or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support

Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support

post #1 of 185
Apple on Monday released Safari 5, the latest version of its desktop Web browser, with a 30 percent performance increase, the addition of Bing search and secure sandboxed extensions, as well as support for more than a dozen new HTML5 technologies.

The update is available for download from Apple's website or via Software Update on Mac OS X. Safari 5 is a 39.1MB update.

"Safari continues to lead the pack in performance, innovation and standards support," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Safari now runs on over 200 million devices worldwide and its open source WebKit engine runs on over 500 million devices."

Available for both Mac and Windows, Safari 5 includes improved developer tools and supports a number of new HTML5 technologies that allow developers to create rich, dynamic websites.

The latest version of Apple's Web browser also includes Safari Reader, which makes it easy to read single and multi-page articles on the web by presenting them in a new, scrollable view without any additional content or clutter. When Safari 5 detects an article, users can click on the Reader icon in the Smart Address Field to display the entire article for clear, uninterrupted reading with options to enlarge, print or send via email.

Powered by the Nitro JavaScript engine, Apple said Safari 5 on the Mac runs JavaScript 30 percent faster than Safari 4, three percent faster than Chrome 5.0, and over twice as fast as Firefox 3.6. Safari 5 loads new pages faster using Domain Name System (DNS) prefetching, and improves the caching of previously viewed pages to return to them more quickly.

Safari 5 adds more than a dozen powerful HTML5 features that allow web developers to create media-rich experiences, including full screen playback and closed captions for HTML5 video. Other new HTML5 features in Safari 5 include HTML5 Geolocation, HTML5 sectioning elements, HTML5 draggable attribute, HTML5 forms validation, HTML5 Ruby, HTML5 AJAX History, EventSource and WebSocket.

The new, free Safari Developer Program allows developers to customize and enhance Safari 5 with extensions based on standard web technologies like HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript. The Extension Builder, new in Safari 5, simplifies the development, installation and packaging of extensions. For enhanced security and stability, Safari Extensions are sandboxed, signed with a digital certificate from Apple and run solely in the browser.

The details match a support document published over the weekend that suggested the release of Safari 5 for Mac and Windows was imminent.
post #2 of 185
Because of Gizmodo this is actually much more exciting than the iPhone announcement and demos today.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #3 of 185
Who did they release it to? I am up to date according to software update.
post #4 of 185
Wish I could get it - first Update said new software was available and then a sheet pop'd that said "You up to date." Kinda like -- just foolin', he eh eh.
post #5 of 185
Makes me think, what are all the IE programmers doing at MS? Sleeping?
post #6 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Who did they release it to? I am up to date according to software update.

Me too!
post #7 of 185
No sign of it on apple's download site yet
post #8 of 185
Methinks Safari 5 is slower than Apple's press announcements.
post #9 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Methinks Safari 5 is slower than Apple's press announcements.

Not so snappy, then.
post #10 of 185
Roughly when was Safari 5 forked from Webkit? In other words, how much of rendering engine improvements in Safari 5 are already in the Webkit nightlies or the other way around, how much of what is in the current webkit nightly is incorporated in Safari 5?
post #11 of 185
Excited about the new HTML5 features. Adoption across websites might be quite slow, but all this new css stuff is GREAT for other applications that use WebKit and are themeable, such as Adium, Growl and Bowtie. Themes for these applications have really gone to the next level with the adoption of css3 goodness.
post #12 of 185
Wow, they snuck that in on us.

I was hoping their would be a presentation about creating HTML5 apps for iOS. But I guess it's not sexy enough for the keynote. I'm sure it will be disussed during the week.
post #13 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because of Gizmodo this is actually much more exciting than the iPhone announcement and demos today.

I thought the iPhone was quite a spectacular announcement. The iPhone is now one seriously polished product. Crossed all the boxes and a gyroscope ta boot. Should shut the whiners up for 5 minutes.
post #14 of 185
It should be available soon from what I have read in other places.
post #15 of 185
The whole extensions thing is contrary to what Gizmodo is reporting.

I'm still struggling to figure out why I even read that website, considering it's wholly biased. They do tend to post stories pretty quickly, I guess, and if you can sift through the snide remarks in their "articles" you can usually find good tidbits on device specs and stuff.
post #16 of 185
Isn't it likely it will be released along with the forthcoming OS update?
post #17 of 185
What's the betting we STILL won't have a Google UK search? The only work around at present is to use a hex editor. Very annoying for UK users and people have been complaining about it for years.

I hope to be proven wrong here...
post #18 of 185
"Released"?
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #19 of 185
Did we gain tabs on top? When can we download this thing?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #20 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I thought the iPhone was quite a spectacular announcement. The iPhone is now one seriously polished product. Crossed all the boxes and a gyroscope ta boot. Should shut the whiners up for 5 minutes.

I absolutely agree, but Safari 5 with all these changes plus extensions is quite surprising to me.

As for the iPhone 4, I don't know how anyone else can come close to matching Apple's milled frame, super-glass caps, and double-stacked silicon and still be able to have a competing product at a viable price point.

And that's before you consider Apple's tying of the OS to the HW in ways that the others buying off the shelf can't begin to compete with. I doubt they are running at 1GHz like the other newer smartphones, yet they will probably beat them in most real world tests from the more efficient and refined design. We'll have to wait and see, but that is what I predict will be the case. We have the 1GHz Nexus One v. 600MHz 3GS as a prime example of what optimized CE can do.
post #21 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Sadly, it won't. There are so many people (and we all know who they are) who just compare tech specs in search of something to argue about.

