or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple drops 'phone' from its mobile OS for new name: iOS 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple drops 'phone' from its mobile OS for new name: iOS 4

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- including the iPod touch and iPad -- Apple announced on Monday that it has renamed its mobile operating system to iOS 4, coming for free June 21 for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod touch.

iOS 4

Calling iOS 4 "the most advanced mobile operating system in the world," Apple co-founder Steve Jobs announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote that Apple was renaming the software. He also reintroduced some of the features unveiled earlier this year, including multitasking.

In a change from the past, it will be a free update for eligible iPod touch users (iOS 4 is not available for the first-generation device) when the operating system arrives on June 21 -- three days before the launch of iPhone 4.

After asking attendees to turn off their laptops and portable Wi-Fi hotspots in order to get a working connection, Jobs demonstrated the ability of the iOS to run Pandora in the background to stream Internet radio.

Jobs also showed off the unified inbox in the phone's Mail application, as well as threaded messages.

The chief executive also put applications into automatically created folders, as had been revealed in the initial unveiling of the new operating system. Folders can be renamed, and they can also be placed in the dock.

iOS 4 also adds support for Microsoft Bing for search, although Google will remain the default option. Jobs touted that Bing uses HTML5 for its mobile search results.

This month, Apple expects to sell its 100 millionth iOS-based device. Jobs said that shows that there is a large market for developers to make a profit.

The golden master candidate of iOS 4 is available for developers beginning immediately.

iAds

Also a part of iOS 4 is iAds, Apple's mobile advertising network. Developers are paid through iTunes Connect, just like with applications, and can add the ads in an afternoon, Jobs said.

"iAd offers advertisers the emotion of TV with the interactivity of the web, and offers users a new way to explore ads without being hijacked out of their favorite apps," Jobs said. "iAds will reach millions of iPhone and iPod touch usersa highly desirable demographic for advertisersand provide developers a new way to earn money so they can continue developing free and low cost applications."

Apple has been selling 8 weeks of ads and has major clients including Nissan, Citibank, Sears, AT&T, GE, Best Buy, Target, Disney and more. The demonstration also included a Nissan advertisement for an electric car.

"iAd will allow Citi to reach millions of people on their iPhone and iPod touch," said Lisa Caputo, executive vice president and CMO, Citigroup. "iAd gives us a remarkable level of creativity for creating ads to connect with our current and future customers in a more interactive style than ever before."

The iAd network will be turned on July 1, and advertisers have already committed $60 million for the second half of 2010, which give make Apple 48 percent of the mobile advertising market. It will require users to upgrade to iOS 4.

"iAd is going to revolutionize mobile advertising," said Rob Master, North American media director, Unilever. "With iAd, weve been able to create some of our most powerful and compelling ads ever. iAd is the perfect mobile format to reach and engage with our customers."
post #2 of 66
It's about time.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- including the iPod touch and iPad

Shouldn't this be "Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- only the iPod touch and iPad" rather than "including", which makes it seem as if there are more non-phone devices than only these?
post #4 of 66
"Jobs touted that Bing uses HTML5 for its mobile search results."

Hey look at that. Microsoft is doing what they need to do to play nice with others, and not bicker about a bunch of shit that ultimately effects the consumer in a negative way
post #5 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Shouldn't this be "Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- only the iPod touch and iPad" rather than "including", which makes it seem as if there are more non-phone devices than only these?

Well the iWatch is scheduled to debut today. Also the iSneakers, iCheese grater, and of course, the iMicrowave. All of which will run iOS
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Shouldn't this be "Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- only the iPod touch and iPad" rather than "including", which makes it seem as if there are more non-phone devices than only these?

Perhaps a new Apple TV device?
post #7 of 66
Lawsuit from Cisco incoming in 3, 2, 1...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_IOS
post #8 of 66
Apple really doesn't care about trademarks. They just plow ahead and pay their way along. It's a good strategy for speed to market, if you can afford it.

As a side note, I called the need for a new OS name a couple of months ago on AI.
post #9 of 66
Yay for the new mail app. Finally I can have conversation on my iPod!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuller View Post

Lawsuit from Cisco incoming in 3, 2, 1...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_IOS

iphone used to be cisco's phone name... somehow apple persuaded cisco to give it to them... hope this time apple will pull it off again... but it is again a time to do free advertising for cisco...
post #11 of 66
YAY! Its a free upgrade for iPod touch users! Finally!
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Perhaps a new Apple TV device?

Yeah, that was my thinking also, especially with the google tv thingy coming about.
It may still be a "hobby" but hobbies are meant to be experimented/played with to see what you can come up with.
post #13 of 66
apple.com US site is still not coming up with new iphone 4, but apple.com.cn is.

http://www.apple.com.cn/iphone/featu...l#design-video
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's about time.

