or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US

Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US - Page 2

post #41 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

They did not start out at zero during the time periods under comparison. I'm not sure what you are saying.

I'm saying that if you were to look at an analogous period in iPhone's growth curve, it would be similar to Android's. I was not clear.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #42 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, but you made a blanket statement that Apple has zero dominance in the smartphone market. You also ignored their dominance over other smartphone companies in marketshare and unit sales.

If you were only looking at one aspect of one metric then you should have stated so instead of simply using the word "dominate" and "smartphone market" to ONLY indicate unit marketshare. RiM, Nokia, Apple, Android, and surely others are all dominate share of the market in some way.

We were discussing a topic: iPhone market penetration and the resulting antitrust implications. I commented on the topic. I did not specify that my comment may not apply to a different topic.

Sorry. My bad.
post #43 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Today Apple holds a lead with phone apps, but between their limited carriers, offering a single phone model, and the one-two punch to developers of SDK 4.0 and the growing number of arbitary AppStore purgings, we can safely expect that to level off within a year, ceding the majority of development investment to Android.

We keep hearing this. But all we're seeing is evidence to the contrary.
post #44 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

I think the only demographic that matters is smart (although the article only mentions education, not intelligence).

Note: My friend has Verizon, so I recommended the Droid Incredible, the latest smartphone released at the time on that network. He was so excited to show it to me when he received it from pre-order. The saddest moment, 5 people in the office couldn't figure out how to take a photo with the photo app. They could manipulate the camera in any other way, features purportedly lacking on the iPhone, but they couldn't figure out how to take a photo. Saddest thing ever.

5 people couldn't figure out how to click on the icon which looks like a camera and says Camera under it. And then when the app starts, couldn't figure out how to click on the biggest button in the app that looks like a shutter? Yeah. That's the saddest thing indeed!
post #45 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

As an Apple enthusiast, their being a leader in their field is important. To me, anyway.

Fair enough. I just wondered why.
post #46 of 250
Quote:

Who calls them that?

It's a common part of the Windows fan meme. ("Rich kids and celebs use Macs, real people use Windows", that sort of thing) Are you being passive aggressive, or did you really not know this. Just asking.
post #47 of 250
Quote:

Very sad. It is good that such folk have the iPhone to use.

But your friend with the Droid needs to download a few different camera programs and pick one that he likes better. If he were to Google "Android Camera App" he will have plenty of recommended choices available to him.

So the Android market is going to be full of Apps like this camera app that suck, and you'll have to cross your fingers whenever you buy one. Sounds a lot like PC software. That's what happens when you provide a cheep, lazy, open forum to toss anything you want into.

The fact that Android phones can be had for cheep and on just about any platform means that there will be a certain amount of market success for Android. But it certainly isn't for me.

Thompson
post #48 of 250
No offense meant either way, but the iPhone and the android seem to be catering to two completely different market segments.

As an app provider, software maker, phone manufacturer, service provider, advertiser, etc., I know which one I'd rather have.
post #49 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

So the Android market is going to be full of Apps like this camera app that suck, and you'll have to cross your fingers whenever you buy one. Sounds a lot like PC software. That's what happens when you provide a cheep, lazy, open forum to toss anything you want into.

The fact that Android phones can be had for cheep and on just about any platform means that there will be a certain amount of market success for Android. But it certainly isn't for me.

Thompson

Bingo. I think that Apple has identified a large demographic, and those people love Apple's products.

And yes, just like any platform, many (most?) of the apps will suck. But nobody I know buys them by crossing their fingers. Usually, they read reviews like this one:

The Best Android Apps [Part 1]: The Android Network Award Winners

http://androinica.com/2009/08/18/the...s-androidapps/

Isn't that exactly what people do when they buy software for their Mac? Or do they just cross their fingers? Does Apple provide a cheap, lazy way to allow devs to make crappy Mac apps? My understanding is that anybody can make a horrible app for Macs, and Apple allows them to do so and to distribute it. Do you think that is bad?
post #50 of 250
Quote:

Which is it? You've consumed too much lead paint as a kid or you are trolling? The growth rate of a single product when excluding it from the entire market is irrelvant with the entire market.

I wasn't aware that Nielsen was monitoring the entire world and that AI has chosen to just use the US stats to make the iPhone look better.

