or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support

Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support - Page 4

post #121 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Sunspider test

============================================
RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
--------------------------------------------
Total: 372.2ms +/- 0.6%
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah

What does all that mean to humans, in English?
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #122 of 185
Doesn't really seem worthy of the 5.0 moniker to me, but then I don't visit very demanding websites.

At All Things D, Steve said HTML5 was on the way in and Flash on the way out. But maybe the whole WWW is on the way out.

I mean, just look how bad web pages look (and have always looked), compared to printed books. Awful layout, awful typography, widows and orphans everywhere. Things not lined up, gawdy ads, spelling mistakes. Amateur hour.

The whole web experience is crappy. Finally we have something better: iPad apps. So it's hard to get excited about a Safari release when I can't wait to close this ugly window and go back to an app.
post #123 of 185
Whenever you install new software and have to re boot everything seems to go faster and so it is with Safari 5. However, having used it for 30 mins and deliberately opened lots of other software its still going very fast, particularly with tabs.
post #124 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Here's Safari 5 with today's nightlie (60820) on a newer MacPro.
RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
Total: 231.2ms +/- 0.6%

3d: 31.1ms +/- 1.7%
cube: 11.8ms +/- 2.6%
morph: 9.0ms +/- 0.0%
raytrace: 10.3ms +/- 3.4%

access: 29.0ms +/- 1.6%
binary-trees: 3.2ms +/- 9.4%
fannkuch: 13.3ms +/- 2.6%
nbody: 7.8ms +/- 3.9%
nsieve: 4.7ms +/- 7.3%

bitops: 17.7ms +/- 3.3%
3bit-bits-in-byte: 2.1ms +/- 10.8%
bits-in-byte: 6.0ms +/- 0.0%
bitwise-and: 3.5ms +/- 10.8%
nsieve-bits: 6.1ms +/- 3.7%

controlflow: 2.3ms +/- 15.0%
recursive: 2.3ms +/- 15.0%

crypto: 14.6ms +/- 4.1%
aes: 8.4ms +/- 4.4%
md5: 3.4ms +/- 10.9%
sha1: 2.8ms +/- 10.8%

date: 27.3ms +/- 1.3%
format-tofte: 15.4ms +/- 2.4%
format-xparb: 11.9ms +/- 1.9%

math: 23.1ms +/- 1.8%
cordic: 6.8ms +/- 4.4%
partial-sums: 11.5ms +/- 3.3%
spectral-norm: 4.8ms +/- 6.3%

regexp: 11.9ms +/- 1.9%
dna: 11.9ms +/- 1.9%

string: 74.2ms +/- 1.0%
base64: 7.3ms +/- 4.7%
fasta: 12.4ms +/- 3.0%
tagcloud: 16.1ms +/- 1.4%
unpack-code: 26.3ms +/- 1.3%
validate-input: 12.1ms +/- 1.9%
post #125 of 185
Even though I run Mac Pro, Mini, white MacBook, MacBook Pro, G3 and G4 machines, Apple's mobile devices and hold Apple certifications... (Sorry, really hate bragging about my situation; I promise it was indeed really-really the last time I did that)

Safari's speed heavily depended on the size of its databases (top sites, bookmarks).

I had no time yet to test version 5.0 exhaustively enough, but at the first launch nothing told me they changed that somehow. The slowdown became apparent upon days and weeks of browsing.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #126 of 185
I just noticed Apple didn't add the Full Page option to Safari 5, as rumoured. However, the Command+<click> option that was added to WebKit nightlies a couple months ago has been included.

This makes HTML5 video capable of going full screen, an issue that has been the Achille's heel of HTML5 video over Flash. Does anyone know if Firefox or IE9 is also including this feature or how it even works (presumably) in JS?

You can test it here » http://jilion.com/sublime/video

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeQuestCC View Post

After I installed Safari 5, I lost the ability to view my "Watch Instantly" on Netflix! I had to switch to Chrome to watch my show last night! Thankfully Hulu still works! Netflix please fix your site!

