or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T updates iPhone upgrade dates for more customers

AT&T updates iPhone upgrade dates for more customers

post #1 of 53
Ahead of Apple's anticipated next-generation iPhone announcement, AT&T again began moving some customers' upgrade eligibility dates forward to allow them to buy Apple's latest handset.

A number of users have reported that their eligibility for an iPhone upgrade has been updated, allowing them to buy Apple's next-generation iPhone as soon as it goes on sale, fully subsidized with a 2-year contract agreement. Apple is widely expected to announce its latest handset today, during a keynote from company co-founder Steve Jobs.

Customers can see their upgrade eligibility by logging into their account on the AT&T website and selecting "Check Upgrade Options." Upgrade status can also be checked by dialing *639# from the iPhone.

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee," AT&T's message to eligible iPhone owners reads.

Though U.S. iPhone customers must sign a two-year contract with AT&T in order to receive the iPhone at a subsidized price, the wireless carrier frequently offers faster upgrades for its highest paying customers. Those with more services and a higher monthly bill typically are not required to wait the full two years before they become eligible.

Screen shot via TUAW

AT&T previously revealed that generally speaking, customers who spend more than $99-a-month per line are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

The latest round of upgrades follow previous updates by AT&T in May, when some users saw their upgrade eligibility date moved up by months, to June 21, 2010.

Moving up customers' upgrade dates is the same approach AT&T has taken in the past. Last year, the wireless carrier offered early iPhone 3G adopters the opportunity to purchase an iPhone 3GS as the same $199 and $299 price points as new customers.
post #2 of 53
Yup, mine got moved from 11/20/2010 to now with an $18 activation fee. AT&T is probably just trying to hook customers in with another two years and $300+ ETF to stop an exodus of people if Verizon gets the iPhone.
post #3 of 53
I got my 3GS in sept and I can upgrade. 64gb here I come!
post #4 of 53
Mine as well, checked upgrade options back in early spring and they hadn't moved mine ahead, I was looking at August 2010, not that long of a wait. Checked again yesterday and I mine was moved forward. Guess I know where I will be the day the phone comes out.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Yup, mine got moved from 11/20/2010 to now with an $18 activation fee. AT&T is probably just trying to hook customers in with another two years and $300+ ETF to stop an exodus of people if Verizon gets the iPhone.

I wish it would happen. We'll find out in a few hours.
post #6 of 53
Quote:

Don't forget the new, higher data pricing.
post #7 of 53
AT&T limited bandwidth business plan:

If you can't keep up paying more and more and getting less and less in return, then out the door you go.
post #8 of 53
trouble with upgrading is more than likely you will lose your unlimited (5 GB) data plan for $30....
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

trouble with upgrading is more than likely you will lose your unlimited (5 GB) data plan for $30....

No, this is FUD. AT&T has said numerous times that when you do an equipment upgrade, you can carryover your $30 unlimited plan. But if you later try to switch to the DataPlus or DataPro plan, you're screwed and won't be able to go back.
post #10 of 53
Quote:

AT&T is probably just trying to hook customers in with another two yearsto stop an exodus of people if Verizon gets the iPhone.

Not going to happen, at least not right now, or indeed in 2010. Maybe in 2011 depending on how soon and how much LTE gets rolled out by Vz.
post #11 of 53
I had asked this in another site but I guess I will ask here too.

I have about 15 months left on my plan but I am elligable for the $18 upgrade. Now, If I do it, will I have 24 months or 39?

Thanks
-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

That doesn't apply to everyone. For me, it would be lower. I don't even crack a gig a month , so it would be less. However I am not sure if I will change my plan or not.
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

I had asked this in another site but I guess I will ask here too.

I have about 15 months left on my plan but I am elligable for the $18 upgrade. Now, If I do it, will I have 24 months or 39?

Thanks

It would be a new 2 year contract. They don't rollover your existing contract.
post #14 of 53
My 2 year contract ended in April.
I am so looking forward to the new phone and a cheaper monthly bill from AT&T.

It would be nice to have the iPhone on Verizon. Not because I am leaving AT&T , but so all you people that do nothing but complain about a company that you signed a contract with that didn't force you to use there service can Leave.

I mean Damn, nobody forced you to sign a contract with AT&T, and nobody forced you to stay with them. Dont like them its simple , Leave them

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rind View Post

I mean Damn, nobody forced you to sign a contract with AT&T, and nobody forced you to stay with them. Dont like them its simple , Leave them

Sure, you want to pay my ETF?
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rind View Post

My 2 year contract ended in April.
I am so looking forward to the new phone and a cheaper monthly bill from AT&T.

It would be nice to have the iPhone on Verizon. Not because I am leaving AT&T , but so all you people that do nothing but complain about a company that you signed a contract with that didn't force you to use there service that Leave.

I'd like to hear more from the illiterate guy!
post #17 of 53
I'm not eligible for a free upgrade till February, but the text I got back also said I could get it at a discount price if I wanted to upgrade but I would have to go in to ATT to find out how much that would be. Anyone have any ideas what the cost will be for that?
post #18 of 53
Just for clarification. When you sign up for a new 2 year contract, does that extend your current contract by two years from its current expiration date or does it start a new contract from the date of the upgrade?

Sean
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Sure, you want to pay my ETF?

The ETF wasn't to bad before they raised it recently.

When I looked at getting a cell phone many years ago I looked over all the maps.
Cingular, Nextel, Verizon Etc...