I feel sorry for apple personal responsible for development guides, references and documentation. Do you know how big a deal is to get all the volumes of documentation up to date with this announcement of this new os name.
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

apple.com US site is still not coming up with new iphone 4, but apple.com.cn is.

http://www.apple.com.cn/iphone/featu...l#design-video

www.apple.com has iPhone 4: this changes everything. again.
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuller View Post

Lawsuit from Cisco incoming in 3, 2, 1...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_IOS


IBM may want to get in on that as well with its i/OS
post #17 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuller View Post

Lawsuit from Cisco incoming in 3, 2, 1...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_IOS

Yep...exactly what I was thinking. Cisco has been using IOS for YEARS......

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #18 of 66
Use of iOS name may cause some problems. IOS is Cisco System's operating system for its network products.
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuller View Post

Lawsuit from Cisco incoming in 3, 2, 1...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_IOS

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe not...

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-d...used-by-cisco/

Apple has apparently also garnered the name FaceTime from the eponymous company.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #20 of 66
These other companies will go along with this. Generally, their trademarks aren't comparable in that their products don't compete in the same space, or because they aren't well known enough.

I don't know how many of you were around back then to remember when Apple was sued because of OS 9. But the court ruled that Apple could use it, even though both products were OS's, because they didn't compete for the same customers.

iOS is a natural for this. It's easy and simple to remember, and it will look good as a logo.
post #21 of 66
Pffffffffft..... Cisco. IBM. You don't think Apple thought of those before this?

The deals are already done, I'll bet.

If not, you know that Apple wouldn't make an announcement like this without being almost entirely sure that the name will stick.
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Yep...exactly what I was thinking. Cisco has been using IOS for YEARS......

They have both Cisco iOS and iOS trademarked.

http://scc.cisco.com/web/siteassets/...trademark.html The question is, does the capitalization make a difference or can it be argued that since both OSes only come with specific HW and for very different uses, thus it isn't confusing to users.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 66
IPhone OS to iOS. iTunes to? Please?!
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They have both Cisco iOS and iOS trademarked.

•*

http://scc.cisco.com/web/siteassets/...trademark.html The question is, does the capitalization make a difference or can it be argued that since both OSes only come with specific HW and for very different uses, thus it isn't confusing to users.

I don't think the capitalization would matter in this instance. We are talking about an operating system. Infringement would still be infringement even if you used Windows 7 or windows 7. It would be very confusing to the rest of the world between IOS from Ciscos routers and switches to iOS for Apple's new operating system for their mobile devices.
I think Cisco will sue then Apple will settle. It seems Apple has done this a few times already.......if memory serves me right.....
EDIT:
Do you think Apple would sue if someone tried to use iphone vs iPhone?

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #25 of 66
eye, aye, I, i

talk about wearing something out :rolls eyes:
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

IPhone OS to iOS. iTunes to? Please?!

My thoughts exactly...
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- including the iPod touch and iPad -- Apple announced on Monday that it has renamed its mobile operating system to iOS 4, coming for freeJune 21 for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod touch.

iOS 4

Calling it "the most advanced mobile operating system in the world," ...

This is all well and good, but why is Canada being left out of the release?

Most of us live within 20 minutes of the US border but we had to wait months for the iPad and now we will get the new iPhone 4 months later than everyone else? Why does the UK and Germany get it the same time as the USA, and Canada gets it the same time as Uzbekistan?

It's really getting noticeable how Apple screws over the Canadian market lately. I guess they assume we'll all drive down there? What about those of us that can't/don't drive?
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I don't think the capitalization would matter in this instance. We are talking about an operating system. Infringement would still be infringement even if you used Windows 7 or windows 7. It would be very confusing to the rest of the world between IOS from Ciscos routers and switches to iOS for Apple's new operating system for their mobile devices.
I think Cisco will sue then Apple will settle. It seems Apple has done this a few times already.......if memory serves me right.....
EDIT:
Do you think Apple would sue if someone tried to use iphone vs iPhone?

It's not confusing at all. It's fine to Google iOS and come up with this stuff, but no one here had heard of these other uses before the question of an iOS came up when a few of us began to urge the use of it a few months ago when the iPad was announced.

Honestly, if you got 100 computer geeks in a room and asked how many knew the name of Cisco's router OS, almost none would raise their hands.

If you did that with the intended customer base for these Apple products, no one would raise their hands. That's the basis the courts go by.

Same thing when TigerDirect sued Apple over the name of the Tiger OS. People buying Apple's Tiger, for the most part, never heard of the sales company.
post #29 of 66
So is Apple at least going do an iOS 3.x update for original iPhone/iPod Touch early adopters to give some new features?! What about security updates? They are still VERY capable devices, and it would be sad to see iOS updates die for every iOS device after JUST three years!

Do original iPhone/iPod Touch users need to switch their idevices' OS to Android, just to get OS updates?

http://www.dailytech.com/Hacker+Brin...ticle18331.htm
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

So is Apple at least going do an iOS 3.x update for original iPhone/iPod Touch early adopters to give some new features?! What about security updates? They are still VERY capable devices, and it would be sad to see iOS updates die for every iOS device after JUST three years!

