quality of Macs has definitely gone down. I know people will counter with "Oh, but customer satisfaction surveys show etc etc". However internationally (where a huge percentage of Apple sales come from) there are big issues with 3rd parties providing service and support where no official Apple Stores exist.

Translation: "I know that the facts don't agree with me, but you should believe me, anyway".

Quote:

Started to get a little tired of iPhone OS. I'll stick with OS X, no doubt. However, I'm thinking switching away from the iDevices to something like Dell's Android-base (gasp!) mini tablet. My needs for an mobile OS have changed and there something even the iPhone OS can't do. Thats all.

I'd be interested in hearing what iPhone OS "can't do". So far, I've found almost nothing that it can't do. Granted, using Logmein to access my main computer to do 'desktop things' isn't quite as transparent as I'd like, but it works fine.

More importantly, iPhone OS is not designed to do 'everything'. It's designed to do 'the things most people want to do' better than anything else. If you want to play a featureitis game, it's probably not the phone for you.

Quote:

I know OS 4 looks good. Though lately I've been trying Android 1.5-2.1 on their cross-platform emulator and have been fairly impressed. Its so open. Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

It can't? Maybe you should learn what the iPhone can do before you criticize it. I do that on my phone all the time. Use Shazam to find out what a song is and then buy it.

Quote:

Also, if you want a camera that takes amazing, high-quality photos to showcase for your family and friends... BUY A CAMERA! My iPhone camera is great for snapping pictures on the go to upload to Facebook or MMS to a friend. But if I'm looking to make a real collection of memorable photos, I pull out my CAMERA..

Exactly. Apple appears to be the only one who understands that there are tradeoffs. If you try to design a device to do EVERYTHING, it's going to do nothing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There really is not financial reason for them to stream the keynote live.

1st Promotion: They bring down the store that morning until after the keynote.
2nd Promotion: They have the live bloggers doing their thing.
3rd Promotion: Change apple.com to reflect changes, make an SW updates active.
4th Promotion: Post the video as a stream.
5th Promotion: Post the video as downloadable podcast.

This is all pretty inexpensive for Apple yet from tech sites, to major newspapers, to financial news, to national and local news shows are all reporting on this. They certainly know how to make the most of a marketing budget.

PS: Can you imagine if they sold this as exclusive live TV rights or offered it up to everyone like a State of the Union address? I have think that more a few stations would go for it.

Or, maybe, just maybe, it's Apple's way of rewarding developers and encouraging developers to attend WWDC - which has a value of its own.

Given the choice between Apple's PR expertise and some anonymous Internet poster, I'll go with Apple, thank you.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

+1, or it'll be a big waste of $1,599 for the atendees.
Perhaps he'll use gizmodos photos of the iPhone prototype when he gets to the part were he shows what it looks like?

PS. one day to go (00:36, Sunday 6th. GMT)

I don't think the attendees paid $1599 just to hear the keynote live. And I didn't realize that WWDC lasted just 2 hours.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
set you free."
post #50 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadWeekly View Post

All of the things mentioned on the rumor sites seem disappointing so far. We know about iPhone OS 4 and the new phones. Safari 5 is nothing to write home about. Hopefully Steve has something up his sleeve.

Apple already released the "revolutionary" thing for this year. If you can't remember what that is, maybe you should look at what you call yourself here.

It's inane to think that every Apple/Jobs event yields something totally unexpected. Apple is evolving its platform, piece by piece. It may look disappointing to you simply because you have expectations that aren't grounded in the realities of building a successful platform.

And by the way, what mobile phone has an easy-to-use video phone capability that's already connected to millions of people?
set you free."
set you free."
post #51 of 101
Quote:

Started to get a little tired of iPhone OS. I'll stick with OS X, no doubt. However, I'm thinking switching away from the iDevices to something like Dell's Android-base (gasp!) mini tablet. My needs for an mobile OS have changed and there something even the iPhone OS can't do. Thats all.

What are those supposed "needs"?

Quote:
I know OS 4 looks good. Though lately I've been trying Android 1.5-2.1 on their cross-platform emulator and have been fairly impressed. Its so open. Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

I didn't realize that the iTunes Store wasn't in the cloud. Maybe it's on my desktop?

I also didn't realize that I couldn't listen to a downloaded song the minute it's done downloading to the iPhone. Maybe my iPhone is different than yours.

