or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe releases Flash Player 10.1 for Mac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe releases Flash Player 10.1 for Mac - Page 3

post #81 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

poorly optimized code is poorly optimized code. it wont matter how good the plugin is if the code is bogus. SAME GOES FOR JAVASCRIPT. SAME GOES FOR OBJECTIVE C!

ahh. Someone gets it...
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #82 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

for users with modern Macs (equipped with NVIDIA 9400M or better graphics) and Snow Leopard.

That's not true! I have an nVidia video card that's better than the 9400M (I have the discrete 8600M GT) and it doesn't do hardware acceleration! (Apple's fault in this case)

Also... check this out!

This is how the official Flash 10.1 works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9lYFsRaUs

Adobe EPIC FAIL!
post #83 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulky Cranium View Post

I've installed "click to flash" a while back, just to see what I would really be missing when I got my iPad. Actually, I have not missed any flash content, so I have just left that installed.

I'm not a gamer, so the only thing I am missing so far has just been ads. Stuff like Hulu doesn't work for us in Canada anyway, so I'm not missing that anyway.

Hulu has been loosing ground anyway, half the shows I ever watched on there have moved back from next day after TV spot to like 2 weeks later, almost all I can just get directly off the studio's site.

Got my wife an iPad, haven't once heard her complain about missing website content (she usually would complain about little annoyances like that).

On a side note, tried the Gala version with supposed H.264 hardware support, still 3x cpu usage of quicktime & HD video can't seriously be the resolution they are claiming cause it looks like crap.
post #84 of 265
I've downloaded Flash Lite and tried it on my Nexus One, just like everyone else, I wanted to see what the hype is all about. Then I uninstalled it a few days later. Suddenly, many of the sites I frequent is plagued with Flash advertisements.

Not only that, Flash Lite takes up a whopping 22mb of space and slows Android down considerably, even after applying the Froyo update. I'm content with no Flash on mobile, just like I've been for the past 3 years .
post #85 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its not an argument its the reality of the situation. Do you not use the web? Are you that blind that you don't understand the vast majority of websites use Flash for streaming video and they are not using HTML5.

Besides why is it when someone says they use something, if it doesn't fit into the cookie cutter mold of what Apple wants you to use then your a troll.

Maybe you should just cut and paste becasue again you commented and said nothing.

Try using any local news or weather site and not have Flash as a plugin. See how far you get. Try using sites like VEVO or any of the other hundred that stream music without Flash.

Its not like this is something made up. For you to think Flash still doesn't totally dominate the web, you are living in a cave.

See the difference with you is you modify your behavior based on Apples rules, you play in their little arena, within the walls they create and you allow them to think for you. Which in some sick way makes you happy.

Vast majority uses flash cause no one is forcing them to change. Remember when the vast majority of the web used ActiveX plugins? Man those were ugly times.

Companies have a lot vested in flash, it's true, but the reality is that most flash on the web is used for advertising, other services already have big plans to move into HTML5.
post #86 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its not an argument its the reality of the situation. Do you not use the web? Are you that blind that you don't understand the vast majority of websites use Flash for streaming video and they are not using HTML5.

Besides why is it when someone says they use something, if it doesn't fit into the cookie cutter mold of what Apple wants you to use then your a troll.

Maybe you should just cut and paste becasue again you commented and said nothing.

Try using any local news or weather site and not have Flash as a plugin. See how far you get. Try using sites like VEVO or any of the other hundred that stream music without Flash.

Its not like this is something made up. For you to think Flash still doesn't totally dominate the web, you are living in a cave.

See the difference with you is you modify your behavior based on Apples rules, you play in their little arena, within the walls they create and you allow them to think for you. Which in some sick way makes you happy.

I still don't see how your argument supports the claim that Apple made a mistake eliminating floppy drives from the iMacs... oh, wait, this is about Flash. Well, same thing.
post #87 of 265
I bet if Apple sent a couple of their guys over to Adobe for a week, they'd tell Adobe what they're doing wrong.

I wonder what's keeping them from doing that. Gee...