Do original iPhone/iPod Touch users need to switch their phones to Android, just to get OS updates?

http://www.dailytech.com/Hacker+Brin...ticle18331.htm

Unbelievable. Apple stops supporting a device 3 years after it debuted and you are bitching. Name one other vendor that offered so many updates for so long on a fraken phone?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

iphone used to be cisco's phone name... somehow apple persuaded cisco to give it to them... hope this time apple will pull it off again... but it is again a time to do free advertising for cisco...

There is no way Cisco is going to give up the IOS name. Apple, certainly, will claim that IOS and iOS are two distinct spellings, and Cisco will insist that there is a chance of brand confusion between IOS and iOS.

IOS runs on virtually every Cisco SMB and enterprise product, so there is just no chance in hell that they would ever let this one slide. It is possible that the court will allow Apple to use iOS while Cisco continues using IOS, but why create this confusion? Whereas there is a difference in spelling, there is no difference in pronunciation. Why not call it iMobileOS instead?
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's really getting noticeable how Apple screws over the Canadian market lately. I guess they assume we'll all drive down there? What about those of us that can't/don't drive?

Maybe they assume you'll hop on a bus for a daytrip to the US. No clue.
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

There is no way Cisco is going to give up the IOS name. Apple, certainly, will claim that IOS and iOS are two distinct spellings, and Cisco will insist that there is a chance of brand confusion between IOS and iOS.

IOS runs on virtually every Cisco SMB and enterprise product, so there is just no chance in hell that they would ever let this one slide. It is possible that the court will allow Apple to use iOS while Cisco continues using IOS, but why create this confusion? Whereas there is a difference in spelling, there is no difference in pronunciation. Why not call it iMobileOS instead?

They don't have to give up the name. IOS for routers and iOS for consumer products not related to routers can co-exist happily.
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

eye, aye, I, i

talk about wearing something out :rolls eyes:

Very strongly agreed. Enough of the i's already.
post #35 of 66
It is HARDLY a phone, it is a micro-computer that has telephony...

Also, Apple still releases Safari/QuickTime/iTunes updates for their OS's for the last THREE versions, so will they be at least updating Safari/QuickTime/iTunes on original iPhone/iPod Touch devices on 3.x?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unbelievable. Apple stops supporting a device 3 years after it debuted and you are bitching. Name one other vendor that offered so many updates for so long on a fraken phone?
post #36 of 66
Is there any mention of syncing notes and tasks with Exchange server? Will the iPhone even sync To-do items from Apple's own iCal application?

I would like to see how "full" Apple's "full Activesync support" really is. Is there a list somewhere which compares all the features available in Microsoft Activesync vs. which features are actually supported in iPhone?
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is all well and good, but why is Canada being left out of the release?

Most of us live within 20 minutes of the US border but we had to wait months for the iPad and now we will get the new iPhone 4 months later than everyone else? Why does the UK and Germany get it the same time as the USA, and Canada gets it the same time as Uzbekistan?

It's really getting noticeable how Apple screws over the Canadian market lately. I guess they assume we'll all drive down there? What about those of us that can't/don't drive?

Ride a moose?
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

It is HARDLY a phone, it is a micro-computer that has telephony...

Also, Apple still releases Safari/QuickTime/iTunes updates for their OS's for the last THREE versions, so will they be at least updating Safari/QuickTime/iTunes on original iPhone/iPod Touch devices on 3.x?!

When the new OS outruns the ability of the old hardware to use it, then at that point, it won't be upgraded. Too much of the new OS's features won;t run on the 2G phone. Apple might have to have a special edition for it, and frankly after three years and four new models, it's being laid to rest. Next year, it will be my soon to be replaced 3G that won't be upgraded, I would think. That's really pretty good.

As far as I know the iPhone was the first phone that could get a true OS upgrade. Android phone owners are going through paroxysms over whether they will get an upgrade, and if so, when. That's even for new phones.

Apple is way ahead of the pack here.
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Because the iPhone OS runs on devices other than phones -- including the iPod touch and iPad -- Apple announced on Monday that it has renamed its mobile operating system to iOS 4,

Apple's priority should be in getting the whatever-it's-called OS WORKING on all those devices.

Look at the current situation we have on the ground. OS 3.1.x works on the iPhone and iPod touch. OS 3.2 is iPad-only. OS 4 will run on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G, but not the iPad (at first). WITF??? I'm a fanboy and even I can't keep this straight!

Imagine if Apple had dared "Leopard will run on 21" and 3.0ghz iMacs and most MacBooks, but not the Mac Pro or Mac mini. Snow Leopard will run on the Mac Pro but not the MacBook Air". Yes, it's that bad.

Apple, please decided what your OS is & where it'll run. Right now you're making a mess worthy of Microsoft.
post #40 of 66
Will the new iOS 4 allow users to change the font used in the Notes application to something more readable, such as Helvetica?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple drops 'phone' from its mobile OS for new name: iOS 4