And how does "open" meet your needs? How does "open" make you "fairly impressed"? The iPhone has over 200000 apps - I'm not sure how many more needs aren't met by those apps, especially when the Google-fanboys tell me that only about 30K apps is all that is needed in the Store to meet EVERYONE's needs; yup, everyone in the whole wide world.
set you free."
set you free."
post #52 of 101
1 day, 2 hours, 52 minutes to go!!!

Anybody have a last minute rumor roundup?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #53 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Anybody have a last minute rumor roundup?

iPhone OS 4.0, iPhone HD/4G, new monitor(s), MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iLife and iWork 2010, maybe somthing apple TV related.
post #54 of 101
Quote:

iPhone OS 4.0, iPhone HD/4G, new monitor(s), MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iLife and iWork 2010, maybe somthing apple TV related.

+ Safari 5, new Xcode, free Mobileme and 10.6 update.
post #55 of 101
Quote:

Cool. Plenty to look forward to!

post #56 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Hi Berger and everyone, please use the Official WWDC 2010 Countdown Thread
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=110135
post #57 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I forgot about Safari and Xcode

Apple offering free mobile me would certainly be something, I would leave Google and Gmail in a heartbeat.
post #58 of 101
Quote:

Whoa, whoa there buddy. Sounds too crazy for me.
post #59 of 101
Quote:

I forgot about Safari and Xcode

Apple offering free mobile me would certainly be something, I would leave Google and Gmail in a heartbeat.

To compete with Blackberry and Google Mobile Me is probably going to be free. It may not happen though, could be pulled at the last minute if Apple feels the data centre can't handle it.
post #60 of 101
Quote:

To compete with Blackberry and Google Mobile Me is probably going to be free. It may not happen though, could be pulled at the last minute if Apple feels the data centre can't handle it.

$40 Bn can build more data centers :P
post #61 of 101
Quote:

$40 Bn can build more data centers :P

Heck, $40Bn can buy a small country or two.
post #62 of 101
Quote:

Like, I like how you can download music straight from a the cloud, download, then listen to it the minute it's done, for example. Something the iPhone can't do.

I can open iTunes on my iPhone, download a song and listen to it the minute it's done. I can doe this over 3G or WiFi. I don't know why you think/say you can't.
iMac 24" early 2008 | iBook G4 12" late 2004 | iPhone 3G 3.5" mid 2008
iMac 24" early 2008 | iBook G4 12" late 2004 | iPhone 3G 3.5" mid 2008
post #63 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or, maybe, just maybe, it's Apple's way of rewarding developers and encouraging developers to attend WWDC - which has a value of its own.

Given the choice between Apple's PR expertise and some anonymous Internet poster, I'll go with Apple, thank you.

1) You are always so abrasive for no reason.

2) It's part of their marketing engine. If you attend you WWDC just to go to the keynote, but you aren't there to take courses or are working for a company in some capacity that is pretty lame. Plus, if you what you say is true then they would offer no video of the event, yet they do.

3) It is part of their marketing engine at work. There is no need to spend money if you don't have to and this filters throughout their business as a whole.

4) You're not going with Apple over "some anonymous Internet poster", you're going with your own opinion. Big difference. I'm the one going with Apple here, not you.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #64 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Fella View Post

I can open iTunes on my iPhone, download a song and listen to it the minute it's done. I can doe this over 3G or WiFi. I don't know why you think/say you can't.

I can't do that on the iPHone before it's done from iDisk and Dropbox, to name a few. I can also do it with videos, as well.
post #65 of 101
Quote:

You should have just used SHIFT mate.

Or bold. The caps thing is irritating. Would you actually shout those words if you were talking to someone? Prolly not.
post #66 of 101
Quote:

I'm sure it was posted on Apple's Intranet... "Guess what dear Apple employees, here's a day-brightener for you. Guess who requested a press pass for WWDC? ROFL..." This was followed by a memo from Steve titled "Thoughts on Gizmodo".

I'm sure that the folks administering the conference had been told in advance what to do with a possible Gizmodo application. They didn't have to send it anywhere... but they may still have done so just for yucks.

Thompson
post #67 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It's gonna be a while 'til anyone catches up with that!

Other than McDonalds, that's some impressive stuff.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #68 of 101
Quote:

+1, or it'll be a big waste of $1,599 for the atendees.
Perhaps he'll use gizmodos photos of the iPhone prototype when he gets to the part were he shows what it looks like?