Screw it. Flash clearly is a Windows only thing, and that's not good. My whole stance is to give Flash a fair chance, but since it's not working (either by Adobe's inexperience, or from Apple snubbing them when they need help) I'm gonna have to say I'm now leaning towards html5.
post #88 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Hulu has been loosing ground anyway, half the shows I ever watched on there have moved back from next day after TV spot to like 2 weeks later, almost all I can just get directly off the studio's site.

Got my wife an iPad, haven't once heard her complain about missing website content (she usually would complain about little annoyances like that).

On a side note, tried the Gala version with supposed H.264 hardware support, still 3x cpu usage of quicktime & HD video can't seriously be the resolution they are claiming cause it looks like crap.

There are also an exodus of stations leaveing Hulu for their own dedicated sites after their contract is up.

One that I readily recall is Comedy Central''s The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. These were always available on comedycentral.com, but the player on Hulu was much nicer to use.

Now, I am back to just grabbing the torrents of these shows.

PS: Hulu and others who want to protect content and offer ads do have an argument for protecting their content better through Flash than other content streaming services. But this won't last long. All the pieces are in place so it's just a matter of time before prudence makes them commit to HTML5 video or lose ad revenue to their competitors.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #89 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are also an exodus of stations leaveing Hulu for their own dedicated sites after their contract is up. ...

I also noticed that no one is touting Farmville any longer as a reason why Apple needs to include Flash on iOS.
post #90 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I also noticed that no one is touting Farmville any longer as a reason why Apple needs to include Flash on iOS.

During the demo my first thought was "This game is that important to people, huh?", then I thought "Wow! This looks completely dull and boring. Who wants to be forced to tend to a virtual farm when the game tells you to? It's like those digital pets from the past."

Then they talked about the Apple-specific additions for iOS users and thought "So they are pimping to 'Farmville' users that it's on the iPhone, but will it show up on other mobile OSes anytime soon?" And I finally thought, "I'm glad this demo is over and if this is the most prolific single app for Flash then Adobe should just throw in the towel now."
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #91 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

How about the millions of Farmville players? You know that Flash-based game whose move to having a native iPhone app was big enough for Apple to have the game company's CEO come during the WWDC keynote speech? And that's just one of many Flash-based games with a huge user base and those DON'T have an iPhone app at this point.

Your argument seems to come down to: Who needs Flash games on their phone? Which is really close to saying: Who needs games on their phone? And then slides a little further to arguments like: Who needs to browse the web on their phone? If you going to talk about needs, the only thing a phone NEEDS to do is work as a phone.

Interesting example. Farmville was always cited by the Flash shills as being critical and only working on Flash. Now, Apple announces that Farmville will be out on the iPhone soon. Looks like Flash isn't so critical.

Same argument was made before about Youtube, Hulu, Disney, car manufacturer's web sites, NBC, NYTimes, and a lot of others - and all of them are now working fine on the iPhone or well on the way.

Face it - the "Flash is essential" argument has been shown to be bogus. Flash is dead, at the very least on mobile devices - it just doesn't know it yet.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #92 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its not an argument its the reality of the situation. Do you not use the web? Are you that blind that you don't understand the vast majority of websites use Flash for streaming video and they are not using HTML5.

Besides why is it when someone says they use something, if it doesn't fit into the cookie cutter mold of what Apple wants you to use then your a troll.

Maybe you should just cut and paste becasue again you commented and said nothing.

Try using any local news or weather site and not have Flash as a plugin. See how far you get. Try using sites like VEVO or any of the other hundred that stream music without Flash.

Its not like this is something made up. For you to think Flash still doesn't totally dominate the web, you are living in a cave.

See the difference with you is you modify your behavior based on Apples rules, you play in their little arena, within the walls they create and you allow them to think for you. Which in some sick way makes you happy.

Unfortunately its still on my ignore list - but hey at least I can see you contribute. On the other hand perhaps the commenter you quoted doesn't spend all of their time on porn sites which is where the majority of Flash (outside of ads of course) resides on the intertubes. But you knew that. Didn't you.

post #93 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

How about the millions of Farmville players? ...