How about some accurate market growth.
Android
07% — Q4-09
09% — Q1-10
02% — Market Share Growth

iPhone
26% — Q4-09
28% — Q1-10
02% — Market Share Growth My 12yo can understand this, why can't you?

Your personal attacks do not distract the astute reader from the absence of merit in your words:

As I noted in the post you're replying to, the Nielsen stats you're citing are for a selective subset of sales, the portion that occur in the US. The stats I provided included those in the superset of the entire world.
post #51 of 250
Quote:

Very sad. It is good that such folk have the iPhone to use.

But your friend with the Droid needs to download a few different camera programs and pick one that he likes better. If he were to Google "Android Camera App" he will have plenty of recommended choices available to him.

Based on Stevie's statement advertising stats and app downloads should be considerably higher on Android than on iPhone per unit by virtue of the fact that mundane apps for simply taking a photo with the included camera HW are oddly not included.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #52 of 250
Quote:

Who calls them that?

The great unwashed who are not Apple users.
post #53 of 250
What I think many people forget is, that there are many iPod touch users that are very likely to get an iPhone because of all the Apps (Productivity+Games) they already own. Also most existing iPhone owners already made a financial commitment to their platform by buying apps and Android users are less likely to buy apps. So I think most iPhone owners will not change their platform.

Another problem is that if you use your Phone for work it is not excusable if it becomes unstable, leaks private data or fails to function in any other way and a lousy battery is a real no go. I had a HTC patched WinMobile phone a year ago which broke and which was everything but reliable. Also the privacy issue is a big one with Google since it seems, that they want to know everything about everybody. This is why I will not buy an Android.

As an example, I am a medical student (4 weeks to go and I am finished hurray!) and during my practical training I have seen a lot of doctors praising their iPhones (or better the Appdevelopers for the platform). The App Store offers an great amount of really high quality medical apps that are expensive but do their job very well.
I had the time to test some of those apps on my iPod touch and I have saved those €700 to get myself an iPhone 4 this summer.
post #54 of 250
Quote:

Likely it is because your 12 year old is not capable of more sophisticated analysis.

It would be unremarkable, for example, if a product went from 76 to 78 percent of a market. But if a new product goes from, say 8, percent to 10 percent, it shows something much more significant.

If you stop your analysis at "they are both 2%", without thinking any further, then you miss much.

Exactly what do you miss? That Android has a small share? And that it's market share has grown only by the same amount (and volume by a smaller amount) compared to Apple despite the latter's much larger share share? This despite the fact that Android is presumably in its 'early growth' phase?

I think Apple's numbers are remarkable.

You should be lucky to have the brains of that 12-year old!
post #55 of 250
Quote:

As I noted in the post you're replying to, the Nielsen stats you're citing are for a selective subset of sales, the portion that occur in the US.

It's not a subset of Neilsen's stats if that is the only stats they monitor. Again, show us proof that Neilsen monitors stats for the entire world's phones.

By your reckoning we can't use just smartphones or all handsets, but have to keep using a superset of every sale from everything in order to keep it from invalidating itself. Perhaps you should look into what Neilsen does, as a company, and why these stats are usual to their customers before commenting again.
post #56 of 250
Quote:

It's not a subset of Neilsen's stats if that is the only stats they monitor. Again, show us proof that Neilsen monitors stats for the entire world's phones

Straw man: no one but you has suggested the notion that Nielsen's US stats measure anything other than the US.

Fully acknowledging that, the global stats I provided were not from Nielsen, but from a source that doesn't limit its data to only the US market.
post #57 of 250
Quote:

What you may be remembering is a recent quarterly sales report where Android phones sold in greater numbers than the iPhone.

Read again. You overlooked the 2% QoQ increase that Android had in Q12010. How does this stand up against the "skyrocketing" growth of Android?http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1oyvey.gif

Nielsen's study had more samples and so maybe more reliable statistically.
post #58 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

That's the remarkable thing about Apple's AppStore: even with Apple's unprecedented control over every aspect of development down to dictating which languages can be used, all the way to limiting deployment to a single store they control from which they regularly purge even apps they've approved multiple times before, their store still has somewhere between 20 and 200 variants of iFart and thousands of other copy-cat programs, not to mention a host of medical scams:

http://gizmodo.com/5555853/the-apple...+%28Gizmodo%29

And what does wading through this quagmire do for developers? Out of 200,000 apps, 199,900 of them are earning less than if the developer shut down their Mac and flipped burgers instead:
http://appular.com/2010/04/the-ipad-...re-its-a-mess/
post #59 of 250
Quote:

It's not a subset of Neilsen's stats if that is the only stats they monitor. Again, show us proof that Neilsen monitors stats for the entire world's phones.