PS. one day to go (00:36, Sunday 6th. GMT)

This is a developer's conference. The hardware introductions are fun for the general public, but people mainly attend WWDC to learn and make business deals. If there were no product announcements, developers would still want and need a forum to meet.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #69 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

Even though the banners are saying very little they look fantastic this year!

Yeah, I like the whole app vortex/tornado thing they got goin' on.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #70 of 101
Quote:

You can bet there have been pictures of every Gizmodo employee circulated to security with orders to "tase" first, ask questions later.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #71 of 101
My one big wish that probably won't ever be granted - at this WWDC or in the future - is the ability to remove the iPhone's "factory" apps (without jail breaking, of course).

This is a personal request, though, because I just don't need their crappy Weather app, Voice Memos, Stocks, or even YouTube for that matter. I'm sure there's a reason we're required to keep these, but what is it?
post #72 of 101
Quote:

Oh, I will be so pissed if Apple offers free MobileMe. Jobs better give me an iTunes store credit.
post #73 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Or bold. The caps thing is irritating. Would you actually shout those words if you were talking to someone? Prolly not.

Actually, yes. The words I put in CAPS were meant to be "shouted" at the guy who wants some super, futuristic device that takes professional quality photos, read a books to him, and jerks him off... all for $199. Oh, and with free, unlimited tethering!

That is irritating. Did I use italics correctly?
post #74 of 101
Quote:

Web apps, nope, not practical because you got to load it/ cache it all the time.

What does this mean?

censored

censored

post #75 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

its about the whole user experience and the average phone user has proven that is all it takes. example: iphones success.

Given that the average phone user does not buy an iPhone, how does your statement make sense? Maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Just with respect to people who buy smartphones, more than 4 people decide against the iPhone for every 1 who buys it.

If you are talking the "average phone user" in general, including everyone who buys mobile phones, the iPhone's market share is so small that it is included in the "other" category.

The average phone user does NOT buy an iPhone. The iPhone demographic strays far from the average. Recently, for example, information was reported that (not surprisingly) iPhone demographics are skewed towards older, better educated and wealthier customers.

Nope. The "average phone user" has NOT proven that "the whole user experience" is "all it takes". The opposite, maybe.
post #76 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

I do hope I am wrong and we'll see some cool Mac-related things this year!

This year? Probably.

Future years? Less and less.
post #77 of 101
Looking forward to the possibility of a 4.0 beta for the iPad at WWDC
post #78 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokadam View Post

... will there be a streamed/broadcasted live video and/or sound feed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple is perfectly capable of providing a live audio/video feed, however they choose not to do so for these types of events.

Again, this is a marketing decision by Apple, not a perceived technical limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can you imagine if they sold this as exclusive live TV rights or offered it up to everyone like a State of the Union address? I have think that more a few stations would go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Here's an Idea ...

10 +/- years ago, can't remember exactly, but after Steve returned

Apple made available a Live Keynote Feed (in some fashion, don't know tech details)

The Local Mac User Group got that Feed, along with a Local Theater

Presto - instant Live Keynote with 200 other Folks, and Steve on stage (so to speak)

Was Insanely Great

Now ...

Is the Keynote Stream at least shown in the Retail Stores ?

Know this ...

Apple should do it, and in as many Public Spaces as possible

And if need or want, as mentioned above - charge admission, People will pay

Nothing like experiencing a SteveNote in a Theater surrounded by Other Folks

Is RDF to the max

Insanely Great

post #79 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

The app store success cannot continue to be Apple's card, the future lies in web apps and more innovative use of the cloud.

cloud - n. A buzzword used by marketing executives too young to remember "thin clients".
post #80 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

cloud - n. A buzzword used by marketing executives too young to remember "thin clients".

True, but since thin clients failed a new marketing term was bound to billow in. The silver lining is that now there are technologies that make it viable.

I'm loving Dropbox and expect that much cloud computing will work in a similar fashion; not replacing local storage but acting as a way to seamlessly connect your devices.

Apple's iTunes "cloud" surely won't be moving your iTunes library off your PC or keeping an actual copy of your library on the cloud, but a representative copy of your library that others transparently are connected to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WWDC 2010 banners focus on iPhone OS 4 features, App Store success