Ha! It seems I missed page 2 of this thread. They will just get the iOS apps for now, until it's rewritten for HTML5, which, having seen the demo, doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal.
post #94 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

During the demo my first thought was "This game is that important to people, huh?", then I thought "Wow! This looks completely dull and boring. Who wants to be forced to tend to a virtual farm when the game tells you to? It's like those digital pets from the past."

Then they talked about the Apple-specific additions for iOS users and thought "So they are pimping to 'Farmville' users that it's on the iPhone, but will it show up on other mobile OSes anytime soon?" And I finally thought, "I'm glad this demo is over and if this is the most prolific single app for Flash then Adobe should just throw in the towel now."

Once again I'm with ya on that observation!

Un-be-lievable! Millions of people waste their time with that "game" for hours a day?

Again... unbelievable!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #95 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

... Millions of people waste their time with that "game" [Farmville] for hours a day? ...

Well, in fairness to them, they probably consider that we waste our time posting on AI.
post #96 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its not an argument its the reality of the situation. Do you not use the web? Are you that blind that you don't understand the vast majority of websites use Flash for streaming video and they are not using HTML5.

Sure, more sites use Flash over HTML5 for video streaming, but even in the last few months that is changing. We have some offering an option for HTML5, others that have long sense started offering an HTML5 version for smartphones or a dedicated app, and others that have stated they will offer a non-Flash version.

I don't have wait until the milk jug to be empty before I know it's time to buy more milk. I can see the trend and Flash for video streaming is losing its hold. Adobe can try to salvage the video streaming it's lost to the largest growing sector of the market, but it doesn't look good. If you want fast and efficient video streaming to a phone, then Flash is not the answer. If you're more concerned with building once and not caring about mobile user eyeballs than Flash will be just fine.

For the other aspects of Flash it'll be a long time before webcode can begin to compete any of many levels, but it seems that isn't much of an issue either. It seems Flash apps are moving to dedicated apps for mobiles. All Flash splash pages are a thing of the past (thankfully) so that pretty much leaves businesses that use a Flash page for a sexy look and feel, but these aren't using the hardcore features of Flash and can be replaced with modern webcode with relative ease. But these sites don't matter much to the web as a whole if I'm looking for a fancy restaurant I will likely never use their website, Flash-based or otherwise.

In the end, even when Flash running on every modern mobile OS (sans iOS) and is pre-installed on every smartphone phone from the factory there is still the hurdle of usefulness to overcome. Like those super feature phones" of Japan and elsewhere and video conferencing that have been on phones for many years, it's not about technically having the capability, it's about it being a viable technology for the device. Nothing I've seen tells me Adobe has tackled that problem.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #97 of 265
people still think that the ability to use html5 as a delivery method of video, will kill flash. Just how idiotic can this truly get?

There are hundreds of thousands many times over of sites that use flash, and that are being churned out still, with no sign of slowing. And I'm not talking about video, ads, or games. At all.

The methods on how we develop sites will change, just like it always has. Technologies that give us a good platform to develop in, and remain relevant, will continue to be used. Neurotic shouting by a handful of blog readers, will do nothing to change all of this. Not even if more youtubes of badly running flash, html5, or whatever, are discovered, and presented as slamdunks "I'm RIGHT! GODAMMIT!" over and over.

Period.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #98 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

people still think that the ability to use html5 as a delivery method of video, will kill flash. Just how idiotic can this truly get?

There are hundreds of thousands many times over of sites that use flash, and that are being churned out still, with no sign of slowing. And I'm not talking about video, ads, or games. At all.

The methods on how we develop sites will change, just like it always has. Technologies that give us a good platform to develop in, and remain relevant, will continue to be used. Neurotic shouting by a handful of blog readers, will do nothing to change all of this. Not even if more youtubes of badly running flash, html5, or whatever, are discovered, and presented as slamdunks "I'm RIGHT! GODAMMIT!" over and over.

Period.

