or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Stream of Apple's WWDC iPhone 4 keynote now available

Stream of Apple's WWDC iPhone 4 keynote now available

post #1 of 33
Apple has posted a live stream of Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 keynote, during which Chief Executive Steve Jobs introduced iPhone 4 to the world.

The video has been posted on Apple's site in QuickTime and MPEG-4, and the keynote -- which runs nearly two hours -- can be viewed in its entirety.

Apple used the event to formally unveil iPhone 4, its next-generation handset with a high resolution Retina Display, a high-definition 720p rear video camera with LED flash, and a forward-facing camera for video chat. The newly redesigned device has a larger battery, custom A4 processor, and is only 9.3mm thick and 24 percent thinner than the iPhone 3GS.

Jobs' "one more thing" at the end of his presentation was the introduction of FaceTime, a video chat service for users of the iPhone 4 over Wi-Fi. Apple will make FaceTime an open standard for adoption in other products and devices.

Monday's keynote was not without its share of issues, namely networking issues caused by an abundance of Wi-Fi hotspots inside the Moscone Center in San Francisco, Calif. But technical difficulties couldn't ruin the show, which still managed to impress many in the audience.

View the entire WWDC 2010 Keynote Address at Apple's website.
post #2 of 33
Why isn't it in HTML 5?
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Why isn't it in HTML 5?

Because Apple probably thinks it's easier to just post it to its iTunes section instead?
post #4 of 33
Ha they edited out the part where AT&T network failed while Jobs was trying to load the NY Times! They left the part where the wifi didn't work in, but they took out the part that made AT&T look bad. Remarkable loyalty on Apple's part. I just wish AT&T was more deserving of it...
post #5 of 33
Quote:

Why isn't it in HTML 5?

It may be available technically speaking, but it will be days before it streams.
Unless they fixed this from the last keynote, we're talking about 5 days before it plays and while I like Ives, why does he have to say magical and change thecfan way we do things about every product? It's a phone with video talking that will probably won't work, thus the "b" plan phone (stuttering), I mean if we talk about dropped calls, and safety while driving? Oh I'll get one but will wait until consumers bring up lawsuits about cost and streaming or will it be free due to wifi? It'll be years before you can use non wireless. AT&T just doesnt have the bandwidth.
End if rant.
I will probably get one and wonder if non iPhones can see you? That would have been great marketing.
post #6 of 33
Quote:

Why isn't it in HTML 5?

Apple has a Keynote Podcast and a web based video player is not compatible with Podcasts. You need to be able to download it.
post #7 of 33
Is it me, or did it seem awkward when Jobs asked everyone to turn off wifi and the room started laughing? He wasn't making a joke, he was making a serious request.
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Ha they edited out the part where AT&T network failed while Jobs was trying to load the NY Times! They left the part where the wifi didn't work in, but they took out the part that made AT&T look bad. Remarkable loyalty on Apple's part. I just wish AT&T was more deserving of it...

There's no part that made AT&T look bad. They weren't using 3G. They were on Wi-Fi. The trouble was there was 570 Wi-Fi networks in the room and it was causing slowdown.
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

There's no part that made AT&T look bad. They weren't using 3G. They were on Wi-Fi. The trouble was there was 570 Wi-Fi networks in the room and it was causing slowdown.

I thought they decided to use wifi then couldn't get that to work, only after seeing they had no service available with at&t. Isn't that when someone yelled out "Verizon!"?
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I will probably get one and wonder if non iPhones can see you? That would have been great marketing.

FaceTime only works over Wi-Fi from one iPhone 4 to another.
post #11 of 33
Does anyone know if you can pull the miniSIM out of the new iPhone 4 and plug it into an iPad 3G (and, of course, use your iPhone service on the iPad).
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I thought they decided to use wifi then couldn't get that to work, only after seeing they had no service available with at&t. Isn't that when someone yelled out "Verizon!"?

No. After the person shouted out "Verizon," Steve Jobs said they're using wi-fi so that doesn't make a difference. When you think about it why would Steve Jobs use 3G (an inherently much slower connection than Wi-Fi) to show off the speed of the iPhone 4? Like all previous iPhone demos this one was done over WI-Fi.

Obviously for future shows, a better Wi-Fi solution is going to have to found either by Apple or the hosting convention center.
post #13 of 33
Quote:

Why isn't it in HTML 5?

It plays great on my iPad, so I'm fine with it.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #14 of 33
Quote:

I like Ives, why does he have to say magical and change the way we do things about every product?

JI is not a very good speaker. He is uncomfortable and doesn't have the words. But he obviously thinks deeply about what he does. His pondering punctuated by pauses and gazing into space, and his (repeated) use of key phrases that summarize his products is his way of doing it, uncomfortable and awkward as it is to watch on video. I am sure an hour with him would be very different. I am sure SJ and crew have been pushing and elbowing him in front of the camera.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The heckler was the only one who implied they were on AT&T's network and Jobs corrected him saying they were on wifi. Was there something I missed that indicated otherwise?
post #16 of 33
Quote:

It may be available technically speaking, but it will be days before it streams.
Unless they fixed this from the last keynote, we're talking about 5 days before it plays and while I like Ives, why does he have to say magical and change thecfan way we do things about every product? It's a phone with video talking that will probably won't work, thus the "b" plan phone (stuttering), I mean if we talk about dropped calls, and safety while driving? Oh I'll get one but will wait until consumers bring up lawsuits about cost and streaming or will it be free due to wifi? It'll be years before you can use non wireless. AT&T just doesnt have the bandwidth.
End if rant.

Hey, get off your stupid crepe-hanging compulsion. iPhone 4 will sell like FRESH hotcakes and to new audiences like the hearing impaired with its Face Time feature. Quit criticizing Ive. He's doing a great job with his designs. iPhone 4 makes everything else look like plastic junk. What important things have you accomplished, you anonymous creep?