I think the new iPhone looks spectacular and I'm even willing to switch to AT&T to get it. Can't wait!
post #22 of 185
Quote:

And unfortunately, its not that exciting. In the last 7 years its gone from revolutionary to behind everything not called internet explorer.
post #23 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And unfortunately, its not that exciting. In the last 7 years its gone from revolutionary to behind everything not called internet explorer.

¿Que? It's always faster than Firefox and Opera, and plays leapfrog with Chrome with V8 v. Nitro.
post #24 of 185
Released?

Seriously, does anyone at this site ever check their facts?
post #25 of 185
Get ready! Apple's developer site says "We'll be back soon" for the iPhone and Safari dev portals.

http://developer.apple.com/
http://devimages.apple.com/tryagainsoon/
post #26 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Released?

Seriously, does anyone at this site ever check their facts?

Obviously the article says that it has not appeared on the site yet, but it can at any second. Perhaps AI should have put quotation marks on released. Not a big deal.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #27 of 185
Apparently they dropped Tiger support, let's hope this helps with lean-ness...

EDIT: Downloading now in SW Update...
post #28 of 185
Quote:

Get ready! Apple's developer site says "We'll be back soon" for the iPhone and Safari dev portals.

http://developer.apple.com/
http://devimages.apple.com/tryagainsoon/

Safari news release was pulled though. At least we have a hint about the GM (candidate) of iOS 4. Maybe if we're lucky Safari 5 will actually show up today -- or at least they will put it on hold for last minute fix and then announce it AFTER it is actually available.
post #29 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Obviously the article says that it has not appeared on the site yet, but it can at any second. Perhaps AI should have put quotation marks on released. Not a big deal.

Or maybe they could have actually checked to see if it was released and then gone with a headline that wasn't wrong. Or even changed the story and headline once they figured out they botched it. But no.

Aah, it's just AI, who cares if the info is right or not?
post #30 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

What's the betting we STILL won't have a Google UK search? The only work around at present is to use a hex editor. Very annoying for UK users and people have been complaining about it for years.

I hope to be proven wrong here...

And you **NEED** a Google UK search why exactly?

To have LESS features on the landing google page than the american version?

Or in the misguided opinion that the searches include more regional content for the UK?
post #31 of 185
it's coming.
pictures are slowly coming live.
post #32 of 185
Check Software Update. I just installed it and I'm writing this message using it.
post #33 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Eh? "Behind" as in:

a) with MORE of the standards implemented than all others,
b) providing new exciting functionality FIRST (css 3d transforms and animations, canvas, et al)
c) FASTER (or leapfrogging top performer) and with KILLER JS engine
d) INTERGRATED into OS X
e) with NICE features (Snapback, Top Sites, Web Inspector, Dashboard support, now Reader, Extensions et al)
f) with new PROTECTION from flash and plugin crashes a la Chrome (Webkit2)
post #34 of 185
the reader mode is interesting.
post #35 of 185
Quote:

Check Software Update. I just installed it and I'm writing this message using it.

As am I.
post #36 of 185
Just tested it out. No tabs on top (which means I will stick to chrome which does not eat away my screen space). A welcome addition of the blue loading bar (they brought it back from 3. Other then that this is basically safari 4 for my usage scenario, I doubt I will use the reader option. As far as speed, it is now about as fast as Chrome, though latest webkits have been just as fast.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #37 of 185
Quote:

¿Que? It's always faster than Firefox and Opera, and plays leapfrog with Chrome with V8 v. Nitro.

Faster, yes but the UI seems a little dated and there are way too many page compatibility concerns.
post #38 of 185

136/160 on http://html5test.com/
• Still no MP3 or AAC codec support in the browser (obviously not Ogg Vorbis, either)
• GeoLocation has been added
• It looks like Safari included all the HTML5 forms elements except Autocomplete: http://www.findmebyip.com/
• Acid 3 test is smoother. It no longer pauses on test 69: acid3.acidtests.org/
• Always create tabs option is nice.
• Open Location doesn't seem to do anything.
• The Reader is nice but I doubt I'd use it.
• ClickToFlash isn't broken by this update.
• There is no WebKit2 split-processes as of yet.
• No extensions as of yet to test, but I doubt I'll use them.
• The effect on History and Top Sites is nicer, as well as the additional button and date info.
• Safari opens in one second, but I have an SSD so I'm not a fair judge of that.
• Sadly, no tabs-on-top but I haven't checked the PLIST yet. Over all, it seems like a great update to an already great browser.
post #39 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Apparently they dropped Tiger support, let's hope this helps with lean-ness...

EDIT: Downloading now in SW Update...

Where are you coming from? I'm running Tiger, and Safari 5 downloaded just fine (I haven't actually restarted and installed it yet, as I have to leave).

EDIT: It's actually Safari 4.1 for Tiger - I installed it, and several hours later I'm finally back and running on Safari 4.0.5. Safari 4.1 kept crashing (it wouldn't even start up), even after I removed ClickToFlash and SafariBlock (my only extras). I had to go to my backup clone to get a Safari that would work (it wouldn't let me re-install 4.0.5 on my hard drive, even after I deleted 4.1). Tiger users beware.
post #40 of 185
Quote:

136/160 on http://html5test.com/

•*Still no MP3 or AAC codec support in the browser (obviously not Ogg Vorbis, either)
•*GeoLocation has been added

It looks like Safari included all the HTML5 forms elements except Autocomplete:

http://www.findmebyip.com/

137 on latest webkit (progress element added) compared to 142 for chrome (plus ogg and aac support for chrome).
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support