You have to set your USer Agent to Safari 4.1 to trick Netflix.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/h...x-in-safari-5/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

It's the fastest release browser currently available. Not that it matters much. They are all so fast that your choice is best based on the features they offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Doesn't really seem worthy of the 5.0 moniker to me, but then I don't visit very demanding websites.

It add a reader, extensions, and adds pretty much every HTML5 tag available. I can see a couple reasons why it's more than just a point update. It's not like an OS that gets an entirely new look. The content is the webpage.

Quote:
I mean, just look how bad web pages look (and have always looked), compared to printed books. Awful layout, awful typography, widows and orphans everywhere. Things not lined up, gawdy ads, spelling mistakes. Amateur hour.

The whole web experience is crappy. Finally we have something better: iPad apps. So it's hard to get excited about a Safari release when I can't wait to close this ugly window and go back to an app.

What?! I spent the better part of yesterday looking at beautiful and clever layouts using HTML5, CSS and JS on Apple's site that are interactive and beautiful. Now look at some examples from 1996.
https://www.msu.edu/~karjalae/internet96.htm We've come a long, Baby! There are websites that mimic printed books, but that doesn't make sense. It's like every default OS calculator mimicking a physical calculator when that is less useful. It's pointless. The point is to enrich the experience, not try to mimic something else for no reason.

We are getting to a point that you won't be able to tell the difference between an iOS app and webcode expect for the speed of the transition. You can already save a webpage to your iPhone Home Page in v4.0 and it will not have the top or bottom top bars. Combine that with Apple's JS to replicate the look and feel of Xcode and you something that looks like Xcode, if not performs like it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #127 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Using Safari 5 with Bing on trial! I don't use Chrome....

Reader is great if I might add! Just what I thought but sadly, ads are still running in the background!

I wonder how long it will be before someone makes a hack that simply opens the Reader when a article link is clicked? No background or just blackens it out completely?

That would be the simple solution, as trying to block the ads is a constant cat and mouse game.
post #128 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Sunspider test

Total: 372.2ms +/- 0.6%
[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai46 View Post

Here's Safari 5 with today's nightlie (60820) on a newer MacPro.
Total: 231.2ms +/- 0.6%
[...]

Guys, these tests are impressive, but there are many variables outside of the browser to consider, which is why the test needs to be compared to other browsers. Hence the option in Sunspider to compare to results side-by-side. WIthout posting other browser results it's a pointless as your machine and internet connection can affect the tests.

Sunspider isn't the only test out there. SInce it's developed and maintained by WebKit, for the sake of being unbaised it's good to include other JS tests, too.

V8 JavaScript test
Dromaeo JavaScript test Here is an image showing the comparative results of browsers. Anyone want to run all the possible browsers on their Mac or Windows machine to see how things have changed?

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/be...r/Default.html (image) Check out mrpiddy's post from Page 2 of this thread as an example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Sunspider on 10.6 if anyone is interested:

Safari 5: 295.8ms +/- 0.8%
Chrome 5: 337.8ms +/- 2.6%

No WebGL even though it has been in webkit for a while.
post #129 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

As for the extensions, meh. Can't really see me having any real need for them.

You should give Firefox a download and cruise the themes, personas and extensions just for the heck of it.

I used to think I didn't have a use for them, until I started messing around, now I can't see how one can't live without them. It just breathes new life in your browser.

Here's some good add-ons to save yourself trouble.

1-Click YouTube Video Downloader
Ad Blocker Plus (can whitelist your favorite sites)
BetterPrivacy (deletes Flash cookies used to track, Safari doesn't)
Clipple (extended clipboard)
Colorful Tabs (useful for a lot of open tabs)
CoolIris (wow!)
Download Status Bar
FastestFox (all Google results on one long page)
Fission (Safari style address bar status)
Flagfox (shows the country of the site your visiting)
Ghostery (blocks web bugs trackers)
Lazarus (form recovery)
Low Quality Flash
Morning Coffee (one click loads your favorite sites for the day)
NoScript (your web cop, malicious behavior and scripts firewall)
NoSquint (remembers your zoom level per site)
OptimizeGoogle
RequestPolicy (control cross-site requests)
SmoothWheel (smoothscrolling)
SplitBrowser (compare two or more sites easily and quickly)
TrackMeNot (randomizes searches to thwart data miners)
TV-Fox
WOT (community based trust alerts of sites)

Thousands of more depending upon your needs.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html
post #130 of 185
Reader OK, Readability better.