By your reckoning we can't use just smartphones or all handsets, but have to keep using a superset of every sale from everything in order to keep it from invalidating itself. Perhaps you should look into what Neilsen does, as a company, and why these stats are usual to their customers before commenting again.

Actually the graph says it is National poll.
Also the Nokia numbers clearly show the survey is US only.
post #60 of 250
Quote:

Limiting the stats to just US sales appears to show iPhone growth on par with Android for the period covered. Limiting the stats to Cuperinto's zip code shows looks even better for iPhone.

But once we take such arbitrary limitations away and look at the world as a whole, we see a different picture:

iPhone
1Q09: 10.5%
1Q10: 15.5%
Rate of growth:68%

Android
1Q09: 1.6
1Q10: 9.6
Rate of growth: 600%

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/19/iph...id-25-percent/

Looking at the whole of sales worldwide, Android is outgrowing iPhone by almost an order of magnitude.

Yes, that was true for just one quarter, where it started from a low base. iPhone also had two quarters where it grew by over 500% and over 600% year-over-year, but only fools would've expected iPhone to keep growing at that pace. In the same way, it would be foolish to expect Android to grow 600% yoy in the 1st quarter of 2011. Not even Nokia, the market leader worldwide, sells that many smartphones in a single quarter.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
set you free."
post #61 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I kind of agree. Do we not expect the iPhone market to be a good bit larger then the Android market?

By they way I had a chance to use the new EVO 4G yesterday. That phone is about as close to perfect as you can get. What I really like about it is an 8 megapixel cam which will take 720p video and 1.3 front mounted cam for video chatting. Being in ATL I have full 4G coverage so the download speeds were really nice.

Not sure how its going to stack up against the new iPhone but it was the best Android phone I have used by far.

Did you like the EVO enough to buy one? It sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for. If you did not - what was the reason?

just curious. where i live, i don't have the opportunity to see any of the new toys when they come out.
post #62 of 250
Quote:

It would be unremarkable, for example, if a product went from 76 to 78 percent of a market. But if a new product goes from, say 8, percent to 10 percent, it shows something much more significant.

If you stop your analysis at "they are both 2%", without thinking any further, then you miss much.

Some might say it's harder for someone with 76% of the market to get 2% more, after all, they have to get that 2% out of the remaining 24% (whereas the other competitor was getting its 2% from a larger market of 92%.)

So it depends on whether the market is saturated or not, and whether future growth is dependent on conversions or not.
set you free."
set you free."
post #63 of 250
Quote:

I kind of agree. Do we not expect the iPhone market to be a good bit larger then the Android market?

I expect Android to be much larger marketshare than iPhone after it matures.

The iPhone and Android both came out the same year within a months of each other, and despite the 'out of the gate" momentum for iPhone compared to the T-Mobile G1 Android should be outpacing the iPhone in unit sales and eventually overtake every device in the market in terms of unit sales and overall unit market share. It's the nature of the beast. Neither RiM nor Apple want to play that game, and I don't think Nokia knows what game it's playing.

WinMo7 has a chance to be more profitable than WinMo is right now as this category of computing is growing rapidly and will soon outpace desktop OS sales per quarter. But it won't beat the install base of a free, open mobile OS being used by dozens companies and counting.

WinMo's clear advantage over Android and where it will compete most with iPhone and Blackberry is in the corporate world. I've seen nothing from Android yet that tells me they wish to take that market seriously, but I don't think they have to in order to be successful for their vendors.

Quote:
By they way I had a chance to use the new EVO 4G yesterday. That phone is about as close to perfect as you can get. What I really like about it is an 8 megapixel cam which will take 720p video and 1.3 front mounted cam for video chatting. Being in ATL I have full 4G coverage so the download speeds were really nice.

I played with one, too. It's quite nice. I have mixed feeling about HTC Sense UI. In some places they make it better, but in others it's clearly more convoluted.

