or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils redesigned, thinner iPhone 4 with two cameras

Apple unveils redesigned, thinner iPhone 4 with two cameras

post #1 of 508
Calling it the biggest leap since the original iPhone, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs introduced the new iPhone on Monday, complete with an all-new, thinner design, camera flash, front-facing camera, a second noise-canceling microphone, and a gyroscope for six-axis motion sensing.

Availability

The new hardware arrives on June 24, while preorders begin on June 15. It is available in the same prices and capacities as last year's model: $199 for 16GB, and $299 for 32GB. The iPhone 3GS will be available for $99. The hardware is available in both black and white.

"iPhone 4 is the biggest leap since the original iPhone," Jobs said. "FaceTime video calling sets a new standard for mobile communication, and our new Retina display is the highest resolution display ever in a phone, with text looking like it does on a fine printed page. We have been dreaming about both of these breakthroughs for decades."

Design

Jobs boasted that the new iPhone is beyond any consumer product that's ever been seen, only 9.3mm thick and 24 percent thinner than the iPhone 3GS, making it the "thinnest smartphone on the planet."

Jobs said that the structure of the phone is now connected to the antennas, improving the reception of the iPhone with its stainless steel border.

"I don't think there's another consumer product like this," Jobs said. "When you hold this in your hands, it's unbelievable."

Created from a unique alloy, then forged to be five times stronger than standard steel, the CNC-machined band is the mounting point for all the components of iPhone 4. The band provides impressive structural rigidity and allows for its thin, refined design. It also functions as both iPhone 4 antennas.

As revealed in the prototype device obtained months ago, the hardware has an LED camera flash, a micro-SIM slot, and new flat back and front.

The front and back are made of aluminosilcate glass, chemically strengthened to be 30 times harder than plastic, more scratch resistant and more durable than ever. The front and back glass have an oil-resistant coating that helps keep it clean, and encircling iPhone 4 is a highly finished stainless steel band made of a custom alloy that is forged to be five times stronger than standard steel.

Display

The new device also has four times as many pixels in the same amount of space, providing for sharper text and more accurate colors through what Apple has dubbed "retina display." The new device has a display with 326 pixels per inch, beyond the display capabilities of the human retina, Jobs said.

"Once you use a Retina Display, you can't go back," he said.

Network issues prevented Jobs from showing the website for The New York Times to demonstrate the display, but he did display new photos from the device. When Jobs turned to Scott Forstall, senior vice president for iPhone software, for ideas, someone in the audience suggested they try the Verizon network.

The new display is 960 by 640 pixels, with an 800-to-1 contrast ratio. Like the iPad, it also has an LCD screen with IPS technology for superior viewing angles. Jobs said IPS is a better option than OLED.

"We think this is going to set the standard for the next several years," Jobs said.

Internals

The new hardware also has a larger battery that offers longer uptime, including 7 hours of talk time 3G, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hours of video, 40 hours of music, and 300 hours of standby.

A new two-axis gyroscope, combined with the iPhone's accelerometer, will offer "much more precise movement," Jobs said. He demonstrated it by showing a Jenga-style application with a stack of wood in a 3D space, and turning had the image adjust accordingly.

The hardware also has the A4 processor found in the iPad, and has a second microphone for noise canceling.

Dual cameras

The iPhone 4 also includes a whole-new camera system that includes LED flash with a 5 megapixel lens that records HD video. The new rear camera will record 720p video at 30 frames per second. Users can also use built-in video editing to trim their HD clips right on the phone.

The handset's forward facing camera can be used for video chat with the application FaceTime, allowing users to see someone using another iPhone 4 as they talk to them. Videos can also be edited using the new iMovie application, which will cost $4.99 on the App Store.

Accessories

Apple will release its first official case for its handset with the iPhone 4. Called a "bumper," it will cover the stainless steel perimeter of the handset and is available in six colors, including white and black to match the options on the device itself. The bumper costs $29.

