or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Banksy US tour 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Banksy US tour 2010 - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Here's an experiment "performance art/installation" suggestion for Banksy:

Paint a "Support the Troops" mural on one wall, complete with patriotic themes, images of the flag etc, and a piece of your "regular" art on another in a high visibility area in fairly close proximity to each other. Set up 2 video cameras, one trained on each image (set to, say, 2 frames a minute to cater for possible long time periods) to capture the reactions of the local authorities, and how long it takes for each image to get wiped.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Here's an experiment "performance art/installation" suggestion for Banksy:

Paint a "Support the Troops" mural on one wall, complete with patriotic themes, images of the flag etc, and a piece of your "regular" art on another in a high visibility area in fairly close proximity to each other. Set up 2 video cameras, one trained on each image (set to, say, 2 frames a minute to cater for possible long time periods) to capture the reactions of the local authorities, and how long it takes for each image to get wiped.


Wait...you mean someone might be more inclined to allow patriotic messages to stay than say, non-patriotic ones? Surely you jest! Everything...literally everything is either a conspiracy or commentary on authority with you.

Here's an example. Please react to the following term. Ready? Good.

"Cheeseburger."


<sits back and watches>
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #43 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I don't deny that such a dynamic exists. But this still comes back around to the claim that sammi_jo appears to be making which amounts to assuming that people are basically mindless lemmings who have no real independent thought of their own.

I think a lot of them are.

Whether they HAVE to be or are kept in that state are really the questions.

Quote:
What you say is true. But your quarrel is with the fact the most people simply don't want them, for whatever reason. It might be previous conditioning (as you suggest above) or it might be that many or most of the people in the area you live simply don't like them.

Of course they don't like them. But the question is WHY? Because they are unresponsive to new or unfamiliar things. Which is not a natural state.

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not. I don't agree that you can market people into liking and wanting things they just don't want and like. There's a whole "marketing and advertising is basically brainwashing" theory out there that doesn't really ring true from what I can see. Yes, it does have an influence, I don't claim otherwise. But, fundamentally, if someone doesn't want or like something, you aren't going to con them into wanting or liking it through "proper marketing."

If what you say is true then Madison Avenue would be bust or never existed.

Quote:
Those that "administer and control the system?" Who are these?

I would see it as a sort of hive-mind. Leaders might emerge from time to time who are more fanatical than the next guy but essentially it's a subservience to the ideal rather than any form of individuals.

Quote:
Really? Who?

See above. Perhaps in this case factors rather than people also control - fear for example. Safety. Comfort. Desire to avoid the former and achieve the latter.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #44 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This thread cracks me up. As someone who's had a fair amount of experience with the Fine Arts, I just have to laugh at the whole "Look! Look how profound a statement this vagabond artist makes! I mean...it's just so interesting."

I think it's obvious, transparent, self-indulgent garbage. Wow! You painted "cancelled" over "follow your dreams." Now that's deep. Not sure I can keep up there, champ.

As one of my college professors once said: "The problem with modern music and art is that it takes no talent to create it."

It's not the art or the message - though the message is apt and the art is accomplished - but rather it is the context.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Wait...you mean someone might be more inclined to allow patriotic messages to stay than say, non-patriotic ones? Surely you jest! Everything...literally everything is either a conspiracy or commentary on authority with you.

I don't *know* what the result would be... as I am not aware of anything similar. But, as I suggested, it would be an interesting "experiment" to see if there was any difference in the way the different images were regarded by the PTB, as regards "acceptability". That is why I asked.

Quote:
Here's an example. Please react to the following term. Ready? Good.

"Cheeseburger."

Made with what? Real organically raised beef, or Monsanto's Frankenfood? Veggieburger version? Cheese made with real milk, or BGH/antibiotic laced poison? My reaction would differ according to that, and more.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I think a lot of them are.

Whether they HAVE to be or are kept in that state are really the questions.

Maybe. And, if it is so, what is the reason for this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Of course they don't like them. But the question is WHY?

Who cares? Why does it matter? Are you willing to simply respect the fact that some (even a lot of) people simply don't like things that you do (or think they should) or do like things that you don't (or think they shouldn't)?


Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Because they are unresponsive to new or unfamiliar things. Which is not a natural state.

According to who? Frankly, this is really starting to sound like you just don't like the fact that lots of people don't like things that you think they should like. Or you're upset that they don't or won't even try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

If what you say is true then Madison Avenue would be bust or never existed.