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

Safari 5 is not performing for me any faster than Safari 4. I am still with Leopard until 10.7 shows up. Don't care for anything in SL and don't use it.
post #131 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Guys, these tests are impressive, but there are many variables outside of the browser to consider, which is why the test needs to be compared to other browsers. Hence the option in Sunspider to compare to results side-by-side. WIthout posting other browser results it's a pointless as your machine and internet connection can affect the tests.

Sunspider isn't the only test out there. SInce it's developed and maintained by WebKit, for the sake of being unbaised it's good to include other JS tests, too.

V8 JavaScript test
Dromaeo JavaScript test Here is an image showing the comparative results of browsers. Anyone want to run all the possible browsers on their Mac or Windows machine to see how things have changed?

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/be...r/Default.html (image) Check out mrpiddy's post from Page 2 of this thread as an example.

I'm a bit bored, so

On a MacBook from early 2008, with 2,4GHz Penryn processor and 4GB RAM:

V8 test (bigger is better):

Safari 5: 2591
Google Chrome 5.0.375.55: 4910
Firefox 3.6.3: 399
Latest Webkit Nightly: 2801

Sunspider test (smaller is better):

Safari 5: 372.6ms +/- 6.0%
Google Chrome 5.0.375.55: 406.0ms +/- 6.3%
Firefox 3.6.3: 961.6ms +/- 1.7%
Latest Webkit Nightly: 395.8ms +/- 8.3% (and it didn't show the text while running...)
post #132 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I'm a bit bored, so

On a MacBook from early 2008, with 2,4GHz Penryn processor and 4GB RAM:

Sunspider test (smaller is better):

Safari 5: 372.6ms +/- 6.0%
Google Chrome 5.0.375.55: 406.0ms +/- 6.3%
Firefox 3.6.3: 961.6ms +/- 1.7%
Latest Webkit Nightly: 395.8ms +/- 8.3% (and it didn't show the text while running...)

MacPro 4,1 8GB RAM. All four apps were open on the SunSpider page at the the same time.

Safari 5.0 (Webkit) 60820
226.6ms +/- 0.7%
Chrome 5.0.375.55
264.9ms +/- 0.8%
Opera 10.53. 8343
317.5ms +/- 0.9%
Firefox 3.6.4
743.6ms +/- 4.1%
post #133 of 185
post #134 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I have to question Google's V8 test. The other browser makers seem to use SunSpider, even MS when testing IE, and the V8 tests always makes Nitro in WebKit seem excessively slow. I have to wonder if their test is fair.
post #135 of 185
Quote:

I have to question Google's V8 test. The other browser makers seem to use SunSpider, even MS when testing IE, and the V8 tests always makes Nitro in WebKit seem excessively slow. I have to wonder if their test is fair.

it's a test. browser vendors can tweak to only one test, or they can look at a broad range of tests. What would give you the best real world results? One test, or many? Googles tests exist for a reason.

In my sunspider tests, safari ran 20ms slower than chrome but that's so fast that it's pointless to even compare. you'd never in a million years be able to tell a 20ms difference in a page load. You'd have to load the whole test 100 times over on the same page to make it even noticeable.
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
post #136 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

it's a test. browser vendors can tweak to only one test, or they can look at a broad range of tests. What would give you the best real world results? One test, or many? Googles tests exist for a reason.

I agree that more tests are better, as I noted in an earlier post, but I still have to wonder if Google's is slanted in a way that doesn't favour the real world, but instead their JS engine.

Quote:
In my sunspider tests, safari ran 20ms slower than chrome but that's so fast that it's pointless to even compare. you'd never in a million years be able to tell a 20ms difference in a page load. You'd have to load the whole test 100 times over on the same page to make it even noticeable.