You obviously don't understand technology transitions or paradigm shifts. The way it looks right now between Flash and HTML5 is actually the classic trend between old and new in these cases. The trends and important facts to indicate that we are in the midst of just such a transition are there, as pointed out in other posts in this thread. I don't know why it's so hard for some to accept that technologies don't live forever, or recognize when they are about to be supplanted.
post #99 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You obviously don't understand technology transitions or paradigm shifts. The way it looks right now between Flash and HTML5 is actually the classic trend between old and new in these cases. The trends and important facts to indicate that we are in the midst of just such a transition are there, as pointed out in other posts in this thread. I don't know why it's so hard for some to accept that technologies don't live forever, or recognize when they are about to be supplanted.

What I described has been happening in our industry, for years, this is nothing new. But you need to have actually worked in it for a long time to see it. I'm sorry, but there are no "facts" you speak of in this thread, merely opinions and regurgitations people read on a blog somewhere. Oh, and that they hate flash.

You can yell you hate flash all you like. It doesn't mean a damn thing, and I'm sure it pisses you off to no end. HTML5 won't kill flash, other factors will. But it takes a little more understanding to know what that means.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #100 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

What I described has been happening in our industry, for years, this is nothing new. But you need to have actually worked in it for a long time to see it. I'm sorry, but there are no "facts" you speak of in this thread, merely opinions and regurgitations people read on a blog somewhere. Oh, and that they hate flash.

You can yell you hate flash all you like. It doesn't mean a damn thing, and I'm sure it pisses you off to no end. HTML5 won't kill flash, other factors will. But it takes a little more understanding to know what that means.

And you can yell you love flash all you like. It doesn't mean a damn thing, and I'm sure it pisses you off to no end. HTML5 will kill flash, it's already inevitable. But it takes a little more understanding to know what that means.
post #101 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And you can yell you love flash all you like. It doesn't mean a damn thing, and I'm sure it pisses you off to no end. HTML5 will kill flash, it's already inevitable. But it takes a little more understanding to know what that means.

see, there is your problem. I never said I love flash in my post. I merely recognize what's happening, and it seems in your blind zeal for all things Steve Jobs, you also missed I'm well aware that flash could very well die. I think you need to take a deep breath, and reread what was posted.

Not everything is 'you're either with us or against us'. SOmetimes there's some reason and rational opinions in between there as well. Which threads like this could use a little more of from the looks of things...
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #102 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

see, there is your problem. I never said I love flash in my post. I merely recognize what's happening, and it seems in your blind zeal for all things Steve Jobs, you also missed I'm well aware that flash could very well die. I think you need to take a deep breath, and reread what was posted. ...

You misunderstand me completely. Although I am, for entirely objective reasons, convinced that Flash will die, the hostile nature of my rhetoric against it has nothing to do with a, 'blind zeal for all things Steve Jobs," (But, it's interesting how some people are only able to conceive someone could be against their favorite technology because of SJ's opinion. Sometimes I think what he says and thinks is of much more importance to the 'haters' than to people who like Apple.) but is based on a deep-seated, long-standing dislike of Flash as a technology. I've 'hated' it for years, but only recently become convinced that we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
post #103 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

There are hundreds of thousands many times over of sites that use flash, and that are being churned out still, with no sign of slowing.

That is patently false. "No signs of slowing" BS

Not too long ago, YouTube was listed as a reason Flash was necessary. No longer.

NBC, CBS, NY Times, and others were listed as reasons why Flash was necessary. No longer.

Hulu was listed as a reason why Flash was necessary. They're not there yet, but Hulu has promised an iPad version soon.

Farmville was listed as a reason why Flash was necessary. They are planning an iPad version.

Car dealers were once 100% Flash and unoperable on iPhones. Most of them work on iPhones now.

Just about every week, there's a new announcement of some formerly Flash-based web site that's offering a Flash-free version.

Meanwhile, can you point to any sites that did not use Flash in the past but are now starting? After all, you claim that Flash's growth shows no signs of slowing.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #104 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let's break this down. I state that HTML5 video uses LESS resources than Flash video on the same 1080p video on YouTube.

