or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › crashed hard drive? Deauthorize iTunes

crashed hard drive? Deauthorize iTunes

post #1 of 3
Windows Vista crashed on Sony Vaio laptop and iTunes downloads, about 1000 of them for ipod were on computer. Pulled out hard drive and culled the itunes from the drive to another drive and tried to set them up to transfer them to a new iMac. They were all there, resurected and they played in windows media player on my desktop with the hard drive hooked up as an external but wouldn't play sound. I understand there is a process that I must "Deauthorize iTunes" from the old drive before I can authorize them on the new one with the iTunes user name and password.

Any Ideas from former Windows users here how I go about this process?

Thanks Jackcinnaples my first post
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackcinnaples View Post

Windows Vista crashed on Sony Vaio laptop and iTunes downloads, about 1000 of them for ipod were on computer. Pulled out hard drive and culled the itunes from the drive to another drive and tried to set them up to transfer them to a new iMac. They were all there, resurected and they played in windows media player on my desktop with the hard drive hooked up as an external but wouldn't play sound. I understand there is a process that I must "Deauthorize iTunes" from the old drive before I can authorize them on the new one with the iTunes user name and password.

Any Ideas from former Windows users here how I go about this process?

Thanks Jackcinnaples my first post

Authorize iTunes on your Mac/pc to your iTunes account you downloaded them with to be able to listen to the audio on the hdd. you only need to deauthorize a computer if you want to go over the 5 computer limit.
post #3 of 3
You can login to your account and deauthorize all currently authorized computers. Then simply reauthorize those you wish to be able to play the music. You won't lose anything and the procedure takes only a few clicks on each machine.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › crashed hard drive? Deauthorize iTunes