Even with Firefox trailing behind so far (right now) I still say the best browser is the one you prefer. It's more than just a slight edge on a JS engine. There are other engines and the app speed itself, along with its features that need to be considered.

For Mac I use Safari. For Windows I use IE with the Chrome Frame plug-in set to default. This gives me the best of both worlds, IMO, as I prefer the interconnectedness of the native browser app to the OS and the increased battery time when using a notebook.
post #137 of 185
This loads like 1984!
Dial up was faster?
Where are the pics?
Spinning spinning spinning.
And it took hours to get to the download?

CLOGGED LIKE A TOILET
post #138 of 185
Quote:

I agree that more tests are better, as I noted in an earlier post, but I still have to wonder if Google's is slanted in a way that doesn't favour the real world, but instead their JS engine. ...

Any test produced by a browser vendor should be automatically eliminated from consideration.
post #139 of 185
Oops...
There're 2 (two) embedded videos in the article body.
``
Where's your momma gone
Where's your momma gone
Far far away
Where's your poppa gone
Where's your poppa gone
Little baby bird
' '

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #140 of 185
Now it's taking over two minutes to load AppleInsider's front page with Safari 5. WTF is going on!? Should I run the Java update installer again? Flash Plug-in?
Firefox loads in an instant
post #141 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Now it's taking over two minutes to load AppleInsider's front page with Safari 5. WTF is going on!? Should I run the Java update installer again? Flash Plug-in?

Suffice it to say it does not take two minutes to load AppleInsider's front page for most users including me. In fact, it is faster than ever for me. As for Flash, I recommend the most recent version of the plug-in if you don't have it already. However, I don't think Flash is the source of your problems. It is also extremely unlikely that Java has suddenly gone awry. The most likely source of Safari problems is user-installed haxies. Disable any that you have installed. See how it goes.
post #142 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

This loads like 1984!
Dial up was faster?
Where are the pics?
Spinning spinning spinning.
And it took hours to get to the download?

CLOGGED LIKE A TOILET

Ditto. Safari 5 is all of that and it crashes my Apple wifi router so nothing can work on the network until I reset it. I can barely get a page or two half loaded then zilch. That's on Snow Leopard with a 2,1 1GB ram Mac Mini with the Apple router.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #143 of 185
This is the first site I've found detailing the new Extensions in Safari 5.
http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

Yes they're see to be more like widgets. I guess this is Apple's way of opening up Safari.
Nevertheless, new possibilities.
Unfortunately, It seems stuff like Inquisitor will still not be part of this "extensions" program.

I was mistaken. These extensions can be added to the Safari app itself and be more than just clever webcode.
What Your Extension Can Do
Safari extensions let you add persistent items to Safari, such as controls, local or web-based content, and scripts that modify web-based content.
  • You can create controls by adding buttons to the Safari toolbar, adding contextual menu items, creating extension bars, or injecting controls into webpages.
  • You can display HTML content in an extension bar, in its own window or tab, or inject it into webpages.
  • Your extension can run invisibly in the background.
  • You can modify and reformat web content by applying scripts and stylesheets.
  • Your scripts and stylesheets can be applied either universally or selectively, using whitelists and blacklists of URL patterns to determine which web pages they should be applied to.
http://developer.apple.com/safari/li...roduction.html
post #144 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Shitty ISP I'd bet. Did you download a torrent within the last day, or are you currently?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #145 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Reader OK, Readability better.

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

Safari 5 is not performing for me any faster than Safari 4. I am still with Leopard until 10.7 shows up. Don't care for anything in SL and don't use it.

Three things:

1. Readability is not better. Try visit this Ars review. When it loads view in Readability. Then go back and try it in Safari Reader. One glaring difference you'll notice is Safari loads 'all" 18 pages of the review, Readability doesn't. Same goes for Instapaper. This is a big deal.

2. It is faster than Safari 4.

3. Get SL.
post #146 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Readability is not better. Try visit this Ars review. When it loads view in Readability. Then go back and try it in Safari Reader. One glaring difference you'll notice is Safari loads 'all" 18 pages of the review, Readability doesn't. Same goes for Instapaper. This is a big deal.