Non sequitur.


Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I would see it as a sort of hive-mind. Leaders might emerge from time to time who are more fanatical than the next guy but essentially it's a subservience to the ideal rather than any form of individuals.

See above. Perhaps in this case factors rather than people also control - fear for example. Safety. Comfort. Desire to avoid the former and achieve the latter.

You seem to be hand waving here.

If you're really saying it is "sort of hive-mind" then there isn't really anyone "in control" in the classical sense (which your previous statement implies). To some degree the market does represent a "hive mind" in that it is, in aggregate, represents the collective needs, desires, wishes and will of the consumers. But this still runs counter to the typical notion of what is meant by "those in control" which suggests some small cabal of decision-makers whose will we are all subject to. In the marketplace I don't see a great deal of evidence supporting that kind of claim and much against it. In contrast, if you are speak of governmental actions, then I would agree that we have "those in control" who are often making decisions and pre-selecting choices for the masses.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #47 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Maybe. And, if it is so, what is the reason for this?

Economics. Kind of the philosophy of the pusher...keep 'em hooked.

Quote:
Who cares?

Not many people I would think. Only those that are interested in how things work and the reality behind appearances, those who don't take consensus reality as the 'Gospel Truth'.

Obviously this is very few people. Goes without saying.

I'm more interested inn why you feel the need to interject that here - it's a given and a very odd thing to bring up in a debate where it is a moot point.

Quote:
According to who? Frankly, this is really starting to sound like you just don't like the fact that lots of people don't like things that you think they should like. Or you're upset that they don't or won't even try.

Not at all. I like to look deeper than the surface. I appreciate you don't - that's ok too.

Quote:
Non sequitur.

What do you think that Latin phrase means?

Quote:
You seem to be hand waving here.

I was too far out all my life.....

Quote:
If you're really saying it is "sort of hive-mind" then there isn't really anyone "in control" in the classical sense (which your previous statement implies). To some degree the market does represent a "hive mind" in that it is, in aggregate, represents the collective needs, desires, wishes and will of the consumers. But this still runs counter to the typical notion of what is meant by "those in control" which suggests some small cabal of decision-makers whose will we are all subject to. In the marketplace I don't see a great deal of evidence supporting that kind of claim and much against it. In contrast, if you are speak of governmental actions, then I would agree that we have "those in control" who are often making decisions and pre-selecting choices for the masses.

Sometimes someone takes control. though they are themselves controlled.

In terms of government you have a good example now in your current incumbent. He starts out with one set of policies but realizes that these need to be changed when in power.

So his actions will accord more and more to the opposite of his previous stated beliefs. He has to do this because the Office of President is really the expression of the people and is never Republican or Democrat...

That is window dressing. Really he must echo the mood of the populace or he will be out. And the next guy must echo it or he will not be in.

No one is driving.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Economics. Kind of the philosophy of the pusher...keep 'em hooked.

Economics is the reason why people are basically mindless lemmings who have no real independent thought of their own?


Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Not at all. I like to look deeper than the surface. I appreciate you don't - that's ok too.

Cute.


Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

What do you think that Latin phrase means?

I know what it means. Do you?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Of course they don't like them. But the question is WHY? Because they are unresponsive to new or unfamiliar things. Which is not a natural state.

Do you have children? Have you had children? Try to give any young child (baby particularly) something new to eat. 8 out of 10 will resist and refuse until they are hungry enough. Seems like a natural state to me.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #50 of 55
I wuz thinnkin ov startin a neuw thred fore this but i think is bad as is advertyzin my art...may bee we cann expanned this one for ovver art?

Here sumfins I did...





post #51 of 55
Thread Starter 
Banksy creates new Simpsons Intro
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Banksy creates new Simpsons Intro



eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Uh huh.

It's rather ironic that you would choose something like food or a restaurant as the basis to counter my claim given that, in America at least, this is one area where, at least from my observation, there is a vast array of choices in price, quality, cuisine, service levels, ambiance, etc. That's just in the realm of prepared food service establishments (restaurants). It doesn't even include the many other options that are available in super market, etc.

In America, you can get the crappy version of any worldwide cuisine that you want (Except for the food in NYC, which is the better version of any worldwide cuisine, but at wallet busting prices).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #54 of 55
Thread Starter 
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #55 of 55
Thread Starter 
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Banksy US tour 2010