The display was a little big for my tastes. I like a phone that fits in the pocket more easily. However, I see this as a clear win for the HTC especially since it's between 1.60 (16:10) and 1.78 (16:9) aspect ratio with 1.67. In other words, Apple can't go with a 4.3" display without making the phone excessively wide or by changing the 1.50 (3:2) aspect ratio, which would be a boondoggle for their developers requiring yet another universal app for the iPhone OS.

I wasn't able to compare the camera images outside the device or use it outside in direct sunlight. Also, the 1.3Mpx front-facing camera is more marketing than anything else, except for taking self portraits. 1.3Mpx translates to a resolution of 1280x1024, which is way to large for video chat. I assume this is reduced to about 0.3Mpx (640x480 resolution) or less for video conferencing. I didn't find a video conferencing app or have another EVO to which to test it.

All in all, it's the best Android phone I've used and thought about buying one to test, but with the iPhone coming out so soon I opted against it. I look forward to seeing how WiMAX stands up to AT&T's 3G and Verizon's LTE in throughput, latency and power usage.

Quote:
Not sure how its going to stack up against the new iPhone but it was the best Android phone I have used by far.

The EVO 4G has a 217ppi. The current iPhone has a 171ppi, which was comparatively high when it came out in 2007. The next iPhone is rumored to have a 343ppi.

For comparison the Moto Droid has 265ppi, currently the highest I have seen. The Nexus One and Droid Incredible have a 252ppi, using the same aspect ratio and pixel count as the EVO 4G, but on a 3.7" display. While the EVO 4G has a lower ppi for a modern Android phone the screen real estate and quality more than make up for that and shouldn't be a deterrent for buyers.

The next iPhone will surely be the highest and best smartphone display again, but will also likely get trumped again in short order. With such a pixel count I don't expect Apple to change the resolution for at least 3 years again, if not more, only increasing the quality of the LCD panel itself.
post #64 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky99 View Post

Actually the graph says it is National poll.
Also the Nokia numbers clearly show the survey is US only.

Yuh, that's my point.
post #65 of 250
Quote:

What you are saying is all true. Apples numbers on the iPhone are remarkable, however it looks pretty clear that Google is not only making a very good OS with Android but the Android based phones are really getting good. Phones like the Evo and Incredible are really solid HTC phones. I used the EVO yesterday for about an hour and it was by far the best Android phone I have ever used.

Blackberry is going to be hurt by Android and I simply don't see Windows mobile going anywhere.

Like everyone I am not sure what the new iPhone will offer but at least in my opinion which of course is subjective the EVO blows away the current iPhone. That of course could change this coming week.

Recent review of EVO : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...?hpid=sec-tech
post #66 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Yes, that was true for just one quarter, where it started from a low base. iPhone also had two quarters where it grew by over 500% and over 600% year-over-year, but only fools would've expected iPhone to keep growing at that pace. In the same way, it would be foolish to expect Android to grow 600% yoy in the 1st quarter of 2011. Not even Nokia, the market leader worldwide, sells that many smartphones in a single quarter.

Very true. In isolation, the varying dynamics of this nascent market can show all sorts of fluctuations in any given quarter.

For a broader view it can be useful to augment current sales data, such as those I linked to, with data spanning Sep. '09 through Feb. '10, giving us a much longer perspective:

Quote:
The report concluded that 45.4 million people in the United States were using smartphones in the period ending in Feb. 2010, which is a 21% increase over period ending last November. RIM still has a strong lead over the field, with 42.1% of the smartphone market share, and it rose by 1.3% over this period. But the most interesting story is the rapid rise of Android, whose share grew 5.2%. Apple’s share has remained stable, with a .1% drop.

I think Solipsism summed it up very well when he wrote:
"I expect Android to be much larger than iPhone after it matures."

His opinion is strongly supported by Gartner:
Android to overtake iPhone in 2012
http://www.electronista.com/articles...re.in.3.years/
post #67 of 250
Quote:

Hey extreme, nice to see you back. Even 'tho I hardly ever agree with you, I always enjoy reading you. ( When you're not too "over the top" )

My take on this is this: First of all, anyone, and I mean anyone, can find, and use, figures to tell any story they want to ... just read the financial "experts" commenting on the economy and you'll see what I mean.