Brilliant find, Ireland! That puts it world above those other two products. I can see this coming to, at least, the iPad in iOS v4.0.
post #147 of 185
Safari currently has a known bug (this was explained to me by AppleCare). It currently does not support 3-finger up/down swipes for web pages. They have no solution at this time.
post #148 of 185
your browser scores
AND 7 BONUS POINTS
out of a total of 300 points

About: Version 5.0 (6533.16)

Erh? ( http://html5test.com/ )
post #149 of 185
RIP PimpMySafari
http://pimpmysafari.com/
post #150 of 185
This:
Quote:
  • Smarter Address Field: The Smart Address Field can now match text against the titles of webpages in History and Bookmarks, as well as any part of their URL.
  • Tabs Setting: Automatically open new webpages in tabs instead of in separate windows.

... is what I've been waiting for so I can finally ditch the ghetto that is Firefox for good.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #151 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Waaaahh? At least give me a choice, I don't like part of my screen to disappear for tabs.

I don't like the tabs on top like Chrome, plus in the new Safari you can toggle your bookmark bar and get more space on top than with Chrome. I guess it would be nice to have a choice, but I prefer it the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeQuestCC View Post

After I installed Safari 5, I lost the ability to view my "Watch Instantly" on Netflix! I had to switch to Chrome to watch my show last night! Thankfully Hulu still works! Netflix please fix your site!

I am watching Netflix streaming on Safari right now as I type this, I haven't changed my user agent as far as I know, just downloaded Safari 5 and it works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

It is not what you *USE* in Snow Leopard that matters, it is a rewrite of the core code that is more efficient and with less issues, that matters. Just get it, for $29 there is no excuse not too, unless you like having your computer run slower and be more buggy. I have it on my Mac Pro (came that way) and upgraded my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini, the performance boost was quite noticeable. There are minor visual upgrades in some apps, but the system runs so much better.
post #152 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbrigette View Post

I don't like the tabs on top like Chrome, plus in the new Safari you can toggle your bookmark bar and get more space on top than with Chrome. I guess it would be nice to have a choice, but I prefer it the way it is.

Even with the bookmark bars, tabs and toolbar present on each Safari uses slightly less space than Chrome. However, with the tabs on top it used even less. I loved it! I don't think anyone thinks it should be the only option, but I surely would like it to return as an option, even if it is hidden.
post #153 of 185
Nice! There is already an extension that will force YouTube using HTML5 video to use the WebKit API webkitEnterFullScreen() to force this action.

http://www.cyberhq.nl/2010/06/08/res...l5-player.html This one thing was keeping me from switching from Flash to HTML5 video on YouTube as they didn't offer a way to go Full Screen using HTML5.

However, as noted in the link below there are genuine security concerns about going fullscreen with that command in HMTL over letting the browser app have a button and the user click a button to initiate the fullscreen mode.

Here is more info on the API:

http://ajaxian.com/archives/fullscre...wsers-near-you
post #154 of 185
There are some great extensions coming out already. The only one I am waiting on is AdBlock to be released, then I can dump SIMBL.

The link that solipsism posted (http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/) is a great resource. Also, it looks like Apple will have an official directory sometime in the near future.

Safari 5 has turned out to be a really solid release.
post #155 of 185
Quote:

[INDENT]• 136/160 on http://html5test.com/

I'd recommend to use the beta version instead. Among other things non-specified parts (like H.264 and Theora) have been moved to being optional instead of contributing to the final score.

EDIT: Oops, seems like my information is a bit outdated. The author moved the new version out of beta yesterday.
post #156 of 185
Using the XP version now.

--Noticeably faster
--I've had one crash already
--I've experienced some latency issues, but I'm sure that's my school network. It's been acting oddly this week.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #157 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Makes me think, what are all the IE programmers doing at MS? Sleeping?