Apple will also have a new dock to match the new iPhone 4 hardware. It will also cost $29.
post #2 of 508
once again the rest of the market will have to catch up. certain specs will probably be better on other phones, but as we saw with the original engadget leak the next gen iphone raises the bar for electronics design.

i wonder if there are any other devices using this screen yet.
post #3 of 508
Photo please? How does it compare with the Gizmodo and other leasks. My prediction before was that there might be significant difference, The text seems to suggest exactly like the proptype? Or, the critical differences are more internet -- based from what was being stated in the presentation.

CGC
post #4 of 508
"When Jobs turned to Scott Forstall, senior vice president for iPhone software, for ideas, someone in the audience suggested they try the Verizon network."

I would have paid to hear that
post #5 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Photo please? How does it compare with the Gizmodo and other leasks. My prediction before was that there might be significant difference, Or, more internet based from what was being stated in the presentation.

CGC

Jobs mentioned that you may have already seen it, so I would assume it's pretty much the same.
post #6 of 508
From what I can see, it is 100% the same as the leaked photos. They even explained what the seams are for.
post #7 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Jobs mentioned that you may have already seen it, so I would assume it's pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's, from what I can see, is 100% the same. They even explained what the seams are for.

Reading the "livecast", seems more exciting based on the features jobs was describing. Really tempted to buy now. I just wish AT&T has better plans.

I am supposed to be finishing stuff for my trip on Wednesday, but cannot keep away.

CGC
post #8 of 508
They said they found 570 Wi-Fi base stations running in the room

They just asked the bloggers to turn em off. Sounds like a revolt in the making. Really not a big deal. So folks will have to wait a bit longer to get the details, or better yet, why don't they just use 3g?

[edit] : Some are doing just that. Switching to 3G to work around the issue.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #9 of 508
The gyroscope, overall thinness of the device, and using the casing as the antenna, it all seems to be what sets this phone apart, but the way Jobs described this thing talking about how nothing on the market comes close, that's laughable.

Look, it's got all the latest and greatest (like a high res screen, 720 HD video recording, a front facing camera) but the evo can be directly compared to this thing.

It really irritates me when someone like Jobs or Ballmer acts like people don't know what else is on the market when they say there's nothing like their product.

Overall, this is a good evolution of the iphone. Still not as revolutionary as the first though.
post #10 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

"When Jobs turned to Scott Forstall, senior vice president for iPhone software, for ideas, someone in the audience suggested they try the Verizon network."

Yeah no kidding. I love that
post #11 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Really tempted to buy now.

I ain't tempted, I am sold.
post #12 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Overall, this is a good evolution of the iphone. Still not as revolutionary as the first though.

Can't have revolution every minute. An ecoystem needs to find an equilibrium.

Finally, the shortened the name of the OS => iOS. They should do the same for the iPod Touch.

Quote:

The place where we are setting up a business in California, they are applying for a Google "all city wired" program, if that gets approved, no need for data plan anymore. I wish that is optional. At least it would be good for the iPad.

Livecast:
iBooks features are getting better. I really like that. If I know how to create the Apps there are a number of education projects I wish to create for the iPad, mainly.

CGC
post #13 of 508
Quote:

Many people did.
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #14 of 508
Quote:

To which Steve Jobs replied, "Well, we're on Wi-fi here." Ohh, Smack!
post #15 of 508
sorry, but a 2-axis gyro plus a 3-axis accelerometer does not equal a 6-axis sensor package, as this article claimed. I develop flight software around these sensors everyday. I also develop iPhone apps (ShatterBall, BalloonMaker) and I was REALLY hoping for a 6 degree of freedom sensor package.
post #16 of 508
How many times is "revolution" supposed to happen?

Quote:

post #17 of 508
When can I get one? I want one now!
post #18 of 508
Quote:

The gyroscope, overall thinness of the device, and using the casing as the antenna, it all seems to be what sets this phone apart, but the way Jobs described this thing talking about how nothing on the market comes close, that's laughable.

Look, it's got all the latest and greatest (like a high res screen, 720 HD video recording, a front facing camera) but the evo can be directly compared to this thing.

It really irritates me when someone like Jobs or Ballmer acts like people don't know what else is on the market when they say there's nothing like their product.