Secondly, even a "fanboy" like me would not be thinking clearly if they thought that Android would not, at some time in the future, pass Apple in cell phone OS usage.
I think of it like this ... it's Apple against the world. Apple is only on Apple devices, Android is on any/all the rest. Surely, at some time, Android will be # 1 in "market share". The thing is, neither Apple nor I (and others like me) .... give a shit.
Apple's philosophy is, and always has been, to make the best hardware/software that it can to give the best user experience that it can. If, as a result, they capture the biggest slice of the pie ... that's a bonus ... but they do not chase market share, nor should they. There are enough Google's and Msft's in the world to do that.

Does anybody think that Google cares about the quality of any of the phones that Android populates? Their philosophy is ... hey, make any POS you want ... we'll dumb down our OS to "make it work" or better yet you can DIY.

Personally, I couldn't care less if Apple is #1 or # 25, as long as they are still around and putting out the very best hardware, software and consumer experience in the world. Keep it up Apple!
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #68 of 250
Quote:

The EVO was very good in daylight because its LCD.

No wonder it's lower than the ppi of the other HTC phones and still looks great. Now that I think about it, the contrast wasn't all out of whack like on OLED phones. Part of the reason why i thought it looked so good, yet I didn't realize that until now.
post #69 of 250
It's as I suspected... Android will become the de facto commodity "smartphone", whereas iPhone will retain the top-tier customers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #70 of 250
Quote:

Nobody in their right mind would claim that profits have no barring on dominance in a market.
http://www.ismashphone.com/images/Ap...nfographic.png (image) It sure looks like they are dominate to me.

Interesting link. Can the iPhone naysayers provide a link that contradicts this?
post #71 of 250
Quote:

Based on Stevie's statement advertising stats and app downloads should be considerably higher on Android than on iPhone per unit by virtue of the fact that mundane apps for simply taking a photo with the included camera HW are oddly not included.

"Should be"?

No included photo app?

I don't really know what premises you rely on for either of these. you reach them based on my statements? Huh?
post #72 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

I have seen a lot of doctors praising their iPhones

The entire medical establishment is rightly famous for being technologically illiterate. I dunno about the "lot of doctors" you saw.

But if they are average doctors, their technology opinions are likely unreliable.
post #73 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

Interesting link. Can the iPhone naysayers provide a link that contradicts this?

I don't know about the "naysayers", but personally I like it:

- as an Apple shareholder I make money from their highest-in-the-industry margins
- as a developer I get the freedom to choose my own tools and the ROI of using cross-platform frameworks when developing for the majority
- as a customer I get to choose what I can put on my phone

I win on all sides.
post #74 of 250
Quote:

"Should be"?

No included photo app?

I don't really know what premises you rely on for either of these. you reach them based on my statements? Huh?

Now you aren't even standing behind your own statements.
post #75 of 250
In the survey, did anybody take into account the buy 1, get one free effect on numbers. I think if AT&T ran a promotion like this, you would see vastly different numbers.
post #76 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by gftuna View Post

In the survey, did anybody take into account the buy 1, get one free effect on numbers. I think if AT&T ran a promotion like this, you would see vastly different numbers.

Welcome to the forum.

That goes along with the profit the vendors will make, but per unit sales stand on their own regardless if a phone is free with contract or $1000.

One thing I'd like to see is a clearer definition of 'smartphone'. I have a hard time seeing S60 as a smartphone OS in 2010 and the iPhone reportedly has a 72% marketshare in Japan though their numbers pale in comparison to the feature phones most common to that country.
post #77 of 250
Quote:

And what does wading through this quagmire do for developers? Out of 200,000 apps, 199,900 of them are earning less than if the developer shut down their Mac and flipped burgers instead:
http://appular.com/2010/04/the-ipad-...re-its-a-mess/

Exaggeration is never a replacement for the truth.

The link you thoughtfully provided is talking iPad apps only, not total App Store apps. So to try and use a combination of the two to create a post that you like makes me wonder:...if you're incompetent and didn't notice that ... or a liar and chose to ignore that, as it didn't support your post ... I'll leave it up for others to decide.

I will, however, say one thing in you're favor ... your honest enough to use the word troll in your name ... but I would question your use of the word rational.
post #78 of 250
Quote:

The entire medical establishment is rightly famous for being technologically illiterate. I dunno about the "lot of doctors" you saw.

But if they are average doctors, their technology opinions are likely unreliable.

And in this case likely to change.

Right now they're excited about the form factor of the iPad, and today it's the only game in town in that regard. But by the end of summer there will be plenty of option available, and all devices but Apple's will be able to run many of the types of specialized apps those markets need because Apple is the only company in history to prohibit the proven cost-effectiveness of using cross-platform frameworks.