Question about the video: I didn't see the white square which indicates that hardware acceleration is in effect for Flash. Does your laptop have a supported GPU(and was it the active GPU), and were you running 10.6.3?
post #105 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You misunderstand me completely. Although I am, for entirely objective reasons, convinced that Flash will die, the hostile nature of my rhetoric against it has nothing to do with a, 'blind zeal for all things Steve Jobs," (But, it's interesting how some people are only able to conceive someone could be against their favorite technology because of SJ's opinion. Sometimes I think what he says and thinks is of much more importance to the 'haters' than to people who like Apple.) but is based on a deep-seated, long-standing dislike of Flash as a technology. I've 'hated' it for years, but only recently become convinced that we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

that still doesn't explain how, or even why you completely mis read my post. I really don't care if you hate flash, or if you believe yourself objective despite your hatred.

I do like flash, as I do very much like css and javascript (doing a project right now as a matter of fact...) but I don't for a minute think it's any reason to believe flash will survive the next 5 years at all. I'm simply not that narcissistic.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #106 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is patently false. "No signs of slowing" BS

Not too long ago, YouTube was listed as a reason Flash was necessary. No longer.

NBC, CBS, NY Times, and others were listed as reasons why Flash was necessary. No longer.

Hulu was listed as a reason why Flash was necessary. They're not there yet, but Hulu has promised an iPad version soon.

Farmville was listed as a reason why Flash was necessary. They are planning an iPad version.

Car dealers were once 100% Flash and unoperable on iPhones. Most of them work on iPhones now.

Just about every week, there's a new announcement of some formerly Flash-based web site that's offering a Flash-free version.

Meanwhile, can you point to any sites that did not use Flash in the past but are now starting? After all, you claim that Flash's growth shows no signs of slowing.

Why because -you say so? pffffffft. ok anonymous dude on a forum. LOL.
you're simply listing a handful of major sites. All sites, that never used flash for video at a time flash still was dominate in the interactive world and enjoyed 98% plugin penetration.

I think you're getting excited over a flurry of press releases, and I can understand why...


However, if you simply see flash a method of video delivery, well that would explain your confusion.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #107 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

Why because -you say so? pffffffft. ok anonymous dude on a forum. LOL. ...

So, apparently, his name really is Groovetube. Guess his parents had a sense of humor.
post #108 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, apparently, his name really is Groovetube. Guess his parents had a sense of humor.

well at least the discussion got a little more intelligent!
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #109 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For the other aspects of Flash it'll be a long time before webcode can begin to compete any of many levels, but it seems that isn't much of an issue either.

Flash is no good on a phone because it offers no advantage for that screen size. Flash has its uses, just not on a phone.

People around here keep saying that mobile is the wave of the future, but I spend 8 hours a day at the office in front of huge desktop monitors. I find it really difficult to create anything substantial with a tiny little mobile device. Mobile is for consuming media when you are bored waiting for a plane. I am into creating things and I am never bored. The millions of normal people who go to work in an office everyday aren't writing memos, business plans, engineering diagrams, scientific research etc using their phone. Those are the people who are creating. They are not sitting around watching YouTube on their iPhone while they are at work. And when they go home, they have families and home responsibilities. They aren't watching videos on their phone. They watch their big screen TV.

I see lots of young people walking down the sidewalk staring into their phone. If that is the future, then I'm going to be very disappointed.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #110 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Flash is no good on a phone because it offers no advantage for that screen size. Flash has its uses, just not on a phone.

People around here keep saying that mobile is the wave of the future, but I spend 8 hours a day at the office in front of huge desktop monitors. I find it really difficult to create anything substantial with a tiny little mobile device. Mobile is for consuming media when you are bored waiting for a plane. I am into creating things and I am never bored. The millions of normal people who go to work in an office everyday aren't writing memos, business plans, engineering diagrams, scientific research etc using their phone. Those are the people who are creating. They are not sitting around watching YouTube on their iPhone while they are at work. And when they go home, they have families and home responsibilities. They aren't watching videos on their phone. They watch their big screen TV.

I see lots of young people walking down the sidewalk staring into their phone. If that is the future, then I'm going to be very disappointed.

good post.

or +1 as they say around here.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #111 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Meanwhile, can you point to any sites that did not use Flash in the past but are now starting? After all, you claim that Flash's growth shows no signs of slowing.