Unlike the landfill-destined Android phones, this iPhone is a seriously polished hardware/software combo. It works, and Apple's borderline-clinical attention to detail is what will continue to keep the iPhone the platinum-standard for everyone else to reach.

I'll take SJ's viewpoint of what the market is like anytime compared to your perception of it is.

And as usual, the rest of the competition is watching all the webcasts while their copy-machines are warming up. Why do any real R&D when they can get it for free from Apple?

Even with the iOS4 coming out, I'm willing to bet they already have an early prototype of iOS5 working deep in the caves of Apple Skunkwerks. They just bring shame to the competition.

I'm sold. The moment it's available - and the waiting lines dissipate - I'm getting one! My trusty 2g iPhone will happily retire as a iPod Touch.
post #19 of 508
— 802.11n was expected. Glad to see it's here.

— Glad to see Apple didn't kowtow to marketing hype by adding excessive pixels that are smaller while ignoring the rest of the camera components. Can't wait to see the 8Mpx EVO 4G camera up against the 5Mpx iPhone 4.

— I can't believe I never even considered the break in the frame was due to it being two antennas.

— The statement of A4 without the 1GHz clockspeed that was stated with the iPad tells me it's underclocked.

— 2+ hours of 3G talk time; 1+ hour for WiFi and 3G browsing; 10+ hours for audio playback. It stayed at 10 hours for video playback, but with an IPS display at 4x the pixels that is a solid achievement.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #20 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkB4Utalk View Post

sorry, but a 2-axis gyro plus a 3-axis accelerometer does not equal a 6-axis sensor package, as this article claimed. I develop flight software around these sensors everyday. I also develop iPhone apps (ShatterBall, BalloonMaker) and I was REALLY hoping for a 6 degree of freedom sensor package.

The article has it wrong. According to the projection behind Steve Jobs, as shown on Engadget, it's a 3-Axis gyroscope.
post #21 of 508
I was hoping to see a new notifications system or widget system. Maybe next time.
post #22 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkb4utalk View Post

sorry, but a 2-axis gyro plus a 3-axis accelerometer does not equal a 6-axis sensor package, as this article claimed. I develop flight software around these sensors everyday. I also develop iphone apps (shatterball, balloonmaker) and i was really hoping for a 6 degree of freedom sensor package.

3 + 3 = 6
post #23 of 508
Has there been any news about the release date for the phone?
Michael
Michael
post #24 of 508
Happy to see they actually have engineers who understand how photography works, instead of the marketing department using making the choices.

The backlight system he describes is correct. More pixels is good but you also need more light as you add more pixels. Most phone manufacturers add more pixels which decreases the amount of light each pixel can gather. They use other tricks to make up the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Glad to see Apple didn't kowtow to marketing hype by adding excessive pixels that are smaller while ignoring the rest of the camera components. Can't wait to see the 8Mpx EVO 4G camera up against the 5Mpx iPhone 4.
post #25 of 508
LOL Gyroscope. Nasa will soon be able to replace space shuttle avionics with an iPhone. Assuming there is an app for that.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #26 of 508
Quote:

I can't believe I never even considered the break in the frame was due to it being two antennas.

I had a suspicion about the seams being for reception. It figures since IMHO Apple would not add such a visual break for the sake of design, so it had to have some kind of functional application for it. It's not their (current) design style.

Quote:

The statement of A4 without the 1GHz clockspeed that was stated with the iPad tells me it's underclocked.

I would not be surprised if it is underclocked. Unlike the iPad, this is a phone first and to most users, the battery life will be much more important that sheer horsepower. I believe even in its underclocked state, it will be more than fast enough to handle whatever is thrown at it.

This is what the competition just does not get or refuses to believe. An android phone would be useless to me if the battery conks out after a couple hours. I could care less what the over-the-top hardware specs are if it cannot do the basic stuff to my satisfaction.
post #27 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Unlike the landfill-destined Android phones, this iPhone is a seriously polished hardware/software combo. It works, and Apple's borderline-clinical attention to detail is what will continue to keep the iPhone the platinum-standard for everyone else to reach.

I'll take SJ's viewpoint of what the market is like anytime compared to your perception of it is.