I don't think Microsoft has bad programmers or anyone asleep at the switch -- they've got 3 massive problems in my mind;

1) Lots of legacy code that cannot be removed -- merely patched, because sometimes the bugs are depended on. Since IE was designed to be part of the OS when it didn't need to be, and then was made independent, and was designed to embrace and extend and then distort standards due to marketing strategies -- it's a Rube Goldberg mess.

2) As companies get older, and you get Stock-based millionaires at the company -- things get political. So you are looking for your division to stand out regardless of the overall needs of the company. Steve Jobs seems to have trimmed the fat and gotten Apple developers ON A MISSION -- but that's an absolute rare event at a large corporation.

Bigger companies favor mediocre people who are good at filling out forms and handling bureaucracy -- and they crush the dreams of entrepreneurial genius. That's why most of Microsoft's innovations are from small "think tanks" or acquired companies -- but that's true of a lot of huge corporations.

3) Microsofts success hinders them -- kind of like legacy code. They can't go to a purely standards based platform, because much of the dependency and UTILITY of IE is compatibility with the crap they created. If IE improves too much -- it isn't necessary.
post #158 of 185
Improvements:
Safari still needs to store passwords AFTER you've successfully logged in. Or at least be smart enough to know that a login failed and NOT store that password attempt.

The Block pop-ups needs to have a white list -- in fact, everything needs to have an accessible button to whitelist or "use dummy data" for a website you are browsing.

There needs to be a "see what this page can know about me" screen. It think it's vital for all browsers. You might block a cookie, but run a flash file, or have history data -- there ought to be a pop-up page you can choose to view, that shows you ALL of the data a tricky Javascript or some server can figure out when you visit. Then some way to manage and tweak things like "looking at browser history that is NOT part of the visited URL."

They need to release some VIEWER or de-archive utility for the average user who saves a .webarchive (I can open them up, and they use a SQL database structure for their cache - but this is not user friendly).

FireFox is awesome for debugging pages -- that's the main time I open it up. I'm hoping with Apple's HTML5, their iAD js libraries and other initiatives -- they come up with a great debugger and "step through code/html" tool very soon. Make the tool scriptable itself with Javascript and have hooks to integrate Python (and maybe PHP) as well.
post #159 of 185
Using Safari 5 today -- no problems so far.

I've added about 14 Extensions -- really great that they are just zip files containing CSS and Javascript. I expect the Extension market for Safari to explode -- because it's easy, and it's just a skip and jump from the iAD and iOS market.

They are looking immediately useful -- so I won't have FireFox envy for too long. Let's hope something like Firebug migrates but I'm checking out Webla right now!

Pretty cool -- Apple is really hitting on all cylinders.
post #160 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Improvements:
Safari still needs to store passwords AFTER you've successfully logged in. Or at least be smart enough to know that a login failed and NOT store that password attempt.

The Block pop-ups needs to have a white list -- in fact, everything needs to have an accessible button to whitelist or "use dummy data" for a website you are browsing.

There needs to be a "see what this page can know about me" screen. It think it's vital for all browsers. You might block a cookie, but run a flash file, or have history data -- there ought to be a pop-up page you can choose to view, that shows you ALL of the data a tricky Javascript or some server can figure out when you visit. Then some way to manage and tweak things like "looking at browser history that is NOT part of the visited URL."

They need to release some VIEWER or de-archive utility for the average user who saves a .webarchive (I can open them up, and they use a SQL database structure for their cache - but this is not user friendly).

FireFox is awesome for debugging pages -- that's the main time I open it up. I'm hoping with Apple's HTML5, their iAD js libraries and other initiatives -- they come up with a great debugger and "step through code/html" tool very soon. Make the tool scriptable itself with Javascript and have hooks to integrate Python (and maybe PHP) as well.

>> Update -- I think the Safari extensions should be able to deal with all these shortcomings -- it seems Apple is exposing HOW Safari processes the page to the extension developer. So Apple just needs to keep improving and SIMPLIFYING the core of webkit rather than adding features -- it's a much better way to do it -- create a great platform and let developers and even users create the features.

I like this WAY of things rather than cloud computing or "web-based apps." No, give me apps I control that can use web standards -- don't take me to someone's server where I have to "just trust them."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support