There was a survey recently showing Obj-C promgramming rapidly. I wonder if anyone woke up today and said "I think it woul be a smart career move to learn Flash"?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Question about the video: I didn't see the white square which indicates that hardware acceleration is in effect for Flash. Does your laptop have a supported GPU, and where you running 10.6.3?

Good question. I need to edit the info when I get home. That is from the official release of Flash 10.1 without HW acceleration. With HW acceleration Flash drops from using 6x the CPU as HTML to 3x. Still a lot, but a huge improvement.

This does not mean that it's become vastly more efficient for the system, just that the processing isn't being done by the CPU. But we'll need relative battery test to determine what if any power savings are had.

Hopefully they finally include Core Animation to The next Flash beta, which will really show HTML5 Canvas and CSS 3D who's boss. Those open standards can't use Core Anomation the way Flash can and will have to wait until WebGL matures to compete on that level. The problem is Adobe keeps dropping the ball.

PS: When I did the test unwashed exhausted with insomnia and had un/installed the Flash plug-in many times that day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

All sites, that never used flash for video at a time flash still was dominate in the interactive world and enjoyed 98% plugin penetration.

AOL and Real both claimed excessive penetration and installations long after they lost.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #112 of 265
This the most important part of everything you said. Young people are the future, not you or your perspective on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I see lots of young people walking down the sidewalk staring into their phone. If that is the future, then I'm going to be very disappointed.
post #113 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AOL and Real both claimed excessive penetration and installations long after they lost.

granted, however, real was only a video delivery system, which is pretty easily knocked out if you think about it, and never attained the level of plugin adoption flash did.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #114 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There was a survey recently showing Obj-C promgramming rapidly. I wonder if anyone woke up today and said "I think it woul be a smart career move to learn Flash"?

Unfortunately they don't show the deltas for languages outside the top 20:

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html
post #115 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There was a survey recently showing Obj-C promgramming rapidly. I wonder if anyone woke up today and said "I think it woul be a smart career move to learn Flash"?

I guess you don't follow the industry much. There was a segment on the nightly news a couple years ago on the fact that there was a severe shortage of flash developers. I guess that's why we made a shitload of money.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #116 of 265
I agree. Longevity is no guarantee of anything in the computer business. In some respects longevity can be a detriment. Because often companies work to maintain their current business when everything around them is changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

.AOL and Real both claimed excessive penetration and installations long after they lost.
post #117 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I guess you don't follow the industry much. There was a segment on the nightly news a couple years ago on the fact that there was a severe shortage of flash developers. I guess that's why we made a shitload of money.

A couple of years ago? I think you just made his point.
post #118 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

A couple of years ago? I think you just made his point.

once again, if you worked in the industry, you'd know that has not changed. Certainly not yet anyway, and there aren't any real signs of it. Just because some companies are using another form of video delivery, doesn't mean the main uses of flash, has stopped.

I began focusing on other technologies some time ago, before this iphone and apple hates flash crisis began.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #119 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hopefully they finally include Core Animation to The next Flash beta, which will really show HTML5 Canvas and CSS 3D who's boss. Those open standards can't use Core Anomation the way Flash can and will have to wait until WebGL matures to compete on that level. The problem is Adobe keeps dropping the ball.

I think 10.1 as-shipped supports Core Animation, at least when the browser does.

Quote:
PS: When I did the test unwashed exhausted with insomnia and had un/installed the Flash plug-in many times that day.

Half the CPU usage (Gala vs 10.1) is nice, but some testers were actually doing better than browser HTML5 performance.. So there are definitely a lot of variables at work.
post #120 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Half the CPU usage (Gala vs 10.1) is nice, but some testers were actually doing better than browser HTML5 performance.. So there are definitely a lot of variables at work.

For streaming H.264 video? I doubt that, but I'm open to some proof of that.

Canvas isn't a good test for this because it's still in a proof-of-concept phase, not ready to be used even though supported by all major browsers. We need WebGL in place but most importantly we need rich development tools that make coding for Canvas as easy as coding for rich animation in Flash. This is the very last hold out for Flash and one that it will not give up easily or quickly. Like HTML5, Flash has many facets and nothing will best Flash on that front for the foreseeable future.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe releases Flash Player 10.1 for Mac