And as usual, the rest of the competition is watching all the webcasts while their copy-machines are warming up. Why do any real R&D when they can get it for free from Apple?

Even with the iOS4 coming out, I'm willing to bet they already have an early prototype of iOS5 working deep in the caves of Apple Skunkwerks. They just bring shame to the competition.

I'm sold. The moment it's available - and the waiting lines dissipate - I'm getting one! My trusty 2g iPhone will happily retire as a iPod Touch.

To be fair, there are a few things that have been shown that the competitors have already done. What Apple has done is polished it up and better integrated it to the OS. Not to say the iPhone 4 (now that we finally know the name ) doesn't have great specs, but wasn't anything there that made me look at my current phone in disgust. Difference of opinions in the end.

I am interested in the gyroscope though. Would have loved to see a live video of that demo in action.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #28 of 508
Quote:

I would have kicked out the person who yelled that out and then banned who he is with.
post #29 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkB4Utalk View Post

The backlight system he describes is correct. More pixels is good but you also need more light as you add more pixels. Most phone manufacturers add more pixels which decreases the amount of light each pixel can gather. They use other tricks to make up the difference.

It looks like the screen is dimmer than the older iPhones though, if the pictures he displayed during the conference is any indication.
post #30 of 508
Video calling now a reality...wow FaceTime

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #31 of 508
Do the iAds created by Quattro work only for the iOS Apps, or will they be applicable also for the website for regular internet broswing?

It would be good if they venture into ordinary websites also, not just iOS. I was tempted to place some Google Ads in some sites, but I just do not like the policies of Google. Too many junk ads, some very dubious.

I guess no other carrier in the US, this time around?

CGC
post #32 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

LOL Gyroscope. Nasa will soon be able to replace space shuttle avionics with an iPhone. Assuming there is an app for that.

that would be epic lol

Actually the idea of astronauts using an ipod touch or ipad is probably the closest thing to star trek that we'll see.
post #33 of 508
On sale June 24th

post #34 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I would have kicked out the person who yelled that out and then banned who he is with.

Why? No free thought allowed?

I think if there hadn't been so many rumors about it, the person wouldn't have even said it. There's just so much talk about a cdma iphone for Verizon though.
post #35 of 508
... and where are all of those 'Apple would never design something that looks like that lost iPhone' naysayers from last month now?

Anyway... Nice job Apple, though a larger display would have been better.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #36 of 508
Quote:

But Apple can release just one phone a year that will out sell 10 phones by HTC in the same period.
HTC can kiss my a**. By the end of the year HTC will have dropped another 40 phones onto the market while Iphone coast along kicking major tail.
Apple is in a league all its own.
Don't ever mention Apple and HTC in the same breath. LOL!
post #37 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Calling it the biggest leap since the original iPhone, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs introduced the new iPhone on Monday,

It looks great.

I wonder if the gyro will be used to as much advantage as the compass and accelerometer? It looks totally cool.
post #38 of 508
Quote:

Why? No free thought allowed?

Free thought yes. Free speaking? Nope. He wants to speak, he can do it at his own show.
post #39 of 508
I am really excited about it -- if it was onsale today (instead of June 24), I would go get it now. rright now. Just ditch the meeting I have in 7 min and go.

but it isn't, so I'm gonna whine about my one complaint:

only 32G. I waited 2 years and only am getting 32G. The touch has had 64G for a year; I'd cheerfully pay an extra $50 for 64G.

(grumble, grumble)
post #40 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I would not be surprised if it is underclocked. Unlike the iPad, this is a phone first and to most users, the battery life will be much more important that sheer horsepower. I believe even in its underclocked state, it will be more than fast enough to handle whatever is thrown at it.

412MHz ARM11 to a 600MHz Cortex A8 was noticeable improvement. Going from Cortex A8 to idealized Cortex A8 as an A4, even at the same speed would show a noticeable improvement if the OS was designed for the HW, which we know it is. I speculate that it's likely around 800MHz and very fast.

Even with the battery increases and these times besting real world use of other smartphones I would like to see these times at least doubled. I can't stand how battery tech seemingly moves so slowly compared to the rest of the industry.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils redesigned, thinner iPhone 4 with two cameras