It's not the OS. They all have accelerometers, GPS, multitouch, etc., and most of them will have multi-tasking while Apple offers only what amounts to a game of Freeze Tag.

What matters is the apps. Jobs knows this, which is why he's making all these unprecedented moves to try to eliminate iPhone apps from profitably being deployed to any other OS. He has seemingly little confidence that Apple can sufficiently differentiate its product in an increasingly commoditized market, and instead is pushing to limit deployment options for app developers.

But for all his flailing, developers and their VCs will go where they can make the most money relative to investment, and where they don't face unusual risk of losing that investment every time Apple updates their SDK license: within a year we'll begin to see the effects of limiting developers' workflow options on vertical markets like medical, engineering, education, and many others.

In the meantime, those suffering from Stockholm Syndrome won't connect the dots between Apple's demonstrated untrustworthiness as a development partner and the downstream effects that lost trust has on developers. But it's coming just the same.
post #79 of 250
The amazing thinh snout surveys, especially if it is so transient, is that you can expect all sorts of results. This is more true if you have not really gotten a chance to actually see the questions, the sampling methodology (and assumptions), and the actual raw data.

This is more true with with surveys involving politics.

Spin of results

A RIM fanboy can also spin the results as follows:

RIM phones beat Android by almost fourfold, Windows Mobile by almost two-fold and way ahead of the iPhone.

Is it just possible that even a "rating agency" is capitalizing on the simple rivalry between the "passionate" fanbois of the iPhone and the Androids to boost readership in its own site?

Margin of Error

A rise and fall of 2%? What is the margin of error? Then, it goes back to the sampling and the nature of the survey again. Only a few weeks ago, one survey showed that the iPhone was ahead of Motorola, then another indicated the reverse. Hmmmm! Which to believe? Or, is it just the margin of error in the sampling of the population, or the data source?

Just before the last election, there were tracking surveys by Fox News that showed the McCain-Palin ticket ahead of the Obama ticket. In November 3, 1948 some papers headlined:

"Dewey defeats Truman"

based on their trusted national polling of voters.

CGC

Edit: title should be "Spin"
post #80 of 250
Quote:

What you may be remembering is a recent quarterly sales report where Android phones sold in greater numbers than the iPhone.

Actually, that wasn't a sales report. It was a self-selecting survey with no indication that it had any validity.

Quote:

Limiting the stats to just US sales appears to show iPhone growth on par with Android for the period covered. Limiting the stats to Cuperinto's zip code shows looks even better for iPhone.

But once we take such arbitrary limitations away and look at the world as a whole, we see a different picture:

iPhone
1Q09: 10.5%
1Q10: 15.5%
Rate of growth:68%

Android
1Q09: 1.6
1Q10: 9.6
Rate of growth: 600%

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/19/iph...id-25-percent/

Looking at the whole of sales worldwide, Android is outgrowing iPhone by almost an order of magnitude.

Wow. So from your analysis, we can conclude that in Q1 2011, iPhone will have 26% market share and Android will have 78% market share. That means that everyone else put together has -4% market share. Right?

Why don't you look at the growth rate at comparable points after their introduction? Go back to when Apple had 1.6% market share. What was their growth?

Alternatively, you could look at the Nielsen numbers and compare how much of the available market each company captured. Apple captured 2% of the non-iPhone market (74% in the previous period. Android also captured 2% of the non-Android market, but that was a larger potential market (93%).

Or, you could look at it and see that Apple's huge growth rate continued for a long time while Android's appears to be slowing down (they only gained 2% in Nielsen's data).

But none of that would fit your Apple-hating agenda.

Quote:

Yeah I was just reading that today. Not sure I agree totally with his review but is isn't all that off on some issues. I do agree that 2.2 will offer some solid benefits but I don't really agree that Android users will have to "wait a long time" for updates.

I mean even if you look at the time from 3.1 to 3.2 with the iPhone that was six months.

Yet, for comparison, Android 1.5 or 1.6 is still the most popular version - long after 2.0 and 2.1 came out. In fact, reports are that the overwhelming majority of Android users NEVER upgrade their OS - because the upgrades just plain aren't available.

You're confusing Google's release of an Android upgrade with a carrier releasing a version that real users can install.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US