Signed up with Verizon and dealt with all the dropped calls since i signed the contract and knew there service isn't that great where I live. Not sure if its better now.
Before I signed up with Cingular I was able to determine by there map that the areas I needed service I would have that service.
I understand that some people signed up with AT&T simply for the iPhone.
But complaining on a forum that isn't reviewed by AT&T or Apple isn't going to get much done.

Complaining on there forum might not help either I don't know as I have no complaints.

Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #20 of 53
I'm ready to upgrade, now when's it going to release in Australia my 3G is a bit long in the tooth.

My phone company called the other day asking about upgrading I told them as soon as the next iPhone comes out.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #21 of 53
"Early Upgrade Price".... damn... I'm gonna have to wait...
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee," AT&T's message to eligible iPhone owners reads.

Frack - I wish they would do this here in Belgium too. I will have to shell out about 650 for the new iPhone. And pay 15 a month for a meagre 200MB data plan
post #23 of 53
huh; mine says:

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee." (emphasis added)

Pretty sweet, wonder if that's because I'm a "corporate" customer--signed up through my university on the employee plans (I was on a fellowship, so I was actually getting a paycheck from the university, not sure if it would work for regular university students). Of course, I'd gladly pay the $18, but not having to is even better.
post #24 of 53
Sorry newbie question. I'm not eligible until next February so I'd have to buy the phone at full price. But my girlfriend is eligible, so couldn't I just buy the phone under her number and then use it for myself?

And when they say subsidized does that mean the phone is $100 less? $200 less? Free?
post #25 of 53
Quote:

Mine will be lower. And I am a heavy user
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldpizza View Post

Sorry newbie question. I'm not eligible until next February so I'd have to buy the phone at full price. But my girlfriend is eligible, so couldn't I just buy the phone under her number and then use it for myself?

And when they say subsidized does that mean the phone is $100 less? $200 less? Free?

You should probably take that up with her, not us.
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyShawn View Post

huh; mine says:

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee." (emphasis added)

Pretty sweet, wonder if that's because I'm a "corporate" customer--signed up through my university on the employee plans (I was on a fellowship, so I was actually getting a paycheck from the university, not sure if it would work for regular university students). Of course, I'd gladly pay the $18, but not having to is even better.

Mine says the same thing, but I switched to AT&T in October 2008 when I got the iPhone 3G. Although, I did also call up customer service when I got my first bill and asked them to waive the $36 initial activation fee, and they did. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
post #28 of 53
I checked last week via the "eligibility" link on Apple's iPhone webpage and found I would have to pay the full unsubsidized price to replace my 3G. Checked again last night and found I now qualify for the subsidized price--at least for the only upgrade available at that time: the 3Gs.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #29 of 53
In my case, while the subsidized upgrade offer became available in mid-May (about 18 months into my contract), an on-line query at the AT&T Web site at that time cited the $18 upgrade fee. Today I used the *639# call on my iPhone and the text message I got back said the upgrade was available, but with the upgrade fee waived. A re-check on-line still said that the fee would apply. I spoke to Customer Support, reported the inconsistency, and was told that, indeed, in my case the upgrade would be waived.) So if you should do an upgrade, I’d suggest you check first and ensure whether the fee would be waived—and have that noted in your record if told it would be waived.

And in response to OnlyShawn's wonder (message #23), I’m neither a corporate nor a high-payment customer. (I’ve paid just the minimum service amount since my contract began.)
post #30 of 53
Mine's up in mid-October. Message said they'd waive the $18 upgrade fee.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #31 of 53
Quote:

Yes, you can switch phones. Neither Apple nor AT&T care who uses which. Just make sure you treat her well so you don't have an ugly custody fight down the road.

The price is about doubled: $199 becomes $399, something like that. I'm sure others can correct me and be more accurate.

Welcome, newbie!
post #32 of 53
Any change you make to your cell plan will require you to sign a new 2 year contract. It's a standard practice with cell providers in the US.

If you opt to upgrade early, you will get a new contract from the day you sign it, going forward for 2 years from the new signing date.

You can retain your unlimited data plan on your new phone. If you ever lapse in your payments to the point that you lose your plan, or opt to move to another plan, you would most likely not be able to get the unlimited plan back.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #33 of 53
..."You may qualify on /2/17/11" ... bastards! "We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2 yr commitment and a 18 dollar fee..." blah blah blah

anyone know what the 'discount' was last time around?
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You should probably take that up with her, not us.

I meant use her number when I buy the phone since she is eligible. Then I would put my SIM card in it of course.
post #35 of 53
Quote:

Not here....I have 3 iphones on my account now...all will go down to the $15 plan. That'll save me $45 a month. SWEET!
post #36 of 53
Quote:

I meant use her number when I buy the phone since she is eligible. Then I would put my SIM card in it of course.

They have no problems doing that. I've had them do that for just about every upgrade beyond my first iPhone. Just tell them which number you want to go to which person and they'll do the rest.
post #37 of 53
I had checked my account just Friday and no joy.

Today, I can upgrade! Weeeeeeee!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Not here....I have 3 iphones on my account now...all will go down to the $15 plan. That'll save me $45 a month. SWEET!

Here either. I will be seriously considering buying an iPhone for the first time because of the new data rate plans.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #39 of 53
but am eligible now, but the phone probably wont be in the stores until my original day anyways

Interesting tho, is that you can still access to order an iPhone on Apple's site. I thought it would have been down today.
post #40 of 53
I found some sunglasses in a box. When I put them on the text message from AT&T reads differently.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T updates iPhone upgrade dates for more customers