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #17 of 33
Also available as a download in iTunes podcast. Size = 1.27 GB
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #18 of 33
I am very late to join the iPhone party but I think this keynote and iPhone 4G presentation made me feel that now is the right time to jump on board. I expect others will feel the same. If even half the features work reasonably well I will be happy! There is an insane amount of great technology in that little box. I prefer the look of it to the previous incarnations too.
post #19 of 33
Quote:

The video I watched showed the WiFi problem. It wasn't an AT&T issue. Get your facts straight.
post #20 of 33
Quote:

No. After the person shouted out "Verizon," Steve Jobs said they're using wi-fi so that doesn't make a difference. When you think about it why would Steve Jobs use 3G (an inherently much slower connection than Wi-Fi) to show off the speed of the iPhone 4? Like all previous iPhone demos this one was done over WI-Fi.

Obviously for future shows, a better Wi-Fi solution is going to have to found either by Apple or the hosting convention center.

I think when Apple has other event, they should at least have there own private Wi-Fi. That way they won't be slowed down by everyone being on the same network.
post #21 of 33
Quote:

There's no need go make stuff up MacDevil.
post #22 of 33
For the "face time" do they mean OS4 to OS4 or iPhone 4 to iPhone4? I had thought they meant OS4 to OS4 but I guess it might be iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 - can anyone confirm/deny?

Thanks!
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

For the "face time" do they mean OS4 to OS4 or iPhone 4 to iPhone4? I had thought they meant OS4 to OS4 but I guess it might be iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 - can anyone confirm/deny?

Thanks!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/facetime.html
Quote:
People have been dreaming about video calling for decades. iPhone 4 makes it a reality. With the tap of a button, you can wave hello to your kids, share a smile from across the globe, or watch your best friend laugh at your stories iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 over Wi-Fi. No other phone makes staying in touch this much fun.
post #24 of 33
Quote:

Sad - I guess after referring to the new OS as "iPhone 4" for so long it got me confused. Thanks for the clarification.
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

The video I watched showed the WiFi problem. It wasn't an AT&T issue. Get your facts straight.

The video I saw on Gizmodo showed a dialog box that said "could not activate cellular data network," something I have seen many times on my iPhone so I recognized it clearly.

This means, I believe, that the iPhone software, unable to get a Wi Fi signal, tried to find a cell signal. And surprise AT&T had no penetration inside the building.

Steve Jobs asked Scott Forristal if he had any suggestions and someone yelled "Verizon." And everybody laughed. Why? Perhaps because the audience has had this same experience in the past and thought, it's funny because it's true?
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The video I saw on Gizmodo showed a

[...]

funny because it's true?

Gah! Gizmodo dude!
post #27 of 33
Quote:

Yeah, Apple should have just owned up and not edit it. It was a comical relief, especially the part where Steve asks Scott for 'suggestions' and 'Verizon' was shouted out from the audience.

Apple should at least put a 'truth in advertising' claus like they do in their iPhone tv ads saying "Edited for our Satisfaction and Competency because at Apple, we've said it before and we'll say it again, 'it just works'!"

But was AT&T providing the wifi service to the Moscone facility to make it their fault? or is it just a rule of thumb, if the iPhone doesn't work it's AT&T's fault, like when Obama whines it's Bush's fault and what I 'inherited' even though he'll say the buck stops with me! Huh?!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Hey, get off your stupid crepe-hanging compulsion. iPhone 4 will sell like FRESH hotcakes and to new audiences like the hearing impaired with its Face Time feature. Quit criticizing Ive. He's doing a great job with his designs. iPhone 4 makes everything else look like plastic junk. What important things have you accomplished, you anonymous creep?

You're revving a little high there. Play nice. I agree with your POV.
post #29 of 33
I've just watched the Podcast and allowing for the fact some of the meltdown was edited out, I thought Steve handled it well.

No joke when you're giving an important presentation and things get screwed up.

That's why he's a successful CEO and master showman. FaceTime as a "one more thing", was the ace in the hole.
post #30 of 33
Quote:

Exactly. The general public might misconstrue things as reflecting poorly on AT&T, or Apple panbois might latch onto it for attention. Not to mention that if it was a waste of time for 5,200 attendees to wait through, it's a vastly bigger waste of time for 100,000 viewers over the Internet. All reason enough to redact.
post #31 of 33
I found the iOS4 impressive along with the phone technology. I would almost buy an iPod Touch if it had all the same features other than the phone part. I'd rather have an iPad with all those features.

It makes me wonder if it will be a year before the next iPad has a similar quality screen, a camera, USB, and a card reader.

Will the iOS4 iMovie allow one to download home movies recorded with other cameras via iTunes and edit them? If so then when I get an iPad I really won't need another computer for most of my needs.

Since Face Time only works with WiFi it would be good to have it on an iPad using the same iOS4.
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Gah! Gizmodo dude!

Yeah, but for some reason it is still fun to read some of the articles in their anti-Apple smear campaign. Best one recently? "How Apple Tricks You" That article flat out says that Steve Jobs is guilty of "fraud".

But if there actually was a video showing that an AT&T failure was edited out, i'd be interesting in watching it. Link?
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Yeah, but for some reason it is still fun to read some of the articles in their anti-Apple smear campaign. Best one recently? "How Apple Tricks You" That article flat out says that Steve Jobs is guilty of "fraud".

But if there actually was a video showing that an AT&T failure was edited out, i'd be interesting in watching it. Link?

If there is, Verizon will probably have it in their next ads.

Was multitasking mention in the presentation?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Stream of Apple's WWDC iPhone 4 keynote now available